Negative sign

Dracula

In astrology, a negative, receptive, nocturnal, passive or feminine sign refers to any of the six even-numbered signs of the zodiac: Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn or Pisces.
These signs constitute the earth and water triplicities. They are termed "negative" because they are supposed to be naturally less communicative, more receptive and more sensitive than the fire and air triplicities, known collectively as the positive signs. They prefer to draw upon personal resources to achieve their lives' goals and tend to be reserved, cautious and often retiring - in extreme cases standoffish. They may match the introvert personality. They are sometimes termed "past-oriented" because it is supposed negative signs will focus on the past and be more resistant to change than positive signs.
In romantic relationships, positive signs are compatible with positive signs and negative signs with negative signs because of the similarities in their basic personalities and romantic needs, though the ascending signs must be put into account. It is thought the gregarious nature of the positive signs is likely to be unacceptable both emotionally and physically to negative signs, while negative signs are seen as too calm, cautious or shy by positive signs, so in some cases a relationship between the two will lead to conflict.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_sign

Well that seems like a nice statement from wikopedia...

Did you have a question for others to comment on?? Here are some other titbits
Rulership:
  • Mars in Aries
  • Venus in Taurus
  • Mercury in Gemini
  • Moon in Cancer
  • Sun in Leo
  • Mercury in Virgo
  • Venus in Libra
  • Mars in Scorpio
  • Jupiter in Sagittarius
  • Saturn in Capricorn
  • Saturn in Aquarius
  • Jupiter in Pisces

Exaltation:

• Sun in Aries
  • Moon in Taurus
  • North Node in Gemini
  • Jupiter in Cancer
  • Mercury in Virgo
  • Saturn in Libra
  • South Node in Sagittarius
  • Mars in Capricorn
  • Venus in Pisces

Detriment:

• Venus in Aries
  • Mars in Taurus
  • Jupiter in Gemini
  • Saturn in Cancer
  • Saturn in Leo
  • Jupiter in Virgo
  • Mars in Libra
  • Venus in Scorpio
  • Mercury in Sagittarius
  • Moon in Capricorn
  • Sun in Aquarius
  • Mercury in Pisces

Fall:

• Saturn in Aries
  • Mars in Cancer
  • Venus in Virgo
  • Sun in Libra
  • Moon in Scorpio
  • Jupiter in Capricorn
  • Mercury in Pisces

gaer

One more tip:

All the planets are exalted in negative signs except for Sun and Saturn:

Sun exalted in Aries, not negative
Saturn exalted in Libra, not negative

Moon exalted in Taurus, negative
Mercury exalted in Virgo, negative
Venus exalted in Pisces, negative
Mars exalted in Capricorn, negative
Jupiter exalted in Cancer, negative

This of course means that the fall is the same, since it is always in the oppositive sign, which will likewise be negative/feminine and so on.

FedorFan

astrologer50 said:

Rulership:
  • Mars in Aries
  • Venus in Taurus
  • Mercury in Gemini
  • Moon in Cancer
  • Sun in Leo
  • Mercury in Virgo
  • Venus in Libra
  • Mars in Scorpio
  • Jupiter in Sagittarius
  • Saturn in Capricorn
  • Saturn in Aquarius
  • Jupiter in Pisces

Exaltation:
  • Sun in Aries
  • Moon in Taurus
  • North Node in Gemini
  • Jupiter in Cancer
  • Mercury in Virgo
  • Saturn in Libra
  • Mars in Capricorn
  • Venus in Pisces

Detriment:
  • Venus in Aries
  • Mars in Taurus
  • Jupiter in Gemini
  • Saturn in Cancer
  • Saturn in Leo
  • Jupiter in Virgo
  • Mars in Libra
  • Venus in Scorpio
  • Mercury in Sagittarius
  • Moon in Capricorn
  • Sun in Aquarius
  • Mercury in Pisces

Fall:
  • Saturn in Aries
  • Mars in Cancer
  • Venus in Virgo
  • Sun in Libra
  • Moon in Scorpio
  • Jupiter in Capricorn
  • Mercury in Pisces

That's the classical way of thinking, but now that Uranus, Neptune, etc. were discovered, it's different.

Detriment
Uranus in Leo
Pluto in Taurus
Neptune in Virgo

Jupiter in Virgo being a detriment is just silly. That's everyone born in the years 1968, 1980, 1992 and 2004. In other words the Year of the Monkey.

gaer

FedorFan said:
Jupiter in Virgo being a detriment is just silly. That's everyone born in the years 1968, 1980, 1992 and 2004. In other words the Year of the Monkey.
You can use the same logic for Jupiter being strong or weak in any sign.

Dracula

astrologer50 said:

Rulership:
  • Mars in Aries
  • Venus in Taurus
  • Mercury in Gemini
  • Moon in Cancer
  • Sun in Leo
  • Mercury in Virgo
  • Venus in Libra
  • Mars in Scorpio
  • Jupiter in Sagittarius
  • Saturn in Capricorn
  • Saturn in Aquarius
  • Jupiter in Pisces

Exaltation:

• Sun in Aries
  • Moon in Taurus
  • North Node in Gemini
  • Jupiter in Cancer
  • Mercury in Virgo
  • Saturn in Libra
  • Mars in Capricorn
  • Venus in Pisces

Detriment:

• Venus in Aries
  • Mars in Taurus
  • Jupiter in Gemini
  • Saturn in Cancer
  • Saturn in Leo
  • Jupiter in Virgo
  • Mars in Libra
  • Venus in Scorpio
  • Mercury in Sagittarius
  • Moon in Capricorn
  • Sun in Aquarius
  • Mercury in Pisces

Fall:

• Saturn in Aries
  • Mars in Cancer
  • Venus in Virgo
  • Sun in Libra
  • Moon in Scorpio
  • Jupiter in Capricorn
  • Mercury in Pisces

i did not understand it very well, so i posted it. i mean why they are called "negative" signs, and why not "positive" signs, i dont understand the logic behind this.

and what do i understand by your post is this that
Natural rulership is
Mars in Aries
Venus in Taurus
it means Aries is ruled by Mars, that is the natural rulership. Am i rite ?

and by Exaltation i understand
Exaltation:
Sun in Aries
Moon in Taurus,
that when Sun is in Aries, it is a very good thing, and Sun in Aries is better than having Sun in any other sign, same goes with taurus,
so we can say that when it comes to sun-signs, the best thing is to have sun in aries, and when it comes to moon it is best to have moon in taurus, Am i rite ?

and by Detriment i understand it is a disaster kind of thing
Detriment:
Venus in Aries
Mars in Taurus

Venus in Aries is horroful,

and by fall i understand the same thing like that of detriment but of a lesser degree,

correct me ?

Last edited:

Dracula

FedorFan said:
That's the classical way of thinking, but now that Uranus, Neptune, etc. were discovered, it's different.

Detriment
Uranus in Leo
Pluto in Taurus
Neptune in Virgo

What about Exaltation and Fall about Uranus, Neptune and Pluto

wilsontc

Staff member
good and bad, to Dracula

Dracula,

You asked:
Dracula said:
i did not understand it very well, so i posted it. i mean why they are called "negative" signs, and why not "positive" signs

Traditional astrology divides the chart into "good" and "bad". Some planetary combinations and signs are "good" and the others" are "bad". So the "negative" signs are "bad" in some way and the "positive" signs are "good". The system of exaltation and fall was created under the traditional system, so, in my mind, they don't apply to the "newly" discovered planets Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. However, we can still find the detriment for X planet, since the detriment is the sign ruled by the ruler of the house opposite the house X rules. For example:
- Uranus is the "natural ruler" of the 11th house
- The house opposite the 11th house is the 5th house
- Sun is the "natural ruler" of the 5th house
- Sun rules Leo
- Uranus is in its detriment in Leo

Ruling,

Tim

gaer

In traditional astrology there are only seven "planets". The luminaries, Sun and Moon rule only one sign each. All others rule two, and the move out this way:

Sun Moon
Leo Cancer

Mercury
Gemini Virgo

Venus
Taurus Libra

Mars
Aries Scorpio

Jupiter
Pisces Sagittarius

Saturn
Aquarius, Capricorn

Do you see the pattern?

For "negative" it might be more useful to think of "yin/yang". This gets away from the tendency to view the water and earth signs as somehow "inferior".

Dracula

Re: good and bad, to Dracula

wilsontc said:
Dracula,

You asked:

Traditional astrology divides the chart into "good" and "bad". Some planetary combinations and signs are "good" and the others" are "bad". So the "negative" signs are "bad" in some way and the "positive" signs are "good". The system of exaltation and fall was created under the traditional system, so, in my mind, they don't apply to the "newly" discovered planets Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. However, we can still find the detriment for X planet, since the detriment is the sign ruled by the ruler of the house opposite the house X rules. For example:
- Uranus is the "natural ruler" of the 11th house
- The house opposite the 11th house is the 5th house
- Sun is the "natural ruler" of the 5th house
- Sun rules Leo
- Uranus is in its detriment in Leo

Ruling,

Tim

wilsontc i do understand planetory combinations being good or bad, but what i am understanding of the six even-numbered signs of the zodiac: Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn or Pisces.is they are "inferior" or "bad"

and what is the benefit of finding detriments?

Dracula

and i have
Fall
Venus in Virgo
does this mean i am not good at love, as venus is the sign of love/likeliness and Virgo is a critical thing so it will be bad ? or not

gaer

Dracula said:
and i have
Fall
Venus in Virgo
does this mean i am not good at love, as venus is the sign of love/likeliness and Virgo is a critical thing so it will be bad ? or not
Look at it this way: Venus only can be a tiny bit more than 45 degress away from the Sun. That means, for instance, that if someone is born when the Sun is at 15 degrees Virgo, which happens yearly, that person is almost sure to have Venus in Virgo, Leo or Libra. Venus occasionally gets a couple more degress away from the Sun (due to the fact that our orbit and Venus's orbit are not perfectly), so it could theoritically happen that Venus gets back to the very last couple degrees of Cancer or the first couple degrees of Scorpio.

The bottom line: when the Sun is in Virgo, Venus is most likely to also be in Virgo, although it could be in three other signs.

You can take this logic wherever you want to go with it. Some people are going to assume, just because Venus is in Virgo, in its fall, that Venus is badly placed. Or unlucky. :)

gaer

Dracula said:
gaer i like the way you are making me feel not bad thanks for it.
It's even more fun when you look at Mercury.

Anyone born close to either end of a sign (Sun close to 1 or 29) can only have Mercury in that sign or the closest one. Since you were born close to the middle (Sun at around 21 Virgo), you know before checking that Mercury was in Virgo, Libra or in the last half of Leo. For obvious reasons anyone born in June or September has a very good chance of Mercury in a "traditionally good place". For September you can get doubly lucky, since Mercury (for reasons I have never understood) is both not only "rules" Virgo but is also exalted there. Only your Mercury went wandering into Libra, where it gets all mixed up, not able to make a decision. (Just joking!)

But getting back on topic, you now know that "negative" is figurative. Because why would so many planets be "exalted" in "negative" signs? :)

wilsontc

Staff member
why I don't use traditional astrology, to Dracula

Dracula,

You said:
Dracula said:
what i am understanding of the six even-numbered signs of the zodiac: Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn or Pisces.is they are "inferior" or "bad" and what is the benefit of finding detriments?

That's why I don't use traditional astrology, since things often seem to be labeled either "good" or "bad" and if things are "bad" there can be an attitude of "too bad for you, then" with no way to help you out. I think it IS important to understand which energy "flows" easily and which energy "flows" not so easily (such as detriments). Understanding this helps a person work with the challenges of their energies. The benefit to understanding your energies is then you can do something with them.

Modernly,

Tim

Dracula

gaer said:
It's even more fun when you look at Mercury.

Anyone born close to either end of a sign (Sun close to 1 or 29) can only have Mercury in that sign or the closest one. Since you were born close to the middle (Sun at around 21 Virgo), you know before checking that Mercury was in Virgo, Libra or in the last half of Leo. For obvious reasons anyone born in June or September has a very good chance of Mercury in a "traditionally good place". For September you can get doubly lucky, since Mercury (for reasons I have never understood) is both not only "rules" Virgo but is also exalted there. Only your Mercury went wandering into Libra, where it gets all mixed up, not able to make a decision. (Just joking!)

But getting back on topic, you now know that "negative" is figurative. Because why would so many planets be "exalted" in "negative" signs? :)

now i think i am very unlucky,
please be honest and tell what aspects are not good in me, and what negativity they can generate or incline towards me
i think they are

Venus in Virgo
but
Venus Sextile Jupiter
i think it will be of little help against Venus in Virgo,

Mercury is in Libra, and conjunct with Saturn/Pluto, that is bad
but Mercury Square Ascendant, and ASC is capricorn, can it be a help?

i ll complete this post later

wilsontc

Staff member
not good in you, to Dracula

Dracula,

You asked:
Dracula said:
i think i am very unlucky, please be honest and tell what aspects are not good in me, and what negativity they can generate or incline towards me

I think the thing that is the most "not good" is looking for the negative and the problems and focusing on negativity. Take a look at your energies and find ways to USE your energies to make the things in life you want to happen...happen! :-D Most likely on some level you are already doing that (i.e., life isn't always "bad" or "unlucky") but right now you are going through a "glass is half full" time which you need to work to "pull yourself out of".

Wishing you happier health,

Tim