Morality of Predicting Death?

Phoenix Venus

Do you think it is morally acceptable to predict death for a client? (assuming that they asked)

If your answer is no because of the uncertainty of death, would your answer be the same if you found a surefire technique?

Imagine that you stumbled across something in the chart of a loved one that indicated a very likely time for their death. What would you do with this information? Would you tell the person or keep it to yourself?

How would you refrain from letting that "date" worry you, especially if you kept it to yourself?

JUPITERASC

Do you think it is morally acceptable to predict death for a client? (assuming that they asked)

If your answer is no because of the uncertainty of death, would your answer be the same if you found a surefire technique?

Imagine that you stumbled across something in the chart of a loved one that indicated a very likely time for their death. What would you do with this information? Would you tell the person or keep it to yourself?

How would you refrain from letting that "date" worry you, especially if you kept it to yourself?
Death is neither moral nor immoral but simply inevitable -

PREDICTING Death is simple - everyone who has ever lived has either already died or shall do at some stage

PREDICTING A SPECIFIC TIME of Death requires knowledge, skill, expertise

- often experts are subject to error simply due to for example having been provided with an incorrect time of birth

....therefore proceed with caution
:smile:

Zarathu

Account Closed
You could try it once a year with horary and see how it goes. Sooner or later horary will say that its "this year, dude".

Phoenix Venus

Death is neither moral nor immoral but simply inevitable -

PREDICTING Death is simple - everyone who has ever lived has either already died or shall do at some stage

PREDICTING A SPECIFIC TIME of Death requires knowledge, skill, expertise

- often experts are subject to error simply due to for example having been provided with an incorrect time of birth

....therefore proceed with caution :smile:

Yes i meant predicting time of death :p

I suppose it does help to know that i very well could be wrong. I've been studying 7 years and it jumped right out at me with a scream but i'm certainly no expert.

I suppose it would feel different to predict a strangers death than a loved ones, but morally, shouldn't those two be treated with the same apprehension?

Phoenix Venus

You could try it once a year with horary and see how it goes. Sooner or later horary will say that its "this year, dude".

The problem is not one of wanting to know. The problem is what to do with the information when you DO know. (though i suppose i could make a horary about whether i am right.. ha)

JUPITERASC

Yes i meant predicting time of death :p

I suppose it does help to know that i very well could be wrong. I've been studying 7 years and it jumped right out at me with a scream but i'm certainly no expert.

I suppose it would feel different to predict a strangers death than a loved ones, but morally, shouldn't those two be treated with the same apprehension
?
Guidance on the subject of predicting time of death at Hyleg and Alcocoden thread http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46808 :smile:

Phoenix Venus stated:

Well Lilly, who had contemplated becoming in the clergy before he became a renown horary artist did answer such as in:

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/astrology-books/

CAI, Table of Contents, Eigth House questions:

Of the Eighth House. viz.

Death, Dowrev. &c.

404.......If the absent party be alive or dead.

406.......Whether one absent will return.

407.......The time when he will return.

408.......Of the death of the Querent, or space of his own life.

409.......When or about what time the Querent may dye.

411.......Whether the Man or Wife shall dye first.

412.......What manner of death the Querent shall dye.

Whether the portion of the wife will be great, or easily obtained, or if the

woman will be rich.

414.......If one be afraid of a thing, whether he shall be in danger thereof or not.

415.......A figure to know whether man or woman shall dye first.

417.......A figure of a womans to know if her husband at Seawere alive or dead.

Page #

419.......A figure to know what manner of death Canterbury should dye.

421.......A figure to know If the Querent should have the Portion promised.

Now there are those like who may follow the standards of AFA who see it differently.

As AFA belives by their code that one should never betray their nation.

Yet the astrologers whom worked under Hitler in Nazi Germany defected because of various issues and went to Churchill in England where if my source is correct, Sidney Omarr worked with Churchill's astrologers in WWII.

In other words where is my loyalty to my nation first, or to the Creator of the heavens like this actual historic figure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feP54aMCRDo

In other words, if you are a devout Christian, Moslem, Hindu, Hebrew, etc., you are going to have to decide is the path you choose approved of by the Creator of the stars? :innocent::rightful:

Clinton Garrett Soule

Wise men truly know how little they know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILwF5AvP7zQ

Psalm 19:1-4 New International Version (NIV)

1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
3 They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
4 Yet their voice[b] goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.

Last edited:

Moog

If you can do it (and it doesn't seem like anyone can do so accurately and consistently, or if they can, it's not to my knowledge), and they ask, then yes.

I would likely take it as a spur to enjoy the time we still have together to the utmost.

Robert Hand's speech on Ethics in astrology may be very appropriate here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L6eb4wK_Pk

Clinton Garrett Soule

Wise men truly know how little they know

Ecclesiastes 3:1-4 "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; 3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;" (King James Version)

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member

Personally I have to assume that there is a reason that every single traditional astrology treatise I read has some method for predicting length of life. Perhaps because if you were an astrologer for kings in ages past then you'd look pretty foolish fortelling what would happen in the 30th year if the native wasn't going to survive infancy. :pinched:

If the client asked, then the next question would be..."why?" As in, why are they asking? And the follow up question would be...are you helping or hurting by answering?

Surefire technique? How surefire? If you get it wrong even once then there is cause to doubt the technique. Especially when you are talking about death.

Again personally, if I stumbled upon a date (because in astrology "stumbling upon" is not such a good thing as far as technique goes) I thought could be the big one for someone I love, I would use it as an excuse to make sure I told them every day what they mean to me, enjoy every moment, capture all the memories I could, probably be vigilant on that day and pray that I was wrong. Which is entirely possible. And yes, I would keep it to myself. Because wouldn't sharing it be a bit, well...selfish?

Ptolemy (as pterrible as he was at some things) said it very well when speaking about "That Prescience is Useful"

For, in the first place, this fact ought to be kept in view, that events which necessarily and fully happen, whether exciting fear or creating joy, if arriving unforeseen, will either overwhelm the mind with terror or destroy its composure by sudden delight; if, however, such events should have been foreknown, the mind will have been previously prepared for their reception, and will preserve an equable calmness, by having been accustomed to contemplate the approaching event as though it were present, so that, on its actual arrival, it will be sustained with tranquility and constancy.

Zarathu

Account Closed
The problem is not one of wanting to know. The problem is what to do with the information when you DO know. (though i suppose i could make a horary about whether i am right.. ha)

Ah.... that is a problem. You have to determine what the person will do with it. How will you feel if the person goes out and shoots himself dead or hangs himself and leaves a note implicating you? And then, the authorities blame you and you get charged in civil court for aiding in the person's death.

There are plenty of long term problems for you emotionally and personally and for the other person by telling them that they will die soon unless you are a licensed physician and you have the medical tests to prove it.

Alice McDermott

This is a problem that every professional astrologer has to deal with quite regularly and I have a number of stories connected to this issue, some hilarious, many sad.

The organisation to which I belong and of which I am a founding member in my State, expressly forbids the prediction of death because it is such a traumatic issue for most westerners so I use this as my escape clause whenever a client asks me if they or a member of their family are going to die.

However, Chinese clients of mine were very angry indeed when I didn't tell them their grandfather was about to die as they expected me to do this kind of work.

At times I have told clients they are certainly not going to die as there were no astrological indications in their chart of that of their family.

At times fellow astrologers have asked me to look at their charts on this matter. One saw by my facial expression that he was clearly going to die so I learned from that to carefully school my facial movements in such cases. An ex-lover and fellow astrologer with pancreatic cancer asked me when he was going to die, but I said I was too upset to tell, however I did my very best to get friends to visit him and told one friend that she needed to hurry up as he would be dead by Friday.

A close friend who was terminal with breast cancer asked me the date of her death - after some deliberation I told her and she did die on that day. Unfortunately she had told other people what I said and they then became terrified of me to the point I haven't seen any of them since. I didn't cause her death, I just observed the astrological indications which clearly showed the timing.

Through reading posts of forums I became aware that hardly any people knew the astrological signatures that could describe death and were therefore making some very inaccurate predictions that often deeply scared people. As a result I have put the astrological indications of death on my website http://aliceportman.com/determining-death-from-a-horoscope/ these are very specific indeed and cover all of the very many deaths I have seen in my years as a professional astrologer. It is written for astrologers of a good level of understanding in our craft and whom therefore have some skill and wisdom. It is the article that regularly gets the most 'hits' of all.

Alice

dr. farr

I absolutely accept that it is ethical to point out potential critical periods, so that direct efforts can be made to influence the health and safety of an individual, during such potentially critical periods.
Equally (perhaps even more forcefully) I absolutely reject as being both ERRONEOUS, and unethical, declaring to someone..." you (or he or she) WILL DIE during x period of time..."

Phoenix Venus

If you can do it (and it doesn't seem like anyone can do so accurately and consistently, or if they can, it's not to my knowledge), and they ask, then yes.

I would likely take it as a spur to enjoy the time we still have together to the utmost.

Yes that is very true. It's my mom and she has terminal cancer, so that is something i've strived to do every day. Still, it's a little strange to know the time in advance.

Phoenix Venus

Ecclesiastes 3:1-4 "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; 3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;" (King James Version)

nice quote :)

Yes i'm a christian (well i guess i'd call it that if i had to label it) but this seems to fall into one of those grey areas as far as pro or anti God.

True at-one-ment wouldn't worry over death. And thus, would likely strive to bring others to that place...

And if it's actually helping others to predict, who knows. It might help some and hurt others depending on the person.

Phoenix Venus

I absolutely accept that it is ethical to point out potential critical periods, so that direct efforts can be made to influence the health and safety of an individual, during such potentially critical periods.
Equally (perhaps even more forcefully) I absolutely reject as being both ERRONEOUS, and unethical, declaring to someone..." you (or he or she) WILL DIE during x period of time..."

Very well said. There IS a middle ground! It's having a bit of subtlety :p especially as these types of things ARE so very uncertain. There is no point in freaking anyone out.

Phoenix Venus

A close friend who was terminal with breast cancer asked me the date of her death - after some deliberation I told her and she did die on that day. Unfortunately she had told other people what I said and they then became terrified of me to the point I haven't seen any of them since. I didn't cause her death, I just observed the astrological indications which clearly showed the timing.

I enjoyed reading those anecdotes. It's a shame that those people had that type of reaction. :sad: I am surprised you got it down to the exact day! Thank you for the link describing your technique (and to the others who have posted their links.)

I think it's best if i attempt to let this go, so as not to become a stress,

but if the thoughts persist, it will be good to check her chart with the other suggested techniques so i can get a bit more clarity.

Marinka

First, I'm sorry for what you are going through at this time in your life.

While I have had good results in looking at client's charts and seeing "challenging times" that could lead to a conclusion in their life, it has not approached 100% accuracy. Until my research shows that out of 1000 charts that I have predicted death and death occurred in all of them, then it is not something that I would personally bring up in a session. If a client asked, then I would give them my interpretation.

I've also found that sometimes what appears to be a clear path gets a little muddled during the retrograde and direct again periods. For example, the charts could look they are setting up and there is a planet moving into the 8th and activation of ascendent and the 4th but, one of the planets goes Retrograde ..... hmmmmm .... what looked like a carefully orchestrated dance has now lost one of the dance partners and instead of a death, there may be a fire, accident - serious but, maybe not death. Or maybe, timing is just delayed a bit.

Also and maybe not surprisingly, death sometimes shows up more clearly in the charts of the children or a spouse.

JUPITERASC

Marinka;481116[FONT=Verdana said:
][/FONT]First, I'm sorry for what you are going through at this time in your life.

While I have had good results in looking at client's charts and seeing "challenging times" that could lead to a conclusion in their life, it has not approached 100% accuracy. Until my research shows that out of 1000 charts that I have predicted death and death occurred in all of them, then it is not something that I would personally bring up in a session. If a client asked, then I would give them my interpretation.

I've also found that sometimes what appears to be a clear path gets a little muddled during the retrograde and direct again periods. For example, the charts could look they are setting up and there is a planet moving into the 8th and activation of ascendent and the 4th but, one of the planets goes Retrograde ..... hmmmmm .... what looked like a carefully orchestrated dance has now lost one of the dance partners and instead of a death, there may be a fire, accident - serious but, maybe not death. Or maybe, timing is just delayed a bit.

Also and maybe not surprisingly, death sometimes shows up more clearly in the charts of the children or a spouse.

Modern medical advances and their impact on predicting the outcome of times of danger to the physical body/'Esse'/Life Force of any individual :smile:
Actually, the Hyleg and Alcocoden were to show the actual Life (Vital) Force in the particular person according to their condition in the chart.

Hyleg is the 'Giver of Life', or the giver of Vitality. Alcocoden is 'The Giver of Years'.

Bonatti call this 'Esse' or the Condition of the native.

We now can go further to see the root of the word 'Essential'.

So the Hyleg and Alcocoden are showing the Essentiality of the person's 'nature', and according to the planet's condition in the chart it was given the proportional amount of time for living.

As you've mentioned, in modern times this proportional time of living (by the conditions shown in the chart) is prolonged by the means of modern apparatus, though in my own experimenting with Hyleg and Alcocoden in the charts of already dead persons (of which I didn't knew the actual year of death while calculating) this number does not go further then 5-6 years - and +, though in most of the cases I was close to 1-2 year of the actual death.

We must say here that an accidental death is not count here. If a person dies from a serial killer, or in a car accident, or fell out of the bridge, it does not count.

Alcocoden and Hyleg, as I've said, shows the actual amount of Life Force, or the amount of Vitality, not the destiny of the end of time of particular man

Marinka

I find the point about the life force interesting. Most of the deaths I have seen in charts and verified were a passing because of issues like a heart attack, cancers, or accidents and in those cases, the life force went all at once (or I assumed at the time this was the case). But, your statements open up the question of life force and what it is comprised of and I might surmise it might be a combination of the brain, body, and soul. With this, I might think there is more than one passing that occurs when a person dies although it would look like one if they were close enough in time. This begs the question of how a death by Alzheimer's would appear versus a death where the brain/body is kept alive to be able to harvest the organs for transplant.