Moon phase at birth

Arian Maverick

You have sun at 0 Aquarius, any zeros in your chart indicate an old soul.

Your Moon is also in its Balsamic phase, something which is known as Dark Moon. ("Dark" simply indicates that little light is visible in the sky during this phase.)

This is the last phase of the Moon, so it symbolically represents the ending of a cycle.

Here's a good article, if you're interested in exploring this influence further: Discussing People Born During 'Dark Moons'

I cannot explain precisely why I feel this is an important influence in your natal chart, but I think you'll relate to the description of its energies.

By the way, NO chart is hopeless; it may contain challenges to overcome, but you would never have received these energies if you could not utilize them to your own and others' benefit.

Arian Maverick

[Moderator edit - Posts moved here as new thread so as to avoid derailing of the thread 'My hopeless chart'.]

Last edited by a moderator:

natasa812

Re: My hopeless chart

Arian Maverick said:
Your Moon is also in its Balsamic phase, something which is known as Dark Moon. ("Dark" simply indicates that little light is visible in the sky during this phase.)

Here's a good article, if you're interested in exploring this influence further: Discussing People Born During 'Dark Moons'

Dear Arian, how can I find the phase of Moon in my natal? Thank you

Arian Maverick

Dear Arian, how can I find the phase of Moon in my natal? Thank you

I hope I'm not getting too much off-topic here, but you can determine your Moon phase by measuring the number of degrees the Moon is from the Sun. Start with the Moon and begin counting by thirty degrees, moving from each sign until you get as close as you can without passing the Sun. Remember this number, and then count how many degrees the Moon in this position is from the Sun. Add the two numbers together.

There are 360 degrees in a circle and 360 degrees in the zodiac, so it's probably easiest to first determine which "quarter" your Moon is located in--even if your Moon is not in its first or last quarter phase.

If your Moon is between 0 and 90 degrees ahead of the Sun, it's within the first quarter.

If your Moon is between 90 and 180 degrees ahead of the Sun, it's within the second quarter.

If your Moon is between 180 and 270 degrees ahead of the Sun, it's within the third quarter.

If your Moon is between 270 and 360 degrees ahead of the Sun, it's within the fourth quarter.

Now that you've determined the correct quarter, you'll want to determine the "half-way" point between the degrees--i.e. 45 degrees in the first quarter, 135 degrees in the second quarter, 225 degrees in the third quarter, and 315 degrees in the third quarter.

Then begin counting in the order of the phases: New Moon (0-45 degrees), Waxing Crescent (45-90 degrees), First Quarter (90 to 135 degrees), Waxing Gibbous (135 to 180 degrees), Full Moon (180 to 225 degrees), Waning Gibbous (225-270 degrees), Last Quarter (270 to 315 degrees), Waning Crescent/Balsamic Moon/Dark Moon (315 to 365 degrees). Naturally, when it reaches 365 degrees, it'll be the New Moon phase again.

I rushed a bit through this, so I apologize if some of the numbers are wrong.

I hope this helps, and again, I apologize for the diversion.

Arian Maverick

natasa812

Thank you again, this was quick. We are deffinitely off topic but I don`t think that we have another option. We have to eather start a new tread - wich is not an option - or maybe it is (I sound too Libra tonight...), or send PM`s.
My Moon is at 1th degree in 7th - ``sitting`` on DC. Sun is at 15. degree in Sag. in 10th. So, counting was simple: 104 degrees, so, my Moon is in the 3rd quarter.
About the 2nd step and the half-way point as also as the 3rd step - I could not follow

To add something: I just found this on internet - an automatic calculation of Moon phases, so, is this it?
Dec 19..

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat 1
moon14.gif
moon15.gif
moon16.gif
moon17.gif
moon18.gif
moon19.gif
moon20.gif
moon20.gif
moon21.gif
moon22.gif
moon23.gif
moon24.gif
moon24.gif
moon25.gif
moon26.gif
moon27.gif
moon28.gif
moon1.gif
moon2.gif
moon3.gif
moon4.gif
moon5.gif
moon6.gif
moon7.gif
moon8.gif
moon9.gif
moon10.gif
moon11.gif
moon12.gif
moon13.gif
moon14.gif
http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon/index.php?month=12&year=1971&css=moon.css&Submit=Go
For example: do we have Black Moon phase on 17o and 18o of the month?Thank you

I`ve found another link and calculated my Moon phase and it is Virtual Reality phase of the Moon

I can not calculate this since I am not taking under concideration the Sun and I think that I should or maybe just put my date of birth and see the phase...

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

[Moderator edit - Posts moved here as new thread so as to avoid derailing of the thread 'My hopeless chart'.]

I am chuckling to myself, because I used to be the one who moved posts into new threads for this same reason. I suppose my possible Pisces Ascendant overpowered my Virgo South Node for a few moments there; thank you for putting it back in line, aquarius! :p

For example: do we have Black Moon phase on 17o and 18o of the month?Thank you

It's somewhat difficult to tell from those pictures, but it seems that Picture 18 is the Balsamic Moon/Dark Moon and Picture 19 is the New Moon. Notice how the visible sliver is on the left in Picture 18, while it appears on the right in Picture 19.

Measuring angles is more accurate than observing pictures, but it can at least get you in the ballpark.

My Moon is at 1th degree in 7th - ``sitting`` on DC. Sun is at 15. degree in Sag. in 10th. So, counting was simple: 104 degrees, so, my Moon is in the 3rd quarter.
About the 2nd step and the half-way point as also as the 3rd step - I could not follow

The house positions of the Sun and the Moon do not matter--only the signs and degrees do.

So if your Moon is 104 degrees ahead of the Sun, it would be in the First Quarter phase because 104 degrees is between 90 and 135 degrees.

However, if you are counting backwards--if the Moon is 104 degrees behind the Sun-- it would be 256 degrees ahead of the Sun (360 degrees - 104 degrees = 256 degrees), which would give you a Waning Gibbous Moon (256 degrees is between 225 and 270 degrees).

It appears that the Moon is "approaching" rather than "separating from the Sun, which means that you are correct--your Moon was in the third quarter using the first set of divisions I provided. However, you do NOT have a Last Quarter Moon; your Moon is in between the Full Moon and the Last Quarter Phases. This phase is the Waning Gibbous Moon.

Remember: You start counting at the degree of the Sun and follow it through the zodiac until you reach the Moon.

If the half-steps confused you, simply use this as a guide and ignore the rest of the post: Then begin counting in the order of the phases:

New Moon (0-45 degrees), Waxing Crescent (45-90 degrees), First Quarter (90 to 135 degrees), Waxing Gibbous (135 to 180 degrees), Full Moon (180 to 225 degrees), Waning Gibbous (225-270 degrees), Last Quarter (270 to 315 degrees), Waning Crescent/Balsamic Moon/Dark Moon (315 to 365 degrees). Naturally, when it reaches 365 degrees, it'll be the New Moon phase again.
Arian Maverick

Last edited:
I am a new Moon child, my Moon phase is similar to Aries in expression. My Sun/Moon are in Pisces 7th.

Here is nice link on the meaning on the Moon Phases.

My New Moon:

The New Moon-born individual projects the self on the world with a sense of creative new beginning brought forth largely through instinct or sheer impulse. Here is one who operates best when meeting the challenge of the moment dynamically, often dramatically, who moves forward with the urge to get things going -- but may not yet have the process well thought through . . . When you are at the Progressed New Moon some new creative energy is released that marks the beginning of a major new cycle of your life. But it is not yet firmly established, and it is not yet certain just how it will develop. Often an event (or events) will occur at this time that "marks" the new cycle -- but you may not even be aware of its importance until you look back on it later. This is a time of gradual awakening to new goals. It is not yet a definite break with the past, but it is a time when old familiar patterns seem to lack vitality and you instinctively feel a sense of creative new beginnings.

I do think I am more impulsive than the usual Pisces, creative new beginning...

natasa812

Thank you Arian, it is more clear to me whan I can see the ``phase`` we are talking about... Like everyone else, I am ``visual type`` too..
So, I was behind the Sun acctualy and, as follows, my Moon is 256 degrees ahead.

Thank you Shining Ray, I found it on that link, so, here it is:

Gibbous - The Moon in the sky is increasing in light, but not yet full . . .You who are Gibbous-born give much attention to self-discovery. You are developing your capacity for personal growth in your deisre to make your lives something of value. You constantly evaluate -- constantly ask "why" -- where you are going, how you are growing, what you are doing that has significance. Nothing is taken for granted. It is important to you to make things clear, to discover better ways of doing things. You could become caught up working for a cause. At the Progressed Gibbous Moon you are challenged to perfect the methods of your new direction in life. You could call this the period of apprenticeship. Your new direction is established but not yet fulfilled. This is a stage of development in which you must analyze your growth and reorganize or improve your techniques so that you can grow beyond technique and reach out for true fulfillment.

I was indeed like this - during my childhood and in school... always asking why and learning and learning and learning... And if there is no goal, or target, I don`t see the purpose indeed in doing something (but I think that this has to do with Sagittarian nature...)

Thank you again
Best r
Natasa

Arian Maverick

I am a new Moon child, my Moon phase is similar to Aries in expression. My Sun/Moon are in Pisces 7th

I was indeed like this - during my childhood and in school... always asking why and learning and learning and learning... And if there is no goal, or target, I don`t see the purpose indeed in doing something (but I think that this has to do with Sagittarian nature...)

I was just reading the first article I posted on this thread, Discussing People Born During 'Dark Moons', and I wanted to mention a comment that the author makes. I'm not sure if I agree with it entirely, because there are twelve signs and only eight moon phases, but it's an interesting idea. I also had a professional astrologer tell me once that a Balsamic Moon would bestow me with some Piscean characteristics, so I believe it follows that a New Moon would bestow one with some Arian characteristics, etc.

The third quarter Moon is like the preparation for the balsamic moon. The third quarter follows the disseminating moon, which is the high, fun point of the entire lunar cycle. In the disseminating moon, everything comes up roses. The disseminating moon contains Sag/9th house if you look at it from a natural perspective, and that's a good way to look at it, because the disseminating moon is a blast. But it ends. Then comes the third quarter; the party's over--at least if you are still clinging to the ego-gratifying attachments of the disseminating moon phase. And such clinging is practically inevitable. What you learn at the third quarter is some significant degree of failure, and that humbles you. That's the point.

The Waning Gibbous phase corresponds with the disseminating moon he's refering to, so if we follow the preposed theory, it seems this moon phase would give natasa a double dose of Sagittarius! :cool:

Arian Maverick

R4VEN

Thanks so much for that link re the Dark Moon phase, Arian Maverick.

I have my moon in Cancer balsamic, being around 334 deg past my Leo sun.

This has been a very difficult journey I've been on, but has lightened considerably once I began to let go of my ego needs (not easy for a Leo, but also not impossible). I'd been conscious of the need to do this, but had not realised that it was due to the Dark Phase of the moon. (And I used to really like listening to Pink Floyd's `Dark Side Of The Moon' in the 70's)