Me and my Commodore 64

Cosmiccradle

Yes I see some of you smile. Remembering the time when we’d have to put in the tape over and over until it caught. The matrix printer, how happy we were that all of the calculations were on paper, lists of progressions/directions so that you didn’t have to stare at that little green screen, or having attached it to a portable black and white.
Some astrologers on this forum undoubtedly have experienced that moment, when astrology took a big leap. A new dawn was with the astrologer.

Sometimes it took us hours to do calculations, sometimes over and over again because we didn’t have the mathematical background or insight. Interpolating with tables using a calculator. A paper ephemerides for the planets. Not to speak of the endless hours going through books to learn the skills of becoming an astrologer, trying to understanding the chart we had drawn. You could consider yourself as lucky if you had the money to buy books, more often than not they were expensive, and as the wishing list grew so did the expenses. But the thrill to be able to hold that special book you had been saving for cannot be compared. And how you could carry it around for days, like it was some type of bible.

However difficult and however long it took, we bit through and in the end had a good basis and insight to many facets of astrology. We learned of horary, mundane, epoch, synastry, directions, etc. each step we took our knowledge grew. With each astrologer from Thierens to Ebertin, from Bailey to Sepharial, we read and our insights broadened. The hard work is what made us astrologers and astronomers. We did not have the net, to have the blanks filled in for us, we did not begin with Astro.com to fleetingly enter the word of astrology. What made us and make us astrologers is our choice, commitment and conviction that can only be expressed in years of continuous study, research and work.

Do I know everything? No. By far the reality always remains, there is not a single astrologer in the world that knows everything to be known about astrology, it remains a continious learning process. Some astrologers have a bigger ego than others, but that’s about it. We need each other and in that respect the net is a fantastic place to be. What is my point, this is my point, can all those surfing the net out of interest for astrology, be called astrologers?