Mars Rx Opposite Sun

MSO

So for this example, we'll take Mars retrograde in Mars H9 opposing the Sun in Libra H3.

Now a Mars retrograde produces a person who would "find it difficult to assert himself because he is afraid of the consequences of releasing his anger."

We all know what a Libra Sun is like. So the question is, what effects would this arrangement cause in the individual if these two planets were opposed?

miquar

I think that this person would find their Mars too crude and selfish initially and make an attempt to be very civilised and courteous. But Mars might keep coming at them through displays of aggression (healthy or unhealthy) in others, and perhaps burst out of themselves unexpectedly.

The tension resulting form this might find outlet through learning because of the house placements. Perhaps the person gets into debates where they get so passionate that they 'don't know themselves'. They project their own evangelism onto others and frown upon the alleged unreasonable views of others. They will probably have a problem with macho types.

At some point this would hopefully provoke the person to stand up for themselves and own their own aggression. So the person's sense of identity hopefully changes over time to accommodate Mars in Aries. They could then draw on this energy to explore more of the world - maybe travel or let loose their desire for meaning in life which can motivate them into action.

It would probably be a struggle to maintain a consistent expression of Mars, however, because of the accumulated effect of Sun in Libra being so 'unMarsy' and Mars being purely expressed in its own sign, the opposition aspect itself, and the retrogradation of Mars.

MSO

Wow miquar, that's an awesome interpretation. I like that you mentioned travel, would you say the desire to travel is repressed with a retrograde Mars, or the desire is developed when trying to smooth things out with the Sun? For some reason I keep thinking the retrograde motion of the planet would give the person a fear of travelling, even though the actual desire to go still burns strongly in them.

miquar

I'm no expert on retrograde planets - its not something I've tended to focus on really, but I'm thinking maybe I should as lots of people talk about them. My understanding is that Mars would still burn with desire just like a direct Mars, but it kind of shies away from the outer world, like an introverted person whose inner life might be full of vitality, but who feels awkward when dealing with other people or the wider world. So perhaps a retrograde Mars is ambivalent about putting those desires into action, and so they might fester a little and perhaps come out compulsively.

With regard to travel, I guess if the Mars was projected, then maybe it would be more likely projected onto people from other countries. 'I like my familiar civilised culture - why would I venture into a more violent foreign culture?' kind of thing. So I'd agree about the ambivalence about travelling.

Both my retrograde planets are outer planets and both are in my 4th house, so I don't really feel I have any personal experience of them.

So for this example, we'll take Mars retrograde in Mars H9 opposing the Sun in Libra H3. [9th is cadent/hidden, so a cautious approach to action in regards to 9th house matters like higher education, philosophy, religiion, the law, long distance travel]

Now a Mars retrograde produces a person who would "find it difficult to assert himself because he is afraid of the consequences of releasing his anger."

We all know what a Libra Sun is like. So the question is, what effects would this arrangement cause in the individual if these two planets were opposed?

Can we see the chart please?
How to attach a chart as thumbnail
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12126

mars is not prone to 'anger' per se unless it's aspecting uranus, or hard aspect to mercury could make them argumentative. We need to see the other aspects these two planets have, what houses they rule :rightful:

Retrograde planets
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22923
http://astrology.findyourfate.com/astrology-retrograde.htm
http://www.north-node.com/astrology-tutorials/retrogrades
http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/retrogradeplanets.htm
http://www.north-node.com/astrology-tutorials/retrogrades
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5796&postcount=8
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5861&postcount=10
Pluto retrograde in scorpio above

Mars Retrograde
* reconsiders before expressing anger
* finds competitive situations hard to handle
* tends to repress and so ....
* can become depressed

miquar

Mars is not prone to 'anger' per se unless it's aspecting uranus, or hard aspect to mercury could make them argumentative.

Mars isn't prone to anger in itself, no, but people get angry who don't have Mars Uranus aspects. Anything that suppresses Mars can result in anger. This includes aspects to Saturn, Chiron and Pluto in particular, but Mars Neptune aspects can manifest in anger and even cruelty either because of self-denial, or because the individual sides with Mars against Neptune and overcompensates in the presence of helplessness in others because they feel threatened by their own Neptunian shadow. Moon Mars is notorious for giving rise to anger tendencies if other chart factors collude, as is Sun Mars.

Idrew

How's this for Rx mars opposite sun.

Attachments

• Me.gif
    Me.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 8

MSO

I'm a traditional astrologer, so all this talk about Neptune and Chiron are beyond me, so I won't comment.

Nice chart Idrew, but what's the point? Are you asking someone to interpret that particular configuration... or...?

From what I understand, oppositions present a sort of "come to an agreement" mentality between the planets. In this case, Mars is stronger because it's in its own sign and the Sun is in a particularly weak area (being in Libra and H3). So to balance the two out, the individual would need to incorporate more Libran qualities into his/her personality; work on bringing out the positive qualities of the Sun before working on eliminating the negative qualities of Mars. Is this correct?

Mars isn't prone to anger in itself, no, but people get angry who don't have Mars Uranus aspects. Anything that suppresses Mars can result in anger. This includes aspects to Saturn, Chiron and Pluto in particular, but Mars Neptune aspects can manifest in anger and even cruelty either because of self-denial, or because the individual sides with Mars against Neptune and overcompensates in the presence of helplessness in others because they feel threatened by their own Neptunian shadow. Moon Mars is notorious for giving rise to anger tendencies if other chart factors collude, as is Sun Mars.

of course it depends on how mars is asspected that's why I was asking for the chart. I disagree about mars/neptune aspect though

mars conj Neptune
“This conjunction can pose several difficulties: in choice of actions, where you may struggle to establish what your real aims are; in making that final decision to attempt to achieve them, and in ensuring that suffiecient and persistent effort is then made to guarantee success. An unintegrated Nepune can dissolve that focused will, making decisive clarity difficult to maintain. Additionaly, you tend to avoid accepting the consequences of your choices, and there can be a refusal to acknowledge responsibility when such actions lead to failure or negative results.”
http://astrology.astrozoom.com/index.php?title=NEPTUNE_PARALLEL%2C_CONJUNCTION%2C_SQUARE_OR_OPPOSITION_TO_MARS

mars/pluto could also result in anger and even violence. So rather than go thruogh a multitude of aspects that *could* result in anger, let's wait and see the chart?

I'm a traditional astrologer, so all this talk about Neptune and Chiron are beyond me, so I won't comment.

Nice chart Idrew, but what's the point? Are you asking someone to interpret that particular configuration... or...? [yes, I will comment because this member canbe bothered to post his chart!]

From what I understand, oppositions present a sort of "come to an agreement" mentality between the planets. In this case, Mars is stronger because it's in its own sign and the Sun is in a particularly weak area (being in Libra and H3). So to balance the two out, the individual would need to incorporate more Libran qualities into his/her personality; work on bringing out the positive qualities of the Sun before working on eliminating the negative qualities of Mars. Is this correct?
possibly. Where is the chart please?? These two 'must' have other aspects which would tone down, or exasippate matters.

How's this for Rx mars opposite sun.

I notice a time of 12noon is this due to not knowing the time of birth?

also, mars is trine saturn and moon and jupiter it conjunct sun.

mars trine saturn suggests structuring action (saturn) should become easier and trine moon suggests good business enterprise and robust health and energy (if direct) so retro may suggest a slower person and more thought before taking action

Mars in Pisces
Mild-tempered and gentle, these guys and gals move through life in a manner that can hardly be considered direct. Mars is the planet of action and assertion, and Pisces is a passive sign that rarely asserts itself in a direct fashion
http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/marsinsigns_pg2.html

miquar

Hi astrologer50. As has been mentioned above, this is a hypothetical discussion of an aspect in isolation. There is no chart.

I listed some more aspects associated with anger simply because you asserted that only Mars Uranus is prone to anger.

miquar

It depends where the individual starts from. I'd expect one of these planets to identified with at the expense of the other, inititially at least, but just because Mars is strong in its own sign, it doesn't make it the automatic winner.

Suppose our hypothetical individual had Mars in Aries as a fire singleton, with say an angular Neptune, possibly Venus conjunct Sun, and lets throw in a Gemini ascendant and a Moon in Pisces, and suppose this person is brought up in a cultured and arty home environment where everyone is terribly civilised and self-effacing. Competitive sport could be an expression of Mars in Aries that fits with this environment, as could a kind of noble academic competitiveness. But it is also likely, especially with the aspect being an opposition and Mars being retrograde, that a baser side of Mars would reside in the individual's unconscious and be experienced through projection onto 'uncivilised types'.

On the other hand, if our individual has Scorpio rising, nothing in air apart from the Sun, and Moon conjunct Pluto in Aries (yes I know, he's dead and buried by now!), and has been brought up in a tough environment where you get what you fight for and nothing else, then this Libran Sun may never rise on this person's world.

I like this idea for a thread, by the way. I think its good to home in on things.

MSO

Although I do have this particular aspect, I feel I have my two planets nicely balanced, neither of which cause any significant problems. This thread is just about the hypothetical situation.

For instance, I'd assume someone with this aspect and Saturn in Sagittarius wouldn't be as likely to play sports, because of Saturn's "fear" being bestowed on the naturally sporty Sag. Whereas someone with Saturn in say Gemini might end up being less inclined to argue and more inclined to play sports to release the pent-up aggression.

Idrew

Hi guys...I guess I should have posted a little more than just my chart, but I did not want to steal the thunder from the original thread starter. I am very interested in oppositions as I consider mine to be a very powerful aspect, which I can relate to nearly on a daily basis. I do not know my time of birth, so I used 12:00. Miquar my Dad was very domineering and not affectionate and he pretty much dominated my Mum. Astrologer50 thanks for the interpretation, but I am not mild tempered(to say the least)

MSO

It's OK, Idrew. You can discuss your opposition as much as you want here. This thread is for the opposition of Mars Rx to Sun. As long as you have that, you're golden. : )

miquar

Yes MSO, I agree that Saturn does do that to a sign, but maybe keep in mind the other way in which Saturn deals with its fear - through overcompensation where the attributes of a sign are expressed in an exaggerated manner.

It would be interesting to see your chart as an example of someone who has found a balance with this opposition, if you feel inclined to put it up.

miquar

I see Idrew. I asked about your parents largely because the opposition fell across the meridian axis in the chart you put up, but I guess it must have featured strongly in your upbringing, especially through your father, as you say.