Location and SR

iwonder

I am confused in a big way about SR.

Do you build it for your birth place or for a place where you are at the time of SR?

If you favor a certain way, please say why so.

katydid

iwonder said:
I am confused in a big way about SR.

Do you build it for your birth place or for a place where you are at the time of SR?

If you favor a certain way, please say why so.

You can do a 'regular' Solar Return OR a 'relocated' Solar Return. If you live in another country or time zone then it is wise to do the relocated version.
There is a big difference in some charts between the two.

Personally, I prefer to do the chart for the location you will be in for your birthday. However if you are going to Paris for your birthday, but you will live the rest of the year in Indiana, I would look at both.

cassanra

I have found through some experiment that location does matter in returns but mainly I use where I will be for the year, not where I might vacation for my birthday:) but yes, experiment.
There is a feature on the astro.com in blue letters 'modify reference place" and it is specifically for such things things that look at relocation such as solars. I am not sure what else you use them for though I do believe some folks relocate charts for progressions. I am not sure about solar arc.

katydid

cassanra said:
I have found through some experiment that location does matter in returns but mainly I use where I will be for the year, not where I might vacation for my birthday:) but yes, experiment.
There is a feature on the astro.com in blue letters 'modify reference place" and it is specifically for such things things that look at relocation such as solars. I am not sure what else you use them for though I do believe some folks relocate charts for progressions. I am not sure about solar arc.

I used to study with a group of astrologers that firmly believed in 'constructing' one's solar return. They would look at different versions of their SR to see where they had to be at that time to put Venus or Jupiter on the angles--or to avoid Saturn being there. I don't know if it really worked but it was fun trying.

I do know that before you make a big move, it is advisable to do a relocation on one's birth chart to see what, if anything happens to the angles and the house placement. Actually I think I will do a quick relocation now to remind myself and see what differs in my chosen hometown from my birthplace. :cool:

Last edited:

iwonder

Thank you, all. I guess it makes more sense to make SR for the place where I am going to spend the year.

But what if I visit a place where I was born/grew up - does SR made for that location kick in once I am there?

My SR for my present location looks good for all I can tell, but for my birth place it reverses AC/DC (SR AC is in 6th natal house, conjunct DC), SR major activity is in SR 6th (natal 9th) house, with a yod involving both natal and SR planets pointing there. I understand it may signal a difficult year so I wonder if 6th house matters will suddenly stir up once I am home (or rather the place that was home before).

katydid

iwonder said:
Thank you, all. I guess it makes more sense to make SR for the place where I am going to spend the year.

But what if I visit a place where I was born/grew up - does SR made for that location kick in once I am there?

My SR for my present location looks good for all I can tell, but for my birth place it reverses AC/DC (SR AC is in 6th natal house, conjunct DC), SR major activity is in SR 6th (natal 9th) house, with a yod involving both natal and SR planets pointing there. I understand it may signal a difficult year so I wonder if 6th house matters will suddenly stir up once I am home (or rather the place that was home before).

That is a really good question, and I am not sure if it has successfully been answered. I know people who spend their birthday's in locations where the solar return will have the sun in a well placed house. If their SR was going to be a 12th house new moon, why not go to Hawaii and try to make it a 1st house new moon.:60:
Does it really work though--if in fact you are spending the rest of the year where it would be 12th house? I Don't know for sure. I would guess it doesn't really work because if relocational astrology works, then once you return to the place you tried to escape from, there you are again.:rolleyes:

I have seen how relocation charts really seem to mirror changes they make in one's chart however.

impatient1

I have been studying this methodology in my own chart for a few years, luckily spending birthdays in different locations (min 1000 miles from place I reside). I have found without doubt that the solar return for the location at the TIME of the solar return is most powerful.

It makes sense, the solar return is a snapshot of energies at the moment where the Sun returns to its original position, so where you are when that "snapshot" occurs would have the most impact on its perspective.

Yes, use the city, town or country where you will be when your sun returns. If you were thinking of relocating permanently..

Have you tried the astrocartography on astro.com, go to free horoscopes, then look to right. Astrocartography works and there is forum on AW that covers this and on astro.com on interactive, travel they offer astrocartography/world maps, which has its place and explains which planets rules lat and long where you relocate to and how this will affect you in this location. Do NOT do a relocated birth chart.

Have just realised where the confusion may be on astro.com to get a solar return for a new location, you have to find the option to use a relocated chart, which does mean changing location from where natally you were born to where you are living now. This is just so you can get a relocated solar return only.....

Hope this helps.

iwonder

astrologer50 said:
Yes, use the city, town or country where you will be when your sun returns. If you were thinking of relocating permanently..

Have you tried the astrocartography on astro.com, go to free horoscopes, then look to right. Astrocartography works and there is forum on AW that covers this and on astro.com on interactive, travel they offer astrocartography/world maps, which has its place and explains which planets rules lat and long where you relocate to and how this will affect you in this location. Do NOT do a relocated birth chart.

I did the astrocartography map on astro. You know, I checked (as closely as possible with that map) the places where I lived, and found out the planet lines that go over the places where I lived are of those planets that contact my Asc in relocation charts for those places. I hope my writing makes sense :)

I wonder if this is the way that it should be/always is, or it is a coincident.

I think I will open another thread in relocation forum.