Jupiter conjunct Eris in the Natal Chart

Lenzites betulina

Mythologically speaking, Jupiter and Eris worked together to make the sun rise in the west and set in the east for one day. This was done in order to get the ruler of Mycenae to relinquish his throne.

The aspect does not seem very common.

Here are some notable people and events that share this aspect in common:

Rabbi Rashi Shlomo Yitzhaki, born 1040
St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori, born 1696 *
HP Blavatsky, born 1831
St. Marie-Bernarde Soubirous, born 1844 *
Wright Brother's First Flight, born 1903
Fidel Castro, born 1927

The stars indicate incorruptible saints of the Catholic Church. Incorruptible saints are those whose bodies do not decompose after death, or whose bodies decompose at a rate much slower than that of the general populace. If you are aware of any other historical figures that share this conjunction, please post them.
Any thoughts on the meaning of this conjunction when seen in a natal chart?

Zarathu

Account Closed
In my opinion, while the use of Fixed stars is a useful context, let me use a food metaphor for chart analysis.

For me the first level of chart analysis is Level ONE. This is analogous to raw food: nuts, fruits, vegetables, uncooked meat. Sure you can live on this but its pretty dull in the food category. This is the part of astrology where the chart is written, the data collected, the determination of the strengths and weaknesses of the planets, houses, signs, aspects is made.

Level TWO is analogous to a strictly mean and potatoes, everything is cooked but but that's all. Now you look at the the planets and houses and aspects and signs and give a basic meaning for everything.

Level THREE: NOW in your cooking you add some spices, your put the ingredients in with other ingredients to make different combinations. This is analogous to adding all the rest of the items in the solar system such as asteroids, points, trans neptunian, vertex, sensitive points, etc.

Level FOUR: Your dinner now is at the level of a French masterpiece. You now have every nuance of flavor available to you in a complex meal that challenges your taste buds. In Astrology, you include the Arabic Parts, all the special charts, the fixed stars and many things that come in from outside the Solar system.

In the food analogy, you cannot just from meal preparation of raw food directly into a french meal. Lots of preparations have to take place before then

In an astrology analogy, sure you can use the fixed stars and galactic center, but not until you have used everything that is part of the solar system itself to look at the energies that flow through and around an individual.

Lenzites betulina

Where might you say that you, yourself fit into this food spectrum of yours?

Eris is a planetoid. This post is not about fixed stars.

I understand your opinions. It seemed like a long way of saying "Learn to walk before you run. Learn to run before you fly. Master the basics." It's certainly respectable advice, but rather patronizing. You're presupposing that I'm at a certain level below the threshold of what is qualified to study these planetoids. As these planetoids are now declared part of the solar system, they are now basics. They are just basics that most people are not aware of. To me, most charts look incomplete without the addition of many of the new planetoids.

Also, your model is not the manner in which most people learn to cook. Most people start with meat and potatoes and stick with it their entire lives.

And if most people ate "french masterpieces" on a regular basis, they would become diabetic or end up having a heart attack. French cuisine is no standard of mastery. Many French Chefs would not be able to feed themselves if lost in the forest. True food mastery is being capable of supplying oneself with healthy food that tastes good whether one is in Calcutta, New York City, or an Oak Hickory forest. This entails knowledge of both unusual ingredients and the effects of certain foods upon the body.

Besides, I'm not sure if your familiar with the raw-food movement, or sashimi, but many such dishes surpass the quality of french cuisine in both taste and nutritional value. Not that I'm advocating raw foodism(They need more protein) or anything, but some of it tastes quite well. And oh, yes, they do use spices.

Perhaps you like french cooking. The fact is, everybody has the right to make their own food choices. I like ostrich ferns and wild mushrooms I gathered, spiced, and cooked myself. I like jerusalem artichokes I grew myself. I like to eat things that most people have no regard for, or outright disdain, because they have lost their connection to the natural world and cannot tell what is safe from what is not safe. Essential knowledge of how to feed oneself in such a matter is a birthright, basic and fundamental to all species that walk this planet, but curiously enough, this is another basic that most are not aware of, including gourmet French Chefs.

Most people are afraid of wild foods, as though that poor little ostrich fern is going to jump up and bite you, or that the wild oyster mushrooms recently harvested will suddenly and spontaneously become poisonous. This is fear of the unknown. The fear can be dispelled by taking the steps toward knowing. The real thing to fear with wild foods is one's own lack of willingness to educate themselves and properly identify what they are eating. This is so for most "civilized" dishes as well. The health detriments of gourmet french cuisine far outweigh the benefits. So if you fear wild foods, that is your own business, but know that if you know little about wild foods, it is rather presumptuous to tell another who takes the time to learn and study them, that you somehow are able to assess their ability to forage without ever having shared a meal with them, or having gone out in the field to gather wild plants and mushrooms with them. I have eaten french desserts. They tasted like foam and wreaked havoc upon my system. I respect your right to hold a high opinion of french cusine, but ask that you give wild food a chance before knocking it. Most important of all is to be educated about what we are putting in our bodies and the effects of what we put into our bodies.

Along similar lines, the only way we'll ever be able to measure and assess the influence of these newer planetoids is by studying them.

I choose to study them by compiling small lists of historical people who share the same aspect. Once the list is large enough, one may be capable of looking for commonalities between the various individuals.

There is no shame in asking others if they have any light on the subject, have studied it, have possible insights, or if they have seen this aspect in the charts of others.

These planetary energies are effecting us, and it is the duty of a serious astrologer to find out how. Perhaps it is not the duty of a French Chef to do so. It is the duty of the French Chef to please French Aristocrats. I'm not so much concerned with pleasing aristocracy. That's what French Chefs are for.

Last edited:

Lenzites betulina

Also,

There is a difference between investigating the meaning of something and claiming that one knows the meaning of something. The very act of investigation, presupposes both a lack of knowledge, a desire to learn, and the eventual accumulation of knowledge. That small list of those who share that aspect is the result of looking through many, many charts.

The aformentioned mythology of Eris and Jupiter is a reference to mythology, and by no means asserts anything else. I've seen plenty of self-proclaimed astrologers assert that they the meaning of some of these new planetoids and most of them were rather neptunian about how they came to such conclusions, often times confusing the energy of the new planet with the energy of one of the more well-known outer planets. By doing the appropriate research, one can better arrive at viable conclusions. In order to do so, one must be open to it. It is my hope that there are people on this forum who share the same value for investigation.

When investigating the new planets I stick with simple aspects. Mostly conjunctions and oppositions, but am open to including trines at some point. I also look for meaningful contacts to the midheaven or ascendant.

I've seen many self-proclaimed astrologers attempt to deduce the meaning of these planetoids by way of looking for some sort of contact in their own charts, using elaborate methods like progressions, draconic charts, and harmonics, as well as elaborate contacts such as semisextiles and biquintiles - anything that makes them connect to whatever planetoid they want to connect with and then give the meaning of the planetoid whatever they want it to mean. I don't think this is the right way to go about it.

This is exactly why I am taking a more rational approach. Some charts do not require extensive manipulation in order to find contact to one of these newly discovered bodies. Overall, it seems like the people on this forum are more grounded than what I've seen on some other websites and I was hoping to have some serious discussion about matters like these. Serious discussion cannot take place if people aren't open to it. You may think the study of the new planetoids is only open those those you personally deem the most high, and you yourself may not be comfortable discussing them, preferring to infer not to bother with them at all, but maybe others are.

I was encouraged to study the new planetoids by a very capable astrologer of over 30 years experience(a Gourmet French Chef, by your definition). I'm sorry that nobody encouraged you. But don't go and presume you know what level somebody is at. My level is what it is, and does not fit into your gourmet food model.

To deter people from pursuing their interests is not good. I was in a metaphysical bookshop recently, overhearing two young men ardently discuss astrology, mayan astrology, and mayan elders. Their ungrounded neptunian energies irritated me. I was reminded of being reprimanded myself in the past for talking in such manners and felt the urge to reprimand them, just as you feel the urge to patronize me. Instead I kept quiet and analyzed the situation. The two boys were well read, citing authors back and fourth. I realized that if they were serious, that maybe in ten, twenty, thirty years they could accomplish great things. And if it was a phase, that's okay too, because everybody goes through phases as a part of their development. If they weren't serious, they would eventually go on to do something else. They didn't need me to judge them, reprimand them for being ungrounded, or otherwise deter them from doing what they were doing. Consider this.

Last edited:

Bjorkstrand

Get scientific, myths don't work, Eris has to do with the 1st chakra and the 1st layer of the aura. Super human qualities.
Jupiter conjunct Eris is too general, millions of people are going to have it.
You aren't going to SEE the behavior.
Study sun conjunct eris
Astrology is a science.

Jim

Lenzites betulina

I thought it was rather clear that when using a phrase such as, "Mythologically speaking" to begin a statement, that the statement was a report of mythology, and qualified no quantitive conclusions of the author. It's basically the same as saying, "According to mythology". Such a phrase never translates into, "According to me" when used in proper english. I also thought this was relatively clear that when ended with, "Any thoughts on the meaning of this conjunction..." infered that no viable conclusions had been made on behalf of the author, and that mythology was only one of the possible considerations of the subject in question. Now, if the "Mythologically speaking" part were followed by "therefore", it would be a scientific faux pas, as one would be resting their conclusion on the basis of a mythology and a mythology cannot be used as an axiom.

Now, as far as I'm aware, there are a few different methods of determining the energy of a new planet. If you know of any other methods, please share them, as it is vital that the new planets are understood and any contributing method of doing so is a step in the right direction for all astrologers.

Here are the methods I'm aware of.

- The astronomy of the planet offers much symbolism: It's size, chemical composition, distance from the sun, length of orbit, tilt of orbit, and rotational speed.

- The mythology of the planet offers potential insights.

- Studying the placement of the planet in the natal charts of many many people, looking at prominent placements and conjunctions with familiar planets so that the energy is empasized.

- Studying the planet's movement throughout the signs and if/how that corresponds to different historical periods.

- Studying the claims of others and cross-referencing them with one's own research and conclusions.

- "Tuning" into the planet via meditation.

- Cross-referencing all of the above information, looking for commonalities and differences. If similar conclusions are drawn by each of the respective methods, one may be on the right track. If various methods yield different results, it is important to determine which result, if any, are most accurate. These are my techniques. I emphasize cross-referencing. I personally make no conclusions until each of these avenues have been explored and systematically cross-referenced. None of these methods is able to provide adequate answers when used by itself and without the process of cross-referencing.

- Some people like to study what happened the year the planet was discovered as an indicator of its energy. I'm not comfortable with this methods, as I've seen it yield unreliable results. A lot of blogger astrologers seem to use this technique and mistake the energy of the planet in question with the influence of uranus, neptune, and/or pluto. I have also seen one astrology blog claiming one new planet did something, and a different astrology blog saying a different new planet did the same exact thing. As you see, I take every blog with a grain of salt, due to discrepancies like this. As I have a habit of cross-referencing all the (potential, or reported) information I obtain about any new planet on the internet, I have noticed several inconsistencies among "professional" astrologers. I feel this technique is best left alone until after the first techniques have been evaluated and synergized.

Anyway, now that we've cleared that up I'd like to know how you arrived at that information about Eris. If you have a method you think is better let me know. I would be more than happy to test it.

I don't think Jupiter is too slow. It's the fastest moving of the outer planets. Although it will transit Eris for a longer period of time that the inner planets, it also transits Eris less frequently that the inner planets. It kind of balances out.

Jupiter conjunct Eris would be more "generational" while sun conjunct Eris would be more "regular". Thus, although many people born within a given alotment of time would have Jupiter conjunct Eris, the aspect may not be seen again for another 13-14 years, in this sense, it is more rare. Rarity creates uniqueness, even if generational. (Correct me if I'm wrong on the speed of planetary movement accross the ecliptic, as this is the basis of the point I'm trying to make. If I'm wrong on that, i'd like to be corrected.)

BTW: if too many people have this aspect, please upload some charts or share the names of any historical people who have it. I'd be glad to look at them.

Also, if the outer planets had no effect, we wouldn't have them. The study of astrology is the study of the influences of the planets upon the person. Each planet included in the solar system has an effect. The trick is in understanding it's influence, even if subtle.

Let's say Jupiter is prominent in the chart of Jupiter conjunct Eris. Would Eris not have more influence by virtue of its contact to Jupiter? I would say so. What do you think?

Last edited:

L. J. Johnson

I thought it was rather clear that when using a phrase such as, "Mythologically speaking" to begin a statement, that the statement was a report of mythology, and qualified no quantitive conclusions of the author. It's basically the same as saying, "According to mythology". Such a phrase never translates into, "According to me" when used in proper english. I also thought this was relatively clear that when ended with, "Any thoughts on the meaning of this conjunction..." infered that no viable conclusions had been made on behalf of the author, and that mythology was only one of the possible considerations of the subject in question. Now, if the "Mythologically speaking" part were followed by "therefore", it would be a scientific faux pas, as one would be resting their conclusion on the basis of a mythology and a mythology cannot be used as an axiom.

Now, as far as I'm aware, there are a few different methods of determining the energy of a new planet. If you know of any other methods, please share them, as it is vital that the new planets are understood and any contributing method of doing so is a step in the right direction for all astrologers.

Here are the methods I'm aware of.

- The astronomy of the planet offers much symbolism: It's size, chemical composition, distance from the sun, length of orbit, tilt of orbit, and rotational speed.

- The mythology of the planet offers potential insights.

- Studying the placement of the planet in the natal charts of many many people, looking at prominent placements and conjunctions with familiar planets so that the energy is empasized.

- Studying the planet's movement throughout the signs and if/how that corresponds to different historical periods.

- Studying the claims of others and cross-referencing them with one's own research and conclusions.

- "Tuning" into the planet via meditation.

- Cross-referencing all of the above information, looking for commonalities and differences. If similar conclusions are drawn by each of the respective methods, one may be on the right track. If various methods yield different results, it is important to determine which result, if any, are most accurate. These are my techniques. I emphasize cross-referencing. I personally make no conclusions until each of these avenues have been explored and systematically cross-referenced. None of these methods is able to provide adequate answers when used by itself and without the process of cross-referencing.

- Some people like to study what happened the year the planet was discovered as an indicator of its energy. I'm not comfortable with this methods, as I've seen it yield unreliable results. A lot of blogger astrologers seem to use this technique and mistake the energy of the planet in question with the influence of uranus, neptune, and/or pluto. I have also seen one astrology blog claiming one new planet did something, and a different astrology blog saying a different new planet did the same exact thing. As you see, I take every blog with a grain of salt, due to discrepancies like this. As I have a habit of cross-referencing all the (potential, or reported) information I obtain about any new planet on the internet, I have noticed several inconsistencies among "professional" astrologers. I feel this technique is best left alone until after the first techniques have been evaluated and synergized.

Anyway, now that we've cleared that up I'd like to know how you arrived at that information about Eris. If you have a method you think is better let me know. I would be more than happy to test it.

I don't think Jupiter is too slow. It's the fastest moving of the outer planets. Although it will transit Eris for a longer period of time that the inner planets, it also transits Eris less frequently that the inner planets. It kind of balances out.

Jupiter conjunct Eris would be more "generational" while sun conjunct Eris would be more "regular". Thus, although many people born within a given alotment of time would have Jupiter conjunct Eris, the aspect may not be seen again for another 13-14 years, in this sense, it is more rare. Rarity creates uniqueness, even if generational. (Correct me if I'm wrong on the speed of planetary movement accross the ecliptic, as this is the basis of the point I'm trying to make. If I'm wrong on that, i'd like to be corrected.)

BTW: if too many people have this aspect, please upload some charts or share the names of any historical people who have it. I'd be glad to look at them.

Also, if the outer planets had no effect, we wouldn't have them. The study of astrology is the study of the influences of the planets upon the person. Each planet included in the solar system has an effect. The trick is in understanding it's influence, even if subtle.

Let's say Jupiter is prominent in the chart of Jupiter conjunct Eris. Would Eris not have more influence by virtue of its contact to Jupiter? I would say so. What do you think?
I was born 1.13.52 Springfield mo at 10:44 pm. I have a grand trine and an incomplete cardinal square. Jupiter conjunct Eris in my 7th house it strategically located in both. I am female relatively pretty with exaggerated curves on a small frame. I also used to have an extremely high aptitude for all subjects. I also came from a very disfunctional family as the scapegoat. Many opportunities came my way and passed me by. Trouble was constant. I was reasonably healthy until 2000 when cancer became a problem 3 times in 10 years. I also am a very strong empath and occasionally have telepathy and precognitive dreams. Over there years this has grown. I have had a strong interest in astrology and other such tools for over 50 years. I used to do charts leaning on Robert Hand as a mentor. But I never became a professional.

I offer this data for your files. because many astrologers have told me how lucky I was, but they were so very wrong. When I look at a chart I see geometry within the aspects, as well as the standard interpretation tools. So far, (I'm 71) the blessings come when I practice service to others. Make what you will of this and if you are motivated to reply, I welcome it.
Jean

sslaird

I am a female born 5-19-1963 Jupiter conjunction Eris 5th house in Aries. I have had luck financially when I have stood up for myself against bad treatment. My moon is 4 degrees away, also in Aries. I have no skill at going along to get along. Like the person above I have not been very lucky, but I attribute that to grand cross in fixed signs on my angles; have had to work hard, which I have learned to enjoy. Also like the person above I have exaggerated curves without extra weight and am mostly attractive, but am of average height.

Diem11

Jupiter and Eris will conjoin again on the 26th of April. It will also be the time of the 21st Century's Jupiter Return. Let's watch.