John Frawley Books

MSO

Anyone have the books "The Real Astrology" and/or "The Real Astrology Applied" by John Frawley?

I'm thinking about buying these books. I heard they were really good, just looking for confirmation.

dr. farr

(Following is ONLY my own personal opinion)

I really dislike "The Real Astrology"! Its an attacking book on Modernist astrology full of vituperation; however, his second book, "The Real Astrology Applied", is a worthy effort, with some valuable information and insights.

MSO

Yeah I read a little of the first one, I thought it was funny the way it made fun of moderners :lol:

But I'm thinking about getting the second book, if it's standalone.

dr. farr

Yes, it is but I prefer the Anthony Louis horary (first edition one) to all others; of course I use a very different approach to horary* than what is to be found in either of those books:w00t: (Dr Eccentric stikes again!)

*which I refer to as "Ankara horary" but which is more correctly known (historically) as "Ottoman astrology"...

waybread

I looked at these books in a New Age Book store once, and got really turned off by his "straw man" attacks on modern astrology. As in, anyone can make fun of the worst material in any branch of astrology. These aren't really textbooks in traditional astrology; more like critiques.

MSO

I looked at these books in a New Age Book store once, and got really turned off by his "straw man" attacks on modern astrology. As in, anyone can make fun of the worst material in any branch of astrology. These aren't really textbooks in traditional astrology; more like critiques.
What would you recommend as a good traditional textbook?

MSO

Ok, how about Classic Astrology for Modern Living by J. Lee Lehman? Anyone read this? Thoughts on it?

dr. farr

A lot of history in the Lehman book, but also good explanations and information on methods of value.
Lehman book's on asteroids (!!), by the way, is one of the very best works on this controversial subject.
(Both Lehman books are easily available from astroamerica.com)

MSO

A lot of history in the Lehman book, but also good explanations and information on methods of value.
Lehman book's on asteroids (!!), by the way, is one of the very best works on this controversial subject.
(Both Lehman books are easily available from astroamerica.com)
I just bought the one I listed (too impatient to wait for an answer, darn Aries Mars *shakes fist*).

I also bought [FONT=verdana, arial]Book of Instructions in the Elements of the Art of Astrology by Al Biruni. I'm hoping that one turns out to be a good one![/FONT]

dr. farr

The Al-Biruni book is, of course, an Islamic-transitional era classic, but please remember it is influenced by the cultural context of those times (11th century Middle East) The Al-Biruni book* represents an astrological outlook prior to a kind of "reorganization" of Western astrology toward a more European-cultural based outlook, which "synthesis" was undertaken by the work of Guido Bonatti in the 13th century.

*which is in my personal list of my top 15 favorite astrology books

waybread

I recommend Avelar & Rebeiro, On the Heavenly Spheres. I think it's available through amazon.com & the AFA on-line book store.

Inanna

I recommend Avelar & Rebeiro, On the Heavenly Spheres. I think it's available through amazon.com & the AFA on-line book store.

As a newbie into astrology and in particular traditional astrology (and so horary as thats where traditionally all astrologers learnt their craft) I can completely vouch for this book being bloody brilliant :D

And yes, whilst Frawley's 'Real Astrology' is a bit of a rant, if you read it objectively you can access an awful lot of interesting information that will help you adjust your mindset to include traditional approaches in your studies.