Is Satan/Devil the Ego

NancyS

What you describe is the ego networking. I do think the ego can remain rooted in the senses while networking outward from them. Disconnection from the senses I'd associate more with certain kinds of thoughts. Thoughts of escape

Not sure what you mean by networking... but yeah the ego being rooted in the senses, truly experiencing the here-and-now, is basically what meditation is. You're reduced to a mere point of perspective in the present moment. And it is here, as the yogis say*, one finds the Truth. However most of the time we are disconnected from the senses and living in our mind, therefore being cut off from reality.

Coming off of that, a popular moniker for satan is the "Lord of Deceit". So in a sense, satan is a symbol for this disconnection from reality.

(* going by hearsay; as a Gemini with ADD I have no clue what this is like:wink:)

*emma*

Banned
Does anyone here really give a t ****

I will die within the nezt 20 or 30 years if im lucky to live that long, the ONLY thing i will be worried about is what i did or didnt do in my life and what i can leave my kids i couldnt give a rats **** about satan the devil god botherers jehovahs and all the draculas in this life, they are totally meaningless in reality

Anyone or their agent that spreads fear is a no mark and irrelevant totally in this good life, all fear mongers can fo to he,l nd stay in their own creation :)

Last edited:

*emma*

Banned
God is the definition of life, consciousness, existence, awareness. So if Satan exists in opposition to God, Satan is the void; the pull of nothingness tugging away at existence, pulling us toward death. Temptation is a will to escape the present moment, but we retreat from consciousness and walk further toward the void and toward our demise. For this it is interesting that Rahu & Ketu are massless fixation points.

What you describe is the ego networking. I do think the ego can remain rooted in the senses while networking outward from them. Disconnection from the senses I'd associate more with certain kinds of thoughts. Thoughts of escape
Err

Perhaps there is no god
Let alone bloody satan

Hahaha

Fact is life is good,there is NO NEED for some satan unless they preach otherwise ie that ,ife is no good yawn

Last edited:

Prominent

Err

Perhaps there is no god
Let alone bloody satan

Hahaha

Fact is life is good,there is NO NEED for some satan unless they preach otherwise ie that ,ife is no good yawn

Well, everything people talk about is simply relative to the language that has been created to express certain thought and feeling about life and experiences we all share.
How else can a person really communicate anything if there is no language of any kind? If a person believes that we don't need to communicate anything, they should try isolating themselves from society and don't talk to anyone and then see what happens to themselves.
If you do that, chances are, after 10 or 20 years you won't be afraid of anything since you'll likely have found your own way to understand life.

NancyS

Crazed rat, you're giving your extremely valid point - which I take as "this plane is all about action: the only real changes are made by getting your duff out of the lotus pose and getting out there to actually help others" - a very ugly coat of vitriol.

You're right! But I believe the mindset Emma is talking about is somewhat necessary to direct that action accordingly. Otherwise you're operating out of guilt, and people can sense that ~ you're still helping, but it's just a redistribution of resources while the system responsible for the imbalance stays corrupt.

People need a "sea change" in their way of thinking just as urgently as they need the action you propose. OP (hello OP, still here? :whistling:) is right - "satan" is in your head, and you need to kick his little red butt out of there before you can confront the collective environmental results of everyone's "satan"/ego trappings.

Prominent

It's interesting how everyone finds excuses or reasons for why they are certain ways or do certain things, as if it somehow makes things more understandable, or that it makes it okay to do them because it becomes a way to imply there's no other way to do it.
I don't understand it.. but maybe people feel they have something to prove :wink:

JUPITERASC

Interesting thread title :smile:

'.......Ego is a Latin word meaning "I"

cognate with the Greek "Εγώ (Ego)" meaning "I"

often used in English to mean the "self", "identity" or other related concepts.

It may also refer to:
Ego, one of the three constructs in Sigmund Freud's structural model of the psyche
Ego (religion), as defined in various religions in relationship to self, soul etc.
Ego (spirituality), the "self", "self-concept", "false self", "conceptual identity", or identification with individual existence......'

crazedrat

Banned
It's interesting how everyone finds excuses or reasons for why they are certain ways or do certain things, as if it somehow makes things more understandable, or that it makes it okay to do them because it becomes a way to imply there's no other way to do it.
I don't understand it.. but maybe people feel they have something to prove :wink:
If you're going to address me, then speak to me directly in first person.
I don't retract what I said, so don't think of my words as an excuse... rather I arrived at some higher philosophical perspective where I see both sides.

There is nothing wrong with proving things to people. This is how I choose to engage others.

Explaining / understanding finds common ground and makes peace.

Yes there are multiple paths and everyone takes their own. For religion, all paths aim for the same goal; idealism, God. This is contrary to an apathetic, do as you wish, it is all ultimately good philosophy

Last edited:

Prominent

If you're going to address me, then speak to me directly in first person.
I don't retract what I said, so don't think of my words as an excuse... rather I arrived at some higher philosophical perspective where I see both sides.

There is nothing wrong with proving things to people. This is how I choose to engage others.

Explaining / understanding finds common ground and makes peace.

Yes there are multiple paths and everyone takes their own. For religion, all paths aim for the same goal; idealism, God. This is contrary to an apathetic, do as you wish, it is all ultimately good philosophy

I wasn't directing my post at anyone specific, but your response affirms what I said ironically(?).

wintersprite1

Premium Member
Hello Everyone,

Remember that discussions are welcome on the forum. What isn't is personal attacks on those that don't agree with you. When a post is riddled with attacks, it is deleted. Unfortunately, the baby often gets thrown out with the bath water... there were some good points now gone because of the personal attacks.

TK

Last edited:

The Ram

It's pretty funny that Satan is always called a liar and deciever. But look at Genesis, what did he do? He led Adam and Eve to the truth, something God was hiding from them. He was also being honest when he got kicked out of heaven, he could have said, sure boss whatever you say. But no, he spoke his mind and stood his ground, had he done what he felt was not right he would have been dishonest to his father, the humans and himself.

Lucifer was the bearer of light, ie the bearer of illumination itself.

The ego is the ego, it's better to be accountable for your own decisions than place blame on some boogieman. Humans have been assholes since the beginning of time that's why they've created flawed Gods to worship, Gods that are petty in the same ways they are. Ie The "one God" of Abraham, would a being with unlimited compassion and wisdom really kill a whole city of ppl for being homosexual and having fetishes? Even a person with some common sense and a decent moral compass wouldn't do that, so why would God?

If anything maybe Jehovah is the ego? Afterall look how angry the dude got if you worshipped other gods...or disobeyed him. He had an ego to end all ego's.

I think it's difficult to even comprehend God for a human, which is why I find it hilarious when ppl would try to have us believe it's gospel that he frowns on one group of ppl and blesses another. Most of these religious extremists are pretty lost to begin with and are trying to pad a damaged ego by clinging to a supposed moral high ground.

I do think it's pretty obvious he would want us to take care of the planet and not wipe out the other animals that inhabit it. Which is kind of funny since a lot of christians don't even give a **** about animals or the environment.

Last edited:

currychakra

Haha, personally I think it's more of the other way around. The ego is demonized because it is the origin of so many misdeeds.

The ego is a part of you, it is your identity. It gives you a sense of self yet at the same time helps you relate to others. Eg. This is who I am; this is where I am different; this is how I am similar

It is when the ego is inflated or deflated that people start to have all sorts of esteem issues.

Our journey here, is to find the right balance. =)

Venus1111

Satan and The Devil can mean lots of things- it is important to note that all his nicknames mean something different, of course. I definitely agree that The Devil is the Ego, and so does my Catholic priest. That doesn't make The Devil evil- though if you give in to him evil may result- it's all there in the Tarot card. The Devil is the shadow of God, the beast inside us all- the materialism that we must overcome. His pentagram can point in any one of 360 degrees, and that direction, and its interpretation, is up to us. Just because it points down doesn't mean it has to be bad. (Personally I think when it is tilted 17 degrees it is more like Hell. That's just some really, really horrid personal experience that lasted for years.)

Satan has a different flavor and interpretation. The name Satan is, of course, Hebrew, and does indeed mean the prosecuting adversary- I often view it as that he is a critic. He points out the faults so that we may improve ourselves. Satan is also a son of God when he appears.

Lucifer and the serpent are two other names- Lucifer is the lightbearer and is a nickname that applies to Satan, Jesus, Venus, et al. The serpent is a symbolic figure seen in so many ancient cultures and I am sure you can guess some of the symbolism. Apollo killed the Python, after all. It all means something that can relate to our every-day lives. And then of course there is the kundalini- I have often viewed the serpent as such.

Here's how I interpret the story- which I read a bit of in Hebrew but I am not that good at it. Eve (Living One) approaches the Tree of Knowledge of All that is Good and All that is Evil. The divining, subtle serpent (and as I see it, though I don't know that this part is there in the Hebrew, kundalini) tells her that if she eats of it she will become like God. She does. I see this as a representation of when man became self-aware. There is a certain point when mankind became mankind- the first human beings. They became bipedal and got much larger brains, which meant great childbirth pains- but that also means that we can know all that is good and all that is evil; we are no longer dumb animals.

But yeah, The Devil is definitely a symbol for the Ego. He is the downside of Bacchus, too- we get a lot of his symbolism from there. Bacchus can free us, or he can drag us down with his chains. We are always free to throw them off. If we want to. Then, the Ego can become a magnificent tool and friend.

Satan and I have definitely had some good and bad times together. Sometimes we hang out in my dreams. We are brilliant lights with no need of language, just the expression of beauty, and light, and darkness, and interpretation thereof. We are bodies like human bodies, but unlike human bodies, separate and inseparate, eternal, yet local.

Last edited:

JeffT

In one school of metaphysics I've studied, Satan is related to the planet Saturn, and has to do with the constriction of human consciousness. The ego is seen as an artificial construct with which we identify (e.g. I am John Doe, intelligent, generous, banker, Christian, American, husband and father), as opposed to our essential nature as spirit. The ego is not seen as a bad thing in and of itself, as it is needed to assist spirit in the material realm, but it is when we identify with it and let it do the leading, thus forgetting our essential nature as spirit, that we start heading down the wrong road.

knowhow999

I think we as a species through years of focusing on an external force named SATAN have literally created a thought form of very powerful energy. Hate and all lower forms of energy ensure continued existence for this most powerful demonic entity.
Perhaps such a demonic element was given control over this earth plane in order to present opportunities for us to grow spiritually through challenges down here.
I definitely feel there are many demonic entities on the earth plane attempting to harm incarnated beings. SATAN is the governing force behind all of them.
Interestingly though, I believe that even SATAN and his army are part of the DIVINE and will eventually be rejoined into LIGHT. I think we are all a part of GOD having a dream of being outside of LOVE and LIGHT.
In the end, I feel everything will return to the experience of the DIVINE.

Blessing.:smile: