Is it possible for an addictto have a healthy relationship with predictive astrology?

I'm a recovering addict and one of my steps requires me to abandon my need for control and live in the moment, but that might mean I'd have to give up astrology because studying and following predictive astrology is a lot like trying to control your own future (knowing how to take advantage of positive transits you know are coming, knowing how to take precaution with negative ones, etc.) Should I abandon studying astrology and go into life blind or is there a way to have a healthy relationship with predictive astrology? Am I overthinking this? (Probably)

Pardon my ignorance as I am unaware of the protocols followed by people who have been/are recovering addicts etc.

From where I stand, recovering from an addiction (whatever that is, e.g. I used to be a heavy smoker), is actually regaining full control over your actions and choices. If anything, astrology or any other form of divination practice gives the individual the ability to be proactive and hopefully schedule things better beforehand. In that sense, it is a tool to create better conditions in life, and I find nothing wrong with that premise.

Of course, nothing is 100% accurate, and sometimes strong aspects either have a very minor and indirect effect and sometimes nothing at all comes up...

It is all about employing critical thinking regardess. If astrology is something that comforts you and helps you in your daily life, there is nothing wrong to it and I am unsure whether it goes up against your journey as a recovering addict.

In terms of relationships, things are dependent heavily on our emotional state of being and mind. Astrology can provide insights on what needs to be worked on (potentially) and whether the union can be frutiful and harmonious for both parties.
My two cents, all the best.

waybread

Astrology has many other uses. I think its best one is as a tool for self-analysis.

Congratulations on your sobriety.

When I was first learning astrology I routinely followed my daily transits. I gave it up when I realized this habit was making me anxious and superstitious.

Now I'm more likely to check transits occasionally after the fact. It's like, if I got blindsided by something unexpected, I would check the ephemeris in hindsight to see what that was all about.

Maybe switch to checking the ephemeris during one week after an event, to see if you can explain it retroactively.

Cleopatra1

Thanks for sharing your story. We come to this life to evolve and improve, so let us use astrology as a nice spiritual tool. It is a healthy way of identifying one's faults, and preparing for the challenges and opportunities ahead.
I respect all people, and recognize that addiction seeks to fill a void. It is a way of numbing our fears.

Well, astrology helps you address your fears. Especially the predicting techniques can help you forecast events years before they happen. This way
you will prepare for these and will make smart decisions way in advance.

Hope this helps.

wilsontc

Staff member
doubt,

Think of predictive astrology as like checking the weather before going outside. If you check the weather and discover it is likely to rain, you'll take an umbrella. Similarly, if you check your transits and discover there are stresses right now over career, you'll want to examine your career situation to learn as much as you can from the situation or see if you can move to a different employer.

About Predictive Astrology,

Tim

IleneK

Premium Member
Congratulations Whenindoubt!
I personally have never engaged in predictive astrology for myself or for others for the exact reasons that you describe. I am not interested in knowing what is going to happen. I am interested to meet each moment as it arises, wholeheartedly, with as much skill and wisdom and compassion as I can muster.
I do agree with waybread that when viewed through a psychological lens, astrology can offer a portrait, a profile of the psyche, which is useful in developing greater self-understanding. This self-understanding forms the ground from which compassion and wisdom toward ourselves and others may grow. And it is this state which permits us to meet each free and spacious moment freshly as it arises.

FraterAC

I'm a recovering addict and one of my steps requires me to abandon my need for control and live in the moment, but that might mean I'd have to give up astrology because studying and following predictive astrology is a lot like trying to control your own future (knowing how to take advantage of positive transits you know are coming, knowing how to take precaution with negative ones, etc.) Should I abandon studying astrology and go into life blind or is there a way to have a healthy relationship with predictive astrology? Am I overthinking this? (Probably)
I would say the most important thing right now is to pursue your program of sobriety. It may be a good idea to lay your astrology practice aside for a little while, for that purpose. As you make progress, you may find the astrology has a new meaning and use.
But for now, sobriety needs to be priority #1.