Is any planet conjunct Sun always Combust?

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
venuschild said:
I would love to hear what authors of Antiquity or current authorities have written upon this. And I know you are Well Read!

Certainly.

Book of the Nine Judges pg 176, Sahl.
Book of the Nine Judges pg 181, al-Khayyat
Christian Astrology pg 256, Lilly
Book of Astronomy Treatise 6 pg 422, Bonatti

venuschild

Banned
Kaiousei No Senshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuschild
I would love to hear what authors of Antiquity or current authorities have written upon this. And I know you are Well Read!

Certainly.

Book of the Nine Judges pg 176, Sahl.
Book of the Nine Judges pg 181, al-Khayyat
Christian Astrology pg 256, Lilly
Book of Astronomy Treatise 6 pg 422, Bonatti

Thanks, as we both know reading Lilly is great, but we miners of horary nuggets of golden wisdom have to dig deeper and study the sources that Lilly and others wrote before him.

177458430.jpg

Some Horary artists who seem to be afraid to venture down the horary passage ways of our worthy past need to hide the Modernistic books in the closet from themselves for a while and do more digging through the data of antiquity. They may find nuggets of wisdom if they rid themselves of fear of the dark!

tunnel.jpg

kasandan

There are a couple of other ways (beside Cazimi) a planet can be "conjunct" the Sun yet free from combustion:
1) when the planet and the Sun are "conjunct by latitude" as the oldtimers called it (Al-Biruni, etc): that is, when the Sun and the planet are within about 1 degree (to 1.5 degrees) of declination (both either North or South of the ecliptic) In this circumstance the planet and the Sun might well be quite distant in longidtude and not necessarily either combust nor even under the sunbeams...

2) when the planet and the Sun are "conjunct by nature", a type of conjunction fully recognized as such by the ancients (and even as late as the Renaissance period) in which the Sun and the planet each occupy the exact degree in equipollent signs: for example, say Sun is @ 20 Aries and Jupiter is @ 10 Pisces: they are "conjunct by nature" because each planet is exactly the same distance from the "Line of Truth" (the Aries/Libra line); the Sun and Jupiter in this example are in fact the same as being either longitudinally conjunct or conjunct in latitude (Parallel in Declination), but, of course, Jupiter is nowhere near combust or under the sunbeams.

These concepts go back a long time:
-conjunct in latitude to at least 400 AD
-equipollent conjunction (conjunct by nature) to even earlier Greco/Roman times

Parallel of Declination is applied, strangely enough, more in Modernist astrology than in Traditionalist practice...Conjunct by nature (equipollent conjunction) has been forgotten by almost all practitioners, except perhaps a few of the neo-Hellenistic school.
Hi,
It is very interesting that a planet has the same degree as the Sun, but that planet is spared from combustion. How can you know that the planet is combusting in conjunction with the sun? Can you introduce a software or website that calculates?
My son was born on February 6, 2022, time: 9:30am in esfahan. He has the Sun and Saturn at a distance of 1 degree and 17 minutes in the 11th house of his birth chart and in the sign of Aquarius?does his saturn cumbust? How will this affect his life?

JUPITERASC

Hi,
It is very interesting that a planet has the same degree as the Sun, but that planet is spared from combustion. How can you know that the planet is combusting in conjunction with the sun? Can you introduce a software or website that calculates?
FREE ONLINE accurate calculator

Cazimi & Combust Planets

- scroll to select the year :)

My son was born on February 6, 2022, time: 9:30am in esfahan. He has the Sun and Saturn at a distance of 1 degree and 17 minutes in the 11th house of his birth chart and in the sign of Aquarius?does his saturn cumbust? How will this affect his life?
consider asking on our Read My Chart Board :)

meanwhile:

Last edited:

kasandan

Hi,
Screenshot_20230216-021503_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230216-021442_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230216-021442_Chrome.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 30

wan

Seems to me that for a planet such as Mercury to be combust, it happens very often, because this planet is always so close to the Sun. Same goes for Venus. Unless they are so close to the sun as to be cazimi, I really wouldn't pay them too much mind.

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
Since Merc can be one sign on either side of the Sun ,and Venus can be two signs away from Sun, I would say that more often than not, neither of them are combust. So combustion may noteworthy.
Also when Venus and Merc are in the signs of their dignity [or maybe even exaltation?], they are conferred with some protection from combustion, which would make combustion for them even more rare. So maybe combustion is noteworthy?
Just some thoughts....

JUPITERASC

thank you jupiterasc! ill watch the video, i also wanted to ask something.
i just read that if a planet is in its own bounds, the effects of the combustion will be diminished.
Schmidt's fairly recent translation of Antiochus, definition 14,
states that stars in their own chariots are mighty
even if under the rays of the Sun :)

A planet in its own domicile, exaltation
or confine aka bound
- possibly trigon as well
is said to be in it's own chariot
Schmidt emphasizes "..covered chariot.."

such that it is not blinded by the beams. It is still acting, but in a hidden capacity.

like say sun is conjunct venus, but venus is in the bounds of venus,
so venus isnt harmed by being near the sun. do you agree with this?
I'm no expert - however Robert Schmidt mentioned that - http://www.projecthindsight.com/

waybread

Again, it depends upon what type of astrology you practice.

Modern astrology doesn't work with combustion. A planet is simply conjunct the sun. Because the sun indicates your sense of self or identity, a planet conjunct the sun indicates what you identify with.

Mercury never travels more than 30 degrees from the sun, so sun-Mercury conjunctions are common. A lot of professors have them.

Even in traditional astrology a combust planet may have mitigating factors. Notably a planet in its own sign (domiciled) or Mars (already hot and dry) would not be much affected. You can also look at how planets "swap" essential dignity. (This is called "reception," and it can involve major or minor factors.) Take Mercury combust the sun in Cancer, for example. Mercury and the sun are in the moon's sign. If that person also has the moon in Gemini (Mercury's sign,) then the moon and Mercury are like best friends who help each other considerably.

In synastry, you're comparing two charts, not looking at just one. So if his Venus conjuncts her sun (or vice versa,) that is highly beneficial.

A composite chart is the average of two people's planetary positions. So if his sun is at 10 degrees Aries, and her sun is at 20 degrees Leo, their composite sun will be at 15 degrees Gemini. It's an artificial position, but the method works well. The composite sun gives the identity of two people as a couple, or twosome. So in this case, Venus conjunct sun would be beneficial because Venus rules love and affection-- which would characterize the relationship.

JUPITERASC

i still dont quite understand the concept of combustion, like i know its bad but then i read stuff about how sun conjunct mercury for example is supposed to be really good and that it can make someone communicative and such, but by the definition of combustion it says that sun conjunct mercury would render mercury useless. and i also would like to know what this does to synastry aspects, because for example sun conjunct venus is supposed to be amazing in synastry yet if the sun is conjunct venus, venus be combust as well right?

The Sun in Astrology: Meanings and Techniques :)

excerpts from different ancient and modern astrologers
in order to see what the Sun signifies in an astrological chart.

- different techniques that are used in astrology that involve the Sun:
such as the solar phase cycle, different heliacal phenomena
under the beams, combustion, cazimi

sect, and more.

Antiks72

I have both Moon and Mercury combust in Leo in H6.. Both are 1 orb from my Sun.

Im not sure how to explain it.... Ive been trying to understand these myself...
"Im not sure how to explain it.... Ive been trying to understand these myself..."

That's mercury combust talking, clearly.

CapAquaPis

How about persons born under the sun conjunct for a prime example out of all: the moon? I have a sun conjunct Moon in Aquarius and esp 8th house is of grave concern. That's always a malefic aspect on my among many others' star chart. And the sun is at 26' - ahead of the new phase Moon in 20'.

JUPITERASC

There are a couple of other ways (beside Cazimi) a planet can be "conjunct" the Sun yet free from combustion:
1) when the planet and the Sun are "conjunct by latitude" as the oldtimers called it (Al-Biruni, etc): that is, when the Sun and the planet are within about 1 degree (to 1.5 degrees) of declination (both either North or South of the ecliptic) In this circumstance the planet and the Sun might well be quite distant in longidtude and not necessarily either combust nor even under the sunbeams...

2) when the planet and the Sun are "conjunct by nature", a type of conjunction fully recognized as such by the ancients (and even as late as the Renaissance period) in which the Sun and the planet each occupy the exact degree in equipollent signs: for example, say Sun is @ 20 Aries and Jupiter is @ 10 Pisces: they are "conjunct by nature" because each planet is exactly the same distance from the "Line of Truth" (the Aries/Libra line); the Sun and Jupiter in this example are in fact the same as being either longitudinally conjunct or conjunct in latitude (Parallel in Declination), but, of course, Jupiter is nowhere near combust or under the sunbeams.

These concepts go back a long time:
-conjunct in latitude to at least 400 AD
-equipollent conjunction (conjunct by nature) to even earlier Greco/Roman times

Parallel of Declination is applied, strangely enough, more in Modernist astrology than in Traditionalist practice...Conjunct by nature (equipollent conjunction) has been forgotten by almost all practitioners, except perhaps a few of the neo-Hellenistic school.
MERCURY CAZIMI INFO :)

Humanitarian

If any planet conjunct Sun has an orb of less than 17 arcminutes, that planet is cazimi-ing Sun, and if more than 17 arcminutes and less than 8 degrees, that planet combusts the Sun, and if the orb is above 8 degrees to a quartersextile (15 degrees), then that planet is under the Sun's beams. If any planets is paralleling Sun and it isn't close longitudinally, that planet isn't cazimi, combust or even under the Sun's beams.
Edit (17 August 2023): If the combusted planet is dignified by domicile, exaltation, triplicity, faces or terms, the planet is saved from combustion because the dignity of the planet balances the combustion of the planet caused by being too close to the Sun but not close enough to the Sun to make it a cazimi

Last edited: