Invention - When did we Stop?

byjove

Account Closed
To add my vote ^^ I deeply dislike GM too. I agree with all of the opinions on it too. I did a lot of research on that in school for debating and the disasters speak for themselves. I don't count (personally) GM as a huge advancement in our time either lol.

ptolomy

I was thinking that one possible positive polar opposite of GM plant gene manipulation might be the knowledge of genetic problems in a natural plant being made clear without changing the plant,But instead NOT planting this particular species so as to avoid its genetic problems.But this doesn't appear to have the same weight in my eyes as Genetic manipulation,So ill have to carry on thinking about that one unless someone else can rescue me from this genetic quagmire.
Another massive invention? that will have enormous consequences for humankind in the near future is the consequences of the mapping of the human genome project.So far it appears to be revealing many of humanities genetic faults which result in people being born with body faults and diseases.As with GM i think the most obvious positive is again to be aware of the genetic problem,But the positive is imo again not to manipulate the genes but instead as an example,A couple that is aware that if through the avoidance of blending of their 2 gene pools that they therefore avoided having children with genetic problems.I personally dont think manipulating the genes in either person in any way is a positive.There is also the insurance company problem that comes with this knowledge.It is most likely that an insurance company having knowledge of our faulty genes would abuse this information and make the person pay a much higher insurance premium.
Despite all these types of problems with knowledge of genes i still believe that with each advancement in our knowledge we will find that every invention has a positive and negative of equal value,Its just not easy to see and is also very dependent on the level of self knowledge of humanity being able to use this info in a positive way.Unfortunately with the present low level of self knowledge of humanity many of these inventions usually develop through the most negative channels first as in the military developing the invention initially before the technology falls into the public's hands.As another example i suspect that drone technology could be very positively beneficial for such things as search and rescue which would mean that no other peoples lives would be endangered in rescue operations.
Anyway i think i will stop there before i put my foot in my mouth :p if i haven't already,lol as so many of these subjects border onto eugenics....

JUPITERASC

I was thinking that one possible positive polar opposite of GM plant gene manipulation might be the knowledge of genetic problems in a natural plant being made clear without changing the plant,But instead NOT planting this particular species so as to avoid its genetic problems.But this doesn't appear to have the same weight in my eyes as Genetic manipulation,So ill have to carry on thinking about that one unless someone else can rescue me from this genetic quagmire.
Another massive invention? that will have enormous consequences for humankind in the near future is the consequences of the mapping of the human genome project.So far it appears to be revealing many of humanities genetic faults which result in people being born with body faults and diseases.As with GM i think the most obvious positive is again to be aware of the genetic problem,But the positive is imo again not to manipulate the genes but instead as an example,A couple that is aware that if through the avoidance of blending of their 2 gene pools that they therefore avoided having children with genetic problems.I personally dont think manipulating the genes in either person in any way is a positive.There is also the insurance company problem that comes with this knowledge.It is most likely that an insurance company having knowledge of our faulty genes would abuse this information and make the person pay a much higher insurance premium.
Despite all these types of problems with knowledge of genes i still believe that with each advancement in our knowledge we will find that every invention has a positive and negative of equal value,Its just not easy to see and is also very dependent on the level of self knowledge of humanity being able to use this info in a positive way.Unfortunately with the present low level of self knowledge of humanity many of these inventions usually develop through the most negative channels first as in the military developing the invention initially before the technology falls into the public's hands.As another example i suspect that drone technology could be very positively beneficial for such things as search and rescue which would mean that no other peoples lives would be endangered in rescue operations.
Anyway i think i will stop there before i put my foot in my mouth :p if i haven't already,lol as so many of these subjects border onto eugenics....
A challenging example is that there probably is some benefit from having invented nuclear power....

BUT since atomic waste remains lethally radioactive for thousands if not tens of thousands of years the benefits appear questionable
:smile:

JUPITERASC

GOOD NEWS

The solar energy designers at Rawlemon have created a spherical, sun-tracking glass globe that is able to concentrate sunlight (and moonlight) up to 10,000 times. The company claims that its ß.torics system is 35% more efficient than traditional dual-axis photovoltaic designs, and the fully rotational, weatherproof sphere is even capable of harvesting electricity from moonlight :smile:

Rawlemon’s Spherical Solar Energy-Generating Globes Can Even Harvest Energy from Moonlight
by Ayasha Guerin, 09/16/12
http://inhabitat.com/rawlemon’s-sph...-even-harvest-energy-from-moonlight/?upworthy

ptolomy

Ive just found an invention thats been invented before,I remember being taught about the vacuum train in history lessons at school being invented initially when the first trains were being invented in the UK a long time ago,It was originally called the 'Atmospheric train'But it never got developed:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_railway
But the idea was very good and designers have carried on trying to improve the concept,The probable most negative side to the concept is that the trains can travel at ridiculously fast speeds and if they do crash the consequences are catastrophic:http://www.gizmag.com/terraspan-vacuum-tube-train-supersonic-ultra-fast/23267/ They can allegedly travel at 4,000mph!This latest design contender expects to travel between NYC and LA in 45 minutes!:http://www.core77.com/blog/transpor...ane_train_boat_nor_car_is_it_et3__24980.asp,I think its a great idea that is environmentally sound and has been waiting for its day for far too long,Maybe its day has finally arrived?:http://www.core77.com/blog/transpor...pt_promises_nyc_to_la_in_45_minutes_22311.asp

byjove

Account Closed
I would like one of those for Christmas please ^^

I've always been fond of the related maglev technology, you may know it. The trains levitate from the ground or hang in the sky. The two main developers traditionally were Japanese and German. One aspect of this hi-speed travel that I think about is how we re-gain time. Travelling between two cities that are 120 miles apart in just 40 minutes, all you need is one book or an ipod, no need for packing cars etc. We lose less time with travel. We do more with less time.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/maglev-train.htm

A video of sitting on one of these:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2011-02/04/shanghai-maglev-video

Last edited:

ptolomy

It appears that the 3D printing of gun parts in plastic has reached a significant stage due to New York city setting new regulations that makes it a crime for anyone other than a gun smith to do this,And they also need to apply for a licence to do so.This sets a new precedent in 3D printing which is likely to lead to a new establishment stage in the negative use of this new technology.I guess some might disagree with my opinions on gun law.I personally disagree with guns being in the hands of the public altogether, But i understand that there is an established nature for people to carry/have guns in the USA which goes back to the origins of the country.:http://www.prisonplanet.com/ understand that this is considered a human right in the southern states of the US.In the UK where i come from i consider myself fortunate that this is not so.But i fear for our future with this technology being used illegally in my country leading to guns coming onto our streets.
I suspect that the Transits of Pluto and Uranus in square aspect to each other will have a lot to do with this development,I especially suspect that Uranus has a lot to do with the internet development and distribution method of this new technology.And that this is similar to the way that the Arab Spring has been particularly involved in the development of the technology of social media via the internet,It also has a negative side which favors the more ruthless in our societies(Pluto).Time will tell how this develops:(

Last edited:

ptolomy

Hi JUPITERASC:)

This one certainly will take off,In fact it already has as Electric batteries have now reached a stage where they can power an electric bike for a considerable time.I think an average charge will easily do 40 to 50 miles per charge averaging 30mph,which makes electric bicycles easily suitable for commuting to work and other average journeys http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com.au/.I think once electric bike prices become more reasonable then they will become very popular.Round my way you don't see them at all yet,Albeit the model i have just linked is a bit expensive.

JUPITERASC

Hi JUPITERASC:)

This one certainly will take off,In fact it already has as Electric batteries have now reached a stage where they can power an electric bike for a considerable time.I think an average charge will easily do 40 to 50 miles per charge averaging 30mph,which makes electric bicycles easily suitable for commuting to work and other average journeys
http://www.stealthelectricbikes.com.au/.I think once electric bike prices become more reasonable then they will become very popular.Round my way you don't see them at all yet,Albeit the model i have just linked is a bit expensive.
Hi ptolomy - apparently the current problem with electric bikes and cars is that manufacture of the battery/batteries creates pollution....

however at some stage someone may notice the Sun
:smile:

World Solar Car Challenge
http://www.worldsolarchallenge.org/

Electric Car Racing http://www.fia.com/news/los-angeles-welcomes-formula-e-electric-car-racing

Marinka

What about the invention of creating "body parts" for human beings. Bionics have gotten so sophisticated in the past decade and the innovations are starting to occur faster and faster.

What about DNA discovery? Being able to check for inherited diseases is just the first part, maybe at some point, they can create an antibiotic specifically for the cancer in someone's body or "turn-off" a bad gene.

They have been growing skin for burn patients and now .. what about growing organs to replace lungs, livers, kidneys, hearts, using tissues from the person that will receive the organ. This would minimize any immune responses from the body "thinking it is being invaded by a foreign body".

Getting portable health monitors that check our body as we go about our normal routines could help prevent heart attacks from even happening by providing your medical stats to a database that has programs that check whether "everything is normal" and flag a doctor if something is amiss.

Uranus in Pisces brought so many medical innovations but, most people wouldn't think of them as inventions but, they are.

I'm excited about what Uranus in Aries will bring -- this will be another cycle of innovation, not just invention as Uranus steps though all the signs again. Where are the next steps -- probably space. They were talking about having a colony on the moon at some point in the future -- could that correspond to Uranus in Taurus ....

Hosh

Re: Invention - When did we Stop? Uranus Cycles

The brief list of list of inventions appears to stop at 1990. If we're following the Uranus cycle, that's during the Capricorn transit, the structures of society. Why were inventions during the Aquarius transit so dull? I'm warmed to see big thinkers bring up this point, 'social web 2.0' a.k.a. Facebook, Spotify, Twitter etc. are not inventions on the same scale of revolution or as evident contributions to humans as the list at the top.

They are not dull, you just can't see them. Here are some interesting ones:

- Deep Belief Networks, about 2008. Their full potential has not yet blossomed, and to understand it's impact, you have to have enough understanding of how DBN works.
- Magnetic light "batteries", about 2010. That's a huge one, or will be.
- Bitcoins, 2008. This one is also huge, not because how it can replace conventional currency, but in what it can do that conventional currency cannot. It's only now, with the Uranus Square Pluto series that we'll start to see it come into play big time.
- Smartphone 2007. Though people might have argued that "smartphones" is not a real invention, that it had already existed, 2007 - 2008. The main thing is that for a the first time, a LARGE number of people carry a personal computer in their pocket. That's a huge shift in consciousness and the way people interact with the computing world.
- Cloud Computing, 2005 (specifically, the Xen Hypervisor and paravirtualization). That one had a huge impact, again, mostly invisible.
- Internet Browser, 1993. The internet wasn't invented in 1990, that was the ARPA project in the late 1970s (Pluto in Libra), along with intermodal containers (which had a huge impact on globalization)
- Complexity Theory, around 1990, thought it had been bubbling up since the late 1970s. It's from here you peer-to-peer, cloud, social networks, etc.
- Personal 3D Printers, maybe 2008, but they didn't really start tipping until 2012. This one is also huge. Where 3D printers are at now is where personal computers were at in 1980, and where the internet was in the mid-1990s. I guess those economists and philosophers have a big blind spot :)
- Working quantum computing processor, 2012. Probably the biggest one of them all. It's not just another computer.

Those big thinkers you are talking about forgot another big thinker of the 20th century: Buckminster Fuller. He talked about the ephemeralization of technology, that is, technology tends to get smaller and smaller until it becomes invisible. Once it becomes invisible to the mainstream, it evolves faster.

You gotta dig a little deeper.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

- Deep Belief Networks, about 2008. Their full potential has not yet blossomed, and to understand it's impact, you have to have enough understanding of how DBN works.
- Magnetic light "batteries", about 2010. That's a huge one, or will be.
- Bitcoins, 2008. This one is also huge, not because how it can replace conventional currency, but in what it can do that conventional currency cannot. It's only now, with the Uranus Square Pluto series that we'll start to see it come into play big time.
- Smartphone 2007. Though people might have argued that "smartphones" is not a real invention, that it had already existed, 2007 - 2008. The main thing is that for a the first time, a LARGE number of people carry a personal computer in their pocket. That's a huge shift in consciousness and the way people interact with the computing world.
- Cloud Computing, 2005 (specifically, the Xen Hypervisor and paravirtualization). That one had a huge impact, again, mostly invisible.
- Internet Browser, 1993. The internet wasn't invented in 1990, that was the ARPA project in the late 1970s (Pluto in Libra), along with intermodal containers (which had a huge impact on globalization)
- Complexity Theory, around 1990, thought it had been bubbling up since the late 1970s. It's from here you peer-to-peer, cloud, social networks, etc.
- Personal 3D Printers, maybe 2008, but they didn't really start tipping until 2012. This one is also huge. Where 3D printers are at now is where personal computers were at in 1980, and where the internet was in the mid-1990s. I guess those economists and philosophers have a big blind spot :)
- Working quantum computing processor, 2012. Probably the biggest one of them all. It's not just another computer.

Those big thinkers you are talking about forgot another big thinker of the 20th century: Buckminster Fuller. He talked about the ephemeralization of technology, that is, technology tends to get smaller and smaller until it becomes invisible. Once it becomes invisible to the mainstream, it evolves faster.

tumblr_mltjhu9IKR1rt90n6o1_1280.jpg

byjove

Account Closed

Yes, the fact that other people; some investors, economists, intellectuals also agree demonstrates I'm hardly alone here...

The premise is important, it is not that progress in many areas isn't being made, but that the world-changing (immediate change, not prospective change) that ripped through the world at the onset of past inventions hasn't happened, as many people set as their reference point - since 1990, with the World Wide Web. You could list 5,000 signs of progress, but that would still miss the point.

I think many of the developments in science and technology that people listed are indeed great technologies, I have no doubt that some of them will fully come to fruition and change the world. I'm a tech geek - so I do indeed like to embrace them. But only when they change the world they become great inventions I think. Maglev (magnetic levitation) is a few decades old, but is only being adopted in new, major infrastructual projects around the world now. It levitates trains and more, entirely off the ground. Perhaps the junction of crossing from promising technology/invention to greatness is worldwide adoption and mass-society usefulness. Maybe, by that definition, smartphones are a viable successor to the World Wide Web. I may be convinced of that one now.

I suspect that with smartphones we really have just begun. Smartphones and tablets look like the gateway to 'information everywhere, all of the time'. Has anyone seen Google's internet balloons? Portable internet for a city or nation, possibly of great use after natural disasters and infrastructural failures.

Google internet balloons
http://www.gizmag.com/google-project-loon/27955/

Last edited:

Hosh

The premise is important, it is not that progress in many areas isn't being made, but that the world-changing (immediate change, not prospective change) that ripped through the world at the onset of past inventions hasn't happened, as many people set as their reference point - since 1990, with the World Wide Web. You could list 5,000 signs of progress, but that would still miss the point.

I understand your point and I disagree. I'm not talking about "signs of progress". Each of those things I listed are world-changing; it's just not obvious.

JUPITERASC

......any one remember about 4 or 5 years ago of talk about devices that could make military vehicles invisible to the naked eye?

Strange how so many new ideas appear through military design 1st.In my opinion its to do with more money being put into designing for the military.
'….The soldier's helmet of the near future may contain something more than extra protection from flying shrapnel :smile:

An Arizona State University researcher, working under a grant from the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), is trying to develop a military helmet equipped with technology to regulate soldiers' brains. The technology is transcranial pulsed ultrasound, which delivers high-frequency sound waves to specific regions of the brain. Under the influence of these sound waves, neurons send impulses to their targets, exerting control over them. On the battlefield, this has enormous implications....'

'….Using a controller, a soldier could release ultrasound pulses to stimulate different areas of the brain. For example, he or she might want to be more alert after being awake for many hours or relax when it's time to rest. The soldier might even be able to relieve stress or become oblivious to pain, eliminating the need for morphine and other narcotics. Some people think this type of neurotechnology is pure science fiction. Others worry Uncle Sam is attempting taking over the minds of soldiers....'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okDKWwwLsEA

ptolomy

Sorry i didnt reply earlier,Ive been in hospital almost a week.
Yes JUPITERASC,As usual,the army gets the development of the new idea,It reminds me of a few more that are very apparent at the moment.The drone appears to be developing very fast,Not just the flying types.But ive been told that tethered Ground based drone soldiers are likely to become more advanced in the USA in the very near future,I've not confirmed this from my own research yet but it wouldn't surprise me.The same source told me that the autonomous untethered ground drone/soldier was not far behind in development.
I guess this device could be put to more important useful purpose for humanity in rescues where it was too dangerous for people to venture.Ie collapsed mines?
Its a shame mankind's development of new ideas is not more initially more positive.But i suppose starting with the military needs is better than not developing the idea at all.

Hosh

I guess this device could be put to more important useful purpose for humanity in rescues where it was too dangerous for people to venture.Ie collapsed mines?

Or cleaning up and sealing the Fukushima reactors. I've been hearing that it has not been completely sealed, and people have been irradiated in the region.

JUPITERASC

Sorry i didnt reply earlier, I've been in hospital almost a week.
Good that you are home now ptolomy :smile:
Yes JUPITERASC,As usual,the army gets the development of the new idea,

It reminds me of a few more that are very apparent at the moment.The drone appears to be developing very fast,Not just the flying types.But ive been told that tethered Ground based drone soldiers are likely to become more advanced in the USA in the very near future,I've not confirmed this from my own research yet but it wouldn't surprise me.The same source told me that the autonomous untethered ground drone/soldier was not far behind in development.
Its a shame mankind's development of new ideas is not more initially more positive.

But i suppose starting with the military needs is better than not developing the idea at all
Perhaps. Although may I add - JMO not necessarily?

'....Each year, the Pentagon sets aside billions of dollars to develop top-secret military weapons. This so-called "black budget" has grown tremendously, surpassing even the funds spent at the height of the Cold War.

Some of that money has gone toward the development of nano air vehicles (NAVs), remote-controlled micro-drones that could easily infiltrate enemy territory. We all know how the U.S. military has used larger drones to conduct reconnaissance, transport supplies and even target individuals. Unfortunately, the larger attack drones, such as the MQ-1 Predator, can result in unwanted civilian casualties.....'

'....Lockheed Martin's Samarai micro-drone could solve that problem.

Weighing a mere 5.29 ounces (150 grams) and boasting a 12-inch (30-centimeter) wingspan, the Samarai looks like a maple-seed whirligig, except this one comes with a miniature jet engine to provide thrust and a tiny flap on the trailing edge of the wing to control direction. In the near future, this nature-inspired micro-drone will snap photos using a camera mounted on the gadget's central hub. But the longer-term goals are to turn the Samarai or other similar micro-drones into armed attack vehicles capable of killing a single individual with little or no collateral damage [source: Weinberger]....'

ptolomy

I think that there are many factors that reduce the development of new inventions that are almost insurmountable,The UK being traditionally a very inventive country is severely effected by one of them,The fact that as soon as someone here invents something new it is copied by other countries,Especially China,There is presently no way of stopping this and consequently many designers here see no point in attempting to develop new ideas here.There is no world wide copyright law so many ideas are not released as the country of origin is not a beneficiary of financial reward.
In a similar vein because there is little worldwide law to control countries that wont comply with other countries needs in development of new ideas and concepts Many countries see little point in introducing environmental controls like controlling air and sea pollution as this needs world wide agreement to work.
Until there is worldwide cooperation between all countries we have massive problems on reversing worldwide pollution.It only takes one or more countries not to comply with world wide law and others efforts are ruined.So we need a lot more cooperation worldwide before we can move on with very important inventions for our worldwide survival.
I think that worldwide governance needs to become much more cooperative before we can begin to design the new ideas that are needed for the survival of humanity 'Worldwide'.Because this is a serious dilemma that needs the immediate development of new ideas i like to think that humanity has got to the point where it recognizes the need for cooperation or we are toast.I also like to think that people/governance worldwide recognizes that we need to make products that will last so that WE can get on with more pressing priorities like food production/consumption,Weather,environment,power consumption/source etc.I think we seriously need to prioritize worldwide.
The design and manufacture of titillating devices needs to be reduced,We are drowning in such things as cars,flat screen TV's,new kitchens and the effluence from their manufacture and recycling.
I like to hope that as with the beginnings of individual cooperation on the web through social media,That something else might shift in communication devices that affects worldwide governance cooperation leading to worldwide design and manufacture cooperation and a new age for humankind.
Until our worldwide governance stops behaving like lemmings we have little hope of development of ideas that are pressing for development so that humanity can survive the environmental changes that coincidentally came from the consequences of the industrial revolution.