Indicators of astrological interest

sam

Hey you guys, I happened to stumble on a list of some fixed stars and their meaning. Some of them indicate interest in the occult.

http://www.astrologycom.com/fixedstars.html

Turns out, my Mars in Scoprio is on the same degree as is the fixed star Bungula. Bungula's interpretation is, "Occult and philosophical learning, self analysis, honours, stubborn, cruel"

Thought this might be of some interest :)

Arian Maverick

Thanks for the link, sam!

The best indicator of astrological interest from this list would probably be my North Node one degree away from Deneb Adige, whose keywords include: intelligent, creative, original, naive, astrology, writing, the public, dog bites

I hope I can escape that last one! :wink:

Beth

sam

Arien Maverick said:
Thanks for the link, sam!

The best indicator of astrological interest from this list would probably be my North Node one degree away from Deneb Adige, whose keywords include: intelligent, creative, original, naive, astrology, writing, the public, dog bites

I hope I can escape that last one! :wink:

Beth

Haha, dog bites. How did they get so specific? :lol:

Shimmy26

Menken - Wisdom, astronomy, divination, medicine, botany and music 12° Scorpio 18

This is in the same area of astrology, I suppose, with astronomy and divination. Oh, and this is conjunct my Pluto in the 8th house at 12° Scorpio 33.

Hey! I just found one exactly conjunct my south node, to the minute! - Alphard * Sudden death by poison or drowning. Problems with law, love affairs, drugs 27° Leo 08

Could this possibly relate to a death in a previous life? Hopefully not in this life....... :|

So I'm sticking with my Aquarius rising and Pluto in Scorpio in the 8th to explain my interest in astrology. :wink:

Arian Maverick

So I'm sticking with my Aquarius rising and Pluto in Scorpio in the 8th to explain my interest in astrology

That sounds good to me! I no longer have an Aquarius Ascendant, but I share your exact Pluto placement--Pluto in Scorpio in the eighth house :twisted:

Arian Maverick

Draco

Hi,

Don't shoot the messenger here but I think that I would consider Mercury as appropriate ruler of astrology and astrologers rather than Uranus.

I found this quote from 'The Real Astrology', by John Frawley, worth consideration.

P65

Complementary to this is the idea that these new planets rule things that had no existence prior to thier discovery. So Uranus rules television and computers. It requires the finest splitting of hairs to claim that these things are essentially different from anything that existed before: both these examples would be ascribed to Mercury in the traditional model, in his capacity as ruler of calculation and communication. What else a television or computer might be other than a box for performing these functions is not clear.

Which leads on to the point:

P67

As part of this desire for titillation, astrology itself has been given to rulership of Uranus (astrology presumably not having existed before 1781), a planet which has developed a reputation for amiable eccentricity. In the tradition, astrology was ruled by Mercury. Where once astrologers saw themselves as thinkers, they now style themselves as eccentrics. This may well fit in well with the desiderata of the New Age, but is not necessarily an improvement.

This is a fair point. Mercury is the appropriate ruler of astrology and astrologers, for astrology is about calculation, interpretation and communication. It surprises me that Mercury has been absolutely overlooked here in favour of Uranus, and doesn't even get a mention as co-ruler of astrology and astrologer's and yet the association should be obvious.

Draco :(

sam

Draco said:
I found this quote from 'The Real Astrology'

This is the fourth time I've seen a reference to that book in the past two days! I stumbled across the author's website last night after looking for more information on horary, then I saw it referenced on Skyscript, and then someone mentioned it on another forum! Creepy... :|

Complementary to this is the idea that these new planets rule things that had no existence prior to thier discovery. So Uranus rules television and computers. It requires the finest splitting of hairs to claim that these things are essentially different from anything that existed before: both these examples would be ascribed to Mercury in the traditional model, in his capacity as ruler of calculation and communication. What else a television or computer might be other than a box for performing these functions is not clear.
Which leads on to the point:

P67

As part of this desire for titillation, astrology itself has been given to rulership of Uranus (astrology presumably not having existed before 1781), a planet which has developed a reputation for amiable eccentricity. In the tradition, astrology was ruled by Mercury. Where once astrologers saw themselves as thinkers, they now style themselves as eccentrics. This may well fit in well with the desiderata of the New Age, but is not necessarily an improvement.

This is a fair point. Mercury is the appropriate ruler of astrology and astrologers, for astrology is about calculation, interpretation and communication. It surprises me that Mercury has been absolutely overlooked here in favour of Uranus, and doesn't even get a mention as co-ruler of astrology and astrologer's and yet the association should be obvious.

Draco :(

Yeah, I came across something similar not too long ago about Mercury being the traiditional ruler of astrology, but then again astrology used to be part of a typical intellectual study.

Considering the common view on astrology today, there isn't a lot of exposure to any real horoscopic astrology. There's the astrology section in newspapers and such, but as far as the complex art that it once was, it's practically unknown. That leads me to think that in order for someone to look behind the common view, s/he would have to have a strong Uranian influence. That's just how I see it, though.

Draco

Hi Sam,

This is the fourth time I've seen a reference to that book in the past two days!

The powers that be are obviously prompting you to buy that book!

I know what you mean. Never the less, astrology it is still Mercurial in it's nature: inquisitive, investigative, calculative and concerning knowledge, thought and idea.

For me, Mercury, first and foremost, was, is and always will be the planet of astrology and astrologers.

Draco :wink:

sam

Draco said:
Hi Sam,

This is the fourth time I've seen a reference to that book in the past two days!

The powers that be are obviously prompting you to buy that book!

Heh, apparently. :p

I know what you mean. Never the less, astrology it is still Mercurial in it's nature: inquisitive, investigative, calculative and concerning knowledge, thought and idea.

For me, Mercury, first and foremost, was, is and always will be the planet of astrology and astrologers.

Yeah, that makes sense, too. What Mercury placements would be looked for?

wilsontc

Staff member
Uranus as ruler of astrology

Draco,

You said:
Don't shoot the messenger here but I think that I would consider Mercury as appropriate ruler of astrology and astrologers rather than Uranus. I found this quote from 'The Real Astrology' , by John Frawley
Complementary to this is the idea that these new planets rule things that had no existence prior to thier discovery...astrology itself has been given to rulership of Uranus (astrology presumably not having existed before 1781), a planet which has developed a reputation for amiable eccentricity. In the tradition, astrology was ruled by Mercury. Where once astrologers saw themselves as thinkers, they now style themselves as eccentrics...
...astrology it is still Mercurial in it's nature: inquisitive, investigative, calculative and concerning knowledge, thought and idea. For me, Mercury, first and foremost, was, is and always will be the planet of astrology and astrologers.

Not for the purpose of shooting the messenger, but for the purpose of extending this discussion, let's take another look at Mercury energy and what it has to do with astrology. Mercury energy is about the energy of details, symbolically it is the early stage in our life where we are gathering the details around us and trying to put them in context: we have just become aware of our "physical" nature (2nd house), are not quite sure "where we are" (not yet in the 4th house of home), and are putting together a list of "things" we have and are associated with (3rd house, ruled by Mercury). So Mercury by itself can get absorbed in the details of things, but does not put those details into a valuable social context. Mercury is about "Social Learning", learning the basics of social things without knowing yet how to apply them.

Now consider Uranus and 11th house. 11th house is about "Social Security", understanding how we fit into a social context and figuring out what we are going to do about it. Unlike 3rd house, 11th house is very FAR along our personal development (there is only one house after the 11th house, the 12th house, before we complete the cycle of houses, symbolic of our life development). Also 11th house (ruled by Uranus) has to do with "other people's self-expression, so 11th house is the area where we focus on other people and helping them find a social context in life. This is MORE than just loading up on social details, this is helping people to USE those social details to become more "settled" with who they are.

Unlike John Frawley, I believe in an EVOLUTION of sign rulerships, that things which USED to be ruled by one planet can now be ruled by a DIFFERENT planet due to our evolution in "planetary energy consciousness" (such as when Uranus took over rulership of Aquarius from Saturn (ancient ruler of Aquarius) ). As we become more used to using and developing Uranian energy in ourselves and around us (an ability which will grow during the Aquarian age we are in (Uranus rules Aquarius) ), we become more used to using the FULL extent of Uranian energy, not just its immature "rebellion" at everything, but also its ability to energize those around us for their betterment.

As evidence of this, look at the growing inter-relation of astrology and the computer (all ruled by Uranus, according to the theory I have been proposing). Computers and astrology, while at one-time only distantly related have been coming closer and closer together, to the point that many modern astrologers couldn't imagine being an astrologer without a computer - particularly in having access to the Internet. And computers have freed us from needing to go through all the details simply to do astrology. Now the computer handles the details and we handle the interpretation. While some people have said this creates a "dumbing down" of astrology, to me it creates a greater accessibility to astrology: while charting can a complex, difficult business, being able to push a few buttons on the computer and create a chart eliminates the "data" focus and creates the possibility of a "person" focus.

Also, with the decrease of focus on getting the "details", there is an increase in the number of people who can now do astrology and help others. Thanks to the Internet and astrology software, MANY people can now get their feet wet in astrology, offering their thoughts and ideas, sharing their life learnings with others, and work to help out complete strangers. While some astrologers would not regard these people as "real" astrologers, since they don't have astrological "clients" in the traditional sense, to me they are VERY MUCH astrologers, because they are using their time and effort to try to help develop other's social security and understand their "place" in the world.

And, to me, that is what astrology, ruled by Uranus, is all about! ;)

Uranistically,

Tim

starsong

Hi everyone, new recruit here.

I just wanted to say that I agree wholeheartedly with everything wilsontc said in his last post.

I've been interested in astrology for as long as I can remember (and that is a LONG time!) Until the last few months I've been unable to progress satisfactorily past beginner stage, for various reasons. I invested in some astrology software which has made all the difference to my studies. Whilst I suspect that I'll never be a "proper" astrologer, and will probably never know the joys of drawing up a chart with pencil, paper and ephemeris, I can now see so much . With the aid of information freely and voluminously available on the internet - how can any inspired newbie fail to learn?

With regard to the original point of this thread, I 'm not sure there needs to be a "ruler" of astrology. Many different configurations might steer an individual towards studying the subject, I suppose. From what I've picked up by reading around various forums it seems that Scorpio, 8th house, Uranus, and strong Mercury all figure somewhere in the picture.

My own indicators might be: Uranus conjunct South Node 11th house (Taurus)with North node in Scorpio, Aquarius Sun in 8th house, Pluto in 1st house and Mars at 28.54 Scorpio. Someone mentioned fixed star Bungula earlier I think, and that's conjunct my Mars too.

Perhaps I qualify - but if not, I'll continue studying anyway.... :wink:

Frisiangal

Never the less, astrology it is still Mercurial in it's nature: inquisitive, investigative, calculative and concerning knowledge, thought and idea.

[/quote]

And not forgetting that Mercury is ruler of Virgo! Astrology is all about reading symbolism and making A+B=C. :wink: :wink:

F.

Draco

Hi all,

And not forgetting that Mercury is ruler of Virgo! Astrology is all about reading symbolism and making A+B=C.

Indeed, Virgo is the acquisition of data, the techniques, the charts, methodical analysis, and all the practical rudiments of erecting a chart. Gemini is the thought, idea, symbolism, imagination, interpretative and communicative side. Both are Mercurial influences.

Not that I see Mercury as exclusively ruling over astrology by any means, but I find it suprising that s/he is almost totally overlooked, given that astrolgical study (Gemini) and practice (Virgo) depends upon such Mercurial activity.

Sorry for resurrecting this post but I was asking this question in another post and it is interesting reading it. I have always pretty much been interested in astrology as far as I can remember. I remember a friend of mine told me that I was a Capricorn when I was 4 years old (my friend was 4 as well) but I later discovered the next year that I was an Aquarian (she was born on 19 Jan and me on 23). Since, then I have flirted with astrology but have never truly dived into it.

I am also going to answer a question that I asked on another post (asking whether I should take up astrology professionally despite my what I feel lack of knowledge) and say that my interest in astrology comes from Aqu sun and mercury that are conjunct (10th house) and that are being squared by Uranus in Scorp (in 7th). Therefore, maybe I might be half decent as an astrologer (after a lot of reading/training).

I have noticed that I am thoroughly interested in people's natal charts and their relationships rather than other forms of astrology. Must have something to do with the 7th house Uranus.

Last edited:

Lioness725

I have read some things about Neptune in the third house and Pluto in the first house as a possible indicator. Basically because of interest in deeper things, always wanting to unravel mysteries, knowing there is so much unexplained things in life....ect. I have both these placements, that is why I know about them. I can't tell you about apsects I haven't read about.

I was recently looking at my sister's chart, I hadn't really looked at it because we have never been close as sister's. I was quite surprised she had Uranus in the 3rd trine the Moon and her Mercury conjunct Uranus. I have in my chart Uranus in the 3rd trine Moon/Mercury conjunction. I always thought of these as my interest in Astrology aspects but my sister has similar placements and is not interested in Astrology.

I think the difference must be the strong Neptune in my chart. With my Jupiter in Leo 11th house. I have my Uranus in the 3rd house 7 degrees away conjunct I.C oppose M.C. My uranus is in Scorpio and hers is in Sagittarius. My Uranus is staitionary in 3rd not too sure if hers is. :p

Plus she only has one planet in water and 6 in fire she has a stellium of 5 planets in the 3rd house (she is never off the phone, doesn't talk to me though,) the only planet above the horizon is her Moon in 7th. I would say she is more for friends than family. I don't mean her boyfriend and two kids. But siblings and my mum although she speaks to my mum all the time on the phone but doesn't really visit. Not that I can talk my stellium is in the 7th I spend all my time concerning my relationship and baby. It is interesting with us both having Uranus in 3rd and not being close as siblings. I can see how different we are in our charts.

My sister only has two little squares but I suppose 3 personal planets conjunct Uranus must mean something. I am compelled to read her whole chart now. I only got my siblings birth data to compare careers in the chart. (and yes my sister has worked in sales with her massive stellium in 3rd).

Sibling Rivalry hey :D

Shining Ray

My partner has no interest in astrology, despite having saturn, part of fortune and mars in the 8th - must be the leo influence on it that detracts. He also has Ura, Moon, SN in Sco/11th but that doesn't really turn him on astrology. He has an intercepted 6th house-12th house - probably causes his disbelief.