IMportance of 8th house?

shwetarose

Active member
Hello all,

I m learning from net all the importance of houses,planets, meanings.

Would get to know more abt the Importance of 8th house which is house of sex...what if one has venus in it? which planets means what in 8th house?

Sorry if i have not put my question properly.

thanks..
 

wilsontc

Staff member
modern vs. traditional astrology, to rose

rose,

This subject of "what is the 8th house about?" is a very hotly debated topic. Your saying the 8th house is the "house of sex" is the modern view of the 8th house, which has the 8th house as a "blending" house which comes between the one-on-one "relationships" of the 7th house and the out and out "expansion" of the 9th house.

Then there is the traditional view, which regards the 8th house as an unfortunate house:
"The idea of astrologers electing a good time to enjoy sexual activities by strengthening the influence of the Eighth house would be amusing; were it not for the abusive violations and experiences of fear and anguish related to sex that may fall within its domain." -- Deborah Houlding Houses: Temples of the Sky

So the modernists would say that Venus (relationships) focused in the 8th house (transformation, also sex) indicates a person who is focused on sexual relationships. While the traditionalists would say a person whose Venus is focused in the 8th house (fear and anguish, abuse) would say that this person would have very difficult, unpleasant relationship experiences.

Personally, I like the modern view. For, while the 8th house can be very challenging, once you are aware of the challenges, you can better use your energy so that the "sexuality" of the 8th house is empowering (another modern 8th house meaning).

Modernly,

Tim
 

sallyd

Well-known member
I love my eighth house sun (and mercury)

I think it's a bit daft to associate only negative stuff with a house, same as it is to associate only negative stuff with an astrological sign. I think of the eigth house as having all the Scorpio stuff attached to it - the scary bits but also the perceptive insightfulness too....

I thank my eighth house sun for me not being as flippant as I'd often like to be.....

:)
 

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi folks,
The eighth house is traditionally the house of death, taxes, inheritances, *other people's resources*-in fact the things in our life that are *dead certainties* to put it in a colloquial fashion!
William Lilly has this to say about the eighth house:
The Eighth House.

The Estate of Men deceased, Death, its quality and nature; the Wills, Legacies and Testaments of Men deceased; Dowry of the Wife, Portion of the Maid, whether much or little, easie to be btained or with difficulty. In Duels it represents the Adversaries Second; in Lawsuits the Defendants friends. What kinde of Death a Man shall dye., it signifies fear and anguish of Minde. Who shall enjoy or be heir to the Deceased.

It rules the Privy-Parts. Of colours, the green and Black.

Of Signes it hath Scorpio for Cosignificator, and Saturn, the Hemoroids, the Stone, Strangury, Poysons, and Bladder are ruled by this house; and is a succedant House, and Feminine.

Saturn was once to be the ruler of this house.and no planets are said to *joy* in this house.Modernly Pluto has been said to be the ruler of house 8-and thus associated with scorpio.
I think the eighth house is a very complex house- but in horary astrology,when significators are found there,good rarely comes of the question.Natal astrology is different in that the placement of planets describes the life of the native...Not just a single component of that life.
Hope that helps,
Cheers, Lillyjgc




 

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Just wait until this house comes up in my article. ^.^ I too agree that it's a bit weird to have wholly negative houes, but unfortunately, those decisions were made by astrologers long before any of us came along, so there's really nothing we can do about that except try to understand why traditional astrologers thought of these houses this way.

Tim quoted my sig! ^.^

Lilly also makes a good point about differentiations between branches of astrology. I find it more and more difficult to use natal rules in horary/event/electionals and vice versa...
 

sallyd

Well-known member
Kaiousei no Senshi said:
Just wait until this house comes up in my article. ^.^ I too agree that it's a bit weird to have wholly negative houes, but unfortunately, those decisions were made by astrologers long before any of us came along, so there's really nothing we can do about that except try to understand why traditional astrologers thought of these houses this way.

I spose it's because over the course of time, views have changed about what is 'bad' haven't they? Women have traditionally always been objects of suspicion, from Eve and Pandora onwards...the Victorians threw their hands up in horror at anything sex-related - at least in polite conversation...
 
Hello,

What I would "expect" with Venus in the 8th House, (looking only at this isolated element of your WHOLE horoscope), is someone who loves to enhance the value of others. Whether it's taking something they created and putting your own personal "touch" on it to increase its value or whether it's just making others value themselves more; this is at the base of what it means.

The 8th House is also about things with DEPTH...mysteries, soul-bonds, anything that is larger than life and difficult to fathom without PERSPECTIVE. Having Venus (relationship planet) there indicates that you want (relationships-wise) DEPTH. (ie. to LOVE totally and completely as if possessed by this love) Venus also relates (of course) to things that you VALUE...and in this sense, it's a love of deep subjects...something where the TRUTH is buried and must be uncovered somehow. This house also often relates to psychotherapy and related topics. It's likely that you have a strong desire to get to the bottom of WHY YOU DO WHAT YOU DO, especially as it relates to how the circumstances of the past have a strong bearing on the present.

Not having seen your whole chart, I can't comment on the gestalt of what's going on with you in terms of life and the lessons that you've decided to work on in this lifetime, but you should see that the comments above RING with a certain personal truth to them, when you think about what is IMPORTANT to YOU.

Hope this helps!
 
OneWhoReadsTheStars said:
Hello,

What I would "expect" with Venus in the 8th House, (looking only at this isolated element of your WHOLE horoscope), is someone who loves to enhance the value of others. Whether it's taking something they created and putting your own personal "touch" on it to increase its value or whether it's just making others value themselves more; this is at the base of what it means.

The 8th House is also about things with DEPTH...mysteries, soul-bonds, anything that is larger than life and difficult to fathom without PERSPECTIVE. Having Venus (relationship planet) there indicates that you want (relationships-wise) DEPTH. (ie. to LOVE totally and completely as if possessed by this love) Venus also relates (of course) to things that you VALUE...and in this sense, it's a love of deep subjects...something where the TRUTH is buried and must be uncovered somehow. This house also often relates to psychotherapy and related topics. It's likely that you have a strong desire to get to the bottom of WHY YOU DO WHAT YOU DO, especially as it relates to how the circumstances of the past have a strong bearing on the present.

Not having seen your whole chart, I can't comment on the gestalt of what's going on with you in terms of life and the lessons that you've decided to work on in this lifetime, but you should see that the comments above RING with a certain personal truth to them, when you think about what is IMPORTANT to YOU.

Hope this helps!

Any insights for those of us with Venus in Scorpio in the 8th house (with the 8th house also in Scorpio) in their birth charts?
 

QuaOs

Well-known member
Hey, another 8th house discussion right? ;)

I prefer the "phases of life approach" to houses. If 7th is associated with marriages, partnerships, enterpreneurship, social contracts in other forms (including open oppositions/enemies which are of negative form) after some times in 6th apprenticeship/routine work (salary-people?), then 8th can be associated with time of crisis (midlife?), initiation by death or death-like experiences that open and prepare the soul for next 9th "higher knowledge and understanding" as well as religious faith, such as in shamanic traditions. We can really experience god or whatever higher concepts after such experience.

And this house can be linked with sex in these ways:
the primal forces of life and death, including fear of death (which is the main driving force after Scorpionic sex),
the primal cosmic forces of creation and destruction,
the primal fear at the edge of an abyss that we dread, but can't help being lured toward it, then falling down one-way into its unfathomable depth after at last stepping across the treshold.
the one-way path, that we are all queueing blindfolded, not knowing when our time will come...

And when that veil opens before us and we are pushed beyond it, the original innocence is lost forever and there is no turning back.
 

Claire19

Well-known member
shwetarose said:
Hello all,

I m learning from net all the importance of houses,planets, meanings.

Would get to know more abt the Importance of 8th house which is house of sex...what if one has venus in it? which planets means what in 8th house?

Sorry if i have not put my question properly.

thanks..

I have Venus in LIbra in 8th and it doesnt function well there being opposite to the 2nd house which it naturally rules with Taurus. You have to look at the aspects that are made to Venus and from what houses. Jealousy, secrecy, power trips and even using sex to gain assets etc. It is a manipulative placement and you can attract lovers who are involved with criminal activities or there again just a plumber or an insurance agent. It all depends on the aspects. The chart has to be looked at as a whole.
 

23

Well-known member
I in effect agree with the modern interpretation of the 8th. Personally for me, I see it as the house of "pulling things in by looking for it", by this I mean both material and non-material things such as sex, money, spiritual/emotional/soulful closeness, knowledge (through research). A deep desire to get to the bottom of things and constantly trying to get to the bottom even if there is not one (and not really feeling dejected by it). It also feels very undefined and nebulous, fluid. I'm very interested in what others would say about my loose definition.

The 8th house is an interesting house for my chart personally. Its not the first chart that others might look at in my chart as I have a lot of big planets in the angles so people might be drawn to that. My 8th is ruled by sco (I have pluto in libra/6th) and I only have one planet in the 8th, that is, neptune but I also have my NN and vertex there too. I'm learning how to appreciate and am actually seeing how these impact on me. I feel that I am constantly on the search or more appropriately constantly investigating and research things in my life. I feel like a vacuum cleaner sometimes. I think it might have a lot to do with my interest in astrology as well.
 

astrobhadauria

Well-known member
attachment.php
If second house belongs to mouth,then 8th house belongs to mouth of life partner,if this house related to death it means kissing of life partner is the symbol of death,8th house always related to left side.When any bad effects start with 8th house,it means the left side start to destroy,like heart in the left side of body,and when Sun in the 8th house,it means there are many chances for heart attecks.
 

Attachments

  • kiss.jpg
    kiss.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 186

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Kaiousei,
Can you remind me if your traditional view has Saturn ruling 1st and 8th houses? Does that mean Mars rules 10th and 11th?? Venus rules 5th I think I remember. I can't remember more than that. What rules 7th and 2nd?
What I need to know with the traditional houses is how does it all fit in with the balance of opposites, otherwise it isn't logical to me.
The arrangement of signs by traditional planet rulership is extremely logical in its balance around the wheel, therefore I want the houses to be logical too, as that's the way I can understand how the energies work.

Hey-ya Charm. You can find the article I've put together concerning the houses in the Natal astrology sub-forum, (Houses & Cusps to be more specific, it's a sticky there) or you can follow the Clash of the Temples links in my signiture below to take you to the off-site post of it. Hopefully that will hold the information you're looking for, but if not, please alert me. :)
 

Claire19

Well-known member
I do believe that the 8th house as ruled by Pluto is the house of "death". It deals with major transformations such as the passing into the afterlife. It is also the house of the "little death" which is orgasm. It deals with death matters such as inheritance, estate matters and transits here always herald a death of something, someone or some situation. It is true that it is the house of rebirth also. After all there is no death as such. :) I have a stellium in the 8th plus a heavily aspected Pluto and know that it is valid. The 12th house also deals with death along with Neptune but is more the transcendance of life.
 

Claire19

Well-known member
astrobhadauria said:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1727&stc=1&d=1208284892If second house belongs to mouth,then 8th house belongs to mouth of life partner,if this house related to death it means kissing of life partner is the symbol of death,8th house always related to left side.When any bad effects start with 8th house,it means the left side start to destroy,like heart in the left side of body,and when Sun in the 8th house,it means there are many chances for heart attecks.

I agree that the 2nd house as ruled by Taurus rules the mouth, but also the chin and the throat. I dont see that the the 8th house rules this area of the partner. It is the house of shared assets and the partner is more illustrated by what the 7th house holds, its ruler and any planets etc. THe sun in the 8th house, depending on the sign and the aspects can heral the death by heart attack or area ruled by the sun such as the upper back and spinal area including gall bladder.

SO many die of heart attacks and they dont all have their sun in or transitting the 8th house I am sure.

:)
 

Claire19

Well-known member
Saturn is the planet of restriction, where we tend to be weakest or most vulnerable or have specific karma to deal with. It is basically the karmic teacher but doesnt relate to death as such. It can mean inhibition and repression which is not the same thing. Actually it is the planet of endurance in its most positive form. No relationship lasts without Saturn contacts, even the so called negative ones.
 

aquarius7000

Well-known member
Q: What would you say to a Jupiter (as the only planet) in 8th house of Pisces; and only in sextile to MC (in Taurus); sun is aquarian in house 6 (im case this helps) ?
 

Moulin

Well-known member
Hi all,

If l use equal house system i have my moon/venus/saturn/NN/chiron stellium in the 8th house, in Aries.

I think it fits me quite well, although venus seems better in 9th as l am attracted to foreigners !!

I don't see it as negative at all but then nothing is negative to me. "negative" is just another way of saying "life experiences" and l do love to experience life and learn as much as possible.

I am not so into traveling nor distant places so l think 8th stellium instead of 9th stellium is right.

Interesting thread :)
 

aquarius7000

Well-known member
Moulin said:
Hi all,

If l use equal house system i have my moon/venus/saturn/NN/chiron stellium in the 8th house, in Aries.

I think it fits me quite well, although venus seems better in 9th as l am attracted to foreigners !!

I don't see it as negative at all but then nothing is negative to me. "negative" is just another way of saying "life experiences" and l do love to experience life and learn as much as possible.

I am not so into traveling nor distant places so l think 8th stellium instead of 9th stellium is right.

Interesting thread :)
Moulin, you don't have to be into travelling in order to justify Venus in 9. One can also travel in the mind (those permanent dreamers!!); or be interested in philosophy, religion and the like. You say that U r attracted to foreigners - that could be reason enough for Venus in 9. Venus in 8 would make one more sex oriented than love oriented, or very occult oriented for e.g.
 
Top