I Ching

Rebel Uranian

One day, I was reading about the I Ching. I was like "OK, I got this. It really is sweet and simple." ...Until they started throwing in all sorts of weird interpretations and psychology and stuff. The Abysmal doesn't represent a universal concept of control and danger at every turn, it represents exaggerated security seeking in human personalities (by the way, all the information on psychology at that site is either wrong or doesn't make sense to me. Weird people need to stop turning the occult into weird and wrong psychology. If it ain't broke, don't fix it). Would anyone who is an expert on this please direct me to a good source on this I Ching stuff and how it applies to real life?

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

One day, I was reading about the I Ching. I was like "OK, I got this. It really is sweet and simple."

...Until they started throwing in all sorts of weird interpretations and psychology and stuff.

The Abysmal doesn't represent a universal concept of control and danger at every turn, it represents exaggerated security seeking in human personalities

(by the way, all the information on psychology at that site is either wrong or doesn't make sense to me.

Weird people need to stop turning the occult into weird and wrong psychology. If it ain't broke, don't fix it). Would anyone who is an expert on this please direct me to a good source on this I Ching stuff and how it applies to real life?
fwiw I'm no expert, I once read the Richard Wilhelm version and then experimented with the idea and then read a few other versions. The I Ching - like astrology - is not mastered in an afternoon:smile:

I Ching readings are composed of:

(1) main message, or hexagram = theme of the story/ basic message of the hexagram - is also the beginning of the "timeline" of the story: i.e. where things are now, in the present.

(2) the changing lines = middle of the story: following the timeline. The first changing line informs about the very beginning of the situation. The succeeding lines inform about where the situation is going. Line 6 informs where the situation is likely to end up.

(3) the future reading = When you change the changing lines to their opposites, you have a new hexagram, which indicates the future of the situation.

QUOTE:
“But it is not a story that is just being told to you. It is a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' story.
The hexagram you receive, which carries the main message, will tell you what forces are in play now, and will probably give you some advice on how to deal with it. It is entirely up to the individual however, whether to follow that advice - Or not” http://bookofchanges.org/id1.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching

JerryRR

A good source on the I Ching and how to apply it,I suggest- "I Ching-book of changes." Richard Wilhelm translation.(Arkana)
K'an / The Abysmal (water) page 114.

Also- "The Astrology of I Ching." Translated by W.K.Chu.
K'an page 250.

J.R.

StillOne

I'm not an expert, but I did consult the I Ching yesterday. I don't think websites do the I Ching justice. It's better consulted in book form IMO.

It is an ancient book of Wisdom from China that present insight to situations you are likely to see in life, how the situation changes (it's also known as the book of changes), and what the resolution will be. I feel it helps you think outside of the box or get insight that you might have not considered, etc.

There are various ways to consult the book. You may read about your situation directly should you know what you're facing. Or, you may ask a question and use a variety of methods for generating a hexagram with a number of changing lines. In this last way, you are essentially asking the universe to provide you with divination much like an oracle.

Yesterday I used the six-coin method for consulting. Here 5 coins are similar and one is different. I posed my question while shaking the coins in my hands. Then let them fall on the floor and arranged them in a line according to how they landed. The different coin was used to develop the changing line. This is a simple method that only generates one changing line. Heads represent yang (solid) lines and tails yin (broken) lines.

I have 2 books: The Laws of Change by Balkin is quite controversial but I like it in that it gives a lot of information and discussion. It's the one I read the most. The other is more traditional: The Complete I Ching by Master Huang.

If you have an iPhone there's a decent app called Yi Jing.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Rebel Uranian

A good source on the I Ching and how to apply it,I suggest- "I Ching-book of changes." Richard Wilhelm translation.(Arkana)
K'an / The Abysmal (water) page 114.

I actually found this book posted on the Internet before I found a bunch of confusing stuff. I think I'll just stick with it for symbol explanations. Of course, it (as in what I found) only tells what the symbols mean, not how the I Ching system and interpretations work, which is much more complicated...

I don't think websites do the I Ching justice. It's better consulted in book form IMO.

I think I'd agree.

@Everyone - good advice. Thanks.

dr. farr

I'll go along with the recommendations above-the Wilhem and Master Huang books are quite solid.
"Astrology of I Ching" is a much more complex, advanced workj (albeit of great value)

There is an application of I Ching to horary astrology (I touched on the method back on skyscript a couple of years ago in the "Other forms of Divinination" thread), "Dr. Mo's method", where horary astrological data is translated into I Ching hexagrams for delineation, but that's another story:andy:!!

JUPITERASC

I'll go along with the recommendations above-the Wilhem and Master Huang books are quite solid. "Astrology of I Ching" is a much more complex, advanced workj (albeit of great value)

There is an application of I Ching to horary astrology (I touched on the method back on skyscript a couple of years ago in the "Other forms of Divinination" thread), "Dr. Mo's method", where horary astrological data is translated into I Ching hexagrams for delineation, but that's another story:andy:!!
Thank you dr. farr – for all those interested and for ease of reference, here is a link to the Skyscript thread you have mentioned that you posted on at that time http://skyscript.co.uk/forums/viewt...start=30&sid=60e858fbee70ea118882c2bbe1c6d6c5:smile:

QUOTE FROM DR. FARR
Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:46 am Post subject: Converting an astrological chart into an I Ching Hexagram

I Ching divination has been mentioned several times in a number of recent threads. I thought it might be of some interest to Skyscript members using I Ching to pass on a method I learned back in the 90's from "Dr. Mo", an Oriental Medicine doctor practicing at that time in the "Chinatown" area near downtown Los Angeles. Now what I am about to describe is NOT astrology, but it uses astrology to "cast" the I Ching hexagram (which latter is read for the prognostic interpretation).

dr. farr you also said: Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:09 am
For those interested in making a study of I Ching astrological correspondences (within the context of the various Chinese "astrologies") may I recommend the following:

-"The Astrology of the I Ching" (A translation of the Ho Map Lo Map Rational Number); editied W.A. Sherrill, Arkana Penguin Books, 1993

-also see"I Ching Anthology", Sherrill + Chu, Arkana/Penguin, 1989, chapter 3-'Astrologies related to the I Ching'

JerryRR

From the,"The Pocket I-Ching" by Melyan & Chu.
Quote.
"First decide your question.The more specific you make it the better.For instance,to ask "Will I get rich?" is too hazy."...Also,"either-or" questions are to be avoided."

"It is best to calm yourself,concentrate on the question and then throw the coins."

J.R.

powerion

I know I have picked up on the little things all my life, just yesterday I got in the car and started singing jumper by 3rd eye blind lol...anyways turned on the radio n it was just ending

Zaphod

While working with the Haindl tarot deck, which has hexagrams on many of the cards, I needed a quick look-up source and found this site:

http://www2.unipr.it/~deyoung/I_Ching_Wilhelm_Translation.html

Although it's just the Wilhelm translation laid out for easy access, it has a handy tabular electronic index that lets you jump easily from one hexagram to another without having to flip pages. And the transcription isn't too bad either; I haven't found more than a handful of typos so far (but I haven't done a page-by-page comparison to my published copy).