How did you get into astrology?

Frank

I can’t remember a time when I was NOT “into astrology” – my mother was interested in astrology in a general way. Dell Horoscope and other astrology books and magazines were always around the house. In 1968 (when I was 8 years old), “Linda Goodman’s Sun Signs” made its appearance as bathroom reading material.

When I was 16, my mother went to a “psychic party” where she met a “Mr. Dee” - who she made an appointment with to finally have her chart read. One week before her appointment, she had a massive stroke and died after spending a couple of weeks in a coma.

The next day that the library was open after her funeral, I checked out a book that told one how to calculate a chart – I still don’t know what book it was – and I was off and running. I became a voracious reader of astrology books and delineated as many charts as I had time to calculate by hand.

Astrology followed me into the U.S. Air Force via a couple of books, an Ephemeris, a Table of Houses, and plenty of blank chart forms. It stayed with me through the Philippines, Berlin (when the Wall was still up), and England.

One thing that always bothered me was that my time of birth was not on my birth certificate – or so I thought. My oldest brother told me I was born early in the morning, so I rectified my chart to just past Midnight, with Scorpio rising.

When I was stationed in England, I needed an official birth certificate to get a Passport, and when I wrote back to Pennsylvania – lo and behold - there was a time of 4:52 a.m. – Capricorn rising, but with the same degree of Scorpio on the MC: what I had rectified my ascendant to be.

Shortly thereafter, I found out there was such a thing as computer software for calculating astrology charts. I bought a PC-compatable machine (I had been using Apple //c – this was 1989 after all) and purchased Blue*Star from the Matrix software rep in the U.K., Martin Davis.

Having freed myself of the burden of hand calculation, my astrology volume increased exponentially and I began taking paying clients. England also allowed me the opportunity to connect with an English-speaking astrology community – which I took full advantage of, joining and later acting as chair of the local astrology group and attending Astrological Association and Urania Trust functions regularly.

Fast forward a bit through the years when I left the Air Force and went back to the USA and back to school (I chose the school through Astro*Carto*Graphy and Local Space), worked at Matrix Software, served 8 years on the AFAN Steering Committee, wrote some articles, spent a lot of time doing astrology on the Internet, lectured at many conferences and local groups, and met and became friends with a lot of great astrologers and people along the way.

Astrology has always been there, and will continue to be there.

piscesascendant

Go to any bookstore, and the astrology section is almost always devoid of people. A customer might briefly glance at the titles, and then move on. Occasionally, someone will pull a book from the shelf and shuffle through the pages.
Interesting, because I work at a bookstore, and where I work, that couldn't be further from the truth.

A disproportionate amount of those who do so are women. You know where this is going right?
Don't roll your eyes ladies, man always comes up with new and creative ways to catch his prey.
I'll grant you that countless men may think of new--and lame--ways to pick up women, but I am genuinely interested in the field, and am actually turned off by people simply looking for ways to simply get laid or get rich with astrology. Of course, sex and money are as part of astrology as the rest of life, but there is so much more to it than that. If only those astrology "window shoppers" knew that sun signs are perhaps the least influential, for lack of a better term, when it comes (no pun intended) to sex and money. Have to introduce them to Venus, Mars and Pluto for that..

Interesting how two planets overlap with regards to their influence in sex and money--Mars and Pluto.

Last edited:

Rasmith

Well, from when I was little, my family would gather around and read the local newspaper for horoscopes and basic personal sun sign traits. They would get really psyched reading about themselves, and they would look at me, find my birth date, and find I was a Virgo. Then they would be thrown off, since I didn't seem like someone who was critical and pessimistic for much of the time.

Then a few months ago, one of my good friends showed me a site where I could find my sun, moon, ascendant, planets etc. And it was surprising to find that I had Libra rising, with Mercury and Venus in Libra as well. From then on, I've been hooked.

Misa

I got into astrology at a pretty young age(I was 9 or 10).I would like to say it was because I was into(And still am) the anime Sailor Moon is why I got into astrology. Obviously this isn't the real reason, the real reason is that my mom got me into it. She would study her chart and I would ask her about mine. We have alot of astrology books in our house and when I got to be 14 I started reading and studying this books along with my chart, so in a way I kinda got myself into it, but mom and (Sailor Moon) helped =)

m0ney*p0wer*re$pect

I like knowing about things other ppl dont plus astrology help u know things about yourself that maybe you questioned in the past, really it helpe me develope more with understanding for why i do the things u do

Virinchi

for me it started with numerology(a book writtenby chiero) and moon signs later.
it was in the family but none took it up in last generation and i was the only one to explore it

wintersprite1

Premium Member
The reach of Astrology had always been around. When I first started reading, my father would pick up Astrology and occult books when he would go out and buy a carload of used books.... my family, we all have Mercury conj Mars. He wouldn't say anything but, "here" and I would go, "thanks". Most were current pop culture like Joseph Goodavage's (sp) Astrology: the Space Age Science or something by Jess Stern.

The real push to learn and devour more and more information (Eek, Astrology Cyborg!) Was at 18, meeting an Aquarian and trying to figure out :alien:... and armed only with Linda Goodman's Love Signs. I quickly progressed to reading Alan Leo's series... and like letting the genie out of the bottle, I could not ever go back.

TK

CarrieLee

Even though I was a devout Catholic in high school I would go to the Occult section in the New London bookstore. When I was questioning that Catholicism in early 20s 1992 i entered my first New Age bookstore in mystic CT and bought Spiritual Astrology determined to unlock its secrets. I am still working on learning the so many beautiful things about astrology.
There is no rush for me....:smile:

neko senshi

When I was 11 I found my father's old astrology books from the 60s in the garage. I felt I could identify with my sign and was intrigued to learn more. I had my chart done professionally when I was 13 and found it so accurate with me, my life and my family. So I pursued astrology, buying more books and Visions Astrology software so I can make everyone's chart.

Nereid9

long time ago in the 60s I got interested in astrology bought some books about my sun sign and read some info books way back then there was no internet so just basics. Over the years I have read some more books. Got online just 5 years ago. Went to see my charts. Astrology is a long time interest of mine as a way of seeing what my chart says and what my real life is like. Also something a bit unusual happened in my youth someone predicted something to me when I was in my teens well I am still waiting for it to happen I am not good enough to read my own chart to see if it is there ? Anyway it has been a long time and my time is sort of short.

kaminari

I studied to be a scientist, but I was still interested in the girls I met, & finding out their signs. Eventually I started to see how Libras were so different from me, & I was oddly attracted to Cancers. And I wasn't so attracted to Scorpios, but girls with Mars in Scorpio? Ooh la la!

So I read here & there, until 1996 when I had a terrible break-up with a Gemini. I loved her but totally didn't understand her. So I started to study. And I learned most of the basics & went to a New Age fair & an astrologer was excited to hear my Asc was Aquarius. He said I was going to move. I moved many times.

I looked at the transits for back in 1996, & Uranus was transiting my Asc, forming a T-square with all my planets in Scorpio & Saturn in Taurus.

I have followed astrology but was never a believer. I mainly wanted to "prove it wrong." Well, it's been 13 years & I can't. This year I have become convinced of it's validity & have devoted intense study to it.

Piscean Virtues

I really wasn't that into astrology until my girlfriend took me to barnes and noble i read one book can't remember the name but it described pisces, and it pretty much described me and i was hooked from then. Now im more into astrology than my gf lol

pizzagirl543

I've always been interested in the "unknown" and my mom gave me an Amazon gift card last Christmas. I spent it on this book called, I See Your Dream Job by Sue Frederick. I purchased this book because I was confused as to what I wanted to do in life. She explained that we signed up to be on Earth and that our birthdays reveal what we are here to do and who we really are as people. It taught me the basics of numerology and was a really interesting book! Then being curious by this book, I started to look up 2010 horoscopes and I ended up on astro.cafeastrology.com and it showed me a chart (not the circular birth chart, but I realized that was on the bottom of the webpage last night LOL) of all of my planet signs as well my my sun sign but I had no idea what those meant at the time. Most of the information on this webpage was true and I freaked out! I started learning about our planet signs and very recently about the 12 houses. I still have a lot to learn but I'm really glad I chose to learn about astrology!

Last edited:

Leo.

I got into astrology about 2 years ago. My good friend introduced me, i was attached to it and so amazed and curious.

DiDi

For me it started after my dad died and then my nan cause she couldnt go on without him.. That all raised the memories when my grandad died when i was 8.. I seen him a few times around my nans home and i picked up on lots of activity it scared the bezesus out of me but didnt stop me from going there... I grew up knowing there was something more than death because id seen it...
I allways had some sort of feeling i got from people (vibes) and i would have different dreams than the usual kind and those ones would come true.. Ive had physics say iam natuarl to but ive not opened up that part of me as it gets scary when you have supernatural experiances in your normal day to day activities and bad stuff happens to.. and i dont know how to close them of so i pulled away. I know my family are in a good place.

I started reading near death experiances and then autobiographies from well known clairvoyants, and there was a radio station here in adelaide with scott russel hill for 3 hrs every sat night...

then when i started dateing again i grabed a book when the plannets promis love, it went from there then i found this site in which i have learnt most of what i know about astrology.

I use it to help me learn about getting on with others to, when i dont understand them i reflect to their charts when i can.

whammy:kiss

I've been fascinated by astrology since I was about 13. I also wanted to be a witch when I was younger and felt drawn to all things magical and mystical. I was told my chart points to someone very drawn to the occult, but I'm not sure what part of my chart represents that--my guess is mars in scorpio? pluto in scorpio?

HeyPlayGirl

from one of those chinese zodiac food placemats lol

after seeing one of those i looked up more info online and got really into chinese astro then i stumbled upon cafeastrology and then from there i found this site! :love:

sethi

At age of 12 I read the book of palmistry by cheiros, then at at age 13 I read the book of numbers by cheiros. And i had been practicing palmistry and numerology.
Then at the age of 28, I searched for a good astrologer to answer some questions. After being fooled by a few, I finally got a good astrologer, and after studying him, purchased some astrology books, and i never looked back.

For a quick look i usually see the palms, but for serious detail, you have to look up astrology.
________
Bubbler Pipe

Last edited:
I don't know how i got into astrology, i think it was because of my favourite actress. I remember her birthday and then other celebrities birthdays and then i learned of their star signs and then of my sign and then i think it grew from there. A boring story but i can't remember the specifics as my memory's bad at times (but not with birthdays and astrology stuff...well sometimes it is bad with astrology stuff). Thank god i found it or else i would be missing out. I love astrology. I wish it was taught at my school...i really do.