Harry Potter

Maries

Any more opinions about Harry Potter? No one replied to my inquiry before! What about Hagrid? Sagitarian love of animals, but water sign sensitivity. Cancer maybe? And as I said-- what of the others? Dumbledore? Wise Sagitarian? Hermione? Know it all Aquarian, but overachieving Virgo or Capricorn? Ron? Dunno. Harry himself? Aries leadership and impulsiveness, but his other qualities? The Weasley twins? They are the pranksters, the mischieve makers. What sign encompasses these qualities? Without a doubt, Snape is a Scorpio. What of Sirius Black and Lupin? Any other characters I forgot?

Arian Maverick

J.K. Rowling gave most of these characters birthdays; Harry's a Leo (July 31), Ron's a Pisces (March 1), Hermione's a Virgo, the Weasley twins are Aries (born on April Fools' Day), Dumbledore and Snape are Capricorns (January 1 and January 9, respectively)...and that's all I can remember from memory.

EDIT: Here's a very helpful site from Veritaserum that lists the birthdays of the major characters, as well as those who are part of the cast and crew of the movie series. I've copied and pasted just the list of the book characters, though:

Harry Potter Birthdays

Character Birthdays
Severus Snape - January 9
Lily Potter - January 30
Arthur Weasley - February 6
Ron Weasley - March 1
Remus Lupin - March 10
James Potter - March 27
Pomona Sprout - May 15
Fred and George Weasley - April 1
Draco Malfoy - June 5
Dobby - June 28
Neville Longbottom - July 30
Harry Potter - July 31
Ginny Weasley - August 11
Percy Weasley - August 22
Cho Chang's mother - September 7
Hermione Granger - September 19
Minerva McGonagall - October 4
Filius Flitwick - October 17
Molly Weasley - October 30
Angelina Johnson - sometime in the week before Halloween (exact date unknown)
Bill Weasley - November 29
Hagrid - December 6
Charlie Weasley - December 12
Lord Voldemort - December 31

I've actually attempted to make natal charts for some of the characters, but this is more difficult than you'd think because J.K. Rowling's timetable is off a bit throughout the series. I believe Harry and Ron were both born in 1980, and Hermione was supposedly born before them although I believe her year of birth is listed incorrectly in the timeline in one of the special-feature DVDs; I believe it was the Chamber of Secrets.

I have been particularly interested in Severus Snape, my favorite character in the series; one of the charts I had created for him--although the year of birth is incorrect if the dates on Lily and James' tombstone in The Deathly Hallows are a correct indication (they all were in the same year at Hogwarts and therefore should have been born around the same year)--had a retrograde Venus, which greatly intrigued me. It seemed impossible at the time that Snape could have ever loved someone, so I dismissed the chart as bearing any relevance on the character, but now I wish I had taken it more seriously...

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Cryxellis

So Professor Snape is really a scorpio? I don't think a scorpio had an attitude just like his.. or maybe a little :p I haven't read the order of the phoenix yet, but it was said that Professor Snape is playing a spy and an enemy.. I was wondering what will happen if Voldemort learned of Snape's doing..

Arian Maverick

We receive some key dates in the last book that allow us to determine exactly what year Snape and Harry's parents were born, although unfortunately, J.K. Rowling has not provided any of her characters with an exact time of birth. I had actually made a correct observation about Snape based upon particular planetary placements in an incorrect chart, so there are also sometimes advantages to studying the "wrong" chart. They say that everything happens for a reason ;)

I forget if Snape had a Virgo Moon in the "correct" chart, but I remember "rectifying" one of the charts so that his Virgo Moon was in exact conjunction with Pluto. I think this may have given him a Scorpio Ascendant as well.

I was dismayed to learn that James Potter had his natal Sun and Moon in Aries. Interestingly, his Sun and Moon are square some of the Capricorn planets in Snape's correct chart.

I need to find these charts and post them here, although we don't know exactly where each character was born and at what time.

EDIT: I found the date of Snape's birth in Severus Snape: Data, which is part of the Harry Potter Lexicon, and I included the transits of an important date on the outside. I'm not going to say what this important day was for those who haven't read the last book, but I wonder if we can rectify his chart from it...?

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

IvyCreeping

It's weird because a few Scorpios I know are just ba-BAM super dominant, secretive, and b*tchy, but they are also super sensitive and emotional -- guarded would be the right word. I think J. K. Rowling picked the wrong sign for him. I mean, the unending sense of needing revenge and everything, come on! Yes, Capricorns have the ability to detach themselves from situations in order to do espionage and what not, but Scorpios are better at it. All of this aside, Capricorns get over broken hearts in general a lot faster than Scorpios and I don't want to give away any spoilers, but let's just say that's not really a quality Mr. Snape possesses. :(

BUT I will concur that he is DEFINITLY a Scorpio Rising -- he looks like one, even! The big nose, the hypnotic eyes...oh yeah. Also, the way he's best at working behind the scenes and the way people either love him or hate him? Definitely Scorpio Rising. Oh yeah! Also, it is noted that many Scorpio Rising's first spouses/loves/whatever tend to die. Weeeeeiiiiiirrrrrddddd...

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

I just looked at the Sabian symbol for Snape's Sun out of curiosity, and I was surprised by how easily I could imagine him as "a child of about five carrying a huge shopping bag filled with groceries." To me, this symbol is all about responsibility, and Snape certainly had a lot of that...

Can anyone tell that I'm obsessed? :D

Arian Maverick

MDH

It is interesting to think of what inspired her to choose these dates or if they were just spontaneously chosen for entirely no reason.

Knowing she is a leo, and leos are pretty prone to that sort of thing...

Arian Maverick

I know that Harry Potter shares J.K. Rowling's birthday, but other characters' birthdays were probably chosen because they were on or near certain holidays, feast days, the days of patron saints, etc. J.K. Rowling borrowed heavily from mythology to name her characters, so I wouldn't be surprised that she also chose the dates of birth with great care.

Arian Maverick

Jilly

Banned
You should see her house, lovely.

I as a scorpio would entirely agree with the theory that Snape should have been a scorpio. He is sooo scorpio, I love him, but the intrigue about him is changed somewhat when we are told that he had been in love with Lily Potter and lost her to James. He never again as far as we can see, had another deep relationship...now that is soo scorpio, and as we know he is scorpio rising, all the more apt as Lily dies...proving the point that the first loves of said scorpios die.

TayTay

It is interesting to think of what inspired her to choose these dates or if they were just spontaneously chosen for entirely no reason.

Knowing she is a leo, and leos are pretty prone to that sort of thing...
I don't think that's the case considering JK Rowling is/was fairly into astrology.

An unpublished work of her's has surfaced that is a 12 page personal horoscope/birth chart she did of a friend's child ( link: http://www.paulfrasercollectibles.com/section.asp?catid=73&docid=4039 ), so she obviously had to have been fairly into astrology to know how to create one.

So surely she must have given each character their birthdate for a specific reason. I wouldn't doubt it if she had a birth chart for each of them, in fact.

I'd really like to know the rising signs and time of birth for Tom Felton, Daniel Radcliffe, and Rupert Grint, though.

byjove

Account Closed
I've always been fascinated by the Luna and Hermione brand of intelligence...Luna seems to me like a very Piscean-girl, with a few planets probably, Mercury and Sun to begin with, and Hermione, besides stable logic, there's also simply hard-work...not self-indulging at all, Virgo-Cap or something. I started a thread a while back on these two. The demise of Hermione's brand of intelligence in favour of Luna's in book 7 was incredible...even though I love Hermione too!! :whistling:

Courtney Love

JKW had to love astrology, she got so many things right that even the actors that were chosen to play the children were the same sun sign (Harry/DanRad leos, & Hermione/Emma Virgos)

I loved how firey she made proud leo Ginny Weasely, and the aries sun fitted the twins well, same as Hagrid, make him a huge Saggie who loves animals and the outdoors, cheerful, childlike, independent, I loved Hagrid.

JupiterEyed

Ahh... This reminds of the many nights back in '04 and '05 I spent trying to rectify or otherwise figure out the charts of my favorite characters, especially for those of Susan Kay's Phantom, based off a hybrid of ALW's musical and the original Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux.

Absolutely makes me smile to see that I'm not the only one with this interest!!

I also bet she has a specific birth chart for each character. It'd be surprising if she didn't, though I could understand why someone acquainted with more than the basics would choose not to.

Perhaps she'll be willing to show us her cards on Pottermore? :smile:

juicey J.

Banned
Scorpio rising with sun in cappy in the 3rd would make some sense for snape. Tom riddle is everything bad about cappy one can about imagine. In fact interesting the 3 major power players in the potter series are capricorns.

Last edited:
J.K. Rowling gave most of these characters birthdays; Harry's a Leo (July 31), Ron's a Pisces (March 1), Hermione's a Virgo, the Weasley twins are Aries (born on April Fools' Day), Dumbledore and Snape are Capricorns (January 1 and January 9, respectively)...and that's all I can remember from memory.

EDIT: Here's a very helpful site from Veritaserum that lists the birthdays of the major characters, as well as those who are part of the cast and crew of the movie series. I've copied and pasted just the list of the book characters, though:

I've actually attempted to make natal charts for some of the characters, but this is more difficult than you'd think because J.K. Rowling's timetable is off a bit throughout the series. I believe Harry and Ron were both born in 1980, and Hermione was supposedly born before them although I believe her year of birth is listed incorrectly in the timeline in one of the special-feature DVDs; I believe it was the Chamber of Secrets.

I have been particularly interested in Severus Snape, my favorite character in the series; one of the charts I had created for him--although the year of birth is incorrect if the dates on Lily and James' tombstone in The Deathly Hallows are a correct indication (they all were in the same year at Hogwarts and therefore should have been born around the same year)--had a retrograde Venus, which greatly intrigued me. It seemed impossible at the time that Snape could have ever loved someone, so I dismissed the chart as bearing any relevance on the character, but now I wish I had taken it more seriously...

Arian Maverick

Movie define some similarities between Harry and Voldemort but no any sign shows their relativity.