Hard times ahead, Survival and Prepping *Text only, no politics*

Blaze

Re: Hard times ahead, Survival and Prepping

Pathogen avoidance has weakened peoples immune systems in ways I was worried about. Here are some tips to bring it back,

- Vitamin D3. If you can get sunlight, get some, about an hour a day. If not, supplements are available, just be cautious when taking them as most are a high dosage (1,000 IU's) and with that dose, you could poison yourself. Because the colder months are coming for half of us, you'll naturally get less sun, so make sure to stock up.

- Zinc. Nuts of all kinds contain Zinc, but somehow, most of us don't get enough of it. Supplements exist for it, but like the above, be careful when using them as they usually exceed the daily recommended amount. Low or high amounts of Zinc can lead to hair loss, so be warned! (Unless you're already balding, then go nuts! :tongue: )

- Vitamin B. A complex B vitamin is important for brain health and with the heavy use of masks these past two years (breathing in ones own CO2 is deadly for the brain), our brains need all the support they can get.

- Laugher. I'm serious here. Spend time with loved ones, laugh, turn the tv/phone off and live as we humans are meant to. Laughing is one of the best medicines out there.

Note: I'm not a doctor, just someone with experience. Talk to your doctor before taking anything.

Edit -No Picture Memes is in the rules, Mon Ami. I knew I put it there, please leave links to pictures, not memes themselves. They take up so much space, thanks.

chay

Banned

If we don't get the 90% vaxxed population here there will be more lockdowns. I love this level we have now...because I can see my other daughter and my grandson but can avoid everyone else. Very very blessed to be on land, we have 3 steers, a heifer, chickens, sheep and little horses. The horse manure is amazing fertiliser. We might get the heifer pregnant and make her a nurse cow as she's very friendly and lets us handle her. That wont be for a year and a half though but we could milk her as well and make cheese, butter and yogurt. We have had sheep done...the meat fills the freezers. Blessed with eggs so lots of meals of eggs and I'm picking spinach, chard & herbs so far. Its coming into spring so will get some seeds in too. Its a really nice feeling to step outside and pick a meal. I could also get sheep done into dog food later. There are a ton of rabbits but French bulldogs are hopeless hunters. If it got seriously hard to access food we could also eel and get watercress and maybe freshwater cray and fish fry just down the hill. Hope not though. We're going to make more effort with the garden this year. We've had a drought and rabbits but have rainwater tanks and I'm working on a cage/greenhouse type thing with my spare coop.

JUPITERASC

How To Turn Ocean water aka Salt Water Into Fresh Water
Simple Improvised Distillation
How to distill water using simple and easy to find items.
If you were to actually purchase all the items needed
this project would only cost $2-5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_-wFiFdwAE

Desalination aka "...desalinization..." and "...desalting..."
is the process of removing dissolved salts from water :smile:
thus producing fresh water from seawater or brackish water.
Desalting technologies can be used for many applications.
The most prevalent use is to produce potable water from saline water
for domestic or municipal purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ7bgkFgqJQ

If we don't get the 90% vaxxed population here there will be more lockdowns. I love this level we have now...because I can see my other daughter and my grandson but can avoid everyone else. Very very blessed to be on land, we have 3 steers, a heifer, chickens, sheep and little horses. The horse manure is amazing fertiliser. We might get the heifer pregnant and make her a nurse cow as she's very friendly and lets us handle her. That wont be for a year and a half though but we could milk her as well and make cheese, butter and yogurt. We have had sheep done...the meat fills the freezers. Blessed with eggs so lots of meals of eggs and I'm picking spinach, chard & herbs so far. Its coming into spring so will get some seeds in too. Its a really nice feeling to step outside and pick a meal. I could also get sheep done into dog food later. There are a ton of rabbits but French bulldogs are hopeless hunters. If it got seriously hard to access food we could also eel and get watercress and maybe freshwater cray and fish fry just down the hill. Hope not though. We're going to make more effort with the garden this year. We've had a drought and rabbits but have rainwater tanks and I'm working on a cage/greenhouse type thing with my spare coop.

Blaze

Your experience is invaluable - thanks for sharing.

What would be some general advice for a newbie to farming? I plan on getting some farmland and bringing up goats, chickens, ducks and maybe a cow, but I'm an absolute beginner here.

Blaze

JA, those pics are still there. Remove them, please.

[Pictures removed. - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

JUPITERASC

Stock Market Crash 100% Certain
as $8.2 Trillion China LGFV Debt Worse than $300 Billion Evergrande :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhVFCT6IeHU

Goldman $8.2 Trillion Threat Worse Than China Evergrande
The real worry concerning the China Evergrande default drama
is the inevitable where-there’s-smoke-there’s-fire paranoia
that accompanies debt stumbles.

The most worrisome issue, say analysts at Goldman Sachs
is surging local government debt levels
that President Xi Jinping’s men have done their best to hide.

The default troubles at the globe’s most indebted property development
seem like small embers

compared to the $8.2 trillion worth of local government financing vehicles outstanding.

And that’s just the LGFVs we know of.
The data that Goldman’s Maggie Wei highlights is as of the end of 2020.

Clearly, the tally is higher now—perhaps markedly.
Ten months ago, these shadowy investment schemes had reached 53 trillion yuan
up from 16 trillion yuan, or $2.47 trillion, in 2013.
They now amount to roughly 52% of China’s gross domestic product
topping the official amount of outstanding government debt.
In other words, as scary at the $300 billion Evergrande story might be
Xi’s government has much bigger problems on its hands.
The most acute: keeping GDP this year from falling too far below the 6%
Beijing hoped to produce without adding to the nation’s bubble troubles.
The forces behind local governments sitting on financing-vehicle debt
worth twice the size of Germany’s GDP date back to 2008.
Even before the Lehman Brothers crisis
Communist Party dynamics encouraged municipal borrowing binges.
The way local officials got attention in Beijing
and rose to national prominence
was producing above-average GDP rates.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willia...-worse-than-china-evergrande/?sh=371fb9e015cc

chay

Banned

Your experience is invaluable - thanks for sharing.

What would be some general advice for a newbie to farming? I plan on getting some farmland and bringing up goats, chickens, ducks and maybe a cow, but I'm an absolute beginner here.

Start young! You will never run out of new things you want to try. When buying land check soil quality, try & get land with a natural water source such as a creek, spring or bore water. Start simple & learn as you go. Spend time planning. Look into Permaculture & other sustainable practices...not just because of the world-but because of the ease & natural flow of doing things. Get animals that suit the environment you have. I found it hard to let go of my cows and sheep at first but practicality wins. Your job as a farmer is to remember that everything on this earth is a resource for something else & your responsibility is to give your animals the happiest & healthiest life you can, to make sure they don't suffer & to keep them safe. Some days are hard work, but the challenge is to create a routine that's easy and enjoyable and efficient. Also remember to enjoy your beautiful surroundings & build trust with your animals....its good for both of you. Also- its nicer and easier to train animals to follow you with a food bucket than to chase and harass them. Be with them if they are hurt or sick while they heal...they will know you are there for them. Cull in a humane way with no fear or suffering. Also you ill learn a thousand things about grass, soil & rain lol....Sorry I took so long to reply, I only just saw yours.

Blaze

Start young! You will never run out of new things you want to try. When buying land check soil quality, try & get land with a natural water source such as a creek, spring or bore water. Start simple & learn as you go. Spend time planning. Look into Permaculture & other sustainable practices...not just because of the world-but because of the ease & natural flow of doing things. Get animals that suit the environment you have. I found it hard to let go of my cows and sheep at first but practicality wins. Your job as a farmer is to remember that everything on this earth is a resource for something else & your responsibility is to give your animals the happiest & healthiest life you can, to make sure they don't suffer & to keep them safe. Some days are hard work, but the challenge is to create a routine that's easy and enjoyable and efficient. Also remember to enjoy your beautiful surroundings & build trust with your animals....its good for both of you. Also- its nicer and easier to train animals to follow you with a food bucket than to chase and harass them. Be with them if they are hurt or sick while they heal...they will know you are there for them. Cull in a humane way with no fear or suffering. Also you ill learn a thousand things about grass, soil & rain lol....Sorry I took so long to reply, I only just saw yours.

Great advice, thanks a bunch.

Blaze

ANOTHER DARK WINTER: Broken supply chains. Shortage of goods and services. Inflation. Family: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MojfsrZ9lEM

Its All Crashing Down! Panic Buying Begins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTnxVn9BMYI

If you live in a city, remember to stock up. Astrology aside (sky doesn't look good), there is a shortage coming soon and inflation will make our paper dollars worth less than before.

To observe inflation, pay attention to prices on goods you've brought prior.

Take care of yourself and your tribe, folks.

Last edited:

Oddity

Apparently facebook is also shutting down permaculture and canning groups. Because violent extremists.

We are so f*****

Last edited:

Blaze

Apparently facebook is also shutting down permaculture and canning groups.

We are so f*****

I tried looking for info on that, but couldn't find any atm.

YouTube still has many videos on that stuff though, so no worries of being completely scre;wed.

I'd also recommend anyone to find offline learning sources. Can't beat hands-on experience.

Edit - Oh...violent extremists want to grow their own food and be left alone? ....ok.

Oddity

Yes, completely unreasonable. I got it from another forum where someone's groups on facebook went - poof. We don't want anyone to be prepared, you know...well, except Bill Gates buying loads of farmland and other people like him.

Anxiety makes covid worse? Uhh...I hate to say this, but....

Blaze

Yes, completely unreasonable. I got it from another forum where someone's groups on facebook went - poof. We don't want anyone to be prepared, you know...well, except Bill Gates buying loads of farmland and other people like him.

Anxiety makes covid worse? Uhh...I hate to say this, but....

Bleh. Let's keep that in the peripherals, eyes on the prepping.

It's gonna be a long winter, m8.