Greetings!

Hi all

In the spirit of the new year and new moon, I decided the time was right to learn new things... so I've started to get serious about astrology.

I've always had an interest in astrology, but it didn't really progress any further than reading my horoscope in the paper everyday (and I have to say that I've never really related much to my Cancer sun sign anyway). In the past few months I've become much more interested and have begun making serious attempts at trying to understand my own chart - and I'm not having much luck at getting the information to stick... so that's why I'm here. I'm hoping that I'll be able to learn from you guys and maybe you'll help me get a proper start along my new path.

Anyway, that's me! I look forward to chatting with you.

S

Jesse Booth

If you're still reading this, tell me your birthday(including the year). I'll be able to tell you why cancer doesn't describe you with just a quick glance at an ephemeris.

The sun sign represents your general personality, and is usually a very strong influence. But when a lot of planets are in another sign, this can actually negate a large part of the sun's power. For example, I met an aries last year who didn't match her sun sign at all. I checked the rest of her chart, and she had 3 planets in pisces. I still have that chart laying around somewhere. Just give me a second. Okay. It was her moon, mercury, mars, and jupiter in pisces. The moon isn't actually a planet, but it's simpler just to call it that. It influences emotions, and can sometimes overshadow the sun, especially when in pisces or scorpio. Plus, society conditions women to be more emotional anyway. Then mars was in pisces too. Mars is the ruler of aries, meaning it has a strong connection to the sign. This added to the degree of influence of the planet, as her sun was in aries. Mars rules over energy. That includes your sex drive, work ethic, and how you deal with anger. Finally, jupiter. That is the planet of luck and fortune. Nothing too significant there, but I think it used to be associated with pisces before they discovered neptune. With all this factored in, you can see why her sun would be a bit overpowered.

As your sun is cancer, the position of your moon is especially important. If it were in aquarius, for example, you would be much more emotionally cool.

Last edited:
If you're still reading this, tell me your birthday(including the year). I'll be able to tell you why cancer doesn't describe you with just a quick glance at an ephemeris.

The sun sign represents your general personality, and is usually a very strong influence. But when a lot of planets are in another sign, this can actually negate a large part of the sun's power. For example, I met an aries last year who didn't match her sun sign at all. I checked the rest of her chart, and she had 3 planets in pisces. I still have that chart laying around somewhere. Just give me a second. Okay. It was her moon, mercury, mars, and jupiter in pisces. The moon isn't actually a planet, but it's simpler just to call it that. It influences emotions, and can sometimes overshadow the sun, especially when in pisces or scorpio. Plus, society conditions women to be more emotional anyway. Then mars was in pisces too.

I have my sun, mercury and venus in Cancer in the third house, moon and mars in Aries (mars is in 11th house, moon in 12th) and Taurus is my rising sign but I have no planets in my first house (and empty houses are currently confusing me!). And I thought astrology was easy!

JUPITERASC

Hi all

In the spirit of the new year and new moon, I decided the time was right to learn new things... so I've started to get serious about astrology.

I've always had an interest in astrology, but it didn't really progress any further than reading my horoscope in the paper everyday (and I have to say that I've never really related much to my Cancer sun sign anyway).....
New Moon, New Year, New Beginning - great idea :smile:

As is usual there are inevitably differences of opinion regarding 'Sun Sign Astrology' as popularized by newspapers and online

BUT if you are interested you can discover for yourself whether the idea is workable or not

simply place your own Sun Sign as the First Whole Sign House

and then
place the transiting planets in their respective houses

and then observe if there is any relevance to your own life

An instructive exercise is to experiment with reading magazine horoscopes for the Sign of the natal Moon
AS WELL AS
for the Sign of the natal Ascendant
AND
the Sign of the natal Sun
and then
combining the interpretations

By the way

The SOLAR ASCENDANT CHART method is a 'better than nothing' alternative for those who have no official time of birth

and dr. farr agrees
Actually the Solar Ascendant approach was fairly popular earlier in the 20th century:
ie, take the position of the Sun for the time
(or even just the day)
of birth,
make that the ascending sign,
and fill in the rest of the houses with the signs in order.

I myself, in prior experimenting with this method, had found it to often be surprisingly accurate
-however, not nearly so-
nor as consistently accurate
-as when we have the actual birth time
and erect our charts with the more accurate, more specific ascending degree.
So, when consulting newspaper and online predictions,
read predictions made for your Ascendant
and Moon Sign
as well
as your Sunsign

Because it certainly is interesting that
the use of the SOLAR ASCENDANT CHART so frequently provides accurate delineation
....In the past few months I've become much more interested and have begun making serious attempts at trying to understand my own chart - and I'm not having much luck at getting the information to stick... so that's why I'm here. I'm hoping that I'll be able to learn from you guys and maybe you'll help me get a proper start along my new path.

Anyway, that's me! I look forward to chatting with you.

S
Since ours is predominantly a learning forum Space Cadet
you are likely to receive just as many responses from beginners and newcomers
as from members who have one or two years of experience
and in some cases, members who have one, two, three or four decades of astrological practice completed
Many of our members are self taught

26 June 1973... and thanks, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I think my Aries moon might have something to do with it.
By the way

there are instructions on HOW TO ATTACH A CHART TO YOUR POST ON THE FORUM at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12126

and the READ MY CHART subforum is at http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

New Moon, New Year, New Beginning - great idea :smile:

As is usual there are inevitably differences of opinion regarding 'Sun Sign Astrology' as popularized by newspapers and online

BUT if you are interested you can discover for yourself whether the idea is workable or not

simply place your own Sun Sign as the First Whole Sign House

and then
place the transiting planets in their respective houses

and then observe if there is any relevance to your own life

An instructive exercise is to experiment with reading magazine horoscopes for the Sign of the natal Moon
AS WELL AS
for the Sign of the natal Ascendant
AND
the Sign of the natal Sun
and then
combining the interpretations

By the way

The SOLAR ASCENDANT CHART method is a 'better than nothing' alternative for those who have no official time of birth

and dr. farr agrees

So, when consulting newspaper and online predictions,
read predictions made for your Ascendant
and Moon Sign
as well
as your Sunsign

Because it certainly is interesting that
the use of the SOLAR ASCENDANT CHART so frequently provides accurate delineation

Since ours is predominantly a learning forum Space Cadet
you are likely to receive just as many responses from beginners and newcomers
as from members who have one or two years of experience
and in some cases, members who have one, two, three or four decades of astrological practice completed
Many of our members are self taught

By the way

there are instructions on HOW TO ATTACH A CHART TO YOUR POST ON THE FORUM at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12126

and the READ MY CHART subforum is at http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

Thanks JUPITERASC, I've been lurking for a few months and trying to absorb information (some of your posts have had some great links, so thanks for that!) and decided it was time to bite the bullet and join. I had tried to look at my chart using whole signs but I think I'm a bit too new at this game... and then... more fool me... I started looking at asteroids as well. Not a great idea when you're not sure of the basics. I'm a keen learner but sometimes I run before I can walk and this is a perfect example. I want to know everything right now and I forget that even I have limits!

I do have some specific information that I'm trying to get from my chart so I might upload my chart in the appropriate section and see if any light can be shed. Thanks for your reply.

Jesse Booth

Chances are, the newspaper had nonsensical descriptions of cancer. Also, you are probably a bit impatient for a cancer, and pluto and uranus are in libra, which opposes aries. As for empty houses, that just means that is an area of your life without much positive or negative influences added on.

By the way, after what JUPITERASC said about aquarians, I kinda consider him a rival now.

JUPITERASC

Chances are, the newspaper had nonsensical descriptions of cancer. Also, you are probably a bit impatient for a cancer, and pluto and uranus are in libra, which opposes aries.
As for empty houses, that just means that is an area of your life without much positive or negative influences added on
On the contrary :smile:

The good or bad signified by a house emanates from the ruler of the house. This is the basic rule.

The ruler of the house is giver of the material of the house.
Zoller gives the example of his own chart where he has Combusted Mercury in 11th, ruler of 4th. He comments that this kind of placement brings adversity to ones home and dwellings. Benefit in one area of life can be produced by adversity, or even conflict, in another.... sourced from DELINEATING NATAL CHART thread at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48463
By the way, after what JUPITERASC said about aquarians, I kinda consider him a rival now.
By the way, since Space Cadet may not necessarily be aware of the comment that you refer to,
which I posted earlier on another thread
I shall mention that I assume you refer to my quote on THE AGE OF AQUARIUS thread at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36492&page=3

The description of Aquarius that you object to
was chronicled by working astrologer Vettius Valens almost two thousand years ago
in his book THE ANTHOLOGY
and so your rivalry is with VETTIUS VALENS
THE ANTHOLOGY was translated from Ancient Greek by Professor Riley
and kindly made available by Riley FREE online in pdf form at
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius%20Valens%20entire.pdf

greybeard

Dear Cadet:

Astrology contains 4 fundamental symbol sets:
Signs
Houses
Planets
Aspects

We observe that for all of the history of astrology (and its origins are prehistoric) up until 200 years ago, astrologers did quite well with only 7 planets. For the most part, during most of this history (practice...the application of astrology to real-life problems) they used only 5 aspects. The point is that Simplicity has its virtues.

The human being is probably the most complex thing we can imagine. The strength of astrology lies in its power to describe anything in the universe, including the complex human being, using a mere handful of symbols. Adding to the symbol sets only increases the complexity of "reading" the horoscope. Additions to these symbol sets should be undertaken cautiously, keeping in mind the admonition of William of Occam [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor]. [I will use the simple explanation given by E.O. Wilson in his wonderful book Consilience]: "There is nothing in science more provocative than a cleanly defined and surprising prediction, and nothing held in higher regard than such a prediction confirmed in detail. To this end, scientists look for four qualities in theory generally and mathematical models in particular. The first is parsimony: the fewer the units and processes used to account for the phenomenon, the better." Parsimony is the modern scientific term for Occam's Razor.

A house built upon sand cannot stand. Build your house on rock. Master the fundamentals, build a solid foundation, then build your superstructure.

I am always left speechless when I see someone who cannot effectively "read" a horoscope containing only 7 planets thinking that by adding 3 more planets and 2 boxes full of asteroids they will unravel the mystery.

A solid grasp of the astronomy on which astrology stands will make you a much better astrologer. The great 17th century French astrologer, Jean Baptiste Morin, says that all astrological symbolism is and must be derived from the astronomical facts. It is not random coincidence that the planet Mars, which is actually rusty red in color due to the high iron content of its surface structures, was assigned rulership of iron and the color red by the ancients.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find astrology as fascinating and valuable as many of us here do.

Last edited:

Zarathu

Account Closed
Real astrology needs three things:

1. your exact birth time(something in the morning, or around 2:00 PM) is not good enough.

2. Your day, your month, your year of birth

3. The place where you were born.

Thanks Greybeard, you're very right. I'm trying to add too many elements at once and it becomes overwhelming. I think my learning would be more valuable if I slow it down a bit and focus on the basics first.

Thanks as well, Zarathu. I have an accurate birth time so I've made my charts and will post them.