From a hobby to professional astrologer

HelleG

Hi everybody,

I have studied astrology for 30 years now, always as a hobby. I am now wanting to become a full-time astrologer - transiting Saturn will be conjuncting my Ascendant next year - time to get serious!

I am hoping to connect with other serious astrologers and learning more about what people really need and want from an astrologer.

I noticed that there is no specific forum for Solar Arcs? There is forum for all other categories, but none for Solar Arcs, which are vitally important in predictive work. Perhaps that could be added at some point?

:happy: Helle

wilsontc

Staff member
Welcome! to Helle

Helle,

Welcome to the AW Forum! While there is no specific Forum for Solar Arcs there is a "Lunar/Solar" Forum in the Predictive Astrology Forum where everything other than a Solar or a Lunar Return that is specific to either the Sun or the Moon goes (e.g., eclipses, moon phases, solar arcs).

Welcoming,

Tim

AppLeo

Hi everybody,

I have studied astrology for 30 years now, always as a hobby. I am now wanting to become a full-time astrologer - transiting Saturn will be conjuncting my Ascendant next year - time to get serious!

I am hoping to connect with other serious astrologers and learning more about what people really need and want from an astrologer.

I noticed that there is no specific forum for Solar Arcs? There is forum for all other categories, but none for Solar Arcs, which are vitally important in predictive work. Perhaps that could be added at some point?

You've been doing astrology for 30 years?! :surprised:

Welcome to the forum; maybe you could enlighten me because I've only been studying astrology for 2 years.

HelleG

There are always new and exciting things to learn in astrology. You can study it for the rest of your life and not have learned it all. :smile:

I always encourage people to get into some kind of program and study astrology in a more structured way so they will have a solid foundation (I do have Saturn in Capricorn in the first house) :smile:

AppLeo

There are always new and exciting things to learn in astrology. You can study it for the rest of your life and not have learned it all. :smile:

I always encourage people to get into some kind of program and study astrology in a more structured way so they will have a solid foundation (I do have Saturn in Capricorn in the first house) :smile:

That saturn in first does make sense. Well what programs do you propose?

JUPITERASC

Hi everybody,

I have studied astrology for 30 years now, always as a hobby.
I am now wanting to become a full-time astrologer - transiting Saturn will be conjuncting my Ascendant next year -
time to get serious!

I am hoping to connect with other serious astrologers
and learning more about what people really need and want from an astrologer.

I noticed that there is no specific forum for Solar Arcs?
There is forum for all other categories, but none for Solar Arcs,
which are vitally important in predictive work.
Perhaps that could be added at some point?

Hi Helle welcome :smile:
Ours is an astrological learning forum whose members learn by practice
on charts posted by those interested to hear any opinions

Many of us are complete beginners with only a few days interest in astrology in some cases
others have completed decades of astrological study
and any member may post an astrological opinion regardless of knowledge or experience
hence a formula for lively dialogue

the fact is anyone may self-style as an Astrologer
Astrology is considered as "fairground entertainment" by the General Public

Sine threads that may be of interest:
ASTROLOGY FOR PAY - HOW TO DO IT discussion
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92935

HOW TO GRADUATE FROM ASTROLOGY 101 http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57956

HelleG

Hi AppLeo,

For beginners, I recommend for example Bernadette Brady/AstroLogos in the UK. Bernadette and Darrelyn Gunzberg have a solid program that will make sure all the bases are covered. I have studied a lot with Bernadette, so I know her work in top notch.

There is the AFA - American Federation of Astrologers - they have a good program as does Kepler College. There's the Centre for Psycological Astrology founded by Liz Greene - one of my all-time favorite astrologers. There's the Jeff Green school for Evolutionary Astrology etc.

There is an endless number of schools. If you read The Mountain Astrologers, there are a ton of ads for schools and programs. Going through a structured program ensures that the student has a certain basic level of knowledge. Students should understand elements, modalities, aspect theory etc. before venturing into more specialized areas. It is like going to school and learning to read, write and do basic math before you do anything else.

Once I realized I was serious about astrology, I signed up and got my certificate in astrology from a 3-year program in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Are you serious about becoming an astrologer? Having studied it for a couple of years, you probably are. What does your chart say? Would that be something you would be inclined to do? Do you have transits or solar arcs coming up, suggesting a serious course of study?

Of course not everyone needs a program just like not everyone needs or wants to go to college. But I see it all the time that new astrologer students get bogged down with way too many aspects and exotic asteroids and miss the real "meat and potatoes" of a chart. Keep it simple sweetheart - learn what is at the core of a person and a chart, learn to see the main psychological complexes and beliefs that run a person. And learn the importance of doing predictive work that is actually accurate - learn about transits and solar arcs and progressions.

Saturn is the archetype of mastery and I'd like to see the world full of master astrologers :biggrin:

Astronoodles

Well, hello there HelleG!! 30 years shows definite commitment to what you're doing, and I certainly am glad that you are so serious about astrology. I myself have only been studying for roughly 4 years, and I hope for many more good years of it.

You're correct in saying that there are always new and interesting things to learn. One of the best things about astrology is that it provides ample challenge and stimulation. I begin to think "Alright, I've learned it all!" and then something comes along that blows that thought out of the water. Between houses, aspects, midpoints, house rulers, solar returns, synastry, etc. it feels almost impossible to ever know everything there is to know in astrology. And I love that about it!

Anyway, I am a bit chatty, so I'll cut my spiel short ahaha. But, I welcome you to the forums. There is a wonderful mix of people that you can teach and practice on, as well as very advanced senior members. I am sure you'll find what you're looking for. :)

AppLeo

Hi AppLeo,

For beginners, I recommend for example Bernadette Brady/AstroLogos in the UK. Bernadette and Darrelyn Gunzberg have a solid program that will make sure all the bases are covered. I have studied a lot with Bernadette, so I know her work in top notch.

There is the AFA - American Federation of Astrologers - they have a good program as does Kepler College. There's the Centre for Psycological Astrology founded by Liz Greene - one of my all-time favorite astrologers. There's the Jeff Green school for Evolutionary Astrology etc.

There is an endless number of schools. If you read The Mountain Astrologers, there are a ton of ads for schools and programs. Going through a structured program ensures that the student has a certain basic level of knowledge. Students should understand elements, modalities, aspect theory etc. before venturing into more specialized areas. It is like going to school and learning to read, write and do basic math before you do anything else.

Once I realized I was serious about astrology, I signed up and got my certificate in astrology from a 3-year program in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Are you serious about becoming an astrologer? Having studied it for a couple of years, you probably are. What does your chart say? Would that be something you would be inclined to do? Do you have transits or solar arcs coming up, suggesting a serious course of study?

Of course not everyone needs a program just like not everyone needs or wants to go to college. But I see it all the time that new astrologer students get bogged down with way too many aspects and exotic asteroids and miss the real "meat and potatoes" of a chart. Keep it simple sweetheart - learn what is at the core of a person and a chart, learn to see the main psychological complexes and beliefs that run a person. And learn the importance of doing predictive work that is actually accurate - learn about transits and solar arcs and progressions.

Saturn is the archetype of mastery and I'd like to see the world full of master astrologers :biggrin:

That was such a great post. I loved it and appreciate it.

I had no idea there were so many placed to learn astrology. I don't know if I will go to an astrology school. I'D LOVE TO GO, but my parents would say otherwise. Astrology is still a very difficult career to follow through on and make a decent income.. I may take it in the future when I have established an income.

With Capricorn Rising and Virgo Moon I need the security first before I try anything risky. I have Saturn transiting my 11th house – almost my 12th house.

And to be honest, I don't know what solar arcs are :lol:

HelleG

Hi AppLeo,

I am all for security - I am a medical translator by profession. That pays the bills and satisfies Mercury Neptune on my Scorpio MC. BUT ... they are square my Moon in Leo and being a translator does not make me happy. Astrology does, but it does not pay the bills:tongue: Now there is a fixed square for you!

I'd be happy if I could be 50% astrologer and 50% translator and that is the direction I am now moving in. More charts, more astrology clients.

You can do both - follow your heart AND be practical and make money. Astrology has been an amazing hobby for me - my religion really - the past 30 years. What we love doesn't always have to be a career, although it sure would be nice.

You are very active on this forum it seems and it looks like a good place to learn and grow.

:smile: Helle

HelleG

Hi Astronoodles,

What an excellent name to call yourself! How appropriate for a Gemini Moon :tongue:

Thank you for the welcome - this forum looks to be very active and I am happy to be here

As for always new things to learn - about 10 years I was getting a bit bored with "regular" astrology and then I stumbled across Bernadette Brady and Visual Astrology - astrology using the whole sky, the constellations and the fixed stars in the proper position in the sky - not projected down to the ecliptic. Kind of like how astrology might have been in ancient Mesopotamia and Egypt. I absolutely fell in love with astrology all over again and studied with Bernadette for a couple of years.

As I said to AppLeo - astrology is kind of my religion. It gives me a sense that there is a greater plan behind our seemingly tiny insignificant lives - that there really is some kind of purpose to it all. I have always found that very reassuring. What a blessing it is!

AppLeo

Hi AppLeo,

I am all for security - I am a medical translator by profession. That pays the bills and satisfies Mercury Neptune on my Scorpio MC. BUT ... they are square my Moon in Leo and being a translator does not make me happy. Astrology does, but it does not pay the bills:tongue: Now there is a fixed square for you!

I'd be happy if I could be 50% astrologer and 50% translator and that is the direction I am now moving in. More charts, more astrology clients.

You can do both - follow your heart AND be practical and make money. Astrology has been an amazing hobby for me - my religion really - the past 30 years. What we love doesn't always have to be a career, although it sure would be nice.

You are very active on this forum it seems and it looks like a good place to learn and grow.

Doing 50% astrology and 50% of whatever career is a really good idea!! I'm sure you'll be able to work both astrology and your regular job at the same time too!

And I love this forum; it's the best. I learn so much everyday!! I just barely started learning horary :tongue:

enigmaticstatic

So happy to meet you HelleG. Can't wait to see and read more posts from you. I have been very slowly learning solar arc and midpoints for a while now. It will be nice to learn more about them by being acquainted with someone else that uses this technique.

HelleG

Hi Enigmaticstatic,

Once you start looking for solar arcs and start doing them in your head you will be thinking about them as you fall asleep :smile:

They are so simple, just count the number of degrees between 2 planets - for example planets that were close to each other and you'll start to see that solar arc aspects were activated every time something important happened in your life. Look for planets that are close to the angles or the Sun or Moon. If one of the outer planets or Saturn is close, say 3 degrees from making an exact conjunction, you know that something major happened to that kid at the age of 3. Sometimes the parent will soak up the aspect but the kid of course still feels the effect.

I absolutely love solar arcs. I first learned about them when I was studying with Noel Tyl many years ago and ever since, they have been my top predictive tool along with transits.

Simply pick up a chart you've never seen before and immediately you can tell something profound about the person, just by looking at planets that were close to the angles or Sun Moon at birth.

I hope you find they will enrich your astrology tremendously!

Helle

Cupid Arrow

Hi Enigmaticstatic,

Once you start looking for solar arcs and start doing them in your head you will be thinking about them as you fall asleep :smile:

They are so simple, just count the number of degrees between 2 planets - for example planets that were close to each other and you'll start to see that solar arc aspects were activated every time something important happened in your life. Look for planets that are close to the angles or the Sun or Moon. If one of the outer planets or Saturn is close, say 3 degrees from making an exact conjunction, you know that something major happened to that kid at the age of 3. Sometimes the parent will soak up the aspect but the kid of course still feels the effect.

I absolutely love solar arcs. I first learned about them when I was studying with Noel Tyl many years ago and ever since, they have been my top predictive tool along with transits.

Simply pick up a chart you've never seen before and immediately you can tell something profound about the person, just by looking at planets that were close to the angles or Sun Moon at birth.

I hope you find they will enrich your astrology tremendously!

Helle

Hi there,

Loved your bit on Solar Arcs, Im trying to picture what you said, on the technique that is, hopefully you share more of this. Im new to astrology, few months now but I was really into it as a teen and came back to it.
What is the best program for beginners?