Flying Dreams

SagSun05

Has anyone ever had a flying dream? I had my first experience (remembered, that is) of a flying dream the other night. It wasn't the main theme of the dream, but I remember flying above Tokyo at one point. It was almost like a Super Mario type of experience though lol.

So, share your experiences, one and all. :)

freedomlover

I used to have flying dreams quite often as a young child, but they are pretty rare anymore. They were always very blissful - wish I had more of them now! I've read that they may represent astral travels while we are out of the body while we are sleeping. Personally, I think they represent that our souls are not confined to our physical bodies, and Earthly restrictions. In a higher plane of consciousness, yogis and such have physically been seen levitating - so why couldn't we fly, if we were at that level of consciousness in real life? I think they are a reminder of who we really are.

R4VEN

I used to dream of flying - face-down, arms down by my side, like Peter Pan - a lot until the age of 14 or so. I'd fly around people's back yards - I can remember one dream where I wove over and under my grandmother's washing line, just because I could.

Like freedomlover, I imagine that I was astrally travelling at the time, as children do that quite freely.

As an adult I have frequently dreamed of myself as the pilot flying a small plane under a bridge - where the bridge spans a river - or over and under power lines. These were really scary dreams, as the plane was going so fast, and I was basically white-knuckling it.

hermetic

I had these dreams often when i was a kid and teen, and later they started become more rare. Now it's maybe once a year and I don't fly so high anymore, plus I am struggling with maintaining my height.
I think it has to do with life force, showing you where are you at a certain time.

Vinyasa

I too used to fly often as a kid and later teenager, now unfortunately not that often anymore... But in the last two years I have this new beautiful version: I very often cycle in my dream, and I have managed sometimes to cycle so fast that I actually take off... together with the bike... like this scene from ET :alien::tongue:... after i gain the desired height i don't have to pedal anymore... I just relax and enjoy the flight....

I connect flying dreams in adults to our need to take distance from our current life situation... but it is not just a need to distance oneself and view things under a new perspective (so the dreamer is not merely turning back and running away) - it is this need combined with a subconscious wish to see life/problems from above... to downplay their importance... to play God even for a while... :smile:

R4VEN

I connect flying dreams in adults to our need to take distance from our current life situation... but it is not just a need to distance oneself and view things under a new perspective (so the dreamer is not merely turning back and running away) - it is this need combined with a subconscious wish to see life/problems from above... to downplay their importance... to play God even for a while... :smile:
Yes, Vinyasa, I agree with that. `Getting distance and perspective' is sometimes not possible in daily life, so we have a need to do this in our dream space.

Vagabondgirl

If I sleep too long I remember nearly all my dreams:/ Its a bit creapy!

Last time, one night ago I dreamt I was in a jet plane doing summersaults. It was kind of cool:)

But usually I dream that I just start floating from the ground. I prefer to be on the ground!:biggrin:

Kuntuzangmo

I've always had a very active dream life....flying dreams are a precious element of them. Whenever I become lucid, flying is the first thing I do. For me it's an expression of total freedom....also moving thru objects, breathing underwater, dissolving monsters or threats etc...
There are techniques one can practice to master the art. I'm no master, but it's something I can aspire to.