Domestic Violence aspects in Synastry.

Veronica

Anyone, know based on experience or read about any synastry aspects that could possibly indicate. possible violence between 2 people? I've been trying to look online for information on this & books but I haven't found anything substantial, perhaps someone in here could provide me some insight.

BobZemco

It's the same thing you see in a natal chart. The violent planets are Mars, Saturn, Uranus and Pluto.

Those planets in conjunction, square, semi-square or sesqui-square with other planets can indicate a propensity for violence.

Just off the top of my head aspects with Mars/North Node, Mars/Saturn, Venus/Pluto and Sun/Mars.

It isn't a matter of merely staring at aspects, you have to look at the house, sign, dispositor and dignities.

waybread

Hi Veronica--I confirm you really need to look at the individuals independently before you check out their synastry. A couple with stressful inter-aspects involving Mars or the Heavies isn't going to errupt into domestic violence if both people come from a background where violence was verboten, where alcohol/drugs aren't involved, and one member routinely chooses the "flight" over "fight" option. I think a lot of spouses/partners feel angry enough to smack their SO on occasion, but most of them are civilized enough not to do it.

We could imagine a man's chart with a tough T-square involving Mars, Venus, Pluto, Saturn, and/or Uranus; but then her Venus conjuncts his Pluto, and her Mars conjuncts his Venus. Trouble is, if some domestic squabble emerges, she reactivates his T-square by virtue of her own placements.

This is not to say "It's her fault." It isn't. Nobody provokes another human being enough for assault/battery to be acceptable. Everyone has non-physical ways to deal maturely with anger.

So far as I know, partners in a violent relationship generally both had childhoods where violence was commonplace. Although there are cases of women being physically violent toward their husbands/BFs; the huge majority of cases are the man being violent towards the woman. He was raised to see Dad take it out on Mom; and she was raised to see Mom put up with it. Oftentimes she suffers from low self-esteem [which you can see in a chart] and fears she has nowhere else to go or that she will publicly look like a big failure if she admits being battered.

Another way this can happen is when Dad abandons his children, and a little girl grows up longing for a Mr. Right who will never leave her. Initially she mistakes her BF's jealousy for devotion. Then he expresses his jealousy in physical violence.

Low self-esteem indicators would be Neptune, Saturn, and possibly Pluto stressing out one of the personal planets such as the sun.

If someone had a crummy childhood, look at their 4th house of early childhood conditioning, as well as their parental indicators [moon for Mom, rulers of IC/DC axis] to get a sense of whether they were an abused child. [This includes children who were not physically assaulted but who had to watch Dad hitting Mom.]

Interestingly, the 7th house is not only "the house of marriage", but "the house of open enemies." You might look for action there. If neither person has planets in their 7th house {or in the composite chart] look at what is happening with the planets that rule the signs on their 7th house cusps.

Veronica--also. If this question is more than academic in your case, or the case of someone whose chart you're reading...the best advice is for the woman to leave and if need be, live in a battered women's shelter. Oftentimes the abuser ramps up the assault over time; and she [and children, if any] wind up seriously injured or dead, if she stays with him. Psychological counseling for all is obviously indicated.

Last edited:

Neptune Rising

I agree with Rahu, posting the composite can shed alot of light onto the relationship, as well as the synastry charts.. Also checking progressions and transits to natals could trigger times when violence might be likely. The energies can play out in so many ways.

It doesn't necessarily follow that both partners had violent childhoods.

Also control has a major effect, not necessarily perceiving jealousy as devotion, but more as a manner of controling the other person.

Either way not a good place to be. The abuser rarely changes even though they say they will, and abuse does get worse when they know that the person will forgive them each time. If it the chart of a friend, they need to know they have the support of someome, a friend, people who are there for them so they can feel strong enough to leave. Or seek counsel from a helping institution in the local area, even the police might have contacts that can help. Its easy to tell someone to leave, but the person needs to know they have support from somewhere, there are places to go and get this support..

wilsontc

Staff member
indicators can be in different astrological houses, to Veronica

Veronica,

You asked:
what houses do you see those dynamics play out?

In general, the energy of the chart has to do with the signs, planets, and aspects between the planets. And these planets and aspects can fall in any house in the chart. So "domestic violence" could be turned on the relationship (7th house connection) or on the values of the person (2nd house connection), or on the person themselves (first house connection), or in any of the other different houses in the chart. Each domestic violence chart is different, so there will be different houses that get activated by the domestic violence energy.

In many houses,

Tim

Veronica

Re: indicators can be in different astrological houses, to Veronica

its totally more academic on my part... hehehe but its always good to keep track of aspects in astrology... that could indicate this...

waybread

Thank heavens, Veronica.

Astrology sites do attract people with the serious problems that they ask about.

Neptune Rising

Yes thats a relief to know.

Looking back at my own experience with this, and recently experiencing a friend who was seeing someone who's Sun sign exactly opposite their's. Taurus and Scorpio. I have found times of domestic violence occured for me when Chiron was square to my Sun, while Neptune was conjunct it. Same thing for someone I know, Chiron/Neptune was transiting square to their Sun, while at the same time transiting square to their partner's Sun. For the person that I know, it started with the first pass direct, then retrograde of the Nep/Chiron duo.

Of course, other factors have to be considered. I guess the major planets set the stage, as already mentioned above.

NR

Neptune Rising

I've been studying a chart of two people, finding Jupiter likely has an expansive effect on an already violent potential in their synastry. With person A Pluto opposition Mars/Venus, the person B Pluto/Venus/North Node conjunct 'A' Pluto, with 'B' Jupiter t-squaring those oppositions..

So many different scenarios that can lead to the same thing..

Veronica

A abuser will never change unless he acknowledges his abusive pathological behavior, but if the abused keeps forgiving he might never acknowledge that. It takes someone with a lot of self evolvement to accept their behavior and try to change it.

Veronica

no I was searching on the net, reading on relationship synastries, you know Chris Brown and Rihanna, OJ Simpson etc... And It made me wonder, There are a lot of books out there that talk about sex and love but no author has really written one about synastry and abusive, obssesive, relationships.

Veronica

Thank heavens, Veronica.

Astrology sites do attract people with the serious problems that they ask about.

no I was searching on the net, reading on relationship synastries, you know Chris Brown and Rihanna, OJ Simpson etc... And It made me wonder, There are a lot of books out there that talk about sex and love but no author has really written one about synastry and abusive, obssesive, relationships.

Veronica

I agree with Rahu, posting the composite can shed alot of light onto the relationship, as well as the synastry charts.. Also checking progressions and transits to natals could trigger times when violence might be likely. The energies can play out in so many ways.

It doesn't necessarily follow that both partners had violent childhoods.

Also control has a major effect, not necessarily perceiving jealousy as devotion, but more as a manner of controling the other person.

Either way not a good place to be. The abuser rarely changes even though they say they will, and abuse does get worse when they know that the person will forgive them each time. If it the chart of a friend, they need to know they have the support of someome, a friend, people who are there for them so they can feel strong enough to leave. Or seek counsel from a helping institution in the local area, even the police might have contacts that can help. Its easy to tell someone to leave, but the person needs to know they have support from somewhere, there are places to go and get this support..

A abuser will never change unless he acknowledges his abusive pathological behavior, but if the abused keeps forgiving he might never acknowledge that. It takes someone with a lot of self evolvement to accept their behavior and try to change it.

Neptune Rising

I wonder if this aspect can ever have an enduring relationship. Does anyone have any examples of long term relationships where mars/pluto is involved in synastry?

Which houses are involved in your friend's Mars/Pluto oppositions? That in itself wouldn't necessarily indicate death to spouses, friends... very curious about what would cause that.

For myself, I've had Mars/Pluto square in a synastry twice, my Mars square their Plutos, they were about the same age, different guys. They both had a tendancy to really wind me up, so I expressed my anger towards them. Not very nice to be in so I ended those.

NR

Veronica

I notice that your refer to an abuser in the masculine sense, which I believe is a mistake. I am a lesbian and have been analyzing inter-aspects between lesbian charts and one that particularly interests me is a female who has a close mars/pluto opposition in her natal chart. She continually attracts this very plutonian aspects (moon oppose pluto; venus oppose pluto and mars oppose pluto). All of her intimate relationships have been very emotionally abusive, obsessive and physically violent. In three of her close friendships where there was a mars/pluto opposition theme, the other party has committed suicide. There is just a string of death around her. I wonder if this aspect can ever have an enduring relationship. Does anyone have any examples of long term relationships where mars/pluto is involved in synastry?

I guess, you are right I did had in mind male abusers regarding Domestic Violence, since most cases that are brought up to the authorities are usually females being assaulted by their male significant other. But it does go both ways. Just wasn't thinking about same sex relationships or women - to male physical abuse . Personally mars-pluto aspects in synastry based on my experience although they stir up sexual tension they also bring animosity on the long term if other hard aspects with pluto are involved, I don't think it has to result in violence in every case, but the very least it does bring some antogonism on the longterm. :( Bitter kind.

Rosie7

Which houses are involved in your friend's Mars/Pluto oppositions? That in itself wouldn't necessarily indicate death to spouses, friends... very curious about what would cause that.

NR

She has a 12th house Aries mars (6 degrees) and 6th house Libra pluto (9 degrees). Knowing this person for over 15 years, I would comment that she does seem to exhibit very little personal insight. Having said that...

I would like to start a discussion group open to individuals who have a natal mars / pluto opposition, or square, and hearing how they experience that aspect, as well as, whether they attract relationships with that aspect present. We've all read the theoretical applications but I'm more interested in people's personal accounts. Hopefully, this will dissuade those who pontificate from overpowering the discussion and instead, step away and allow others to share, as they please.

Anyone?

waybread

I notice that your refer to an abuser in the masculine sense, which I believe is a mistake. I am a lesbian and have been analyzing inter-aspects between lesbian charts and one that particularly interests me is a female who has a close mars/pluto opposition in her natal chart. She continually attracts this very plutonian aspects (moon oppose pluto; venus oppose pluto and mars oppose pluto). All of her intimate relationships have been very emotionally abusive, obsessive and physically violent. In three of her close friendships where there was a mars/pluto opposition theme, the other party has committed suicide. There is just a string of death around her. I wonder if this aspect can ever have an enduring relationship. Does anyone have any examples of long term relationships where mars/pluto is involved in synastry?

My husband's Mars opposes my Pluto. It is a recipe for tense power relations. We have had some major arguments that crossed the threshold into "horrible" and "unaccaptable"; but nothing as bad as what you describe. I suspect the abused person has to have something else going on in her chart suggesting sufficiently low self-esteem that she would put up with it--or worse yet, feel she deserves it.

If the woman you speak of has had 3 relationships where someone commited suicide, it's not homicide, is it? Is she in therapy?

juulblood

I was in an abusive relationship so I will share some aspects we had. He was always constantly belittling me, name calling, crazy obsessive and jealous, and raised his hands at me. I will put my planets on the left and his on the right.
Pluto square Moon
Pluto opposite Mars (he had moon square mars in his natal chart)
Ascendant conjunct Pluto
Mars conjunct Pluto
Moon square Venus
Nessus square Venus
Mars inconjunct Mars
Mercury opposite Mercury
Moon square Mercury
Moon opposite Uranus
Sun square Uranus
Chiron square Moon
His mars and rising in my 8H

We also had a lot of harsh NN aspects between venus, Pluto, and saturn.