Do you have a 12th house moon?

As I've posted before on other threads, I do have a 12th house moon. I think my mom was in a lot of emotional pain when she was pregnant with me, and when I was tiny. In general she was not a healthy role model for as in someone who is self-aware and self-honest and growing emotionally. She was really depressed, and just emotionally felt remote and angry, gave me the impression that life is all about suffering. You could say that both my parents were very preoccupied with themselves, and were not capable of raising chidren who were ready to meet the world emotionally. Most of my growing up, I did after I left her house...

At it's worst, i think it can feel like that tarot card, where there is somebody on a stoop of a house and the wind is raging all around them and they are cold and hungry, and the door is closed on them.

At it's best, it is a compassionate moon that has been through the worst of the worst so is very capable of learning to provide all the nurturing for itself that it was denied.

-I must add for clarity that my moon is further afflicted by being tightly conjunct saturn, so that may have deepened my suffering, and also deepened my ability to work on these issues psychologically.

Last edited:

lilithofeden

Interesting thanks for sharing that. The only good aspect to my sons moon is a trine with Saturn. Rest of it is oppositions to Mars, Mercury and a square to Jupiter...

Horus

Share your stories about having a 12th house moon including the relationship with your mother.

I have a 12th house Moon in Sagittarius sextile Uranus and Mars in Libra.

Now it trines my mother's Moon in Leo but that helped us not at all because Moons are Yin and so it's a bit like comparing wall sockets! She and I fought tooth and nail while I was growing up, but this is not because my Moon was in the 12th, but because it squared her Sun in Virgo and her Leo Moon squared my Scorpio Sun, so we were both quite antipathetic toward what the other was trying to do. To make matters worse, she has zero planets or angles in water so it was quite difficult for her to be empathetic with anyone -especially her watery, emotional kid!

Now as for my house placement, as Steven Forrest wrote in the Inner Sky, a personal planet or Luminary in the 12th house can give the native all kinds of problems (small wonder it's called the House of Troubles) and possibly blur the ego function, give ADD-like symptoms, cause subconscious self-sabotage (it's also known as the House of Self-Undoing) and so internal work like hypnotherapy is very valuable and regular (like daily) meditation helps the planet to navigate this house successfully to restore clarity, gain spiritual insights, open psychic abilities, etc.

Interesting thanks for sharing that. The only good aspect to my sons moon is a trine with Saturn. Rest of it is oppositions to Mars, Mercury and a square to Jupiter...

I think the trine to saturn he has is good, although there is conflicting information on that. Strangely enough, my brother has a 12th house moon, too. Same sign, leo, and his is trine saturn. He gets along well with our mom, and has always respected her work ethic (which has been a very admirable thing about her). I just have our experience to go on, and what I've read...also, a friend of mine has a 12th house moon, she has problems with anxiety, but she is a very wonderful person, totally lovable and sweet, very loving. It's very strange to see your childrens' charts and try to make sense of it (them) in respect to your own parenting, but I'm sure there are plenty of 12th house mooners who have had great childhoods...just something in their psyche is yearning for that which is unearthy, very hard to put a finger on. Or he may be just a bit shy and dreamy...

lilithofeden

Yes asking about the moon in 12th if very vague and general.. I just recieved Planets in Composite buy Robert Hand and Planets in Synastry by Neville and I haven't yet gone through them with our charts but I've always been worried about my boy.. I want us to have a good relationship but so far it doesn't look too good! But I still need to look into it :)

Thanks for your responses

fushiafairy

I have a moon in leo in the 12th. It is an interesting combo to say the least. Imagine the sun, under water, below mist.
It is sextile pluto and trine neptune. I have been very intuitive with many psychic experiences my entire life. My dreams have always been more than just dreams.
My moon squares mars(in taurus). Stubborn. I have been known to get hotheaded at times, but have mellowed out tremendously here in my mid 30s.

As with any person, there are several things to take into consideration when looking at your relationship with them.

As far as my mother goes, we are very close and have been for the most part. We definately had our ups and downs growing up.
We have some major similarities in our chart. Our virgo venuses are conjunct(with hers conjunct my ascendant). We both have saturn conjunct sun in cancer. Her sun is exact with my saturn and her saturn is conjunct my saturn. Her neptune is exact with my pluto with my moon sextiling her neptune.
WE are both very maternal, very spiritual, compassionate and forgiving which has forged a deep bond between us.

I don't know her exact time of birth, but I am pretty positive she has 12th house planets.

my leo moon conjuncts her leo pluto and is opposite her Aquarius moon though.
She was stressed when I was little, but I don't remember it. I remember many wonderful years. Then things went bad. I became very ill but was not properly taken care of. They cared for me, but finding out what was wrong was not a priority. I was very angry with life for many reasons and my mom bore the brunt of that in the family.
She is also very religious and couldn't fathom why I did things I did. Even now she still guilt trips me and has tried to make me feel like a bad person for doing things(how could you type stuff).
Overall, she just didn't always know what to do with me.

But we are very close still. I wouldn't trade her for anyone else. I made the conscious decision at 18 to say to her....I don't ever want to lie to you, so if you can't handle the truth, don't ask.

Personally, I love my 12th house moon. Being a cancer sun, the moon is my favorite, then neptune. So it fits me. Now if I can just get that leo energy out more somehow. I would like to play music publicly, but am so darn shy.

I also agree with Horus....self undoing.

StillOne

I'm pretty new to this but have been contemplating the placement a bit so figured I'd throw in my initial assessment. I have Moon in Gemini in the 12th. I never really understood or even acknowledged my emotions until pretty recently; last 5-6 years or so and I'm in my late 30's now. I have a pretty erratic chart and to just isolate my Moon is pretty difficult for me... at least at this juncture.

The placement of my Moon, I think, conflicted with my Cancer Ascendant to make things pretty confusing for me. I never really thought I was very emotional when in fact I'm very sensitive and emotional. Having all the quincunx aspects in my chart doesn't help and specifically one between my Moon and Mercury in Scorpio I think only added to the confusion. So, yes, confusion is in my chart... I think with all my quincunx aspects I tended to go to the most comfortable place with those energies. I'm glad I've been able to realize that moon placement because now I understand my difficult emotional nature to some degree... after all, it's still in the 12th and very difficult to grasp. Astrology really has helped me tremendously in terms of getting a grip on my psychology.

My relationship to my mother was always very good. However, we didn't talk very deeply when I was younger. Probably due to my lack of understanding of how I felt which I think is a function of Moon in Gemini... feel through thinking. I also have Rx Mars as a Singleton so I tend to repress. There is a weird aspect I haven't really looked into between my Rx Mars and Moon... It's a semisquare. That probably has some odd connection in between those 2 planets. Ugh, there's a lot for me to learn still.

However, I must say my Mom has always been great and our connection has only deepened as I've grown.

bubuza_dulce

I have a 12th house Moon in Pisces, intercepted. It's the most aspected planet. Talking about fame, I never wanted it, I want just to hide "in the shadows" forever if possible, where nobody can see me and so cannot harm me.
Talking family, my father died when I was almost four and my mother raised me and my younger sister alone. In my childhood I saw her as a very strong person, aggressive, not at all feeble or in suffering as this placement says.(She must have suffered,anyway). But she rejected me very often, she pushed me when I wanted to hug her, beat me with or without reason, punished me whenever the occasion presented (Moon is opposing Saturn). I suffered the most because I didn't understand why, it just wasn't fair. So my grandmother (who hid me from her in order not to get beaten, for example she hid me under a table and told my mother I was gone - I was invisible in the 12th house;)!) told me - because she's crazy! So with that in mind I relaxed - she wasn't doing all these because she didn't love me but because she had a problem! So I had found the explanation. She has Sag Sun/Scorpio Moon, stellium in Scorpio. In the present my mother studies astrology and other esoteric sciences (she helped me with a lot of books) but she told me she cannot heal her illnesses because those authors ask her about her feelings and she doesn't know what she feels! So that's how she was able to do all the things she has done to me. She didn't feel a thing! She lacks empathy a lot, cannot tell what somebody thinks or feels and in the past years she experimented depression because her anger issues and problems with (male) authorithy and the economic crisis made her unemployed. Also she lives alone because my sister left the country and I live in another town and one of the reasons this happened is because living with her was very difficult. She told us years ago she wants to live alone because she cannot stand anybody for too long but now she feels sorry. I want to help her and we talk for hours on the phone but she just doesn't change. We talk as honestly as possible about self-changing and when I asked her why she acted like that in my childhood she said: "because I didn't love you!!! At times I couldn't stand you and sometimes I was jealous and that's why I told you bad things about everything you did! Because you did it so much better than me!" It wasn't as hard as I imagined to hear from her what I feared for years- that she didn't love me. I was a "little" shocked to hear this and other things (very Sag-like her bluntness!) but that's all she has. And at least she's honest. I fell in love with people who didn't love me all my life. I don't know if it's over. (I have NN in Leo which is about giving love without expecting it in return). What I can say about it is after you look at it it's not so bad. So somebody doesn't love me, so what??:lol:So that somebody is my own mother who was my only parent, so?? I saw that love is something that cannot be imposed on people, no matter who they are. She didn't choose not to love me as I didn't choose to love her.I began to respect others' freedom not to love me and I felt free when I understood there's no guilt in not loving somebody.I suppose there's some hurt there somewhere but there were so many after that I cannot tell which is which. I try to make the best of it and I hope she'll heal herself one day and so will I.

Attachments

• astro_2at_01_bubuza_dulce.85107.14082.gif
    astro_2at_01_bubuza_dulce.85107.14082.gif
    58.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

bubuza_dulce

And I read about this placement that it's like the roles are inverted - the child is the mother and the mother is the child. My sister told me - we don't have a mother! We're two children raising a child! I didn't feel quite like this, I preffered to consider not that she's neglecting me but that she's giving me freedom and I enjoyed that and I learned some things on my own.I considered myself privileged to other children, because she had no idea sometimes where I was or what I was doing and some grown-ups told me she should do more for me but I replied she just acts like that because she trusts me!:lol:(I asked her about that recently and she told me she was just busy, she had no idea she should keep track of where her children are.Nobody told her!:andy:)

StillOne

Wow Bubuza_Dulce, I feel for you after reading that recount of your troubled past. I hope that you are finding some resolution to all that. You certainly have a lot of aspects to your Moon...

lilithofeden

Wow! Thank you so much for answering. My son has a 12th house Gemini moon like you StillOne with Cancer AC (obviously lol) I get the feeling that communication will be hard between us, but he'll act out his words so to speak. The saying "Actions speak louder than words" will be the theme with him.

He has a semisquare with the moon and Venus. It's considered a minor aspect, not that strong.. may make him feel unloved by me or ignored or something like that. Or that we don't have the same interests.

I'm hoping that thw trine with Saturn will help things out here. Our composite chart has a moon trine Saturn too, but there are a lot of squares. eek

StillOne

Wow! Thank you so much for answering. My son has a 12th house Gemini moon like you StillOne with Cancer AC (obviously lol) I get the feeling that communication will be hard between us, but he'll act out his words so to speak. The saying "Actions speak louder than words" will be the theme with him.

He has a semisquare with the moon and Venus. It's considered a minor aspect, not that strong.. may make him feel unloved by me or ignored or something like that. Or that we don't have the same interests.

I'm hoping that thw trine with Saturn will help things out here. Our composite chart has a moon trine Saturn too, but there are a lot of squares. eek

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

I'd also like to say that my Sun is conjunct Uranus which makes me pretty rebellious/independent. So, as a kid (and now) I did my own thing. I think it was difficult for anyone to control me (as is true now). So, my mom was great in giving me the freedom to do what I needed to do and she gave me space. However, she was there when/if I needed her.

Interesting to note is that my mother is a Scorpio Sun as well. I don't know her birth time so I don't know the rest of her chart but I'm pretty sure we have a lot of beneficial aspects.

bubuza_dulce

Wow Bubuza_Dulce, I feel for you after reading that recount of your troubled past. I hope that you are finding some resolution to all that. You certainly have a lot of aspects to your Moon...
Thanks, StillOne. Actually the childhood issues are left behind a long time ago. I remembered them because of the thread. I don't think about it at all. I suppose it's unconscious what it's left.

jill

I have a 12th house Moon & Venus conjunction.
Both square Neptune and they inconjunct a retrograde Mars in cancer in the 5th and my Descendant/7th house.

My relationship with my mom is ok.
In two earlier threads of mine I asked the question, "Is my dad my real father?"
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37137

Then I asked a horary question "Was my mother having an affair when I was conceived?"
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37113
The answer was yes. My mother, still to this day, denies this.

I have read that planets in the 12th house are what our parents 'took' from us or denied us when we were young. I don't know how valid this is, but it does seem to fit my present situation. I have problems getting close to people and with giving/receiving affection.
It's not that I don't feel these energies - I just have a hard time expressing them. This is usually seen by others as being cold or insensitive - when in reality it's the reversed. I feel things very strongly, I just keep it hidden. jill

Attachments

• jill's natal - Whole Signs.jpg
    jill's natal - Whole Signs.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 45
  • jill's natal Placidus.jpg
    jill's natal Placidus.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

bubuza_dulce

You seem very talented to me , with a Grand Trine and a Kite. And you have also Chiron in the 12th, it looks like there is a need for healing there.

StillOne

I have read that planets in the 12th house are what our parents 'took' from us or denied us when we were young. I don't know how valid this is, but it does seem to fit my present situation. I have problems getting close to people and with giving/receiving affection.
It's not that I don't feel these energies - I just have a hard time expressing them. This is usually seen by others as being cold or insensitive - when in reality it's the reversed. I feel things very strongly, I just keep it hidden. jill

Well, now that I think about it a little more I think that this applies to me as well. However, it wasn't due to my mother denying anything purposefully. Since she divorced my father when I was so young I had to be cared for while she went to work. So, yes, in a sense, I was being denied emotion early on...

StillOne

You seem very talented to me , with a Grand Trine and a Kite. And you have also Chiron in the 12th, it looks like there is a need for healing there.

I'm not sure some astrologers would agree since the configurations you pointed out are a result of aspects to Hades and the Ascendant. I think, typically, that aspect patterns only deal with planets... Interesting nevertheless.

jill

I feel that all planets in the 12th can be used for good once we understand their purpose. It's hard to have compassion towards others less fortunate unless we have suffered the same pain within ourselves.

My 12th house has given me tremendous compassion towards others, whether they are being bullied, abused or escaping reality with drugs or alcohol. It has also given me insight into the psycological workings of human nature that I wouldn't have if I didn't have them there.
I don't judge them for what they are - but think about what happened to them in the past that made them turn out this way.
No child says - 'When I grow up I'm going to kill people, do drugs, or go to prison'. Things happen.

And even though I will not stand up for myself in alot of situations - I have no problem standing up for others.
If I see someone being treated unfairly I will usually step in and say something
- but if it happens to me, I usually take it, and move on.

Last edited:

bubuza_dulce

I'm not sure some astrologers would agree since the configurations you pointed out are a result of aspects to Hades and the Ascendant. I think, typically, that aspect patterns only deal with planets... Interesting nevertheless.
Wow, I didn't look close enough!:w00t: Yes, it seems right.