Do I have a splay or splash chart?

AppLeo

I feel like my chart is a splash and splay chart combined... help
My Chart.jpg

GemwDepth

Account Closed
"
Splay Chart
Another type of chart is a splay chart where there are three groups of planets in different signs distributed equally around the chart. This would indicate a person who is good at many different things and does not like to be tied down to a routine. The planets would make 60 degree angles to each other which are called trines and are easy, flowing aspects. If the groups of planets made aspects with not just one other group but two groups then there would be a pattern called a grand trine which indicates a very talented individual with a wide range of abilities that they are able to integrate well.
"

You only have 2 instances of 2 planets conjunct in a house. I say Splash.

Spray is focused around grand trine themes http://myastrologybook.com/tripod-splay-planetary-pattern-astrology.htm

Why do you ask though?

Last edited:

AppLeo

"Splay Chart
Another type of chart is a splay chart where there are three groups of planets in different signs distributed equally around the chart. This would indicate a person who is good at many different things and does not like to be tied down to a routine. The planets would make 60 degree angles to each other which are called trines and are easy, flowing aspects. If the groups of planets made aspects with not just one other group but two groups then there would be a pattern called a grand trine which indicates a very talented individual with a wide range of abilities that they are able to integrate well."

Why do you ask though?

I ask cuz wanna know what kind of chart I have.

AppLeo

Oh I thought you were curious about your personality / interest pattern and couldn't decide between the two.

Well obviously, that's why i asked.

If chart patterns didn't mean anything then I wouldn't have cared.

I agree with the splash explanation more, but I wasn't sure if I actually had a splash chart so I needed a confirmation

greybeard

You have a Seesaw.

The splay is based on a tripod arrangement. Three groups. This is not the case here.

The Splash asks for an even distribution around the earth.

The distribution here has two groups, widely divided (more than a sextile) east against west. Sun in west opposes two planets in east, both positions central to their respective groups. Seesaw is fundmentally an opposition pattern.

If you want to understand patterns go to the originator, Marc Edmund Jones, "The Essentials of Astrological Analysis". Why is your reference to derivative authors who get things all distorted?

If one were to classify this chart a Splash...well, I wouldn't agree but I wouldn't argue; the separation Venus-Saturn is only 64 degrees. But there are 4 empty signs and 5 empty houses, with 3 conjunctions in the chart disrupting the dissemination typical of the Splash.

Venus lacks only 6 degrees of fulfilling the 70-degree separation requirement for a Seesaw and the conjunction with Mars/Dsc "pulls her" into the 3rd quadrant group. The 2nd quadrant is virtually empty, giving a distinct separation by houses. Except for Pluto all planets of the eastern group are 1st quadrant, so we have a very clear quadrant opposition.

The opposition Sun-Uranus offers even more support for a Seesaw classification: Sun disposes all planets in the chart except for the Aquarius conjunction. The opposition Sun-Uranus (Leo-Aquarius, 1st-7th) therefore becomes key in the interpretation.

Apart from pattern per se, we find the dominant Sun very poorly conditioned. He is in domicile and angular, so he is powerful. But...he is in the house opposite his joy -- and he rules the 8th, a house of misfortune. His strength will more likely than not display the more negative side of Leo-Sun.

Additionally, Mars is squarely on the Dsc (woe is me), in his fall. This reemphasizes the main theme of the pattern itself, the 1st-7th opposition.

Last edited:

AppLeo

You have a Seesaw.

The splay is based on a tripod arrangement. Three groups. This is not the case here.

The Splash asks for an even distribution around the earth.

The distribution here has two groups, widely divided (more than a sextile) east against west. Sun in west opposes two planets in east, both positions central to their respective groups. Seesaw is fundmentally an opposition pattern.

If you want to understand patterns go to the originator, Marc Edmund Jones, "The Essentials of Astrological Analysis". Why is your reference to derivative authors who get things all distorted?

If one were to classify this chart a Splash...well, I wouldn't agree but I wouldn't argue; the separation Venus-Saturn is only 64 degrees. But there are 4 empty signs and 5 empty houses, with 3 conjunctions in the chart disrupting the dissemination typical of the Splash.

Venus lacks only 6 degrees of fulfilling the 70-degree separation requirement for a Seesaw and the conjunction with Mars/Dsc "pulls her" into the 3rd quadrant group. The 2nd quadrant is virtually empty, giving a distinct separation by houses. Except for Pluto all planets of the eastern group are 1st quadrant, so we have a very clear quadrant opposition.

The opposition Sun-Uranus offers even more support for a Seesaw classification: Sun disposes all planets in the chart except for the Aquarius conjunction. The opposition Sun-Uranus (Leo-Aquarius, 1st-7th) therefore becomes key in the interpretation.

Apart from pattern per se, we find the dominant Sun very poorly conditioned. He is in domicile and angular, so he is powerful. But...he is in the house opposite his joy -- and he rules the 8th, a house of misfortune. His strength will more likely than not display the more negative side of Leo-Sun.

Additionally, Mars is squarely on the Dsc (woe is me), in his fall. This reemphasizes the main theme of the pattern itself, the 1st-7th opposition.

Wow that really made everything crystal clear. Thank you.

What about my Sun-Neptune.. isn’t that a tighter aspect, so it’s more strong?

greybeard

Wow that really made everything crystal clear. Thank you.

What about my Sun-Neptune.. isn’t that a tighter aspect, so it’s more strong?

Yes, but Uranus rules Neptune. Obviously the much tighter cponjunction will operate more powerfully. But in this preliminary stage of chart analysis I am interested in the rulership conflict.

By careful structural analysis of a chart pattern we have identified the psychological pattern as well the main thrust of the chart, allowing for an interpretation that is authoritative, pertinent and holistic.

greybeard

"
Splay Chart
Another type of chart is a splay chart where there are three groups of planets in different signs distributed equally around the chart. This would indicate a person who is good at many different things and does not like to be tied down to a routine. The planets would make 60 degree angles to each other which are called trines and are easy, flowing aspects. If the groups of planets made aspects with not just one other group but two groups then there would be a pattern called a grand trine which indicates a very talented individual with a wide range of abilities that they are able to integrate well.
"

Spray is focused around grand trine themes http://myastrologybook.com/tripod-splay-planetary-pattern-astrology.htm

Why do you ask though?

trines are 120 degree angles, not 60. There are 360 degrees in a circle. And the description of the meaning of the Splay that you give (from an online coffee-table book) is not accurate or very helpful; it lacks depth. Besides, the Splay is the most individualized chart pattern and its meaning must be gleaned carefully.

GemwDepth

Account Closed
trines are 120 degree angles, not 60. There are 360 degrees in a circle. And the description of the meaning of the Splay that you give (from an online coffee-table book) is not accurate or very helpful; it lacks depth. Besides, the Splay is the most individualized chart pattern and its meaning must be gleaned carefully.

Yes you are correct, the copy/pasted text was wrong on the numbers, should be 120 degree for trines and no more than 65 degrees spread of any of the three groups.

On a practical note, I've really only seen buckets/bowl, see saws, bundle/wedge, and T-squares as the most common and identifying of personality characteristics and energy patterns.

They do say some charts have no planetary pattern at all. And when one get to something like locomotive, splash and try to make every real life chart fit those "text book patterns" its a lot less compelling at this point and seem to go into an abyss.... I wonder if it even matters at this point to fit a textbook. To me outside of the above patterns, it just means one's energy is not concentrated or utilized towards a defined purpose in life.

On the rare patterns, I've never seen a true splay chart, and the grand square is rare but always manifests, so easily interpreted.

Last edited:

greybeard

Yes you are correct, the copy/pasted text was wrong on the numbers, should be 120 degree for trines and no more than 65 degrees spread of any of the three groups.

On a practical note, I've really only seen buckets/bowl, see saws, bundle/wedge, and T-squares as the most common and identifying of personality characteristics and energy patterns.

They do say some charts have no planetary pattern at all. And when one get to something like locomotive, splash and try to make every real life chart fit those "text book patterns" its a lot less compelling at this point and seem to go into an abyss.... I wonder if it even matters at this point to fit a textbook. To me outside of the above patterns, it just means one's energy is not concentrated or utilized towards a defined purpose in life.

On the rare patterns, I've never seen a true splay chart, and the grand square is rare but always manifests, so easily interpreted.

I have a challenge for you...

Go to Natal...Aspects & Configurations..."Singleton Planets" and tell me how you type that chart for pattern.

The young lady whose chart that is does not wish to carry the conversation further. Out of respect for her, I suggest we do no interpretation, but we can discuss the structure of the chart without violating her wishes.

Last edited:

AppLeo

Yes, but Uranus rules Neptune. Obviously the much tighter cponjunction will operate more powerfully. But in this preliminary stage of chart analysis I am interested in the rulership conflict.

By careful structural analysis of a chart pattern we have identified the psychological pattern as well the main thrust of the chart, allowing for an interpretation that is authoritative, pertinent and holistic.

But isn’t Uranus opposite Sun too wide of an orb?

GemwDepth

Account Closed

Go to Natal...Aspects & Configurations..."Singleton Planets" and tell me how you type that chart for pattern.

The young lady whose chart that is does not wish to carry the conversation further. Out of respect for her, I suggest we do no interpretation, but we can discuss the structure of the chart without violating her wishes.

Challenge accepted. :wink:

p.s. I hope its not one of those charts with no birth time and a million asteroids and aspects clogging up the entire view.

GemwDepth

Account Closed

I am looking at the chart Turkishgirl posted.

The very first thing I see is a T square. (http://myastrologybook.com/T-square-planetary-pattern-astrology.htm) The pattern “consists of three or more planets at three of the four vertices of an imaginary square.”

But if you look at it by hemisphere you have the moon in the top hemisphere and all 9 other planets on the bottom. This is unusual. Let’s not discuss the concentration of planets in the 5th/6th house yet—this is someone who’s life is very much introverted (meaning non-public here). Almost all the energy the native expends are in their personal domains.

This could be a bowl or a bucket. So lets look closer at the rules for both.

“A Bucket Planetary Pattern consists of all the planets except one within a 180° semicircle.” http://myastrologybook.com/Bucket-planetary-pattern-astrology.htm
“The Bowl Planetary Pattern is a chart in which all ten planets are within approximately 180° of each other, or within half of the zodiacal circle.” http://myastrologybook.com/Bowl-planetary-pattern-astrology.htm

This one is disqualified from being a strict Bowl by about 5-6 degrees, yet the sample chart given isn’t exactly 180 degrees, so “approximate” applies. This can indeed be a bowl pattern, but most bowl have planets more wide spread in that 180 degree.

You still need to pay attention to all that concentration of planets. Jupiter at 13 Scorpio to Saturn at 29 aqua is about 107 degrees. http://myastrologybook.com/fan-kite-planetary-pattern-astrology.htm

This is a fan. The moon deserves most special attention in the chart.

I suppose when one is so familiar with the “pattern rules” one can glance at a chart in an instant and recognize what it portends for that individual’s general life pattern. So adding another tool / technique to the toolbox.