Difference in opinion about allowable orbs

RuledbySaturn

I know different astrologers have different allowable orbs they use, and I am aware that the tighter the orb, the greater influence.

However, my question is, what if one astrologer says you have a certain adverse aspect yet other astrologers don't take that into consideration because the orb is too large according to the system they use, what is one to do with this conflicting information?

In other words, can I safely ignore this aspect since most astrologers (as well as most free birth charts I got online) don't even show this aspect? Or should I tell myself "This aspect may affect you sometimes, but its influence is slight and won't make much of a difference in your life..."? Or other things?

What is one to do with an aspect that has a large orb that's borderline allowable?

katydid

I know different astrologers have different allowable orbs they use, and I am aware that the tighter the orb, the greater influence.

However, my question is, what if one astrologer says you have a certain adverse aspect yet other astrologers don't take that into consideration because the orb is too large according to the system they use, what is one to do with this conflicting information?

In other words, can I safely ignore this aspect since most astrologers (as well as most free birth charts I got online) don't even show this aspect? Or should I tell myself "This aspect may affect you sometimes, but its influence is slight and won't make much of a difference in your life..."? Or other things?

What is one to do with an aspect that has a large orb that's borderline allowable?

Look at the aspect, look at the comparable area in your life, and decide for yourself if it is operable.

If you are doing a quick reading for someone, looking at the most exact aspects are safer. You know they will hit. But in reality, wide orbed aspects also work and have influence in peoples lives.

I have a conjunction between Neptune @ 22 Libra, and the Sun @ 0 Scorpio. That is an 8 degree orb. But for various reasons, I see it's influence in my life.
Luckily, it has a wide orb, so Neptune's influence did not wholly swallow me up, but many things did fit with the description of Sun/neptune conjunction.

Last edited:

starlink

RuledbySaturn, I always look if the aspect is ingoing (showing that the energy will get stronger by progression) or outgoing (showing a diminishment of energy).

So if the aspect is ingoing, I could easily add a degree or two for a conjunction and most certainly for an opposition where I allow anyhow a larger orb (up till 10° for Sun and Moon and 8° for other personal planets. Planets like Uranus, Pluto and Neptune will, by progression hardly move so there I dont look at ingoing or outgoing and keep orbs within limits.

Normally I keep 5° for conjunctions, squares and 8° for oppositions. 7° for Sun and Moon. For minor aspects and for inconjuncts 2°.

Lin

This is one of those questions which will give you multiple answers.
As a astrologer, I have found being "generous" with orbs has been of service to me and my clients.
With the Sun, I will allow up to 12 degrees....and the same with the Moon.
For other planets, 8 degrees is usually the most you should allow.
For minor aspects, usually it's 2-3 degrees.
BUT
and this is important: if something is negative in the person's life, you will NEVER have to rely on only ONE aspect to tell you that information. There will ALWAYS be validation in the form of other aspects from other planets, whether the energy is hard or easy.

Transitting aspects have varying orb guidelines...except for these 2 rules:
if a heavy planet finishes making an aspect and isn't going to retrograde, the transit is usually over when it's separating by 1 to 2 degrees. ALL the action usually takes place before the exact degree of the aspect, unless the planet will retrograde, as I said.

IF the planet is going to retrograde, the transit can be in effect for months, sometimes years, if more than one planet is involved and the planet is slow enough, like Pluto or Neptune.

Sometimes when one of those "questionable" aspects is energized by a transitting heavy planet, there is no question that the aspect is valid!! So that is why I am generous with orbs...more than likely, at some point, that aspect will be valid.

Experience will teach you these things. Do research. But if it's only YOUR chart you are interested in, assume that a degree or even 2 outside the usual orb shouldn't make you ignore the aspect.
LIN

Claire19

I use only major aspects such as conjunction, square, trine, opposition and sextile. The inconjunct I use no more than 3 degrees. The orbs should be no more than 5 degrees and perhaps 8 degrees if the Sun and Moon are involved. THe minor aspects such as semi sextile perhaps if they are exactly 45 degrees and with planets that are strong. i.e. Sun Leo semi sextile Venus Libra 45 degrees which I have. I dont use semi squares or sesquiquadrates etc at all.

HOw large an orb are we talking about????
With transits and progressions we use only small orbs in any event, no more than 2-3 degrees in my experience.

Claire19

Thank you all - I think I am going to re-analyze my chart to allow for larger orbs just to see if they do have an effect in my life.
Even with the Sun I wouldnt use 12 degrees, I think that is too generous and too weak an influence. I used to use 10 degrees and found that was even too wide really.

Claire19

This is one of those questions which will give you multiple answers.
As a astrologer, I have found being "generous" with orbs has been of service to me and my clients.
With the Sun, I will allow up to 12 degrees....and the same with the Moon.
For other planets, 8 degrees is usually the most you should allow.
For minor aspects, usually it's 2-3 degrees.
BUT
and this is important: if something is negative in the person's life, you will NEVER have to rely on only ONE aspect to tell you that information. There will ALWAYS be validation in the form of other aspects from other planets, whether the energy is hard or easy.

Transitting aspects have varying orb guidelines...except for these 2 rules:
if a heavy planet finishes making an aspect and isn't going to retrograde, the transit is usually over when it's separating by 1 to 2 degrees. ALL the action usually takes place before the exact degree of the aspect, unless the planet will retrograde, as I said.

IF the planet is going to retrograde, the transit can be in effect for months, sometimes years, if more than one planet is involved and the planet is slow enough, like Pluto or Neptune.

Sometimes when one of those "questionable" aspects is energized by a transitting heavy planet, there is no question that the aspect is valid!! So that is why I am generous with orbs...more than likely, at some point, that aspect will be valid.

Experience will teach you these things. Do research. But if it's only YOUR chart you are interested in, assume that a degree or even 2 outside the usual orb shouldn't make you ignore the aspect.
LIN
I agree in general with what you say. Absolutely.

Claire19

Thank you all - I think I am going to re-analyze my chart to allow for larger orbs just to see if they do have an effect in my life.
It has been my experience that we will allow a wider orb if it is an aspect we like and narrow it for the challenging aspects.:wink: i.e. heavy Pluto or Saturn squares or oppositions.....

Claire19

RuledbySaturn, I always look if the aspect is ingoing (showing that the energy will get stronger by progression) or outgoing (showing a diminishment of energy).

So if the aspect is ingoing, I could easily add a degree or two for a conjunction and most certainly for an opposition where I allow anyhow a larger orb (up till 10° for Sun and Moon and 8° for other personal planets. Planets like Uranus, Pluto and Neptune will, by progression hardly move so there I dont look at ingoing or outgoing and keep orbs within limits.

Normally I keep 5° for conjunctions, squares and 8° for oppositions. 7° for Sun and Moon. For minor aspects and for inconjuncts 2°.
I used to use the orbs that you cite but feel that 8 degrees is really too wide for anything other than the SUn or Moon. I think that 5 degrees is too wide for most conjunctions as the nature is to be tight..... However this is a question that will rage on forever I feel. I think it is just what works for you once you are experienced. You use tighter orbs for the Sun and Moon????

As you have seen these can vary between astrologers and novices. Generally I use 8' -+ for conj, square and opposition, but to the 'lights as in sun/moon' then poss max 10' orb. Trine =120' -+ 6', sextile = 60' -+ 6' qunincunx =150' -+ 3'

Also worth considering "applying" and "separating"

There are only three factors, but you have to have a way of knowing them.

1) Speed of the planets
2) Which planets is ahead, and which one is behind.

A simple example:

If two planets are close to conjunction, if the one "ahead" is moving slower, the aspect is applying.

If two planets are close to conjunction, if the one "behind" is moving slower, the aspect is separating.

There are some general rules about the speed of planets, but retrograde motion makes this a bit complicated for all true planets. Only the Sun and Moon do not alternate between direct and retrograde motion