Conversion of astro-data to Major Arcana Symbols: Method 1

dr. farr

Following is one of two methods I learned some time ago, for converting astrological data into Tarot Major Arcana symbols.
THIS IS NOT AN ASTROLOGICAL METHOD!
However, this technique can be regarded as adjuvant to, supportive and further descriptive (symbolically descriptive) of regular astrological delineations.

This conversion method can be applied to any element of any variety of astrological chart (natal, synastry, mundane, event or horary chart) when Tarot symbolic "affinities" are desired to be investigated.

This method (allegedly) was developed in the early 1800's by remnants of Ettiella's Society of Thoth (Ettiella was the great popularizer of the "mystic" Tarot in France in the late 1700's), and the method then passed down (orally) within a certain Rosicrucian tradition (a member of which informed me of its history and instructed me in the practical technique)

Method:

-only the 22 Major Arcana Tarot symbols (MATS for short) are used
-basically, the cusp or Part or planet from the regular astrological chart is converted into longitudinal degrees of the ecliptic circle, from 0 through 360 degrees
-the degree and minutes are taken into account
-then, in a numerological process, they are added together as single numbers (the degree and minutes, if minutes are present)

Example: Sun @ 29Aries34:
+Convert into degrees and minutes of the 360 circle: 29Aries34 = 29 degrees 34 minutes
+now add them numerologically: 2+9+3+4 = 18
-the sum = the number of the specific MATS for that astrological position
-the above Sun @ 29Aries34 = 29 degrees 34 minutes = 2+9+3+4 = 18; the 18th MATS = the symbolism connected with the Sun in this chart

-the relevant numbers are 1 through 22; number 22 = the 0 or "Fool" symbol of the Major Arcana
-any sum which goes beyond 22 you continue to add until it is reduced to a number between 1 and 9
(23 = 2+3=5; 24=2+4=6; 25=2+5=7; 26=2+6=8; 27 = 2+7=9; 28=2+8=10=1+0=1; 29=2+9=11=1+1=2; 30=3+0=3
31=3+1=4)
-Special case of 0Aries00: obviously this = 0; therefore this references the 0 MAT symbol, The Fool (same symbol as referenced by the sum 22, above)

Example: Moon @29Pisces59:
+Convert into degrees and minutes of the 360 degree circle: = 359 degrees 59 minutes
+now add this numerologically: 3+5+9+5+9; this equals 31
+31 is beyond the 22 limit; so keep adding: 31 = 3+1=4
+the number of the specific MATS connected with the astrological position of the Moon is therefore the 4th MATS

Basically that's pretty much all there is to making the conversion.

What about reading the Tarot Major Arcana symbols as either "upright" or as "reversed"?
+Determine what part of a sign the planet, cusp/sensitive degree or Part is posited in: that is, in the first part of the sign (0-14:59 degrees) or the second part of the sign (15-29:59 degrees)
+Using the following table:
-if the astrological element is in the first part of a + sign, the MATS would be read "upright"
-if the astrological element is in the second part of a + sign, the MATS would be read "reversed"
-if the astrological element is in the first part of a - sign, the MATS would be read "reversed"
-if the astrological element is in the second part of a - sign, the MATS would be read "upright"

Table of Signs re: + and -

Aries: + Taurus:-
Gemini:+ Cancer:-
Leo: + Virgo:-
Libra: + Scorpio:-
Sagittarius:+ Capricorn:-
Aquarius:+ Pisces:-

I shall be posting several examples of how to do this conversion. It is really very easy to do!

Last edited:

dr. farr

TABLE OF MAJOR ARCANA TAROT SYMBOLS

Conversion-sum Number = Major Arcana Tarot Symbol

..#1..The Magician

..#2..The High Priestess

..#3..The Empress

..#4..The Emperor

..#5..The Hierophant

..#6..The Lovers

..#7..The Chariot

..#8..Strength

..#9..The Hermit

..#10..The Wheel of Fortune

..#11..Justice

..#12..The Hanged Man

..#13..Death

..#14..Temperance

..#15..The Devil

..#16..The Lightning-struck Tower

..#17..The Star

..#18..The Moon

..#19..The Sun

..#20..The Last Judgement

..#21..The World

..#22..The Fool (note: same symbol for 0Aries00 = 0 by conversion)

Last edited:

dr. farr

An astro-conversion example:

+Suppose we wanted to know the Major Arcana Tarot symbols connected with important elements of President Obama's nativity: say we selected the Part of Fortune (inter-relationship of asc+Moon+Sun), the MC degree (high point) and the ascendant degree (essence of self) How would we determine the affinitive MAT symbols?

:part of Fortune (in natal chart) @ 27Aries14
Convert: 27Aries14 = 27degrees14minutes = 2+7+1+4 = final sum of 14 = 14th MAT symbol = Temperance; Part of Fortune posited in second half of a + polarity sign (which = a - or reversed reading for the MAT symbol) so for the natal Part of Fortune our MAT symbol is:

Temperance (reversed)

:MC (in natal chart) @ 28Scorpio53
Convert: 28Scorpio53 = 238degrees53minutes = 2+3+8+5+3 = final sum of 21 = 21st MAT symbol = The World;
MC in second half of a - polarity sign (which = a + or upright reading for the MAT symbol) so for the natal MC our MAT symbol is:

The World (upright)

:Ascendant (in natal chart) @ 18Aquarius03
Convert: 18Aquarius03 = 318degrees03minutes = 3+1+8+0+3 = final sum of 15 = 15th MAT symbol = The Devil; Ascendant posited in second half of a + polarity sign (which = a - or reversed reading for the MAT symbol) so for the natal Ascendant our MAT symbol is:

The Devil (reversed)

Thus for key Obama natal elements (Part of Fortune, MC and Ascendant) the Major Arcana Tarot symbols are:

Temperance (reversed) + The World (upright) + The Devil (reversed)

Last edited:

dr. farr

Another example:

-My ascendant is 29Taurus 42: what Major Arcana is affinitive to my ascendant?
Convert 29Taurus42 = 59 degrees 42 minutes = 5+9+4+2 = 20; the 20th MATS is affinitive to the ascendant degree; this is The Last Judgement; now, reversed or upright? The ascendant degree is in the second half of a -polarity sign, which means its placement= a +polarity: therefore, The Last Judgement is to be read as upright

-My Venus is at 0Sagittarius01: what Major Arcana symbol is affinitive to my Venus?
Convert 0Sagittarius01 = 240 degrees 01 minute = 2+4+0+0+1 = 7; the 7th MAT symbol is affinitive to Venus (in this astrological placement) The 7th MATS = The Chariot. Is The Chariot to be read upright or reversed? Venus is posited in the first half of a +polarity sign which means its placement = a +polarity: therefore The Chariot is to be read as upright.

vanila

Hey dr. farr very interesting.....

my Sun is at 06.03 Cancer...
so 96.03=9+6+0+3=18
the Major Arcana Tarot Symbol is the Moon(reversed)....
I didn't understand what exactly you mean by reversed and upright..:eek:
and how we can interpret the card....
in my natal my Sun is ruled by the Moon...:eek:
can you explain it(the meaning) a little more detailed...or there is nothing more to understand than that...:) please

nila

dr. farr

In Tarot, the symbols (cards) may be read as either upright or reversed; there is a different emphasis whether the card is upright or reversed (for example, in the Obama example given above, The Devil symbol, reversed, came up as the symbol associated with Obama's ascendant degree: the reverse Devil symbol is quite different-much more positive-in meaning than the upright Devil symbol; so too with all the other symbols)

Obtain a couple of the better known Tarot books, and adapt the interpretations found there for the astrological connections determined by this Conversion method.

If your natal Sun is disposited by your natal Moon, then ideally you would also convert the position of your natal Moon into its affinitive Tarot symbol, and then, for the Tarot meaning read BOTH Tarot symbols, as pertaining to your specific Sun/Moon natal relationship.

Last edited:

Amy Vir Sn Ari Mn Pis Ris

I tend to follow my Mercury closely since I have 3 planets in Virgo which include my Sun, Jupiter and Mercury. (Pisces rising) and Mercury is my final depositor.

And because Mercury also figures heavily into my significant relationships since my 7th house is Virgo ruled by Mercury.

Sooo my natal Mercury is in Virgo 29 degrees 26 minutes.
That's 2 + 9 + 2 + 6 = 19

19th card is the Sun. So does that mean my Virgo Sun should be paid more attention to with regard to my relationships or would you think Aries and Leo since both are ruled by the Sun astrologically? I was married to an Aries for 24 years. But then I also have an Aries moon so we do tend to get along well with the Sun sign of our Moon signs.

And since we are using Virgo, that's a negative so it's a REVERSE SUN. What does that mean? Libra or Aquarius are the opposite signs of Aries and Leo. My Aries husband was Libra rising too.

What I guess I'm asking is what do we DO with this info? lol.

Now looking at my Venus in Cancer 17 degrees 6 minutes. 1 + 7 + 0 + 6 = 14 which is Temperance and Cancer is another negative so it's REVERSE TEMPERANCE. OK....more what does that mean? lol.

My rising is Pisces 18 degrees 33 minutes. 1 + 8 + 3 + 3 = 15 which is the DEVIL and Pisces is negative to REVERSE DEVIL. OK I guess those are my main players...nope....need the moon.

My moon is in Aries 24 degrees 50 minutes. 2 + 4 + 5 + 0 = 11 which is JUSTICE and a positive sign so stays with JUSTICE.

PART OF FORTUNE is in Scorpio 10 degrees 36 minutes. 1 + 0 + 3 + 6 = 10 = THE WHEEL OF FORTUNE but in Scorpio is a negative so a REVERSE WHEEL OF FORTUNE. Dang, that doesn't sound good for a part of fortune does it?

Last edited:

athan

Hi Amy!
I am afraid you have to do it all over again since we have to convert into degrees and minutes of the 360 circle.
Your Mercury in 29 Virgo 26 equals to 179 deg 26 minutes
(we get 30x5=150 deg until Leo plus the 29*26 we arrive at 179* 26)
So...1+7+9+2+6=25-->2+5=7-->>>The Chariot

Athan.

Thanks for fixing me up Athan! I swear, for somebody who has an exalted Mercury, I am s-l-o-w sometimes! ahahaha~ Maybe that's because it's sextile Saturn? I'm slow to get it sometimes but when I DO get it...it's mine to keep.

OK, so I googled the tarot card chariot and this is what it says

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/chariot.shtml

Sounds like a slow and persevering steady race wins the prize as a quick synopsis of what I read. I can handle that. Tho it would be nice to have SOME things occur without all the effort sometimes. lol

Oh but wait....since Virgo is a negative sign it means REVERSE chariot. OK, I'm back to confused. Off to google s'more~

athan

No need to google more!!!!
Your Mercury is in the last degrees of Virgo so it is in the second part of the sign.
If the astrological element is in the second part of a - sign, the MATS would be read "upright"
So it's Chariot straight and fair for you....

Oh I liked that upright chariot much more. lol. But in the meantime I had found out about reverse chariot as well. Here's a link in case somebody else gets that card.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1699097/the_tarot_card_series_the_chariot_card.html

The part about reverse chariot says:

The laying of a reverse chariot card could forewarn of certain things. It could tell us of self doubt could restrain you of great reward and gains. It might warn us against a defeat if we do not take active steps toward a goal in our lives. Confusion might be playing a big role in your life and you must gain clarity. It might even tell you that you lack power that is need in certain areas of your life.

dr. farr

Athan, you have already become expert at this method!!

Amy: looking at the various Major Arcana which come up for key elements of the chart, the blending of those meanings gives the over-all flavor, although each symbol has a specific affinity for the astrological element from which that symbol has been derived.

General Note: in the Tarot tradition, taking the symbols as either upright or reverse is the method historically used by the majority of practitioners, going back to Eteilla; however, a minority of practitioners only look at the over-all symbol and do not modify as upright or reverse: they take both the meanings of the symbol together, and apply the + indications and - indications of each symbol according to other criteria (not based on whether the card is upright or reversed) It is possible to apply this here to the astro-tarot conversion symbols, and simply go with the over-all symbolism rather than making a further upright/reverse evaluation. I, of course, follow the upright/reversed evaluation tradition, both here in this astro-tarot conversion as well as in my direct use of Tarot cards themselves. But I just wanted to make it clear that this other way of looking at the astro-tarot Major Arcana symbols is a valid possibility as well.

athan

Athan, you have already become expert at this method!!

Thank you!
I need something to be clarified though.
We end up with an Xcard for a Yplanet. Ok.
Do we take under consideration only the astrological correspondences to the card or we enrich our delineation with the meaning of the card?
For instance in Amy's case, Chariot could give a cancerian nuance in Amy's Mercury. Do we stick to that or could we elaborate further by adding the ''trip/excursion'' parameter of the card in question?

OK, so trying this again with my Venus. Cancer 17 degrees = 107 degrees 06 minutes so 1 + 0 + 7 + 0 + 6 = 14 = TEMPERANCE

Cancer is a negative sign so NEGATIVE TEMPERANCE BUT because it's in the 2nd half of a - polarity sign it remains UPRIGHT so my Venus is UPRIGHT TEMPERANCE.

Googling TEMPERANCE card:

http://www.tarotteachings.com/temperance-tarot-card-meanings.html

I love what it says about tranquil waters....perfect for a Venus in Cancer person! lol.

Thanks Dr. Farr and Athan! I'm having fun with this. = - )

Redoing my Part of Fortune in Scorpio 26 degrees 43 minutes = 236 degrees and 43 minutes = 2 + 3 + 6 + 4 + 3 = 18 = The Moon tarot card.

In Scorpio is a negative polarity BUT since I'm in the last half...it remains UPRIGHT so my POF is UPRIGHT MOON card.

Interpretation:

http://www.toniallen.co.uk/tarot-moon-card.html

Well, that's a "sucky" Part of Fortune interpretation. ahahaha. I'm fearful? Do they know I have an Aries moon? :tongue:

dr. farr

Athan:
In answer to your question, we actually do NOT pay attention to the Major Arcana astrological affinities as given in the Tarot literature: rather, we expand our specific chart astrological elements with the (non-astrological) affinities and meanings of the Major Arcana symbol which we have selected by the conversion method.

Amy:
PLEASE do not limit yourself to the site you have been using: Tarot symbolism is really very extensive. For best results from the astro-tarot conversion method, check on several internet Tarot sites for each selected Major Arcana symbol; the best approach would be to get a couple of good Tarot definition books and refer to them in making your astrological element/Major Arcana symbol delineation.

dr. farr

Some recommended internet Tarot symbol definition sites are:
+www.tarot-card.ne
+www.aeclectictarot.com
+www.paranormality.com

Some good quality, practical and easily available Tarot books:
+Complete Guide to the Tarot: Eden Gray
+Tarot for Life: Quinn & Pollack

...more esoterically oriented Tarot books:
+Thursday Night Tarot: Lotterhand
+Tarot: Key to the Wisdom of the Ages: Case
+Esoteric Tarot Card Meanings: Case