Books?

parashartlkdr

Hi astrologers,
I am interested in learning vedic astrology. Can anyone recommend me some books? Kindly give the names of both basic books and that of higher levels.
With respect,
Parashar

The_Saturnian

Nakshatra wise I would recommend The Nakshatras The Lunar Mansions of Vedic Astrology by Dennis M. Harness, Ph.d with introduction by Dr. David Frawley.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Are you coming from Western astrology? If so, there are some good intro texts which can help you make a transition. They are not good to be able to do vedic only, to help you change your head-set:

James Braha: Ancient Hindu Astrology for the Modern Western Astrologer.

Again this is not a text to make you a Vedic Astrologer. Its only a way to get started in making the transistion. Sort of like the books about Apple System 10 for Windows XP users.

Zarathu

Account Closed
I am an Indian by birth, by spirit and by tradition.

Then you are clearly not in need of Braha's book. However, perhaps some others who are not of your persuasion are.
I, myself, do not normally incarnate in the WEST, but in this life I did, along with some friends of long standing through many lives who did also, such as Kt Boehrer.

dr. farr

Beginning level:
-"Elements of Vedic Astrology", 2 volumes: K.S. Charak
...then
-"Bhrigu Sutram:, trans. G.S. Kapoor

Advanced studies:
-"Vimsottari & Udu Dasas", Sanjay Rath
-"Predict Comprehensively through Divisional Charts", V.P. Goel
-"Dots of Destiny: Application of Ashtakavarga", V. Aditya
-"Ashtakavarga", Patel & Aiyar
-"Mystical Formulae: Vol 1-Mantras; Vol 2-Yantras", K.T. Shubhakaran

parashartlkdr

Thanks a lot for your kind reply. I will certainly some or all of these.

Other senior and respectable members may kindly reply.

With regards,
Parashar

suhasg

There are plenty of entry level books to choose from including those recommended earlier.

I would suggest books from:

G S Kapoor, J Bhasin, D S Mathur to begins with.
Try to find books from Ramkrishna Bhat, Muthuswami (a mega 2 vol set)

(Don't start with B V Raman, Gayatri Devi Vasudeo, K N Rao, Sanjay Rath, V K Chowdhari etc)

One book that I wholeheartedly recommend is:

Ganesh Hora Shastram' vy S. Ganesh.
This is a two volume set focusing on 12 houses, planets wihtin it and house lord in different houses. A very detailed book,worth buying.

This book is available from 'Sapana Book Stall,Bangalore' they do have online shopping facility www.sapanaonline.com , cost is around Rs 600.

In US this can be had from www.astroamerica.com

Hope this helps