Bob Dylan

sallyd

I am convinced that this chap must have Scorpio rising, yet every online birth chart thing I can find has him down as Sagittarius rising...

Does anyone feel, as I do, that he may have 'reinvented' his time of birth, along with many other bits of his background, in order to fit his roaming minstrel persona?

Steeler

I don't think his birth-time is even known...But he does seem like a sagittarius rising because of the way he does things.

If he reinvented his birth, which I doubt, he should have chosen a better date.:p

Also his moon conjunct saturn/uranus interests me a lot. Since Saturn is usually restrictive and Moon is about emotions, how has that managed to help him with his music? I guess the conjunction with Uranus makes him so different from others. Also, if he is a sagittarius-rising, he has a mighty strong stellium in 5th house of creativity. Even more interesting!

Last edited:

sallyd

Oooh thanks for the reply - my first post here...

Why do you think he seems Sag rising? I think that is the picture he wanted to paint of himself when he first started out - the wandering gypsy type image.

Seeing him perform live, he often stands with his back to the audience and makes very little (if any) contact. That doesn't strike me as very Sagittarian. Maybe he's just fed up of it all, but he's so very DARK and Scorpionic.

The Saturn, Moon thing I do think fits pretty well though....

Steeler

SallyD:
That was my first post too, haha. :D

I think he's a Sag rising because he has this 'freedom' thing to him that Sagittarius ascendants usually have. He does his music in his own way, without asking others. Also, if I remember correctly, in the beginning people did not like his lyrics (which he's known for), because they weren't the "normal" lyrics that people were used to hearing. Sagittarius right there. They do things the way they want, because it's all about freedom.

The stellium in 5th house also points to why he is so talented. Saturn is in there with Jupiter, Moon & Uranus. But if he was a Scorpio ascendant, those planets would be in 7th house and that just wouldn't be the same. Yes, he would still have planets in Taurus (throat), but that itself does not indicate vocal talent, even though some people think this. (More factors are needed)

You mentioned that he performs with his back to the audience.
I haven't heard much about that, but it doesn't sound like something he wouldn't do. Saturn in 5th can be restricting in self-expression and even more if the ascendant isn't one of those "outgoing" one's. The conjunction of Saturn and Moon is seen in people who are quite shy, but he has managed to overcome it to the point of being able to perform. And that's a big thank you to Jupiter in 5th + Moon. (Not forgetting uranus, of course ;P)

I remember that there was some artist that once said, that he [Bob] honestly never cared even if people weren't listening to him. He was just doing his thing and you either listened to him or not. This is the good side of Saturn + Uranus.

Bob's chart explains itself very easily. Why he's talented, why he's what he is and so on. It's all there.

Mercury and Venus in Gemini point to the ability to write good lyrics.
& Mercury is in its original ruler. It can't seriously get any better than that.

"Maybe he's just fed up of it all, but he's so very DARK and Scorpionic."

Moon conjunct Saturn, again. I usually think of Pluto when it comes to dark stuff, but in his case...Pluto is quite well treated. All planets are sextiling it or making Quintile aspects. (which are seen as talent-indicators) Saturn is a good second to people who are "dark", but Uranus, seeing how a lot of inner-planets conjunct and square it is a cause of it too.

Boy this became a long post...::

Last edited:

sallyd

Lovely detailed post. Thanks.

I do tend to agree with the third poster, however, that he has 'Scorpio eyes' - eagle eyes - and to me that means Scorp rising...plus the always wearing black, and the fixation with 'doomy' stuff

I believe the Sag stuff was manufactured. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Dylan, but I believe he manufactured his entire persona - as indeed a Gemini trickster will. The people wanted political folky stuff (or at least the 'cool' people he wanted to be a part of at the time) so he went along with it. I don't think he was particularly individulistic in that at the time.

If having Scorp rising means he has all that activity in the 7th house, I can well see that too - all his stuff is about relationships isn't it? Nobody knows the workings of the bloke, but his songs tell of love and loss throughout his career (ok most popular singers' stuff does) but he's never been an independent spirit - he always had a 'muse' (or several)

As for being a 'vocal talent' - well - he isn't really is he? Can you name any Dylan fan who loves him for his voice?

sallyd

...and with Scorp rising he'd have Saturn in the 6th - 'You gotta serve someone' being one of his Christian era songs - LOL

:)

Steeler

sallyd said:
Lovely detailed post. Thanks.

I do tend to agree with the third poster, however, that he has 'Scorpio eyes' - eagle eyes - and to me that means Scorp rising...plus the always wearing black, and the fixation with 'doomy' stuff

I believe the Sag stuff was manufactured. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Dylan, but I believe he manufactured his entire persona - as indeed a Gemini trickster will. The people wanted political folky stuff (or at least the 'cool' people he wanted to be a part of at the time) so he went along with it. I don't think he was particularly individulistic in that at the time.

If having Scorp rising means he has all that activity in the 7th house, I can well see that too - all his stuff is about relationships isn't it? Nobody knows the workings of the bloke, but his songs tell of love and loss throughout his career (ok most popular singers' stuff does) but he's never been an independent spirit - he always had a 'muse' (or several)

As for being a 'vocal talent' - well - he isn't really is he? Can you name any Dylan fan who loves him for his voice?
I also agree with the Scorpionic look, but when it comes to looks, the ascendant should be looked at and in my opinion, mars aswell. Especially in his case, since Mars is in pisces and highlighted in his chart.
His mars squares uranus and I think this is the aspect that gives him his "broody" looks. He's not your model -handsome man, but he's not ugly either.

Wearing black was also a thing of Johnny Cash (the man in black), who had a huge influence on Bob Dylan. So I believe that the clothes part came from his idol. (And in Johnny's case, he has moon in scorpio...If I have the birth-time right.)

Doomy stuff = Pluto/Saturn/Uranus. Uranus in 5th house natives like different things when it comes to creativity and all things weird. Seeing how Saturn is there, this gets even stronger. Moon conjunct Uranus person is usually quite moody (some cases even bipolar).

This manufactured persona thing...I agree with, kinda. And that is Neptune's doings. The ascendant is the personality that the person 'puts out', not the whole thing. Neptune is quite interesting in his chart, because its in the 9th house and the Sun, Moon, Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus are trining it. So Neptune is also a big part of his whole persona.

5th house is about creativity, but love also. :) "Expressing yourself through the role of the lover." <-Joan Baez, anyone?:p

And after seeing the Martin Scorsese movie about Bob, I don't think he really liked being seen as a political figure. Yes, he wrote political songs, but he didn't want to be part of the movement that was started when he was around. He wanted to do his own thing and write, but without being restricted and by being made into a political figure this freedom was pretty much taken away from him. He now had a responsability towards his listeners, even if he disliked it (and he did).

'Vocal talent' was a comment I made about Taurus the sign and people seeing it as the singers sign, because Venus rules the throat with Libra. Another reason why he has such an eccentric voice is because he has Uranus in 5th house and in Taurus. Uranus in any house makes things different there..

I honestly doubt he would go to such length and come up with a different birth-date. He doesn't need to be mysterious, he is naturally. Moon conjunct Saturn/Uranus.

Last edited:

sallyd

'Vocal talent was mainly a comment I made about Taurus the sign and people seeing it as the singers sign, because Venus rules the throat with Libra.'

As a Taurus with Libra rising, I'm obviously a wonderful singer...;)

Charm

As far as Saturn conjunct moon. I have the same aspect. It restricts emotional expression, so if the person has all the house 5 planets, they would channel much of their emotional expression into their art-music. I have venus in pisces and am very much into art and music. Whenever I am super depressed/feeling restricted, I go to dance class or sing. It allows me to channel positively!

redwolf481

librarising.com doesn't have a birth time for bob dylan but there guess is a cap rising....I tend to agree a but not so sure now....though torn a bit because he does have scorpionic features.........the eyebrows...the nose...the face... bob dylan is also an eagle high above most muscians...my father is a muscian and considers dylan the heaviest man on the planet and on the level with ghandi and others...well I don't have an opinion on that...dylan is known for his influence of the beatles and john lennon especially......john lennon was a big fan of dylan and dylan said his music was great but it didn't say anything..that started the beatles to becoming much more serious about there music...I have a heavy heavy pluto influence and as an actor and a fan of music thats the way I feel too... I feel that movie scripts are best written from someones point of view..and music that doesn't say anything just doesn't hold my interest......ya know many people hate eminem but hes a genius....I remmeber people were horrified when his song "kim" came out about killing his wife....it wasn't about killing his wife...he went through every emotion you feel when you've been cheated on if you pay attention.....thats the way i feel about music as well anyway back to dylan....I have noticed something about many great artists that they seem to have taurus energy opposite scorpion energy like daniel day lewis has a **** load of planets in taurus...moon, venus...sun...ect.....he has a scorp rising.....bob dylan has that as well...I think now he may be a scorp rising..I can find out I bet...I have his girlfriends/ lover's(not sure what she is to him) number(random comment huh) shes friends with my dad..there all into metaphysics....

sallyd

'..I can find out I bet...I have his girlfriends/ lover's(not sure what she is to him) number(random comment huh) shes friends with my dad..there all into metaphysics....'

wow redwolf - i am impressed!

JUPITERASC

librarising.com doesn't have a birth time for bob dylan but there guess is a cap rising....I tend to agree a but not so sure now....though torn a bit because he does have scorpionic features.........the eyebrows...the nose...the face... bob dylan is also an eagle high above most muscians...my father is a muscian and considers dylan the heaviest man on the planet and on the level with ghandi and others...well I don't have an opinion on that...dylan is known for his influence of the beatles and john lennon especially......john lennon was a big fan of dylan and dylan said his music was great but it didn't say anything..that started the beatles to becoming much more serious about there music...

I have a heavy heavy pluto influence and as an actor and a fan of music thats the way I feel too... I feel that movie scripts are best written from someones point of view..and music that doesn't say anything just doesn't hold my interest......ya know many people hate eminem but hes a genius....I remmeber people were horrified when his song "kim" came out about killing his wife....it wasn't about killing his wife...he went through every emotion you feel when you've been cheated on if you pay attention.....thats the way i feel about music as well anyway back to dylan....

I have noticed something about many great artists that they seem to have taurus energy opposite scorpion energy like daniel day lewis has a **** load of planets in taurus...moon, venus...sun...ect.....he has a scorp rising.....bob dylan has that as well...I think now he may be a scorp rising..I can find out I bet...I have his girlfriends/ lover's(not sure what she is to him) number(random comment huh) shes friends with my dad..there all into metaphysics....

Name' Dylan, Bob MALE - Birthname: Robert Allen Zimmerman
born: 24 May 1941 at 21:05 (= 9:05 PM )
Place: Duluth, Minnesota, 46n47, 92w06 Timezone: CST h6w (is standard time)

Data source: Birth Chart/Birth Record in hand :)
Rodden Rating AA Collector: Steinbrecher

SUN MERCURY VENUS ASSEMBLED HOUSE 7 OPPOSING ASCENDANT

horoscope-chart5__radix_24-5-1941_21-05.png