Big Five Non-Luminaries

Rebel Uranian

Without the luminaries the Sun and Moon, there are five planets. Never mind that most cultures seem to have five elements rather than the Greek four.

Intellect (Openness) - Mercury - Mercury is intellectual and curious. Duh.
Extraversion - Jupiter - Jolly Jovial Jupiter. Extraversion here is primarily centered on tendencies to experience positive emotions but also to be the life of the party and center of attention.
Neuroticism - Saturn - Saturnine Saturn. Neuroticism here makes on depressed, anxious, emotionally unstable, etc.
Agreeableness - Venus - Agreeableness is one's desire for social harmony. It is how we feel compassion, have a soft heart, cooperate, and work on a team.
Conscientiousness - Mars - Mars is about war and it is ambitious and disciplined. Think military or martial arts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits

Last edited:

Moog

I think that assigning Mars to 'conscientious' is a stretch

Otherwise, quite interesting. But doesn't really reflect how scores for those categories would actually be created by complex planetary interactions.

I'm not really sure what you're suggesting we do with this, if anything?

Rebel Uranian

I was thinking you just look at the dignities of the planets and give people high or low scores, with a neutral (0) dignity correlating to 50% average. I'm not sure if it actually correlates. And yes, Mars was a stretch, but I had to fit it in there somewhere, and all the other planets fit in their little cubby-holes so perfectly, so that means we might just be misunderstanding Mars.

People's personalities do not involve complex interactions at all, but interestingly they're almost all that people want to analyze. Events that shape our behavior can be more significant than personalities in some ways, and these definitely involve complex interactions, but that's predictive astrology, not natal.

Last edited: