Astrology and MBTI

MSO

I've found that my MBTI type matches up pretty well with my chart.

For those of you who don't know (probably most), the MBTI is the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. It has 16 different personality types.

As a mostly fire and air type (only 1 water planet, no earth), I come in at ENTP. I think it fits nicely.

How about you guys? What are your findings?

Last edited:

Naomi_Sadge

I have 5 planets in Fire, 3 in Air, 1 in Water and 1 in Earth while being 90% Mutable and I swing between INTP (the Thinker) and ISTP (the Mechanic) depending on what day I take the test. While this doesn't fit my chart at first sight, it perfectly fits my line of work.

But... when you look more closely at my chart, you can see that Saturn in 3rd and Mercury Retrograde largely contribute to me being an Introvert rather than an Extravert.

MSO

I think I should mention this... When taking into consideration the planets and their effects, you don't count the outer planets. It should go without saying, but Pluto's sign isn't going to make much of a difference in your personality.

Instead, focus on the inner planets. Mars should be the outermost planet (in my opinion), but also Jupiter and Saturn if they're prominently placed. I can just as easily fall into the INTP category, and I think that's mainly because my Moon is in Pisces. But another factor could be because Saturn is in my 5th House, and that wreaks havoc on what would otherwise be a very go-out-and-have-fun personality.

Also, take account of the relationship between the planets, as well as the houses.

Last edited:

ashriia

I'm an INFP.

taurus sun, 12th house gemini moon, 12th venus.
gemini rising at a very late degree, nearly into cancer.

tautomer

Having studied MBTI and Jungian theories for many years now, I can say that there is little to no corralation between signs and type. You can fit each to the individual case by case, but there are no patterns.

I ran a forum dedicated to INFJ's (as I am one) for well over a year not too long ago. Multiple times we had discussions come up about astrology and individuals posted there charts. There were no stand out patterns. It was all case by case for each person.

ashriia

Having studied MBTI and Jungian theories for many years now, I can say that there is little to no corralation between signs and type. You can fit each to the individual case by case, but there are no patterns.

I ran a forum dedicated to INFJ's (as I am one) for well over a year not too long ago. Multiple times we had discussions come up about astrology and individuals posted there charts. There were no stand out patterns. It was all case by case for each person.

it's still interesting all the same..

MSO

Hmmm interesting.

So then the questions I'd have would be:

1. Could it be that the astrology used (method) isn't accurate?

2. Could it be that your personality isn't influenced by astrology at all, OR that astrology merely influences events in your life rather than your psychological composition?

3. Could it be that the MBTI test results are inaccurate or that the people are mistaken about their type?

I have many questions, but I'll leave it at 3 for now.

it's still interesting all the same..

Very!

actio

I've used astrology to explain some of the differences between myself and my those of identical type.

On enneagram forums there was somebody named ganglion who would use astrology to determined person's enneagram type. He said that he had 50+% success rate where random guessing would yield only 1/9=11%. You can pm him with your birthday and birth locale and he will do a reading. His profile: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=6783

Moog

Did you check sidereal charts?

Rebel Uranian

I 100%, n 100%, T 100%, J random %

I don't consider MBTI to be a very useful method of categorization since it isn't entirely based on valid fundamental principles and thus is little more than a stereotype.

LovelyNomad7

I scored as an INTP although when i talked about it to the counselor who was doing my assessment she said I could be INFP. It definitely suits me well. I can appear to be extroverted when you first get to know me (Aries ascendant, Gemini moon) but once you really get to know me you'll realize that I'm more of an introvert.

I'd say I'm more INFP though but I definitely go back and forth between the two.

5 planets in water, 4 in Earth, 1 in air and my ascendant in Fire.

tautomer

I 100%, n 100%, T 100%, J random %

I don't consider MBTI to be a very useful method of categorization since it isn't entirely based on valid fundamental principles and thus is little more than a stereotype.

On the basic level it is. On a deeper level it isn't.

The original theory by Jung was about the catagorization of different ways of thinking. Really, MBTI is a theory about how people think, and nothing else. It often is associated with different types of behaviors, but they are not consistent enough to draw definitive patters of behavior. The weak corralation though has resulted in the bastardized version of MBTI that we encounter on a more or less day to day basis. Thus, the main ideas that were developed by elizabeth myers and isabelle briggs are in many respects, false.

I find the tool useful because if I know the general style in which a person thinks, then I can adjust my presentation in such a way that they more easily understand me, and what I am speaking of. Outside of that there is not too much use except for being able to "spot" people, which is hard to explain.

There have been links to body language and these types (the original types based off Jung all those years ago), that appears to be the most consistent form of typing. Thus I largely use body language as the main tool to type someone.

I studied this or a while bit more or less have given up a large portion of it because it has sort of worn out it's use to me. I have not forgotten it, don't get me wrong. It just plays a less active roll in my mind.

IleneK

Premium Member
On the basic level it is. On a deeper level it isn't.

The original theory by Jung was about the catagorization of different ways of thinking.

I'm not sure what his original theory was, but Jung's discernment and articulation of the dichotomy between thinking and feeling was not merely "cat[e]gorization of different ways of thinking." It was theory about how people go about valuing things, either by the thinking function or the feeling function.

!4C

I wonder if the expression of pluto has to do with judgmental/perceptive dichotomy.

I always test perceptive and I relate more to pluto's analytical nature. In my chart it is clear that domicile venus has libra pluto on a short leash. However, she does occasionally sic that dog on threats related to libra issues.

Or, does jupiter actually make the judgment calls based on pluto's perceptions? I tend to think of jupiter as the optimistic explorer that enjoys the search for truth more than making firm decisions. I guess I'm not really sure which planet would be responsible for making the final decision.

tautomer

I'm not sure what his original theory was, but Jung's discernment and articulation of the dichotomy between thinking and feeling was not merely "cat[e]gorization of different ways of thinking." It was theory about how people go about valuing things, either by the thinking function or the feeling function.

You've misunderstood what I mean by thinking. I am not referring to the Ti or Te functions. By saying thinking I mean how individuals intake information, process it, and output it.

Skywomb

Well I'm either an INTJ with some heavy Fi (or Ni and Ne over the top)...or an INFP. FYI........oh that probably says jack....

Astrology is way complex...not to disregard MBTI but it's way simplified. Even if one only looks at functions, Ni Ne Fi Fe Te Ti etc..... (and disregard boxing anyone into one of the "types")

/great authority on the matter (not)

Skywomb

Any method of measuring or modeling or describing a person is less complex than the actual person.
Have you considered cockroaches? Actually I think you might be right there as well, they probably have some extremely hard to describe little consciousness.

So I guess I'm talking about "size".... Size matters.

(I could have just written "Amen"....but.)