Astrologers Versus Astronomers

david starling

We rely on modern-day astronomers for the ephemerides. Those who use the outermosts and asteroids rely on astronomers for the names of those celestial bodies, and many of us attach astrological significance to those namings.

But, are the names the astronomers give them always correct? Should we simply accept them as they are?

We've already had a slight disagreement with astronomers over the downgrading of Pluto from planet to dwarf planet, but it hasn't really changed anything, because that hasn't changed our evaluation of Pluto's influence in a chart.

But the naming by astronomers appears to be sacrosanct. We take it on faith that the planets are properly named.

No memes please.

CapAquaPis

Astrology has to thank astronomy for sharing the same kind of scientific field on planets and the universe, but the one main difference is astrology is used to predict the outcome of the future astronomy is diametrically opposed to and that professional astronomers' hold a disbelief in the usage of astrology as a para-science or pseudo-science.

Opal

Premium Member
And once, they were one. No versus. Equal in importance. What it is and what it means.

Yin and yang

Opal

Premium Member
And once, they were one. No versus. Equal in importance. What it is and what it means.

Sometimes, they are accurate with the name choice, by some miracle. Other times, like with Uranus, it changes from say Herschel to Uranus, by some miracle.

Is it a miracle?

david starling

The philosophical objection of some to the USE of the 3 Outermosts isn't about the names that were chosen by astronomers, it's that the telescope was used to identify them as planets.

Anyone have a real problem about what they ended up being named?

david starling

The name "Chiron" was carefully chosen, from what I've read about it. But, the "wounded healer" appellation is specifically from Jung, not from astronomers.

david starling

Opal astutely pointed out on another thread that the 2021 Solstice chart for this year has Chiron in tropical Aries in H2, both Whole Sign and Placidus.

Good correlation to the financial difficulties currently going on Worldwide.

david starling

It's interesting that the Greco-Roman mythology wasn't used for naming the "Moon" and "Sun", by ancient astrologers, even though they have clear associations to gods and goddesses in the Greco-Roman tradition. Those associations are used in astronomy for "Heliocentric" (Greek Sun-god "Helios) and for "Solar-system" (Roman Sun-god "Sol"). So this is one case where astronomers are more mythologically inclined than astrologers!

Another such case is "Lunar", used by astronomers but not in astrology from the Roman name for the Moon, "Luna".

Opal

Premium Member
The philosophical objection of some to the USE of the 3 Outermosts isn't about the names that were chosen by astronomers, it's that the telescope was used to identify them as planets.

Anyone have a real problem about what they ended up being named?
I find it interesting that a child named Pluto. Pluto and Jupiter share rulership of my chart.

With the child naming it, the Cosmos concurred

david starling

Astronomy was my first love as a child-I became a whiz kid at it; but later I asked what does it all mean, especially for humans-that’s when I began studying astrology, and continue to to this day.
I took only Astronomy 1A in college, but didn't pursue astronomy as a career choice. If I had, I'd be one of those rare astronomers who "believes in astrology"! :lol:

Opal

Premium Member
I am allergic to most scents. I couldn’t handle being trapped with all those smells, just kill me instead. School’s stank. Had to go.🙄 Uranus 9th.

Opal

Premium Member
Astronomy was my first love as a child-I became a whiz kid at it; but later I asked what does it all mean, especially for humans-that’s when I began studying astrology, and continue to to this day.
What is your favourite planet or entity?

david starling

I find it interesting that a child named Pluto. Pluto and Jupiter share rulership of my chart.

With the child naming it, the Cosmos concurred
Disney named the dog after the recently discovered and named planet, because it had a unique sound to it.

So. the girl who named the planet can also get the credit for the naming of Pluto the dog!

david starling

I am allergic to most scents. I couldn’t handle being trapped with all those smells, just kill me instead. School’s stank. Had to go.🙄 Uranus 9th.
If the military draft was after you, a college deferment might have made those musty college smells more tolerable!

Opal

Premium Member
If the military draft was after you, a college deferment might have made those musty college smells more tolerable!
I tried to join, in my small town recruitment Center. They weren’t interested, I was from a family with military folk, but it was the 70’s, I was female, and probably smelled like cannabis.

Opal

Premium Member
Actually, I was high schooled in a pulp and paper town. Not allergic, but the stench, if the wind was wrong, was reason enough to skip out.