Aries 1: A woman rises out of water, a seal rises and embraces her

sdh3

PHYSIOLOGY & ANATOMY​

• The keyword woman descends from the Indo-European (IE) root ghwibh- which means both ‘shame’ and ‘pudenda.’ The latter refers “human external genital organs collectively especially of a female.”

• The keyword rises descends from the IE root er-1 which means “to move, set in motion.” Among its paronyms is the word hormone, “a substance, usually a peptide or steroid, produced by one tissue and conveyed by the bloodstream to another to effect physiological activity, such as growth or metabolism.” Other paronyms are abortion (termination of pregnancy and expulsion of an embryo or of a fetus that is incapable of survival) and rear (to care for a child or children during the early stages of life).

• The keyword out descends from the IE root ud- which means “up, out.” One of its paronyms is hysteresis which means “the lagging of an effect behind its cause.” The Greek roots of hysteresis are husteresis (a shortcoming), husterein (to come late), and husteros (late).

• The keyword water descends from the IE root wed-1 which means “water, wet.” One of its paronyms is hydropsy, “a condition characterized by an accumulation of watery fluid in the tissues or in a body cavity.”

• The keyword seal descends from the Middle English sele and the Old English seolh. One of its paronyms is selkie, “a creature or spirit in Scottish and Irish folklore that has the form of a seal but can also assume human form.” Essentially, a selkie is a Celtic mermaid.

• The keyword embrace descends from the IE root mregh-u- which means “short.” Among its paronyms are brasserie and bra, “a garment worn to support and give contour to a woman’s breasts” and brachium, “the upper arm from shoulder to elbow” and “an arm or a homologous anatomical structure”, e.g. a flipper or wing.

• The keyword her descends from the IE root ko- which means “this” and which is the stem of several pronouns such as he, her, him, his, etc. Its paronyms include hind (located at or forming the back or rear; posterior) and behind. One informal definition of the latter is “the buttocks.”

ReincarnatedRainbow

The point was? What does this have to do with anything? I tried looking for some kind of code sentence, but found nothing. And what do Aries have to do with this?

sdh3

The point was? What does this have to do with anything? I tried looking for some kind of code sentence, but found nothing. And what do Aries have to do with this?

RR, thank you for your questions.

1) What, you ask, was the "point" of this post. The "point" is that every keyword in the symbol reinforces the central theme--PHYSIOLOGY & ANATOMY.

2) What, you ask, does this have to do with anything? This post appeared in the "Degree Symbol" forum. If you need a refresher on the importance and validity of degree symbols there are plenty of resources available on the web and in a number of published works. Just google "Sabian Symbols."

3) The "code sentence" was at the top in the center of the post in bold and caps--PHYSIOLOGY & ANATOMY.

4) And finally you ask about what the Sabian Symbol Aries 1 has to do with the sign of Aries. The answer to that question has been provided in a number of places. Your best bet might be the one provided by Dane Rudhyar in his terrific book called "An Astrological Mandala." All of his interpretations and commentary used to be published on the web but the site seems to be down now. The book is available over Amazon and if you want to know what the Sabian Symbols are and why many consider them the most useful set of degree symbols around, then that is the book you want to read.

thoughtfully
sdh3

sdh3

Ah, wow. I didn't even pay attention to the section I was in. that would explain some my confusion.

But why are you decoding these definitions?

RR, no problem. I forgot that these posts are often listed on main page of the forums and thus might be viewed by people other than the intended audience!

So why am I "decoding these definitions", as you say? Great question and I am not sure how to begin. Perhaps it's best to provide you with a little background on the Sabian Symbols. The best source for that is probably this page on the website of the Sabian Assembly.

As you'll note, these symbols have been around in various forms since 1925. Degree symbols by others have been around for much, much longer.

As you might have already determined, there are 360 Sabian symbols--one for each degree of the Zodiac. The originator of the symbols interpreted all 360 on more than one occasion. His final set of interpretations were given in a book entitled "The Sabian Symbols in Astrology.". Over the last 75 years countless other interpretations have been written for these symbols. The most prominent authors of these interpretations include Dane Rudhyar, Eric Schroeder, Lynda Hill, Blain Bovee, and Diana Roche. No two sets of interpretations are the same, perhaps because like many things in life, two or more people can see the same things and see them very differently!

My "decoding (of) these definitions"--as you so nicely phrased it--has a definite purpose--to generate another set of interpretations of the 360 symbols. My approach is different than most of the others published to date but perhaps closest to that of Bovee. Actually, I've already interpreted all 360 symbols twice. The first set was pictographic and I "published" those on a blog back in the fall of 2008. Here's a link---The Sabian Symbols in Images.

A second set of "linguistic" interpretations were completed earlier this year. They are what I now call the "long form" interpretations. You can find them on my scribd page at this URL. I warn you of two things. They are not easy to read. And I make no great claims for their insightfulness. All I can say is that i find them very useful for my purposes. I'm not sure if anyone else does or ever will.

This third set are what I'll be calling my "short form" interpretations. I'll post some of those here from time to time.

Okay, I'll stop now with the hope that some of this might prove helpful to you.

thoughtfully
sdh3

piercethevale

He's right.
1. they are valid. I've found them to be actually 'symbolically active as to the four axis points Dane identified as, for the two on the "Horizon" as, "WHO", "WHERE-TO" [what the "WHO" must become ..or resist with concious effort as the Cosmos is going to try to get you to do so become that], and for the two on the "Vertical Axis" as, "HOW" and "WHY".

&

2. They can be interpreted differently and actually need to be depending upon whether is applying the interpretation of the 'influence' to a chart axis, a Luminary, one of the Nodes, and, [as I have found and do so give much of my efforts at this forum to promote] especially as to the Astrological Part/Lots as the 'myriad of affects' that are possible due to the vast, verily countless field of everything that an Astrological Part/Lot might indicate...from the most very objective of those I know of such as the, four different, Parts/Lots for father, mother, brother, or sister...to the most abstract such as Love, Faith, Transformation or Destiny.

Personally, I do strongly recommend [advise] to start with the book by either Marc Edmond Jones or Dane Rudhyar and once familiar with it. to then get to know the basis of the other as well, before working with other authors interpretations. that came much later.

Marc and Dane ...both being very active the first half of the 20th Century, Dane did fare better as for being remembered as He did live longer and had a broader base of knowledge from which to begin his study in astrology having studied Vedic and Hindu philosophy and the writings of Carl Jung on both psychology and symbolism.
They have been around the longest. Mark, whom had them in his possession exclusively at first, awaited some 27 or 8 years to publish an entire book on the interpretations [and what he finally decided to 'set' as a description of the symbols.] Dane obtaining the symbols some ten years after Marc and with His permission and blessing to alter any symbol [albeit within reason...and...IMHO... of which Dane had to much integrity to even need to be told that.] and add any additional commentary on the definitions, or additions to and or alternative takes on the base description and or overall delineation of interpretation.

Lynda Hill is probably the best next in line..as far as i know. she has paid attention to those symbols which are easily understood by minds of 'European/Western influence and cultures into that which can be grasped by a good many that might be like [probably] to not savvy or mis-interpret... such as the symbol which emphasizes traveling West...because in every European and Western culture 'West' has always been identified with 'Better Opportunity' , 'good Fortune', 'El Dorado' etc.
I know little of the other authors [as I'm still busy with Jones Rudhyar and Hill] but I do know that the author, 'Goldstein', is to be definitely shunned as all he has done is reinvent any symbol that 'smacked of something that might be taken as symbolic of Christianity' ifyaknowaddimean:wink:

...and he didn't even try to come up with an 'alternative symbol' description that reflect the 'Precept' of Cosmic affect the symbol is but seems to have just assembled any collage of words as long as it didn't have any word or phrases such as that like 'Cross', 'Pope', 'Master and Disciple' etc.

If anything good comes out of Goldsteins book it'll be the awareness that there be those in this study that aren't so much in it for the knowledge and understanding it will bestow them ..but to keep you from the same.:rightful:

And SDH's book here is surely an aid for those that wish to use Sabian Symbols in astro-interpretation that need to 'switch their concept of thinking' ... as for an example, ...say, from using them to interpret the attributes of ones natal Mars to something so different as to that as, the Arabic Part of Mother. Especially for those that weren't given as much abilities to visualize concepts and precepts and other abstract matters in their minds.

Last edited:

ReincarnatedRainbow

So..Wait, sorry. Sabian symbols talk about the degrees of astrology? I've been looking some of this up online, but I am a bit slow when it comes to learning, so I'm not quite catching on.

I thought if I were to find out my own "Sabian symbols" then there would be a connect, but I had the chart generated and my mind is still blank.

sdh3

So..Wait, sorry. Sabian symbols talk about the degrees of astrology? I've been looking some of this up online, but I am a bit slow when it comes to learning, so I'm not quite catching on.

I thought if I were to find out my own "Sabian symbols" then there would be a connect, but I had the chart generated and my mind is still blank.

RR, just as no two charts are the same, no two people will have the exact same combination of Sabian Symbols. Let's have a look at yours. Just post your chart and I or someone else can tell you what they are and tell you how to find and study the interpretations of each. It's not complicated.

--sdh3

CapAquaPis

On my natal charts the planet Venus is in 1 or 2 deg. Aries, quite close to the beginning of the astrological calendar year and also in my personal MC (Mid-heaven) at 3-4 degrees Aries. I have to interpret the first 4 degrees (oddly, 360 degrees to go) sabian symbols in order to come up with one relevant message.

1º Aries (1): A WOMAN HAS RISEN OUT OF THE OCEAN, A SEAL IS EMBRACING HER.
2º Aries (2): A COMEDIAN ENTERTAINING THE GROUP.
3º Aries (3): A CAMEO PROFILE OF A MAN IN THE OUTLINE OF HIS COUNTRY.
4º Aries (4): TWO LOVERS STROLLING THROUGH A SECLUDED WALK.

1. A woman appears in my life appearedly loves or admires animals/pets.

2. She's a well-spoken talkative comical personality I came to know.

3. Someone else I'm familiar with his works in an organization or association.

and 4. These two people are in love together, therefore I'm just a friend.

I ask you all on reinterpreting the very start (1 aries)-Venus transit-MC on my star chart would signify, because I'm not good or gave out too simple answers don't ring up to the forum's more expertise scholars in astrology.

sdh3

CAP, thanks for sharing this information. Can you please either post your chart of indicate the EXACT positions of the planets in question rather than writing 1-2 degree Aries, etc. Without this information, it's not possible to accurately determine which symbols are relevant.
thx,
sdh3

On my natal charts the planet Venus is in 1 or 2 deg. Aries, quite close to the beginning of the astrological calendar year and also in my personal MC (Mid-heaven) at 3-4 degrees Aries. I have to interpret the first 4 degrees (oddly, 360 degrees to go) sabian symbols in order to come up with one relevant message.

1º Aries (1): A WOMAN HAS RISEN OUT OF THE OCEAN, A SEAL IS EMBRACING HER.
2º Aries (2): A COMEDIAN ENTERTAINING THE GROUP.
3º Aries (3): A CAMEO PROFILE OF A MAN IN THE OUTLINE OF HIS COUNTRY.
4º Aries (4): TWO LOVERS STROLLING THROUGH A SECLUDED WALK.

1. A woman appears in my life appearedly loves or admires animals/pets.

2. She's a well-spoken talkative comical personality I came to know.

3. Someone else I'm familiar with his works in an organization or association.

and 4. These two people are in love together, therefore I'm just a friend.

I ask you all on reinterpreting the very start (1 aries)-Venus transit-MC on my star chart would signify, because I'm not good or gave out too simple answers don't ring up to the forum's more expertise scholars in astrology.

piercethevale

CAP, thanks for sharing this information. Can you please either post your chart of indicate the EXACT positions of the planets in question rather than writing 1-2 degree Aries, etc. Without this information, it's not possible to accurately determine which symbols are relevant.
thx,
sdh3
I don't know if you are aware of Her situation SDH3.. I went near bonkers trying to understand Her a couple of times..She does have a slight bit of autism... as she explained to me... And thus, she has trouble expressing herself.:wink:

ReincarnatedRainbow

RR, just as no two charts are the same, no two people will have the exact same combination of Sabian Symbols. Let's have a look at yours. Just post your chart and I or someone else can tell you what they are and tell you how to find and study the interpretations of each. It's not complicated.

--sdh3

O-kay.

Um...I can't find a chart. The only site that generates charts is astrologyweekly it seems, and I can't post a link to my chart because the link is set to a default chart. Either that is AstrologyWeekly is dead set on calling me a Sagittarius.

Last edited:

sdh3

O-kay.

Um...I can't find a chart. The only site that generates charts is astrologyweekly it seems, and I can't post a link to my chart because the link is set to a default chart. Either that is AstrologyWeekly is dead set on calling me a Sagittarius.

There should be an option for saving the chart as a PDF. Then you can upload that here. If not, then just list below the positions of the planets, Asc, MC, and any other points you think are important, e.g. parts.

--sdh3

ReincarnatedRainbow

Sun
Sabian Symbol: A man successfully expressing himself in two realms. Proficiency

6°05' Aries
Crystal: Ametrine

Moon
Sabian Symbol: A massive, rocky shore. Stabilization

4°17' Scorpio
Crystal: Stromatolite

Mercury
Sabian Symbol: A boxing fighter enters the ring. Exertion
20°31' Aries
Crystal: Hematite

Venus
Sabian Symbol: A triangle with golden wings. Zeal
4°21' Aries
Crystal: Herkimer Diamond

Mars
Sabian Symbol: 24 Mary and her white lamb. Artlessness
23°08' Virgo
Crystal: Gypsum

Jupiter
Sabian Symbol: Two lovebirds sitting on a fence. Affirmation
14°05' Aquarius
Crystal: Rose Quartz

Saturn
Sabian Symbol: A man teaching new forms for old symbols. Interpretation
9°37' Aries
Crystal: Fossils

Uranus
Sabian Symbol: Beautifully gowned wax figures. Impact
7°48' Aquarius
Crystal: Pink Diamond

Neptune
Sabian Symbol: A secret business conference. Opportunity
29°40' Capricorn
Crystal: Conglomerate

Pluto
Sabian Symbol: A game of cricket. Sportsmanship
5°16' Sagittarius
Crystal: Blue Aventurine

North Node
Sabian Symbol: A man gaining secret knowledge from a paper he is reading. Discovery
28°34' Virgo
Crystal: Heulandite

South Node
Sabian Symbol: A prism. Validation
28°34' Pisces
Crystal: Natural glass

piercethevale

Not knowing what thread already established by sdh3 to post this I chose this one as it is a picture relevant to the Sign of Aries and I thought that sdh3 can dig and appreciate it as for another take on the imagery for the 14th degree of Aries [as Rudhyar puts it for the degree from his book "An Astrological Mandala"]

"A SERPENT COILING NEAR A MAN AND A WOMAN.
KEYNOTE: Identification in bipolar relationship with the impersonal rhythm of natural energy."

The artists name is Shivani and I met her back in the 1980's when she was dating an old friend of mine from High School and College days.
I can get the full name for anyone that requests it. The artwork is likely copyrighted.

Last edited:

sdh3

Thanks for posting that wonderful image. I'll add it to my collection under the degree you suggested.
--sdh3

piercethevale

Thanks for posting that wonderful image. I'll add it to my collection under the degree you suggested.
--sdh3

In that case, I'll try to make a better image...as the card wasn't exactly flat when I took the photo. I'll also give you her full name so as to avoid any copyright issues that might arise. ...and I'll check the card to see if any copyrights are mentioned... knowing the gal a bit from what I knew of her at the time I met her and from during the span of that relationship she had with my old friend, I believe she would be delighted to grant use of her artwork for such an endeavor.

As it is being used for illustration in a educational process ...as that is what your book attempts to provide, in my opinion, the "Fair Use" clause of the copyright laws would seem to apply, anyways.

sdh3

Aries 1: A woman rises out of water...

Much appreciated!
Will be away on vacation for about two weeks, beginning tomorrow (Aug 1-15). If you don't hear from me right away, don't be surprised!

--sdh3

In that case, I'll try to make a better image...as the card wasn't exactly flat when I took the photo. I'll also give you her full name so as to avoid any copyright issues that might arise. ...and I'll check the card to see if any copyrights are mentioned... knowing the gal a bit from what I knew of her at the time I met her and from during the span of that relationship she had with my old friend, I believe she would be delighted to grant use of her artwork for such an endeavor.

As it is being used for illustration in a educational process ...as that is what your book attempts to provide, in my opinion, the "Fair Use" clause of the copyright laws would seem to apply, anyways.