are you ready for some football?

shawn

the REAL football that is, American style!
the opener is a rematch of last year's nfc title game between the vikings and saints and i ran a few horoscopes to see if i could find a handicapping edge for either team.
transits to viking qb favre's natal chart include a partile conjunction from saturn to uranus and this is not the kind of aspect any athlete should want to see in his chart. this is a classic injury alert and i wonder how his surgically repaired ankle will hold up.
coach childress is getting a conjunction from transiting mars to neptune and a first qtr square from saturn to the sun. neptune is also making a partile opposition to natal pluto
these are not the types of aspects that i would want to see as a viking fan.
they are also likely to have natal saturn and neptune angular at the end of the game and this is not hopeful either.

saints qb brees is getting a 3rd qtr square from T MA to N MA and a sextile from T SA to N JU. his chart looks better than favre's
coach payton is getting a sextile from T SU to N NE and a trine to N MA, which is above average. he is also getting the conjunction from T NO to N SU and the trine to N UR.
i think the astrology clearly favors the saints to win

anyone else getting excited about the nfl season?

shawn

Which football did they play in South Africa? Which football is the international sport of the world? I'm not sure, but I'd like to know more!
sorry you had to be exposed to that, pal, but i think you are referring to a 'sport' we call 'soccer', by it's rightful name...:unsure:

Christian09

week1.jpg
[/IMG]

Pisces rises; Saints get Jupiter as Home(and favorites).Min is Merc. interesting that both are Rx....Note the Jupiter day and Merc hour. Jupiter conj Fortuna...Saints.
Both planets are strong, which makes sense being the two best teams in NFL...

PF on Jupiter...can't ignore this
Hate to say it; Looks like Saints in high scoring game. NO 34 Min 27:mad:

shawn

hi christian,
and thanks for posting your opinion, but you are off on the starting time as it will be approximately one hour later.

Momma's Kumquat

just to clarify, 'soccer' is a word americans invented because, rather than just admitting their ignorance to the rest of the world, they just pretended that football was always called 'soccer'.

football is called football, because you kick the ball. american football is called football because they THROW something in the shape of an EGG.

...and because they're rubbish at actual football.

Momma's Kumquat

I wasn't actually being serious, I was being ironic. that's another thing American's can't quite get their heads round... :p you'll probably post up the meaning of irony now aswell.

shawn

I wasn't actually being serious, I was being ironic. that's another thing American's can't quite get their heads round... :p you'll probably post up the meaning of irony now aswell.

i quite enjoyed the world cup final game between netherlands and spain, mostly because they spent most of the game knocking each other on their asses. that's what's great about the NFL. every single play, guys are getting knocked on their asses. so what could be better?
does anyone have any astrological opinions about the NFL this year?

Momma's Kumquat

I actually quite like the nfl, just not when it's reffered to as football and football is reffered to as soccer.

they don't actually spend alot of time playing though? they've got like 12 different coaches to consult and after that they sub half the team off, just to play 3 1/2 seconds of actual sport, then do it all over again. :\

by the way, the world cup final was appauling, that world cup probably had a terrible horary chart hahaha

Christian09

hi christian,
and thanks for posting your opinion, but you are off on the starting time as it will be approximately one hour later.

Sorry, I'm on the west coast and sometimes ***** up the time...

Vikings Merc opposes fortune, significator Rulerships stay the same not much time to look at this chart, Only change I's say is maybe less scoring?

Vikes.jpg

jennygarth557

shawn

that was a cool lesson in the etymology of the term 'soccer' from templeton! who knew?
looks like we have a few NFL fans on this site, after all...
i agree with momma kumquat that all of the stoppages in play can be a little annoying in the NFL, but if more soccer games were played like that world cup final game, i would like it a lot more.

that was cool of christian to post the chart for the beginning of the game and i used to take the 'game chart' approach to forecasting winners too. i hardly ever look at these charts anymore because i use a chart based on the projected end of the game. most NFL games run just slightly over 3 hours, so it is something of a guess.
i took a minute to look at the beginning of the game chart and i would have reached the same conclusion of a saints win as he did, but from a different angle.
i would give the ascendant to the home team and pick them to win based on the square to angular pluto in the tenth house. these types of squares were one of the more reliable indicators of a win for the home team when i used this method about 15 years ago.

looks like we all picked the saints to win and they beat the vikings 14 - 9 , so we are batting a thousand so far this year!

Momma's Kumquat

Sure you were. Don't pretend like you knew that little factoid before I posted it. But nice backtracking anyway. I give you points for effort. :)

I wasn't pretending I knew, I didn't. I was just making a point that I didn't care about it's actual origins, it's just a word that makes americans seem ignorant. I could've googled, copied, pasted... but it'd have been far too tedious...

I have an American accent, if I refer to "soccer" as "football" I sound like some Eurotrash wannabe retard. Likewise, if someone with an English accent refers to "football" as "soccer" they sound equally as retarded.

It works for us to call it soccer, and it works for you to call it football. If you don't like it, then too bad. :kissing:

Meh. Don't assume anything about my nationality. I was born in US and A and have a horrible American accent but I grew up overseas, so I consider myself a citizen of the world. :smile:

Why did you think I like soccer? If I was raised in the States, I would probably hate it and be extremely fat. I like soccer, I know my geography, and I'm not criminally obese. Does that sound like a real American to you? ;)

Agreed. It was shite.

Yip. :smile:

I didn't know you were american, I was just making an example of another irritating american tendancy. Sorry for my generalizations, I do apologise...

You never know, maybe if you reffered to football as football, you'd start an ultra cool trend of calling something by it's name!

Despite what you might think, I'm not actually a xenophobe. My cousin has been raised in america, he and his american friends both agree that soccer is football and that, to a large percentage of americans, irony is just something that sails over their heads. you guys have great athletes, we have irony... can't have it all I suppose!

Momma's Kumquat

She has a point! Athough, you do have to be clinically insane to play Aussie rules. or just Australian... :p

and yes, U.S.A did finish above us, although I half think someone put a gypsy curse on us in that world cup, it was beyond diabolical.

shawn

i agree with 07.re that ARF is an awesome game and i remember back in the early 80's when ESPN used to televise a lot of these games. i fell in love with it back then, but i have not seen this game televised in the states since that time.
templeton, are your opinions on this weekend's NFL winners based upon astrology in any way? if so, please tell us something about your methods..,

07.Re

i agree with 07.re that ARF is an awesome game and i remember back in the early 80's when ESPN used to televise a lot of these games. i fell in love with it back then, but i have not seen this game televised in the states since that time.

I've done some digging and found that ESPN3 streams Australian Football (hope the link works):

http://search.espn.go.com/australian-football/videos/6

http://espn.go.com/espn3/index (click Replay)

I realise its not the same as watching on telly, but if you have a few spare hours to kill, here is something to keep you out of mischief.

:)

Bulletbobb

I watched the promo on Youtube and it looked pretty exciting. It looks like a mix between soccer and rugby. Glad to see the players can use their hands. To my mind soccer is rather contrived because the natural use of limbs is to run on the big ones and manipulate things with the small ones.

How the world can get so excited by a game where no one ever scores is beyond me.

Bob

07.Re

I watched the promo on Youtube and it looked pretty exciting. It looks like a mix between soccer and rugby. Glad to see the players can use their hands.

Bob, here is a description from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football

The object of the game is to score by kicking the ball between the goal posts, with the highest score being awarded for kicking the ball between the middle two posts. The team with the higher total score at the end of the match wins.[4] Except for rare circumstances,[5] if the score is tied, a draw is declared.
Players may use any part of their body to advance the ball. The primary methods are kicking, handballing and running with the ball. There are rules on how the ball can be handled, for example players running with the ball must intermittently bounce or touch it on the ground. Throwing the ball is not allowed and players must not get caught holding the ball. Unlike most similar sports, there is no offside rule, and players can roam the field freely. Possession of the ball is in dispute at all times except when a free kick is paid. A distinctive feature of the game is the mark, where players anywhere on the field who catch a ball from a kick (with specific conditions), are awarded a free kick.[6] Australian rules is a contact sport, in which players can tackle using their hands or use their whole body to obstruct opponents.

Apologies Mods if its over the 100 word limit... its late and I haven't counted it.

Bulletbobb

Thanks for the explanation. I'll take back part of what I said about use of the upper limbs. Can the players pitch the ball to the rear as they do in rugby.

Somewhat OT, but how does one upload charts to this thread?

Bob

07.Re

Can the players pitch the ball to the rear as they do in rugby.

Yes but not as a throw / pass as in rugby. To dispose of the ball, the player will use an 'up ended fist' to pass to his team-mate, which is called a handpass.

Somewhat OT, but how does one upload charts to this thread?

This can either be done by attaching the chart as a thumbnail:

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12126

or by using ImageShack:

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1171