Abortion - Your Opinion

Your Take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirius

Dirius, bro, you're telling me you don't want to get divorced raped by a court system that doesn't favor you? That sounds crazy, don't you want to get married?? Don't you like being indebted to a spiteful harpy that has the power of the law behind her??????

:lol:
Just wanted to say: yeah, I don't want to marry either. It's why I always date up rather than equal or lower, though I still don't think marriage will ever be something I do. Very early 30s here too.

"Hello! I'm here to sign up for financial ruin!" :sideways:

A friend of mine got together with a woman at 30 (not married), separated at 32. They have one child. Took a joint loan with his girl to buy a house, she is now living in the house, he is the one paying for the loan, and has to pay child support :kissing::kissing:

No thank you mate :happy:

david starling

A friend of mine got together with a woman at 30 (not married), separated at 32. They have one child. Took a joint loan with his girl to buy a house, she is now living in the house, he is the one paying for the loan, and has to pay child support :kissing::kissing:

No abortion though. Too bad the kid is living without the father.

Blaze

Account Closed

Dam, sounds like a sweet deal. For the girl. All she needs now is a boyfriend to raise her kid.

That ending is usually how it goes. Happily ever after, isn't it? :lol:

Dirius

No abortion though. Too bad the kid is living without the father.

He gets to see the child, but the first few years after they separated were quite tough on him. She dragged him through court - he spent a lot on lawyers, divorce process, and supporting both of them.

Dirius

Dam, sounds like a sweet deal. For the girl. All she needs now is a boyfriend to raise her kid.

That ending is usually how it goes. Happily ever after, isn't it? :lol:

She is a bit younger than him (currently 28), and she is quite attractive. She will probably suck in another poor soul. He doesn't talk much about her - he is just happy he gets to see the kid, but he is still paying support, even though she does work and has a rather good income.

But at the time of separation, she pretty much tried to get out from paying the loan (did a lot of legal stuff through her lawyer to try to claim bankruptcy), essentially trying to get him stuck with paying the bill ... while she got to keep the house. That eventually sort of resolved and they reached an agreement , but it was a rather tough year for him to deal with all those expenses on his own.

Last edited:

Blaze

Account Closed
She is a bit younger than him (currently 28), and she is quite attractive. She will probably suck in another poor soul. He doesn't talk much about her - he is just happy he gets to see the kid, but he is still paying support, even though she does work and has a rather good income.

That guy deserves a drink. Dam.

But more reason why men our age don't want to risk marriage. It's a cra'ppy investment for us.

Edit: And your friend wasn't even married! Imagine if they tied the knot beforehand? Judge would've destroyed him.

Last edited:

Dirius

That guy deserves a drink. Dam.

But more reason why men our age don't want to risk marriage. It's a cra'ppy investment for us.

Yep. Its not that I oppose the idea of marriage, but with the current divorce rate, it just seems like a bad investment, too risky. Especially if you end up having children.

And many times its not even about one or the other being a "bad person". My current girlfriend and I have been on and off for over a decade, mostly because we've lived in different countries most of our lives. Sometimes marriages get disolved due to external factors. People don't always want the same, and even if you somehow reach a positive agreement, its still a pain.

Even if you have an amicable divorce, and you reach a mutually beneficial financial agreement - the distance, the additional expenses, the split time, etc. , all of this is still hard on people, especially if it involves children.

An uncle of mine, divorced, has a great relationship with his first wife (my aunt and mother of my 3 cousins) - but even then it is still a lot of additional expenses, a lot of compromises, etc.

Dirius

Edit: And your friend wasn't even married! Imagine if they tied the knot beforehand? Judge would've destroyed him.

Yeah, he didn't believe in marriage :wink: - but even without it he got scr*wed. Courts here in my country are very tough on men though.

Ukpoohbear

Ummm you guys talk about marriage being financial ruin for men yet you were advocating against abortion, which is financial ruin for the woman?

The reason you guys don’t like marriage is the reason why I like it - I don’t want to have a baby with a guy unless I’m married so he can’t just up and leave without having to pay.

Ukpoohbear

It’ll make him think twice before having an affair with Betty at the Xmas office party and leaving me high and dry - because there are consequences.

Blaze

Account Closed
Ummm you guys talk about marriage being financial ruin for men yet you were advocating against abortion, which is financial ruin for the woman?

The reason you guys don’t like marriage is the reason why I like it - I don’t want to have a baby with a guy unless I’m married so he can’t just up and leave without having to pay.

I'm actually pro-choice.

Dirius an I are just shooting the sh'it about stuff men go through and why marriage is a poor investment to many men our age.

Ukpoohbear

Yeah I knew it was mainly Dirius against abortion but I lumped you both in together.

I’m just shooting the sh’t about stuff women go through :lol: and why marriage is a good investment for safety.

Blaze

Account Closed
Yeah, he didn't believe in marriage :wink: - but even without it he got scr*wed. Courts here in my country are very tough on men though.

I haven't seen a court that isn't, even here in the land of the free. :lol:

Probably what I miss most about pubs - lots of stories to listen to.

passiflora

Certain logic doesn’t click unless there is underlying emotional literacy.

Dirius

Because most pregnancies are the result of a choice, the same as marriage. You choose to get into those things. Pregnancy has the risk of financial ruin for both men and women, but in most cases (excluding the result of rape), pregnancies are the result of consensual sex.

I understand your view on marriage, but then lets re-introduce the concept of divorce "at fault". Lets say the woman cheats and leaves - why should the husband pay alimony? And if the woman is not financially stable to care for the child economically, and the father is, why not give custody to the father? If he is the one mainly supporting the child economically, he should have custody.

Lets make divorce great again! and make it fair for both. Its a very complicated thing - and in most cases divorces benefits the women more than the man. That is why men, don't want to get married anymore.

Last edited:

Blaze

Account Closed
Because most pregnancies are the result of a choice, the same as marriage. You choose to get into those things. Pregnancy has the risk of financial ruin for both men and women, but in most cases (excluding the result of rape), pregnancies are the result of consensual sex.

I understand your view on marriage, but then lets re-introduce the concept of divorce "at fault". Lets say the woman cheats and leaves - why should the husband pay alimony? And if the woman is not financially stable to care for the child economically, and the father is, why not give custody to the father? If he is the one mainly supporting the child economically, he should have custody.

Lets make divorce great again! and make it fair for both. Its a very complicated thing - and in most cases divorces benefits the women more than the man. That is why men, don't want to get married anymore.

Prenups are nice, but still don't offer enough protection, imo. One party can easily claim they were forced into signing the thing and poof, there goes the agreement.

That happened to my business partner. Scary stuff.

Dirius

Prenups are nice, but still don't offer enough protection, imo. One party can easily claim they were forced into signing the thing and poof, there goes the agreement.

That happened to my business partner. Scary stuff.

In most countries a judge can disregard them as they please.

Only in few exceptional and rare cases would the man be able to get out of a divorce court unscathed.

It would be interesting to ask most forum men what they think of marriage and divorce.

waybread

Dirius, in an ideal world, every pregnancy would be wanted.

In the world we live in, sometimes women (and their sex partners) definitely do not want a baby. But she becomes pregnant anyway.

Unwanted pregnancy is not always a case of sheer careless. Birth control methods can fail. Condoms do this with some regularity. Teenagers may be ignorant of girls' fertility cycles and think she can't get pregnant if they do it just once.

Your argument about "financial ruin" is just pernicious. Poor people have most of the children on the planet, in case you haven't noticed. Maybe you've also noticed adult children caring for the ill and aged parents. Check out the costs of caring for the advanced elderly sometime.

{Deleted attacking comment~moderator}

When my son and daughter-in-law were expecting, he was just over the moon. I asked him how long he had wanted to be a father. His answer was, for his entire life. Now they're especially involved with their son's sports activities.

{Deleted attacking comment~moderator}...you might consider why the upper-middle and upper-classes continue to support marriage at rates higher than for the lower-middle income people in North America. Often later in life, but nonetheless happening. Maybe it's because two orthodontists' incomes are better than one. Maybe it's because two investment bankers can afford a nanny, and to send their children to private schools and ivy league colleges.

Maybe emotionally mature people don't always divorce at the sign of an argument. If they can manage their money, maybe they can also manage their tempers. Maybe it's because money buffers more of the strains felt by lower-income people.

You might think more deeply about the different personal finances of different socio-economic classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.