Almutem Figuris

Omnisphericus

I was asked in private message to explain the method of calculating the Almutem Figuris of the chart, so I thought that since this is new forum (traditional astrology) it would be better to open a thread here and explain the method publicly where we can all discuss it.

Almutem Figuris is an old doctrine where one planet according to certain calculations applied, receives the honors to be the Ruler or Lord of the Chart.
Robert Zoler had applied the therm AlmuteM instead of AlmuteN in order to differentiate the Lord of the Chart from the Lord of certain house or place in the natal chart such as Almuten Domus (Ruler of a House).

The word Almutes is an Arabian word which means 'Winner'.
Because, the planet is the Winner of all the 'life giving' places. Or the places which are most sensible and important in the natal figure.

The method which we'll use here I call Ezra/Zoller method.
Arabian Astrologer Ibn Ezra (1089 — 1164) was the first (as far as we at this moment are aware) to explicitely wrote about calculating the Almutem Figuris.

In his writings Zoller trace the beginnings of this Almutem Figuris and he found it in the writings of Iambichus (c. 245–c. 325) who was Syrian neo-platonic philosopher who wrote also about Astrology in his writings.
Iambicus in his work "Theurgy or on the mysteries of Egypt" speaks about the thing how one can change his fate. He speaks that he can do that through Theurgy and through personal relationship with the Lord of the Geniture of which he (Iambichus) only says that can be known through Astrology, but he didn't explained the method.
Zoller, tracing back the Ibn Ezra's ancestry, through the Sabaeans and his teachers (Mashallah and other) all the way to the first centuries where this doctrine was thought. Because of that line Zoller thinks that the Lord of the Geniture of which Iambichus speaks in his writings is in fact the Almutem Figuris of the Ibn Ezra.

Iambichus speaks (through the name of Porphyry) about the Peculiar Daimon, that is some kind of an Guardian Angel and it is conected to the personal soul but its not the same
Here's what Iambichus says in his Theurgy:
This [daimon] therefore is present as an exemplar before the souls descend into the realm of generated existence. As soon as the soul chooses him for leader the [daimon] immediately comes into charge of completing of its vital endowments and when it descends into the body it unites with the body and becomes the guardian of it common living principle. He likewise directs the the private life of the soul and
whatever the conclusions we may arrive at by inference and reasoning he himself imparts to us the principles."

Zoller about the Almutem Figuris says that it is equally as powerful as all the other planets taken together."

Benjamin Dykes (great student of Zoller) says about Almutem Figuris:
"Almutem Figuris, a powerful planet in the natal figure whose spirit or angel acts as the native's special link to the Divine. The Almutem Figuris is a spiritual astrological delineation, similar to but not the same as Lilly's the "Lord of the Geniture." But like Lilly (and Plato), the Almutem Figuris was taken to affect the native's thoughts, beliefs and character. Spiritual enlightenment can demand that we open our eyes to this particular planet and use it to access the Divine. Significantly, this is a function that many modern astrologers now attribute to the sun sign." (In his article on Happiness).

The method of calculation

1. Find the Essential Dignities (the 5 dignities, apply 3 points to all 3 triplicity rulers), in the Degree of the:
- Sun
- Moon
- Ascendant
- Part of Fortune
- Syzygy (the prenatal lunation, the one that came last, i.e. after which the birth follows - New or Full Moon).

2. Add 7 points for the Day ruler and 6 points to the Hour ruler.

3. Add accidental dignities scores.

For the planet in 1st house you add 12 points.
10th house = 11 points
7th house = 10
4th house = 9
11th = 8
5th = 7
2nd = 6
9th = 5
8th = 4
3rd = 3
12th = 2
6th = 1

The planet which has most points in the aforesaid places is the Almutem Figuris of the chart!

Don't forget to apply the 5 degrees ruler for the planet near the cusp of the houses. For example, if Saturn is at 15 Scorpio in 4th, but the 5th house cusp is at 19 Scorpio, you will calculate that Saturn already in the 5th, and you will give him 7 points instead of 9 as he would took if he was in 4th house. This can make big difference.

The free traditional astrology software - Morinus (google it), calcualte the Almutem Figuris. You can find this option by typing F3. But I should warn you that in that calculation is included some adding of points according to the planets phases. Zoller did not mention any kind of phases calculation so at this moment I'm not aware why the author of the software did included that.

But the best way and more enjoyable is to calculate it with your own hand. You will be familiar with the chart more deeply if you do this calculations with your own hand as the older astrologers did.
And if you must use the Morinus software than subtract the phases scores and you will get the Almutem Figuris right. All else is the same calculation as the Ezra/Zoller method.

Zoller gives short discriptions for every planet being Almutem Figuris:

Sun:
"If the Almuten figuris is the Sun, the native will want to lead, express his creative power and be recognized."

Moon:
"If the Moon, s/he will want to care for, be cared for, eat and make love, dream"

Mercury:
"If it is Mercury, s/he will be diligent in the sciences, business and communications"

Venus:
"Id it is Venus s/he will be a lover of beauty, of music, of men and women etc."

Mars:
"If it is Mars, s/he will fight in order to dominate"

Jupiter:
"If it is Jupiter, s/he will philosophize and teach"

Saturn:
"If it is Saturn he will retire from society, investigate hidden things and suffer adversity.""

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

The word Almutes is an Arabian word which means 'Winner'. Because, the planet is the Winner of all the 'life giving' places. Or the places which are most sensible and important in the natal figure.
I find this particular idea interesting Omnisphericus because it seems similar to finding the "oikodespotes" of the whole chart! Preliminary Natal Analysis of Hellenistic delineation involves several primary rulers - each of which performs a different function.

The 1st primary ruler of the natal chart is known as the predominator of a chart and is the planet that represents the life of the Native so it is probably the most important.

TheTrigon aka Triplicity Lords of the predominator rule sections of the natives life. The first Trigon aka Triplicity Lord = first part of life, second Trigon aka Triplicity Lord = second part of life and The Third Trigon lord is the co-operating Trigon Lord.

The predominator of a chart is the Light of the Time - i.e. Sun by day or Moon by night - provided it is not cadent.

The cadent houses are 3/6/9/12

In a diurnal or day chart, if the sun is cadent then the moon is predominator.
In a nocturnal or night chart, if the moon is cadent, then the sun is predominator.

If both the sun and moon are cadent, then the ascendant is the predominator.

Unsurprisingly, there was some disagreement when some Hellenistic astrologers thought that if the domicile ruler of the ascendant is also cadent, then the Lot of Fortune should be the predominator.

As soon as the predominator had been found, astrologers then proceeded to determine the 2nd Primary Ruler or “oikodespotes” of the natal chart.

Determination of the Oikodespotes
Oikodespotes is a Greek word Schmidt says means “domicile master” e.g. Mars is Oikodespotes of Aries and Scorpio, Venus is Oikodespotes of Taurus and Libra, Mercury is Oikodespotes of Gemini and Virgo, Jupiter is the Oikodespotes of Sagittarius and Pisces, Saturn is Oikodespotes of Capricorn and Aquarius, Sun is Oikodespotes of Leo, Moon is Oikodespotes of Cancer.

Venus is the domicile master aka Oikodespotes of Taurus and Libra because Venus claims those signs as her dwelling place.

The Oikodespotes aka domicile master of the whole chart is the domicile ruler of the predominator's sign and is the planet that claims the entire chart as his/her dwelling place. The Oikodespotes aka domicile master is the one who sets the agenda/policy in native’s life.
The bound - aka term - ruler of the predominator is the “overseer” who sets any restrictions over the domicile master - aka oikodespotes - of the chart.

In natal chart delieneation, Hellenistic astrologers wanted
(a) the domicile master aka Oikodespotes of the predominator to aspect the predominator and

(b) the bound ruler of the predominator to aspect - aka 'be configured' to - the domicile master aka oikodespotes of the chart. The Hellenistic astrologer would also assess whether those planets are “favorable” or “unfavorable” to the native.

I shall now follow your instructions and determine my Almutem Figuris without the use of software! :smile:

SniperBomber328

I read somewhere yesterday that the difference between the 'Lord of Geniture" and the "Almuten of Figuris" is that one is calculated using all the accidental/essential dignities (i.e. the former) and the other is calculated using soley the essenial dignities + the house position (i.e the latter, and is calculated using the formula Omni has posted above).

By the way, what if the Lord of the Asc is the Almuten Figuris as well as the Lord of Geniture, and the Almuten of the Part of Fortune? Cause' my Mars is all these since it falls in the 1st House Scorpio.

dr. farr

My only dispute is with the 5 degree rule: certainly I know that Ibn Ezra (and others) taught this doctrine, but I feel that it will lead to error in the final calculations: we don't find this 5 degree rule in earlier Hellenist authors and I am certain Iamblichus (a major figure of study in the hermetic tradition) would not have followed this either: this 5 degree thing arises from Ptolemy and, moreover, I submit from a misunderstanding of Ptolemy, and became re-inforced with the development of quadrant house formats, replacing the original sign=house format (whole sign house format) of the pre-6th century Hellenists. I do (mostly) accept Ibn Ezra's concept that if a planet is in the last degree of a sign, its influences pass to the next sign: so I would modify the 5 degree rule to a 1 degree rule, ie, if the planet is in the last degree of a sign, count it as in the next sign; further, I would strongly suggest that these calculations use the whole sign (sign=house) format (such as was universally used in the Greco/Roman astrological world during the time of Iamblichus), in preference to quadrant house systems (which I belive can lead into error in making the Alm.Fig. determination)

PS: thanks OMNISPHERICUS for your post, from a fellow admirer of Iamblichus, Ibn Ezra and other earlier, hermetic-oriented astrological authors!!

(Vedic astrology, particularly the minority Jaimini branch, has a similar concept to the Alm.Fig>: in that system the planet with the highest number of degrees in a sign (degrees, minutes, seconds) among all planets in all signs, is the "atmakaraka" planet for that chart, which is regarded in Jaimini astrology much as the Alm.Fig. planet was recorded in oldtime Western/Hellenist astrology)

Last edited:

Omnisphericus

I find this particular idea interesting Omnisphericus because it seems similar to finding the "oikodespotes" of the whole chart! Preliminary Natal Analysis of Hellenistic delineation involves several primary rulers - each of which performs a different function.

The 1st primary ruler of the natal chart is known as the predominator of a chart and is the planet that represents the life of the Native so it is probably the most important.

TheTrigon aka Triplicity Lords of the predominator rule sections of the natives life. The first Trigon aka Triplicity Lord = first part of life, second Trigon aka Triplicity Lord = second part of life and The Third Trigon lord is the co-operating Trigon Lord.

The predominator of a chart is the Light of the Time - i.e. Sun by day or Moon by night - provided it is not cadent.

The cadent houses are 3/6/9/12

In a diurnal or day chart, if the sun is cadent then the moon is predominator.
In a nocturnal or night chart, if the moon is cadent, then the sun is predominator.

If both the sun and moon are cadent, then the ascendant is the predominator.

Unsurprisingly, there was some disagreement when some Hellenistic astrologers thought that if the domicile ruler of the ascendant is also cadent, then the Lot of Fortune should be the predominator.

As soon as the predominator had been found, astrologers then proceeded to determine the 2nd Primary Ruler or “oikodespotes” of the natal chart.

Determination of the Oikodespotes
Oikodespotes is a Greek word Schmidt says means “domicile master” e.g. Mars is Oikodespotes of Aries and Scorpio, Venus is Oikodespotes of Taurus and Libra, Mercury is Oikodespotes of Gemini and Virgo, Jupiter is the Oikodespotes of Sagittarius and Pisces, Saturn is Oikodespotes of Capricorn and Aquarius, Sun is Oikodespotes of Leo, Moon is Oikodespotes of Cancer.

Venus is the domicile master aka Oikodespotes of Taurus and Libra because Venus claims those signs as her dwelling place.

The Oikodespotes aka domicile master of the whole chart is the domicile ruler of the predominator's sign and is the planet that claims the entire chart as his/her dwelling place. The Oikodespotes aka domicile master is the one who sets the agenda/policy in native’s life.
The bound - aka term - ruler of the predominator is the “overseer” who sets any restrictions over the domicile master - aka oikodespotes - of the chart.

In natal chart delieneation, Hellenistic astrologers wanted
(a) the domicile master aka Oikodespotes of the predominator to aspect the predominator and

(b) the bound ruler of the predominator to aspect - aka 'be configured' to - the domicile master aka oikodespotes of the chart. The Hellenistic astrologer would also assess whether those planets are “favorable” or “unfavorable” to the native.

I shall now follow your instructions and determine my Almutem Figuris without the use of software! :smile:

Thank you for the great info on oikodespotes. I'm not much familiarized with the oikodespotes doctrine, I should check that chapter of the Great Book of the Art of Astrology :)

Omnisphericus

My only dispute is with the 5 degree rule: certainly I know that Ibn Ezra (and others) taught this doctrine, but I feel that it will lead to error in the final calculations: we don't find this 5 degree rule in earlier Hellenist authors and I am certain Iamblichus (a major figure of study in the hermetic tradition) would not have followed this either: this 5 degree thing arises from Ptolemy and, moreover, I submit from a misunderstanding of Ptolemy, and became re-inforced with the development of quadrant house formats, replacing the original sign=house format (whole sign house format) of the pre-6th century Hellenists. I do (mostly) accept Ibn Ezra's concept that if a planet is in the last degree of a sign, its influences pass to the next sign: so I would modify the 5 degree rule to a 1 degree rule, ie, if the planet is in the last degree of a sign, count it as in the next sign; further, I would strongly suggest that these calculations use the whole sign (sign=house) format (such as was universally used in the Greco/Roman astrological world during the time of Iamblichus), in preference to quadrant house systems (which I belive can lead into error in making the Alm.Fig. determination)

I know about this problem. It represents the whole issue of quadrant houses or so called divisions.
It would have been much easier if we had one house system of which all traditional authors agree but its not that way.
Hellenistic astrology revival is still in its baby steps and a lot of new researches need to be made in that area before we can throw out all the later authors opinions and practice such as the practice in which the divisioned houses were used.
But I understand your point.
However, there comes a point in each astrologer's development where the practical issues ask from him to decide what house system would be used.
In this moment I decided to use Alcabitius alongside with the Whole Signs always in the back-mind.

Are you using Whole Signs dr. farr?

dr. farr

Yes, exclusively since the late 1990's (prior to which time I had used Placidus for 3 decades) The "Ankara" horary method (my name for what amounts to oldtime Ottoman astrology) used Alchabitius, as did all of the Islamic-transitional era authors, and Bonatti, however, back before computers about all we had to use were the Placidus tables of houses, so that's what I originally used (Placidus) My conversion to whole sign came about around 1999, after reading the Hand booklet and making experiments, which soon convinced me of the better accuracy of the sign=house (whole sign) format...

Anachiel

Simply awesome.

Can you tell me whose triplicity rulers we (or they) used?

For example, Lilly and Ptolemy differ on water as do those of Alexandrinus. Dorotheus and Morin also differ on fire and a few others are out there.....

Omnisphericus

Simply awesome.

Can you tell me whose triplicity rulers we (or they) used?

For example, Lilly and Ptolemy differ on water as do those of Alexandrinus. Dorotheus and Morin also differ on fire and a few others are out there.....

I use triplicities by Dorotheus and Egyptian Terms, Zoller uses this and I think that Ibn Ezra used them.
Morin's triplicity is unique for him, I think no other astrologer (from the tradition) ever used them.

Last edited:

SniperBomber328

I use triplicities by Dorotheus and Egyptian Terms, Zoller uses this and I think that Ibn Ezra used them.
Morin's triplicity is unique for him, I think no other astrologer (from the tradition) ever used them.

In case anyone wants to know the differences, they are located in the post below:

William Lilly Triplicity Rulers

Element | Day Ruler | Night Ruler
Fire | Sun | Jupiter
Earth | Venus | Moon
Air | Saturn | Mercury
Water | Venus | Mars

Ptolemy Triplicity Rulers

Element | Day Ruler | Night Ruler | Participating Ruler
Fire | Sun | Jupiter | Mars
Earth | Venus | Moon | Saturn
Air | Saturn | Mercury | Jupiter
Water | Mars | Mars | Moon

Dorotheus of Sidon Triplicity Rulers

Fire | Sun | Jupiter | Saturn
Earth | Venus | Moon | Mars
Air | Saturn | Mercury | Jupiter
Water | Venus | Mars | Moon

Jean-Baptiste Morin Triplicity Rulers

Fire | Sun | Mars | Jupiter
Earth | Mercury | Saturn | Venus
Air | Saturn | Venus | Mercury
Water | Jupiter | Moon | Mars

Last edited:

SniperBomber328

Most of the Islamic transitional-era authors followed Dorotheus of Sidon; I also use the Dorothean model.

I have a hard time choosing one, since it dictates quite a number of things in my chart, so the difference is noticable too me. I try to use Ptolemy, but I as well want to convert towards the Dorothean Model....I'm having a hard time choosing. Sometimes I wish the ancients would've just agreed upon a number of things (quite a number at that)!:biggrin:

dr. farr

They differed MOST relative to the lists of terms (bounds), no fewer than 6 different term-systems having been devised!! That's one reason why I prefer the monomoiria, of which there has always been only one system (based on the Chaldean planetary sequence)

byjove

Account Closed
Thanks for the direction on this.

How do we know which points are for the phases in the Morinus program? Is it where there is a number in brackets next to another number e.g. 4+(3)? If I ignore the brackets, the Sun has the most points in my chart. I'm confused because someone much more practiced in this than I told me it is Jupiter. If the phase calculation is these brackets, then both the Sun and Jupiter have the highest points in my chart...11...they are both in the same sign, sect, and house...do they joint-rule? :andy:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
SniperBomber said:
I read somewhere yesterday that the difference between the 'Lord of Geniture" and the "Almuten of Figuris" is that one is calculated using all the accidental/essential dignities (i.e. the former) and the other is calculated using soley the essenial dignities + the house position (i.e the latter, and is calculated using the formula Omni has posted above).

No. The Almuten Figuris is the planet that has the most dignity in the five places and other accidental considerations. The Lord of Geniture is the planet that has the most essential and accidental dignity. The sheer amount of work that goes into calculating the Almuten Figuris makes it difficult to mix up with simpler calculations. ;)

byjove said:
How do we know which points are for the phases in the Morinus program? Is it where there is a number in brackets next to another number e.g. 4+(3)? If I ignore the brackets, the Sun has the most points in my chart. I'm confused because someone much more practiced in this than I told me it is Jupiter. If the phase calculation is these brackets, then both the Sun and Jupiter have the highest points in my chart...11...they are both in the same sign, sect, and house...do they joint-rule? :andy:

It's easier to just do it by hand if a program is giving you problems. :) I'm not familiar with Morinus, but maybe someone who is will pop in and set you right.

tsmall

Premium Member
Thanks for the direction on this.

jove, which table are you looking at? I tried (admittedly with only three charts before I got bored :lol:) to find one in my database that had a number and then a + followed by () and couldn't. But if you are looking for the Almuten/LoG in Morinus, go to Tables/Almutens/Chart and it will do all the calculations for you. Scrolling to the bottom will show you which planets have the highest totals for both.

If you are looking under Tables/Almutens/Points it will give you the candidates for the Almuten of a specific point in the chart, for example the Almuten of the 2nd house.

Hope this helps?

edit to add, someone more practiced than I once told my my LoG was Saturn. It isn't. It's Jupiter. So it is worth it if you can to check for yourself. ;)

Last edited:

byjove

Account Closed
I have just found that you can save the almuten calculation chart in the program, so I've attached it here. In the help section of the program it mentions two key aspects to the calculation

1) that a planet can get a higher 'share' according to having rulership of a triplicity or term and

2) that something the program won't be able to judge in a chart is that a planet that makes a partile aspect to the ascendent but having only the second highest score but would still command as almuten of the chart, ahead of the planet with the actual highest score.

I still don't have a good grip on all the details, but I can see that the Sun has the highest score in my chart. I'm not sure yet why someone mentioned Jupiter as being my chart's almuten. I'm in a position to learn about this now.

If anyone can recommend good reading on the role of the almuten, please do! I've read few but intriguing things like all else in the chart is affected by the almuten, the almuten has the importance of all the other planets combined etc.

Attachments

• By JoveAlm.jpg
    By JoveAlm.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 99

byjove

Account Closed
jove, which table are you looking at? I tried (admittedly with only three charts before I got bored :lol:) to find one in my database that had a number and then a + followed by () and couldn't. But if you are looking for the Almuten/LoG in Morinus, go to Tables/Almutens/Chart and it will do all the calculations for you. Scrolling to the bottom will show you which planets have the highest totals for both.

If you are looking under Tables/Almutens/Points it will give you the candidates for the Almuten of a specific point in the chart, for example the Almuten of the 2nd house.

Hope this helps?

edit to add, someone more practiced than I once told my my LoG was Saturn. It isn't. It's Jupiter. So it is worth it if you can to check for yourself. ;)

Hi T, I just finished my reply then seen your's. Yes I'm keen to look into this myself to double-check the caluclation. Plus, I suppose any of us asking these questions are ready to learn the basic mechanics anyhow.

To get the chart, I simply pressed the F3 button, which prepares the almuten of the chart. I note that in the help section of the Morinus program, it mentions that the program will not state the almuten of the chart, because there are other considerations which may be relevant, it mentions that a planet could have only the second highest score, but make a partile aspect to the ascendent, and then would become almuten. I don't know if there are any more of these holistic details to consider.