Which planet would you deem my chart ruler?

Quixotic

I've been curious about this for a while; and I know there are many methods on figuring which planet is the ruling planet over the chart. If you do provide who my chart ruler is, could you please tell me why it is?
Which method do you prefer?

Attachments

• astro_2gw_03_sydney.23419.6157.jpg
    astro_2gw_03_sydney.23419.6157.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 45

Ben

Banned
I'd give it to Venus, Quixotic - as ruler of the Ascendant sign (Libra), which is my preferred method.

However, if there was a planet within 3 degrees of the Ascendant, I'd consider that as a possible ruler (with a first house planet taking priority over a 12th house planet).

Mr.Leo

Sorry for jumping in here, but I was wondering how a ruling planet plays in to things. Does it just strengthen the aspects that are made to that planet, or just show a more dominant role in your personality? How would you describe the importance of ruling planets, or are there any good links out there? Thank you :)

dperez3894

I've been curious about this for a while; and I know there are many methods on figuring which planet is the ruling planet over the chart. If you do provide who my chart ruler is, could you please tell me why it is?
Which method do you prefer?

According to disposition there's three sets of final dispositors in your chart;

Jupiter in Virgo in mutual reception with Mercury in Sagittarius

Saturn in Aquarius in mutual reception with Uranus in Capricorn

Pluto in it's own sign of Scorpio.

The chart ruler appears to be Pluto since the planet is in it's own sign.

I really don't see how pluto can be chart ruler just because it's in it's own sign.....

However, this pluto IS a singleton ie: being only planet in water element

Jupiter is in it's fall in virgo AND retrograde and although in mutual reception is afflicted as mercury in saggi is in detriment, worse than 'fall'

Ben

Banned
How would you describe the importance of ruling planets
Good question, Mr.Leo - as our opinions on that influence our decision upon which planet is the chart ruler.

I believe the ruling planet is the one we consciously identify most strongly with in our charts - (for better or worse, depending upon the extent to which it is "afflicted").

For example, a Virgo Ascendant with Mercury located upon it might identify (and pride themselves) on having a "probing mind that misses nothing" - even though others might see them as "obsessed with minor (and irrelevant) details".

This "outlook" influences the way we view things and how we interact with others - which is usually not the same as how others think we view things or interact - So, our astrological objective is to learn to see ourselves as we really are (rather than as our ego-attached ruling planet encourages us to see ourselves).

Sorry for jumping in here, but I was wondering how a ruling planet plays in to things. Does it just strengthen the aspects that are made to that planet, or just show a more dominant role in your personality? How would you describe the importance of ruling planets, or are there any good links out there? Thank you :)

For me it's not just planet or sign BUT house and area of life that takes on more importance....

Doesn't matter really how chart ruler is aspected, it's *where* it plays out, which the houses describe more than adequately.

BUT chart ruler can be somewhat left behind if there is a stellium of planets (grouping) in another house. Another thing to consider is if chart ruler is handle of bucket chart, which then would take on much more importance. Or apex for Yod configuration. Also if chart ruler is cadent/hidden house ie: 3/9 & 6/12 espec 12th which is THE most hidden, and there are few planets angular espec 1/10th these may be stronger than chart ruler or house even....

Last edited:
so going back to OP chart, she has a stellium of planets in 4th house which is angular containing sun conj Uranus and neptune.

This pairing or trio will overshadow sun's rays and energies to express more Aquarius/uranus and at 'other times' more pisces/neptunian in flavour...

the whole chart seems to lean more towards subjectivity and introversion.

Ruler of the First House in the Second House
You have a strong desire to accumulate possessions and earning your own money is important to you. What you have, materially speaking, influences your outlook on life. Creating your own sense of liberty and freedom largely depends on how well you handle your financial security issues.
http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/houserulerships.htm#hr1

Inconjunct

The chart ruler is the ruler of the Ascendant, so in this case, it's Venus. I see the chart ruler as a signifier of the outward persona of the person whose natal chart we're looking at, adding a layer of interpretation to that of the Ascendant. It also signifies an area of life, by house, which is or will be important to the person. I tend to use traditional rulerships, as there still seems to be some debate as to whether outer planets can rule anything, let alone which signs they rule!

The chart ruler is the ruler of the Ascendant, so in this case, it's Venus. I see the chart ruler as a signifier of the outward persona of the person whose natal chart we're looking at, adding a layer of interpretation to that of the Ascendant. It also signifies an area of life, by house, which is or will be important to the person. I tend to use traditional rulerships, as there still seems to be some debate as to whether outer planets can rule anything, let alone which signs they rule!

Really? I don't find any confusion whatsoever :biggrin:

If I use Trad rulerships for my chart, they simply don't work. 1'Aquarius rising would then be ruled by Saturn in 11th wide orb MC, whereas Modern ruler Uranus in 7th conj Sun/moon describes my life, focus and area of important. 11th house holds no important whatsoever for me, whereas 7th house, I have been married 3x and will do it again......

To add another layer look to parallel in declination. I found Saturn contra Uranus which certainly 'reigns in' the rebellious nature of uranus quite a lot...

To add a further layer you could also investigate midpoints espec sun/moon Asc/MC

Inconjunct

Thing is, though, modern rulerships don't work on the basis of whether the planet functions well in the sign (as traditional rulerships do), but on a presumed set of affinities between the planet and the sign. There is, it seems to me, very little about Aquarius that would help Uranus to function better - it is a fixed sign, for starters, and represents not so much a "rebel without a cause" as an independent thinker. Aquarius doesn't want Uranian chaos, it wants its own rules and structures to prevail.

Thing is, though, modern rulerships don't work on the basis of whether the planet functions well in the sign (as traditional rulerships do), but on a presumed set of affinities between the planet and the sign. There is, it seems to me, very little about Aquarius that would help Uranus to function better - it is a fixed sign, for starters, and represents not so much a "rebel without a cause" as an independent thinker. Aquarius doesn't want Uranian chaos, it wants its own rules and structures to prevail.

It's all words and the interpretations thereof. Now I wouldn't use words like chaos for Uranus, the sign of the inventor, humaniatarian, who simple wants a bit of excitement now and again, to shake things/people up a little. I don't feel (being strongly Aquarius Asc 1st decanate) that aquarius wants it's own rules or structure either.....

Aquarius is air first and foremost and wants communnications, friendships and definately *it's mind stimulated* and of course freedom and independence.

Uranus is rather clever at finding ways to do something quicker, faster. shorter. It's not about creating or wanting chaos (to me of course) it perhaps wants to challenge the status quo (saturn) to be more orginal than traditional, less boring and resourceful.

maybe we are saying similar themes, but speaking from Aquarius/uranus viewpoint, I *cannot and will not * identify with Saturn being my chart ruler, sorry but that's how it is for me...:smile:

Inconjunct

By modern rulership, my chart ruler should be Neptune. If we're doing astrology by personal feeling, then that's not me at all. I'm much more Jupiter than Neptune - even my fat belly is more Jupiterian LOL!