Moon in Cancer

SecretGarden

Every single website I have looked at describes this position rather negatively. They are always described as lazy, moody, withdrawn homebodies who cling to all things of the past, including trivial things that seem stupid. They are also described as hypersensitive and "smothering" and overbearing in the caring department. While they are also known to have somewhat of an imagination and a sense of humor, I can't help feeling like the description of this position is the worst that I have read about, and I don't agree with it at all.

Yet the moon is such an important planet, and the Moon in Cancer is such a powerful position to me. It is at home here. I haven't known a Moon in Cancer person who fits this negative description. None of them seem annoying in the ways I have described above. In fact, I know many of them that are very happy being outside around other people, socializing with ease, and I even know one (with a sun in libra) very well who hates being at home and loves being anywhere else, otherwise she gets bored and restless.

So many famous people also have this position and don't give off this needy, clingy vibe at all. I wonder why it is portrayed so negatively and if anyone can give a more accurate description of this position and what someone's personality would be like given this position.

R4VEN

The person writing the description will have an unconscious judgement to make each time they describe anything.

I have Moon in cancer, and when in a tight spot I display all of the `negativities' of my Moon sign, but I doubt that this is detected by others. Typically, Moon in Cancer is very adept at side-stepping, and so can put on a Happy Face when necessary.

You also have to consider the house in which the moon resides, plus the aspects it makes. Cancer moon squaring Libra Pluto would react more noticeably than a Cancer moon which does not aspect Pluto.

I think the issue of the Moon being at home in Cancer is an important one. Moon in Cancer, then, is at home with the fluid and fluctuating nature of the emotional life. Another way of saying this is: "Moon in Cancer people are moody." It's all semantics.

Sanaqua

I've Moon in Cancer in my 3rd house, trining Pluto in Scorpio in my 7th and opposing Neptune in Capricorn in my 9th house.
I HATE being a Moon in Cancer. If i'm given a chance to change something in my chart, i'll change it simply. It makes very emotional and sensitive person. With its opposition to Neptune in Capri in 9th, sometimes i'm extremely depressed over stupid, trivial things and become sorrowful. I dont know what exactly can it mean with its trine with Pluto in Scorpio, i'm sure about one thing that i dislike my moon in cancer so much. Since, 3rd house is also your primary age, and moon in cancer being there, my childhood was exremely emotional and sensitive. Even if my classmates teased me or say something naughty, i used to take them very seriously. I have controlled this thing to great extent but i obviously cannot run away from it. So, i sometimes have depression in cycles.
It has its good qualities too but in my case, i dislike its negative things more than liking its positive traits.

Peace.
Sanaqua

SecretGarden

I've Moon in Cancer in my 3rd house, trining Pluto in Scorpio in my 7th and opposing Neptune in Capricorn in my 9th house.
I HATE being a Moon in Cancer. If i'm given a chance to change something in my chart, i'll change it simply. It makes very emotional and sensitive person. With its opposition to Neptune in Capri in 9th, sometimes i'm extremely depressed over stupid, trivial things and become sorrowful. I dont know what exactly can it mean with its trine with Pluto in Scorpio, i'm sure about one thing that i dislike my moon in cancer so much. Since, 3rd house is also your primary age, and moon in cancer being there, my childhood was exremely emotional and sensitive. Even if my classmates teased me or say something naughty, i used to take them very seriously. I have controlled this thing to great extent but i obviously cannot run away from it. So, i sometimes have depression in cycles.
It has its good qualities too but in my case, i dislike its negative things more than liking its positive traits.

Peace.
Sanaqua

That's interesting Sanaqua. I'm sorry you don't like your moon in Cancer. Where is your Sun? One of my best friends has Moon in Cancer (Sun in an Air sign) and she is an emotional person but not too sensitive. She also has Moon trine Pluto, but her moon is in the 11th I believe. Like you said, I think house placement really matters here.

I just read on the moon in Scorpio board that someone wishes their moon was in Cancer instead of Scorpio :happy:

Earth Sign

It seems to me that the Moon causes problems when it's in any Water sign. I have the Moon in Scorpio, and I'm prone to explosive emotional scenes and and violent reactions, never within my control, at least, never easily in my control. My mother has the Moon in Pisces, and she has told me that she, too, was very emotional in her earlier years. For a long time we thought that my brother also had the Moon in Pisces, but he never showed the emotional side of a Water sign Moon. His emotions were always well reasoned, and if he ever got emotional it was through a more universal set of values, never instinctual. Two other calculators gave him the Moon in Aquarius, and we agree.

Water sign Moons may be the most difficult to manage because we are so close to our emotions and deal with them on the lowest level. We have a strong attachment to them, and they run through our veins like blood. To detach ourselves from emotions would seem like such an alien concept, it would be more like ignoring them to us, and emotions are things that can't be ignored for very long or with very good results. When I ignore my emotions they usually just come back in force.

Comparing my own emotional process to my brother's, I know that my emotions absorb me and my reasons while his stay below him and his reasons, where they should be. I know that he lets a lot of things slide when I would revive them for some imaginary sense of justice that is both unnecessary and painful to all parties, but for some reason I can't let go.

I'm not sure if the case is the same for everyone with the Moon in a Water sign, or if it's even the same for everyone with the Moon in Scorpio, but I do know that there's a similar emotional pull between all of us.

I'm worried that my Astrology guru, Carl Payne Tobey, may have held bias against the position Moon in Cancer, as with the sign Cancer altogether. He has written that no sign is better than any other, and any time it sounded as if he was getting down on one it was his subjective bias. The articles he's written on certain signs project a crude attitude toward them. Tobey had the Moon in Capricorn, and Venus in Pisces as a Water singleton, so he may have had trouble understanding the principles of this sign.

From Astrology of Inner Space by Carl Payne Tobey, pgs. 128-129

The man with Moon in Cancer can't seem to be content to live without a woman to take care of him. For Cancer sun-sign and ascendant this is also true, but Moon in Cancer seems very pronounced in this respect. I have known a lot of such men. Very he-men in other respects, they were very much in need of a woman (mother) to take care of them at all times, to fix meals, mend socks, advise them. The moment they arrived home, the baby in them came to the surface.

[deleted quotes over 100 words against forum rules - Moderator]

Tobey worked with two other astrologers closely, both of whom had the Moon in Cancer. They were Sydney K. Bennett, and Grant Lewi, and they both felt differently about this sign.

From Astrology for the Millions by Grant Lewi, pg. 153

MOON IN CANCER​

You take yourself very seriously, as a person to be reckoned with. You feel that you understand others and that you deserve to be understood yourself; yet you frequently feel misunderstood. Things are very clear to you; your intuitions are powerful, and whether right or wrong, they convince you utterly and are likely to control your actions. Sometimes your hunches are way off track, especially if emotions are involved. You regard your inner nature as something precious, to be guarded from the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,"...

[deleted quote over 100 words against forum rules - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirongirl

Every single website I have looked at describes this position rather negatively. They are always described as lazy, moody, withdrawn homebodies who cling to all things of the past, including trivial things that seem stupid. They are also described as hypersensitive and "smothering" and overbearing in the caring department. While they are also known to have somewhat of an imagination and a sense of humor, I can't help feeling like the description of this position is the worst that I have read about, and I don't agree with it at all.

Yet the moon is such an important planet, and the Moon in Cancer is such a powerful position to me. It is at home here. I haven't known a Moon in Cancer person who fits this negative description. None of them seem annoying in the ways I have described above. In fact, I know many of them that are very happy being outside around other people, socializing with ease, and I even know one (with a sun in libra) very well who hates being at home and loves being anywhere else, otherwise she gets bored and restless.

So many famous people also have this position and don't give off this needy, clingy vibe at all. I wonder why it is portrayed so negatively and if anyone can give a more accurate description of this position and what someone's personality would be like given this position.

Moon in Cancer are best for their mothering quality. My sister have Moon in Cancer-food and cooking is her favourite discussion topic. Somehow she always ends up connecting everything with food. It is rather funny actually!! :)

Moon in Cancer are possesive in love and they are very giving. They understands others needs psychically. This is a very nice Moon sign for a woman, makes one very faminine.

dreamtimez

The Moon in Cancer readings must involve the aspects on that Moon. I have seen the Moon in Cancer undergo serious changes when associated with Saturn in Cancer. :w00t: This is perhaps the hardest combination for the sensitive Moon.

Our3Minds

More importantly is that our personalities are developed by the Signs we have in these 3 very important areas - our Rising, Moon and Sun Signs. I have discovered that our Moon is the way we Express ourselves, the Emotions that speak about the rest of ourselves. Our Feelings come through the Traits we get from our Rising and our Thoughts come through the Traits of our Sun Sign, all Expressed through the Traits we have for our Moon Sign.

My wife and daughter both have Cancer Moons and both are, at times, very emotional about what is going on in their lives. The water will flow when things aren't going the way they expect and they both express themselves in varying degrees of emotions, depending on their moods at the time.

But they also have different Rising Signs and Sun Signs, so what they "care" about is different also. Both are nurturing and care about the nest but one of the main differences that can be seen is because of my daughters Virgo Sun. She is an emotional mess when she perceives her perfect plans are not going as well as she expects. Her Virgo demands too much of her and she will become a weepy mess because of it.

I believe if she didn't have a Water Sign she wouldn't be as emotional as she is about her Virgo side. From what I have learned about people is that we are made of a "Mix" of Traits from these 3 areas - Our Rising, Moon and Sun Signs and we will respond to life based on the abilities we get from all 3. Some Signs are Sensitive, some Expressive and some Intellectual and our Being will basically follow those 3 areas based on the Signs we have in us.

our3minds.com

Attachments

• Combined.jpg
    Combined.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 53

Alayna

Hi,
I'm fairly new to astrology but I suppose I know enough to discuss moon signs :)
I think any astrological marking has what we perceive as positive and negative traits...as for the Cancer moon...it seems to me that it creates a very emotionally fertile character; this moon is exquisitely loving and affectionate, and extremely sensitive, psychic even, to the dispositions of others. A Cancer moon, in my opinion, cherishes comfort, and does to a degree, tend to collect sentimental items. But I wouldn't say this makes them hoarders. I definitely think Cancer moons are not what you would call clingy (at least the ones I know aren't), but they are intensely loyal, and unsparing in their affections (if you're lucky enough to be the receiver). Family is important to them, especially the family that they create as adults. A Cancer moon is a definite caretaker, a lover of simple pleasures. Cancer moons are deeply sensitive, and I think generally retreat when they're hurt. I think their sensitivity makes them careful not to trample on other people's feelings. There is an innocence and sincerity to the Cancer moon. Due to their vulnerability (which I consider to be a strength) they don't like to dwell upon sad facts of life, or heavy subject matter. I know a Cancer moon who really hates that she is so sensitive, but to me it's an absolutely lovely quality. Cancer moons are endowed with very, very deep hearts. They're naturally maternal.

Lost_spirit

That's weird,because my moon in Cancer never felt the need to be a parent,and dislikes cooking.I'm caring in other ways and it's true I collect memories.I can get very emotional and take things personally if something or someone scratches my sensitive spots,but other than this I'm generally very apathetic in situations where most people would cry.It's very easy for me to understand peoples feelings,but not to the point that I feel what they feel.I also can easily wear "the happy mask" and fool people.

My sister and my boyfriend also have this placement and they are not clingy,lazy or moody at all.They're the most fun people to be around.

bittermoon

I just read on the moon in Scorpio board that someone wishes their moon was in Cancer instead of Scorpio :happy:

That was most likely me! My Sun is in Cancer and I quite like it (pretty well aspected in my 5th house). My Moon in Scorpio (on the cusp of the 8th house) is usually okay for me, though sometimes it can get a bit much.

Somebody else mentioned that a water Moon could be 'problematic' (or something along those lines) in a water sign. This makes no sense. The Moon is at home in Cancer. Perhaps having the Moon in a water sign is generally seen as an emotional placement. Too bad that these days in Western society, being 'emotional' is often seen as a 'bad' thing.

SecretGarden

So many famous people also have this position and don't give off this needy, clingy vibe at all./QUOTE]

*cough* Taylor Swift *cough*

Drew Barrymore, Drake (rapper), Olivia Newton- John, Prince William and Kate Middleton, Clint Eastwood, Robin Williams, Adam Sandler, Sean Penn.. those are off the top of my head. there are some incredibly funny people on that list. None of them seem clingy to me.

Taylor Swift is young, and though she does seem to take breakups badly she seems pretty strong to me. She turns her heartbreak into catchy songs!

SecretGarden

That was most likely me! My Sun is in Cancer and I quite like it (pretty well aspected in my 5th house). My Moon in Scorpio (on the cusp of the 8th house) is usually okay for me, though sometimes it can get a bit much.

Somebody else mentioned that a water Moon could be 'problematic' (or something along those lines) in a water sign. This makes no sense. The Moon is at home in Cancer. Perhaps having the Moon in a water sign is generally seen as an emotional placement. Too bad that these days in Western society, being 'emotional' is often seen as a 'bad' thing.

Bittermoon, I agree with you. I don't see how the moon in Cancer (or any water moon) is problematic when it is in its element of domicile... that seems counter-intuitive to me. Moon in water, especially in Cancer, should be especially strong! Being "emotional" does have a bad stigma in the western world which is so unfortunate, but so many artists, actors, musicians have the water moon placement. I see it as such a positive!

Lost_spirit

Being "emotional" does have a bad stigma in the western world which is so unfortunate, but so many artists, actors, musicians have the water moon placement. I see it as such a positive!
That's the problem these days.Being emotional is actually very good,it shows that at least you have a heart.I wouldn't trade my ability to have intense feelings for a cold heart.Apart from this,I don't see how someone emotional can't be funny or happy at the same time!

Earth Sign

Okay, okay, I was the one who said the Moon in a water sign could cause problems. The Moon is particularly strong in water signs, and maybe that has it's benefits, but particularly powerful emotions can be blessings in very good disguises. Even if my Scorpio Moon has made me a powerful, imaginative person in some way, that doesn't mean it's not been hell dealing with it. Particularly powerful or sensitive emotions can make a person very creative and understanding, and perhaps ultimately intelligent, but most creative, understanding, intelligent people have suffered for it. It's like that saying that goes something like, if you're not completely insane you haven't been paying close enough attention. Maybe people with water sign moons are paying very close attention. Some people with (over?)active emotions say that they can't watch the news without crying. I cry over hearing second-hand sad animal stories. Our imagination gets to us. But heck, maybe the most worth-while things aren't ever easy. Maybe there is a correct way to use such a powerful placement, and I'm sure the people who have learned how to use it are very happy with it, but many have suffered for what they have.

I don't dislike my Scorpio Moon. I understand it. No one else does, but I do. We've been together for as long as I can remember. It would be nice if things flowed easily every now and then, though. Emotional situations, when they are personal, are tough, always a challenge. So, yes, it has been problematic. It has been powerful and difficult to control, and I've not always had an easy time of it. Just because something has many advantages does not mean that it is entirely positive. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good. But if your water sign moons have only been giving you wonderful feelings and easy living, I suppose there isn't anything more to say.

R4VEN

Particularly powerful or sensitive emotions can make a person very creative and understanding, and perhaps ultimately intelligent, but most creative, understanding, intelligent people have suffered for it.
Water moons are empathic is what you're saying, I feel .... (note I said `feel' and not `think' - that's empathy @ work :tongue:)

I don't dislike my Scorpio Moon. I understand it. No one else does, but I do. We've been together for as long as I can remember. It would be nice if things flowed easily every now and then, though. Emotional situations, when they are personal, are tough, always a challenge. So, yes, it has been problematic. It has been powerful and difficult to control, and I've not always had an easy time of it.
And Earth Sign, I'd rather have 10 Cancer Moons than one of your Scorpio Moons any day. From my perspective Cancer Moon really feels and tunes in to the emotional state of the environment, and this can sometimes be painful, and is almost always confusing, while Scorpio Moon goes so much further by wanting to act on what they feel. It's the `desire to put things right' which can drive a Scorpio Moon person to distraction. :andy:

eight8gems

In my own observations, i have noticed that when things are not going so well moon in cancer natives tend to brood and replay, obsess over every little detail, even more so when its placed in 3h.

and on the flipside, they are very empathetic and nurturing. always willing to comfort and pep you up.

gen6k

i dont mind the clinginess like trying to find someone through a crowd.

it just needs a bit more style instead of nostalgia.

what i cant work with in cancers all the time is the super-timidity when unsure or when trying to work things out. as well as staying around the house and not wanting to go out when theres parties or events.

my leo and libra friend will go to the beach and museums. my cancer best friend after he got married succeeded pretty much from many events. i would have to sit in his room to be his friend then he would go to his gfs.

cancers i think have the best sense of humor most of them arent afraid to laugh at themselves and are not narcissistic. they understand essences of humanity well and remember that Emotions are (all) emotions. my friends werent emotional or sad, sometimes they would get depressed, but they were more willing to explore avenues of self-treatment in the process through laughter, music and phenomena.

remember that jupiter is exhalted in cancer. sag and cancer both have a spiritual tone as well.

they just know easily how to touch your heart without interfering.

when something is lost in a sign for example travel and exploration, something is also gained, comfort and pure inside jokes.