20 degree of Libra

julia

Has anyone read something particularly about the 20th degree of libra and the meaning of the planet's position at this degree of libra?

dr. farr

Well, one thing: it is an elevated degree: in the old times, any planet in an elevated degree was considered to be rescued from any essential (and accidental) detriment/debility, and become amplified in its over-all influences, with the more benefic influences being made more prominent and the negative influences being greatly diminished...
(for more info about these degrees, see my earlier posting about pitted and elevated degrees by using the AW search function and entering "pitted and elevated degrees", checking the "show posts" box)

julia

Well, one thing: it is an elevated degree: in the old times, any planet in an elevated degree was considered to be rescued from any essential (and accidental) detriment/debility, and become amplified in its over-all influences, with the more benefic influences being made more prominent and the negative influences being greatly diminished...
(for more info about these degrees, see my earlier posting about pitted and elevated degrees by using the AW search function and entering "pitted and elevated degrees", checking the "show posts" box)

Dr Farr, thank you for your answer. I found interesting what you have written. I have saved this list. You wrote that there are no orbs and the planets must be at the exact degree. I have my sun at 18/27 degree at aries (1st house) and pluto at 20/27 at libra ( 7th house). I have some questions. First of all, are these degrees exact or they must be at 18 and 20 degree exactly? Secondly, pluto is retrogr. Does this mean anything? Or I should ignore it? I also read that this place of 20 degree at libra has something to do with Saturn... and the dark side of saturn... Do you have any idea of this?

Last edited:

dr. farr

Dr Farr, thank you for your answer. I found interesting what you have written. I have saved this list. You wrote that there are no orbs and the planets must be at the exact degree. I have my sun at 18/27 degree at aries (1st house) and pluto at 20/27 at libra ( 7th house). I have some questions. First of all, are these degrees exact or they must be at 18 and 20 degree exactly? Secondly, pluto is retrogr. Does this mean anything? Or I should ignore it? I also read that this place of 20 degree at libra has something to do with Saturn... and the dark side of saturn... Do you have any idea of this?

-the pit or elevation is the entire degree: for example, the 18th degree would include 18degr00min through 18degr59min; the 20th degree would include 20degr00min through 20degr59min.
-direct or rx motion of planets as such make no difference as far as the pit or elevation is concerned: the pit means the planet is largely neutralized (deprived of influence of any kind); the elevation means that the planet's influence is amplified AND that the constructive, benefic qualities get an emphasis (over any disruptive or malefic influences) So if an rx planet is in an elevated degree, some of the disruptive/impeding influence of the rx state of that planet would be favorable modified (to a certain extent)
-I am unaware of 20Libra being connected with Saturn: it is not in the term/bound of Saturn either by Ptolemy or Egyptian terms (I myself do not consider the terms/bounds in my delineations), it's not under Saturn dispositorship by Face (its under the Face of Jupiter) or by decans (the 3rd elemental decan of Libra is Gemini under Mercury; the 3rd Manilius decan of Libra is Sagittarius under Jupiter), the duodenary is the 9th, under Gemini/Mercury...so, no, I don't see any Saturn* connection involving this degree.

*someone using the old-style sign/degree numeration system might have seen 20Libra as under the Face of Saturn and in a "dark" degree: however, this is incorrect when using modern sign/numeration (our 20Libra would be listed as 21Libra in the old numeration charts; the skyscript list, mentioned in Skillcoil's post, is an example of the uncorrected, old-style sign/degree numeration system, and perhaps is the origin of the incorrect allocation of 20Libra to Saturn (note the correction of the degrees into their modern numeration which is attached to the skyscript list) Another possible cause of mentioning Saturn with 20Libra is that Saturn is exalted at 20Libra-however, this is not a connection of that degree, as such, with Saturn-rather it represents a special effect of that degree upon Saturn when Saturn is actually posited in that degree.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Dr. farr, I've read several of your comments about "pitted and elevated" degrees, and I searched for information about it online. I found it mentioned in traditional astrology, does it make a difference if it's a day or night chart?
This is specifically what I've been looking at...
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/deginf1.html

-no, it makes no difference whether the chart is day or night relative to the pitted and elevated degrees

-I have problems with the skyscript list:
-its given in the old-style sign/numeration (no 0 degree; signs start at 1 and end at 30), which can lead to confusion relative to the charts we use today
-it uses the Al-Biruni pits (there called "deep degrees") and elevations (there called "degrees of increasing fortune") I prefer the Ibn Ezra list to Al-Biruni's, and that is what I posted in the Natal forum under the Dignities & Debilities section in the thread entitled "Elevated and Pitted Degrees", qv.

Last edited:

julia

Dr Farr, I was looking exactly this answer to my question. I can not paste the link where I read them because it is written in greek...I will translate them in english and I will send you in pm.
Thank you Jsummerfield. My life is full of books...This is true.
Thank you Astrologer50 for the links...