Random Political Chat - Text Only No Memes

Oddity

Is that unprecedented?

I looked it up. It's not uncommon with federal warrants, and one possible reason is to hide the identity of a confidential informant.
I think we can consider the situation exceptional. How many times has a sealed warrant existed to raid the house of a former PRESIDENT, fercryinoutloud? Just this once.

Hey, I like Trump. But if he's done something wildly illegal, go after him. I'm fine with that. I'm not fine with gestapo tactics and total silence. People have the right to know what's going on.

BTW, Dersh, who is by no means a Trump supporter, agrees with me:

david starling

Intimidation tactics.

But, what if there is a confidential informant?!? :oops:

Another reason for a sealed warrant is to avoid any interference with an "ongoing investigation".

The F.B.I. has had an "unsavory" reputation since J. Edgar Hoover, its first director, who held that position for 48 years!

Last edited:

david starling

My real problem with Trump in the role of President: Too divisive.

I don't recall any talk about "Civil War" before he came into office.

I notice there aren't riots in the streets since he left office.

david starling

"Worst President" HAS to go to Bush Jr.

His invasion of Iraq destabilized and devastated the Middle East, and caused the creation of "Terrorism" worldwide, including the rise of al Qaeda and its offshoot the Islamic State.

He also created the "Department of Homeland Security", which I, for one, don't think was necessary or good for the country.

Last edited:

blackbery

Donald J. Trump@realDonaldTrump
  • In early June, the DOJ and FBI asked my legal representatives to put an extra lock on the door leading to the place where boxes were stored in Mar-a-Lago – We agreed. They were shown the secured area, and the boxes themselves. Then on Monday, without notification or warning, an army of agents broke into Mar-a-Lago, went to the same storage area, and ripped open the lock that they had asked to be installed. A surprise attack, POLITICS, and all the while our Country is going to HELL!

blackbery

• The FBI and others from the Federal Government would not let anyone, including my lawyers, be anywhere near the areas that were rummaged and otherwise looked at during the raid on Mar-a-Lago. Everyone was asked to leave the premises, they wanted to be left alone, without any witnesses to see what they were doing, taking or, hopefully not, “planting.” Why did they STRONGLY insist on having nobody watching them, everybody out? Obama and Clinton were never “raided,” despite big disputes!

david starling

• The FBI and others from the Federal Government would not let anyone, including my lawyers, be anywhere near the areas that were rummaged and otherwise looked at during the raid on Mar-a-Lago. Everyone was asked to leave the premises, they wanted to be left alone, without any witnesses to see what they were doing, taking or, hopefully not, “planting.” Why did they STRONGLY insist on having nobody watching them, everybody out? Obama and Clinton were never “raided,” despite big disputes!
In 2018, Trump upped the severity of penalties for taking documents by former Presidents, so that wouldn't have applied previously.

Oddity

My real problem with Trump in the role of President: Too divisive.

I don't recall any talk about "Civil War" before he came into office.

I notice there aren't riots in the streets since he left office.
I agree that divisiveness is Trump's worst flaw. But I don't think an armed raid with a sealed warrant is helping to cure that. It's just making it worse. Then again, that's what the powers that be likely want. So much easier if we kill each other than them having to do it.

Rats in a cage, David.

david starling

This article says Trump had received a Grand Jury subpoena back in Spring about returning "sensitive documents".

Also, that Attorney General Garland has asked and received "permission" from a court to publicly unseal the warrant, due to the media outcry, and that Trump's lawyers have already had it in their possession. Judge Reinhardt, who approved the warrant, ordered the DOJ to "respond to a request" by an outside party (Judicial Watch) to unseal the warrant by Aug.15th. Apparently, Garland will be happy to unseal it, if Trump's attorneys, who already have a copy of the warrant, are willing to allow it.

Might be redacted?:unsure:

Last edited:

david starling

I think what I'll call the "Acrimony Index" in the U.S. is high, especially because of hyperbole on both sides, but not as high as it was when JFK was assassinated.

Using the made-up acronym "TDS" referring to hatred of Trump by his political opponents, and applying that to Kennedy, "KDS" was much more virulent.

Last edited:

blackbery

"The FBI is Beyond Redemption"​

Victor Hanson: 'We Don't Have Rule of Law in Washington ... FBI is Beyond Redemption' -😭😭

Hanson, who was awarded the National Humanities Medal by President George W. Bush, made his remarks on the Aug. 9 edition of FNC's Tucker Carlson Tonight.
Cain asked Hanson why the FBI raided Mar-a-Lago and why were they targeting Trump.

"Well, they're afraid in the short term," he said, in reference to the Democrats and the left, "but in the long term they believe they're morally superior to America, and therefore any means necessary or justifiable for their morally superior ends."
"And right now, we don't have the rule of law in Washington," said Hanson.
"Whether you're targeted or exempt depends on your ideology."😏😏

Hanson, the professor emeritus of Classics at California State University-Fresno, is the author of 22 books.

He continued, "So in the past when there was a dispute over the Archives or presidential papers, Barack Obama just said, 'I'm not going to turn them over to the Freedom of Information. He spent $30 million resisting efforts to do that. George Bush had an Executive Order and said, 'You know what, I'm not going to do this.' And that was adjudicated."

"Now we go after a president and go to his house with 30 agents," said Hanson. "In the past, when a high official was called for a congressional subpoena, Eric Holder just said, 'I'm not going and I'm not turning over any of this fast and furious.'"
"The idea that you would put him in shackles or you confront him with his family and grab his phone is just ridiculous," said Hanson. "But this is what we're doing on an ideological basis."

"And when you start to do that, you don't have a democracy anymore," he added. "And I don't think we do."☹️☹️☹️

As for the FBI, Hanson remarked, "I never thought I would say this: The FBI is beyond redemption.
It is -- all of its bureaus and its institutions that have to be farmed out and broken up. If you have a warrant, an FBI warrant, there is no guarantee that that has not been altered. If you subpoena and you want FBI records on phones ... they will be wiped clean."
"We just saw [FBI Director] Christopher Wray and he just stonewalled every question and then he flew on an FBI plane, our plane, a luxury jet because he had to go to his own vacation spot. He took over, remember, from Andrew McCabe -- what did he do? He lied four times to federal investigators, and his wife was running for an office with Clinton-related PAC money while he was investigating Hillary Clinton's e-mail scandal."
"[McCabe] took over from James Comey who leaked confidential memos written on FBI devices to the media," added Hanson, "and then when he was called before Congress, on 245 occasions, he said, he didn't know or didn't remember."😆

"All of this is destroying this country," said Hanson. "And it comes from the people who warned us democracy dies in darkness, and they have descended upon us, the greatest cloud of autocracy and illiberality in the history of this Republic. ...

[L]et's pray to God the Republicans can save us."

Oddity

Any talk about "the Republicans SAVING us" is HH (Hilarious Hyperbole). Unless it's about saving the billionaires from having to pay more taxes! :lol:
The Republicans voted against the new IRS expenditures to audit basically poor and lower-middle-class people. The Dems, to a man, voted to pass that part of the bill - 80,000 new (and armed) IRS agents.

The parties have changed a bit since we were young.

david starling

The Republicans voted against the new IRS expenditures to audit basically poor and lower-middle-class people. The Dems, to a man, voted to pass that part of the bill - 80,000 new (and armed) IRS agents.

The parties have changed a bit since we were young.

It's a balancing act. We need both Parties in an oppositional system. When one gets too powerful, there's an imbalance. But when they're in full agreement, watch out!

Nothing's really changed as far as I can see. One example of a Republican doing something remarkably good imo was Utah Republican, Senator Orin Hatch, who somehow blocked a bill that would have outlawed the sale of vitamins, herbs and minerals without a doctor's prescription. Meanwhile, the Democrats did well by taking away the "preexisting conditions" loophole for health insurance companies.

The Republicans have always opposed higher taxes, and the Republicans have always been against Govt spending that benefits the less affluent. But, it's the more libertarian of the two Parties on some things, like when it opposes vaxx mandates.

Republicans tend to be more religious-oriented, always trying to blur the line between Church and State.

Seems to me it's about time to legalize cannabis at the Federal level, and leave it up to the States to decide. I recently found out that it's Republicans in the Senate blocking that--it's always been the least libertarian when it comes to personal use of marijuana, even though it's supposedly the "State's Rights" Party.

Democrats are generally better on the Environment than Republicans, which is one my major concerns.

And, so on. Being anti-China was a major Republican cause. They felt betrayed by Nixon, a Republican, when he recognized Red China. They're still accusing the Democrats of being too friendly with China.

Just saying I don't see much difference between Liberals and Conservatives then and now.