Do you think the Solar return chart is strongest from natal birth place, or where you are located at the time of the Solar Return?

Wandering_Soul

I've read that many astrologers have different opinions about this, some saying where you were born will always be the strongest, some saying where you are at the time of the Solar return will have the most effect.

I've a Solar Return this year where my chart has MC almost directly opposite my SUN (Sun conj IC) and Saturn is tightly conjunct MC. The SR Ascendant is at 28.34deg Gem but no really close aspects. I could go on a holiday for my birthday to move the ASC to 27.40deg so it makes a very close 72deg quintile aspect to the moon a very close Trine aspect to my natal mars and a semi-sextile aspect to the SR mars: but this would cause the conjunction with IC & Sun to become not as close, plus I would lose a 45deg semi-square from Jupiter to MC. It would also make the conjunction from MC to Saturn become very close.

Can anyone also give me their opinion on the Solar return chart if I relocated in say 4 months time, would the new place I go make any difference to the Solar return chart at all?

rrgrtgrtr.png

dfdfdfdfdf.png

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
I'd use where you live at the time of your solar return as the primary indicator. If you're on a trip, the chart for your trip location adds a new note, but it isn't what you'll be living under the rest of the year. It's probably going to mostly manifest during your trip.

If you move during the year, you get a chance to experiment, by reflecting later in the year. Look at your solar return chart for where you lived at the time of your solar return, then cast one for where you moved to. Note how the houses change. Note which houses are and aren't emphasized in each location. Look to the house of SR Moon: that describes your primary emotional focus. Look at your SR ascendant: what natal house does it fall in? Is it conjunct a natal or SR planet? Those details are another focal point.

Themes will emerge. If you move far enough east or west to significantly change your solar return houses (north/south moves don't change them much, and neither do short distance moves in any direction), compare the themes. Which did you see manifesting in your life? Did you experience one kind of theme more in your old location and the other more in your new one?

Birth place solar return charts can also be useful, because there are certain ways the houses change year to year that reflect the undercurrents of your life. But if you want to see what's going on for you on the ground, which is usually what people are looking for in solar return readings, the chart for where you live is most relevant.

Wandering_Soul

I'd use where you live at the time of your solar return as the primary indicator. If you're on a trip, the chart for your trip location adds a new note, but it isn't what you'll be living under the rest of the year. It's probably going to mostly manifest during your trip.

If you move during the year, you get a chance to experiment, by reflecting later in the year. Look at your solar return chart for where you lived at the time of your solar return, then cast one for where you moved to. Note how the houses change. Note which houses are and aren't emphasized in each location. Look to the house of SR Moon: that describes your primary emotional focus. Look at your SR ascendant: what natal house does it fall in? Is it conjunct a natal or SR planet? Those details are another focal point.

Themes will emerge. If you move far enough east or west to significantly change your solar return houses (north/south moves don't change them much, and neither do short distance moves in any direction), compare the themes. Which did you see manifesting in your life? Did you experience one kind of theme more in your old location and the other more in your new one?

Birth place solar return charts can also be useful, because there are certain ways the houses change year to year that reflect the undercurrents of your life. But if you want to see what's going on for you on the ground, which is usually what people are looking for in solar return readings, the chart for where you live is most relevant.
Thanks for the info Osamenor. So if I went camping for a few days to change the angles a little you think the place I live / have been living would be the stronger?

Here's the Solar Return chart for the place I'd like to relocate to, it doesn't look so good and has some squares to ASC and MC (The actual relocation chart is good)

fgdfgdfgfdfghfghfhgf.png

Osamenor

Staff member
Thanks for the info Osamenor. So if I went camping for a few days to change the angles a little you think the place I live / have been living would be the stronger?

Definitely. For one thing, a few days' camping trip isn't that far from home, unless you're taking a plane to your campsite. If it's the more typical camping within a day's drive of home, your houses won't change significantly.

For another, you're not moving to your campsite, just visiting briefly. That doesn't change the outlook for your year ahead. At most, it might shift your focus during your trip. A getaway at any old time, birthday or no, does that. Regarding your solar return chart, you could see a slight shift in where your angles are at your trip location, which could slightly alter the focus: if, for example, you've got your SR AC on your natal Saturn in your home solar return chart, something Saturnian is demanding your attention. That demand won't go away just because you take a trip, but it will probably be off your mind, or at least on the back burner, during your trip. And then, of course, you come back refreshed (hopefully!) which allows you to deal with things better. In the Saturn example, maybe the Saturnian stuff going on for you would feel less heavy and more manageable.

Here's the Solar Return chart for the place I'd like to relocate to, it doesn't look so good and has some squares to ASC and MC (The actual relocation chart is good)

The meat of your solar return chart is how it aspects your natal chart. Just the solar return chart alone doesn't tell us much.

No matter where your solar return chart is cast for, the planets are at the same zodiacal degrees and making the same aspects to your natal chart. The houses are just icing on the cake. A different kind of icing might make the cake taste a little different, but it doesn't change the flavor of the cake.