Scorpio rising - progression

LunarLioness00

Account Closed
Hello Osamenor do you think this thread could be moved to an astrology thread as opposed to a chat thread please?

These kind Astro friends have suggested it gets moved to get more insights to learn.

Osamenor

Staff member
Hello Osamenor do you think this thread could be moved to an astrology thread as opposed to a chat thread please?

These kind Astro friends have suggested it gets moved to get more insights to learn.

If you want a moderator's attention, flag the thread you want attended to and/or send a pm to said moderator. That's the only way we're guaranteed to see it. Someone else alerted me to this.

Thread moved.

Osamenor

Staff member
I’m not sure. Sorry I missed your post. I’m quite new so still learning lots. Does traditional cover progressions or is this a modern thing

My understanding is that progressions are part of both traditional and modern astrology, but modern astrologers use them more. Trad has lots of other predictive methods that modern astrologers use very little or not at all. So, modern astrologers put more use into one tool.

Furthermore, traditional astrology doesn't deal with the psychological side of astrology, while in modern astrology, that's one of the primary focuses. Progressions are great for psychological astrology: they can show how a person evolves psychologically over their life. At the same time, they're also a predictive tool, one way to look at what's happening in your life.

Last edited:

LunarLioness00

Account Closed
My understanding is that progressions are part of both traditional and modern astrology, but modern astrologers use them more. Trad has lots of other predictive methods that modern astrologers use very little or not at all. So, modern astrologers put more use into one tool.

Furthermore, traditional astrology doesn't deal with the psychological side of astrology, while in modern astrology, that's one of the primary focuses. Progressions are great for psychological astrology: they can show how a person evolves psychologically over their life. At the same time, they're also a predictive tool, one way to look at what's happening in your life.

Hi Osamenor, from your experiences are progressions valid? I think when you gave me insights In another thread about my chart. So I suppose it is valid. I mean there is so much to look at. Astrology has so many layers. It seems like it would take a life time to understand it all. Progressions, Draconic, transits, natal. Horary etc. is 2nd progression the same as progressions? Horary has gone right over my head. Where do you start. I’ve ordered This book for horary now.

Osamenor

Staff member
Hi Osamenor, from your experiences are progressions valid? I think when you gave me insights In another thread about my chart. So I suppose it is valid.
You just answered that question from your own experience! That's the truly valid answer.

I mean there is so much to look at. Astrology has so many layers. It seems like it would take a life time to understand it all.
It does. And then some. No lifetime, even a long one, even if you start young, is enough to understand it all.

is 2nd progression the same as progressions?
There's more than one kind of progression. Secondary progression is the most commonly used kind today, so "progressions" has become shorthand for secondary progressions. If someone says, "my progressed Venus..." without specifying what kind of progression they mean, it's a safe assumption that they mean secondary.

The only other kind of progression that's used fairly commonly is solar arc. Generally, when people talk about solar arc progression, they specify solar arc, or SA.

Other kinds of progressions exist besides those two, but they're pretty much obsolete.

Progressions, Draconic, transits, natal. Horary etc.
Horary has gone right over my head.

Horary goes over everyone's head, when they're new to astrology. It's extremely complex, and it has a high learning curve.

Where do you start. I’ve ordered This book for horary now.
Before you learn anything else, you need a good working knowledge of signs, houses, planets, and aspects. All astrology is built on that. How well would you say you understand those?

Last edited:

LunarLioness00

Account Closed
You just answered that question from your own experience! That's the truly valid answer.

It does. And then some. No lifetime, even a long one, even if you start young, is enough to understand it all.

There's more than one kind of progression. Secondary progression is the most commonly used kind today, so "progressions" has become shorthand for secondary progressions. If someone says, "my progressed Venus..." without specifying what kind of progression they mean, it's a safe assumption that they mean secondary.

The only other kind of progression that's used fairly commonly is solar arc. Generally, when people talk about solar arc progression, they specify solar arc, or SA.

Other kinds of progressions exist besides those two, but they're pretty much obsolete.

Horary goes over everyone's head, when they're new to astrology. It's extremely complex, and it has a high learning curve.

Before you learn anything else, you need a good working knowledge of signs, houses, planets, and aspects. All astrology is built on that. How well would you say you understand those?

Appreciate your feedback and answers Osamenor.

My knowledge - I have an understanding of the 12 houses. I thought It was a good understanding until I came on here and seen some complicated chat about secondary house rulers. Dignities etc. I can use Asti.com and get my birth chart. I understand the ascendant and the planets. And what I mean by that is I can name the planets and which sign they rule. I know a little about sextile and trines, squares etc but a basic understanding as in their names, they exist and basic meaning of these. I know a little here and there but nothing at a deeper level
Another question- when you say solar arc is that the solar return?

Osamenor

Staff member
Another question- when you say solar arc is that the solar return?

No. Solar return is not a form of progression. Solar arc is.

Solar arc progression is, in a way a fake chart: it's a chart that does not match what the sky has ever looked like at any given time. To get a solar arc progression chart, you progress the sun one day for every year and everything else one degree for every year. So, let's say our native has their natal sun at 1 degree Libra, their Mercury at 28 Virgo, and their Venus at 20 Libra. On their first birthday, their sun is at 2 Libra, their Mercury at 29 Virgo, and their Venus at 21 Libra. All other planets in their chart also progress forward that way.

That's using the sun's average progression: on average, the sun moves one degree every 24 hours. But that's average. It's slightly faster in some signs and slightly slower in others.

Secondary progression progresses everything a day per year. When you're one year old, your secondary progressed chart is how the planets were aligned when you were one day old. When you're 40, your secondary progressed chart is how the planets were aligned when you were 40 days old.

Solar return is the chart for the moment when the sun returns to the exact degree and minute it was at when you were born. That happens every year, on your birthday give or take a day or two. Unlike secondary and solar arc progressions, solar return isn't a progressed chart.

LunarLioness00

Account Closed
No. Solar return is not a form of progression. Solar arc is.

Solar arc progression is, in a way a fake chart: it's a chart that does not match what the sky has ever looked like at any given time. To get a solar arc progression chart, you progress the sun one day for every year and everything else one degree for every year. So, let's say our native has their natal sun at 1 degree Libra, their Mercury at 28 Virgo, and their Venus at 20 Libra. On their first birthday, their sun is at 2 Libra, their Mercury at 29 Virgo, and their Venus at 21 Libra. All other planets in their chart also progress forward that way.

That's using the sun's average progression: on average, the sun moves one degree every 24 hours. But that's average. It's slightly faster in some signs and slightly slower in others.

Secondary progression progresses everything a day per year. When you're one year old, your secondary progressed chart is how the planets were aligned when you were one day old. When you're 40, your secondary progressed chart is how the planets were aligned when you were 40 days old.

Solar return is the chart for the moment when the sun returns to the exact degree and minute it was at when you were born. That happens every year, on your birthday give or take a day or two. Unlike secondary and solar arc progressions, solar return isn't a progressed chart.

Ok. Thanks. I need to start basic and work my way to all this I have gathered! Again this site will help. Everyone including you, especially you have been kind and helpful. 😊😊

Osamenor

Staff member
What do you want your astrology learning to focus on? What do you most want astrology to tell you?

Are you more interested in the predictive side of astrology, or the psychological side?

There's more than one way to approach even basic astrology. Where to start depends on how you answer those questions. Either way, it's about learning planets, signs, houses, and aspects, but different methods are better for different focuses.

Either way, don't try to wrap your mind around progressions or transits until you've grasped those basics. It will only confuse you. Leave horary even later. It really takes a solid understanding of transits to be able to understand horary. The meat of a horary chart is what planets are forming aspects to what other planets, and whether those aspects are applying or separating. That, in turn, is the same principle that transits operate on. When you understand transits, you're primed to understand horary.

Meanwhile, if you want your own transits and progressions and horary questions explored, get more advanced astrologers to help you.

LunarLioness00

Account Closed
What do you want your astrology learning to focus on? What do you most want astrology to tell you?

Are you more interested in the predictive side of astrology, or the psychological side?

There's more than one way to approach even basic astrology. Where to start depends on how you answer those questions. Either way, it's about learning planets, signs, houses, and aspects, but different methods are better for different focuses.

Either way, don't try to wrap your mind around progressions or transits until you've grasped those basics. It will only confuse you. Leave horary even later. It really takes a solid understanding of transits to be able to understand horary. The meat of a horary chart is what planets are forming aspects to what other planets, and whether those aspects are applying or separating. That, in turn, is the same principle that transits operate on. When you understand transits, you're primed to understand horary.

Meanwhile, if you want your own transits and progressions and horary questions explored, get more advanced astrologers to help you.

Im interested in both psychology and predictive but to start with I will look at psychology. Then can move on. I will the advanced astrologers. Good idea

Osamenor

Staff member
For a highly accessible beginners' book, I recommend Steven Forrest's The Inner Sky. It covers signs, planets, houses, and aspects in a highly understandable way, and makes the complex simple enough to grasp.

Forrest is an evolutionary astrologer. His perspective is modern, psychological, and based on the idea that a lifetime is about the evolution of the soul. Works well for the psychological side of astrology, but not so much for horary. If you're going to learn horary, you need more of a traditional perspective. But there's always time for that later.

He also wrote a book about progressions and transits, The Changing Sky. It's a good, accessible next step, after you've grasped planet, sign, house, and aspects.

LunarLioness00

Account Closed
For a highly accessible beginners' book, I recommend Steven Forrest's The Inner Sky. It covers signs, planets, houses, and aspects in a highly understandable way, and makes the complex simple enough to grasp.

Forrest is an evolutionary astrologer. His perspective is modern, psychological, and based on the idea that a lifetime is about the evolution of the soul. Works well for the psychological side of astrology, but not so much for horary. If you're going to learn horary, you need more of a traditional perspective. But there's always time for that later.

He also wrote a book about progressions and transits, The Changing Sky. It's a good, accessible next step, after you've grasped planet, sign, house, and aspects.

Great!! I’m gonna order these on Amazon. Appreciate the guidance as usual 😊