Moon compatibility

Libres

Everywhere I look I hear really negative things about incompatible signs. I am wondering, what can make up for the lack of moon compatibility in a natal chart? Which aspects to which planets/houses etc.

Osamenor

Staff member
Those negative things aren't necessarily true. Compatible moon signs--trine, sextile, or same sign--make it extra easy to understand each other's deep emotional and security needs, and suggest that what you and the other person most want in the home is similar, which helps if you're making a home together. (However, having the same moon sign, or trine moon signs, can also be a double edged sword: it can contribute to a "you're too much like me" dynamic.)

Not having such a smooth and easy combination of moon signs doesn't doom the relationship. It just means you'll probably need to work more at understanding each other's needs, since it doesn't come so naturally, and if you live together, there may be greater need for compromise and conscious communication to make the living arrangement work.

Last edited:

wan

You can also have your moon on one of the angles of your partner's chart despite not having compatible moon signs. In fact having the moon in the other's 4th house is very similar to the energy of moon conjunct moon. This is also the reason why some couples with seemingly incompatible moon signs manage to stay together for a long time.

Libres

Those negative things aren't necessarily true. Compatible moon signs--trine, sextile, or same sign--make it extra easy to understand each other's deep emotional and security needs, and suggest that what you and the other person most want in the home is similar, which helps if you're making a home together. (However, having the same moon sign, or trine moon signs, can also be a double edged sword: it can contribute to a "you're too much like me" dynamic.)

Not having such a smooth and easy combination of moon signs doesn't doom the relationship. It just means you'll probably need to work more at understanding each other's needs, since it doesn't come so naturally, and if you live together, there may be greater need for compromise and conscious communication to make the living arrangement work.

This is a very good answer, thank you.

Libres

You can also have your moon on one of the angles of your partner's chart despite not having compatible moon signs. In fact having the moon in the other's 4th house is very similar to the energy of moon conjunct moon. This is also the reason why some couples with seemingly incompatible moon signs manage to stay together for a long time.

Thanks for the insight, in this case, their moon is in my 3rd and mine is in their 8th.

Osamenor

Staff member

For a sexual relationship, having moons in each other's sex-related houses can also help. My longest one--ten years, a very deeply sexual relationship the whole time--came with "incompatible" moon signs (Taurus for him and Sagittarius for me) but his moon was in my fifth house and mine in his eighth. Our charts also had lots of other fifth and eighth house synastry.

Those "hard" dynamics in synastry can actually help to create a lot of chemistry.

wan

Yes, I forgot about the other relationship-themed houses (like the 5th and 8th you mentioned). They are also very good places for the moon to be in.

Libres

For a sexual relationship, having moons in each other's sex-related houses can also help. My longest one--ten years, a very deeply sexual relationship the whole time--came with "incompatible" moon signs (Taurus for him and Sagittarius for me) but his moon was in my fifth house and mine in his eighth. Our charts also had lots of other fifth and eighth house synastry.

Those "hard" dynamics in synastry can actually help to create a lot of chemistry.

Those are some good points too! Thanks, it seems that synastry is not black and white.

CapAquaPis

Yes, I forgot about the other relationship-themed houses (like the 5th and 8th you mentioned). They are also very good places for the moon to be in.

What about my 8th moon conjunct sun in Aquarius? I tend to not have much romantic and sexual experience in my life, although I had girlfriends in my 21 years of my adult life (I'm 40 now). The combo square my Uranus in 5th.

Osamenor

Staff member
What about my 8th moon conjunct sun in Aquarius? I tend to not have much romantic and sexual experience in my life, although I had girlfriends in my 21 years of my adult life (I'm 40 now). The combo square my Uranus in 5th.

What does that have to do with moon compatibility in synastry?

swanswings

Everywhere I look I hear really negative things about incompatible signs. I am wondering, what can make up for the lack of moon compatibility in a natal chart? Which aspects to which planets/houses etc.

Blessings to you and all whom you know.

What do you mean, "Everywhere I look?" Please give a specific example.

The Moon is central to Hindu/Vedic astrology, and its position in the lunar mansions is one of the primary ways of assessing relationships.

Although there are 12 signs of the zodiac, there 27 (or 28) lunar mansion, so at least 27 different Moon signs.

The Hindu/Vedic system uses the sidereal zodiac. You can learn your Moon sign here:

https://www.mpanchang.com/astrology/moon-sign-calculator/

or here:

https://www.astrosage.com/moonSign.asp

Best wishes.