PDA

View Full Version : need help determining ruler/strongest planet

hermetic
05-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I've tried to do some calculating myself, with the help of the tables of essential dignities but it got me nowhere. I simply can't understand properly how to... so if anyone cares to take a look and solve this mystery - which is the strongest planet in my chart? is it the same as chart ruler? also, what does lord of geniture means?

Many thanks! :)

Miss Saturn
05-23-2008, 12:03 PM
The Moon looks pretty strong to me, it is chart ruler but also receives a lot of aspects from the other planets, also picture wise it really stands out to me. Do you think the emotional side of life is prominent for you through group ideals, friendships, independence. This is from a more modern perspective a traditional astrologer on the he boards may say another planet :) .

hermetic
05-26-2008, 09:47 PM
^ I was thinking Moon too, but I wanted to hear someone more experienced... How about Saturn?

Do you think the emotional side of life is prominent for you through group ideals, friendships, independence.

Well, it should be by a description of Moon in Aquarius, right? But I sooo do not fit into there. I am all about one-on-one relationiships, emotional, hopeless romantic. I probably go better in Moon in the 7th house description.
Friendships ar where the hurt comes from(Chiron 11th), independence scares me(Cancer asc perhaps?), group ideals are way to abstract and impersonal for me to connect to... :o

Thank you a lot for replying...

Kaiousei no Senshi
05-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Yes, it's most likely Saturn. The table of essential and accidental dignities is what you need to be looking at when attempting to calculate LoGs. This table is given on SkyScript somewhere, don't have time to hunt for it, sorry. :(

also, what does lord of geniture means?

The Lord of Genture is the ruler of any astrological chart. This planet pulls the most weight in that it has the most power and has the most say on what's going on in the life of a native or a situation. Particularly in natal charts and such predictions based off of them (transits, progressions, whathaveyou), when things happen to the LoG, the world shakes.

Julie
05-27-2008, 09:14 AM
You also have a lot of planets in Libra along with Moon in 7th which indicates the one-on-one relationships which you describe. Pluto squares your Moon in Aquarius which would add a more Scorpio tone to your Moon. If you work through each placement in your chart, bit by bit, which takes more than a few minutes most of us glance at the chart on here, you will start to see repeating themes throughout the chart.

You say relationships are your main focus, the air quality is strong in your chart. Although Libra does dominate, Aquarius will still factor somewhere In your personality. How have you been hurt in friendships, we could still factor the Pluto/Moon/Aquarius for these feelings. You have a lot of aspects to the Moon, and it will be active in your life.

Try to find a few hours to go through the chart, and you will see your predominating themes. There are reports from astrodienst which are good for balancing the chart factors, the reports take a more psychological approach. I have found them helpful. If you haven't got the money for a report it is really worthwhile to start going through the chart yourself, you will enjoy it. :)

Julie
05-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Some notes on your chart I made.

Strongest Element/Mode Air/Cardinal Libra

Dispositor of all Librian planets Venus in Virgo 3rd.

Sun Libra 4th/on angle makes planet strong.

Moon Aquarius/7th singleton in upper hemisphere

Asc Cancer/chart ruler in Aquarius/7th

Most planets in the 4th house Libra/also a few planets in the 5th house. Most planets fall in 2nd quadrant.

Saturn well placed in Libra/Sun in Fall in Libra

Challenging planet aspects:

Moon square Jupiter
Moon square Pluto

Mercury R Conjunct Saturn in Libra.

Venus square Neptune. (Venus singleton in earth)

Saturn Conjunct Pluto in Libra.

After what you said about relationship being important and going through the chart Libra is pretty strong with some more cancerian/Moon elements/4th house.

You see it takes a little bit of time to go through all the factors astrologically but a picture does emerge. You know yourself best, and you are relationship focused which would be Libra with Venus ruling a lot of your planets add Moon in 7th. There is a strong 4th house emphasis.

All placements to research further. :)

astro.teacher
05-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Hermetic,

I wont answer this one for you since I think (from your posts) you are smart enough to figure this one out on your own but I will help you;

First you need to follow the table of dignities laid out here;

http://www.antiquus-astrology.com/Chap2-8.html

You must go through each item on the table, working from either side and adding up the points on either side of the chart. This will give you two numbers, the number of dignities you must then subtract from the number of debilities. The one with the highest number will be considered your strongest planet as it has the most dignities. This will also help you calculate your weakest planet as well. If you have any questions as to what a certain dignity/debility is, feel free to ask. Its very easy once you get it.

hermetic
05-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks everyone :)

Julie, thank you for taking the time and writing that all, I never knew Moon square Pluto can add a Scorpio traits to Moon, but it makes sense. (But is this really to be considered as square, since I always figured over 8 degrees + separating aspect + in different quality-fixed/cardinal??? :confused:)

astro.teacher, funny you posted that exact link, I was calculating this right before starting this thread actually, heh... I was confused by it, had no clue what I was doing. The thing is, I used to be really good at this, some 3-4 years ago, I remember calculating strongest planets easily. For my chart, it was always Saturn, by far. Now, I did this again, concentrating to my best ability and it turned out to be Saturn again(+15). Except I am not sure I didn't miss out on something...
I've done the homework, would you please tell me am I right?

Just a quick question regarding mutual reception - are my Virgo Venus and Libra Mercury in mutual reception? do they both get +5 for this?

Julie
05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
I would consider Moon/Pluto an aspect but a lot of astrologer's wouldn't. Liz Greene uses a 10 degree orb, other astrologers like Lyn Birkbeck, and Donna Cunningham use 8 degrees. Although the orbs for the Sun or Moon are often stretched. You can decide whether you feel this aspect or not. :)

Kaiousei no Senshi
05-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Luna/Pluto aspects should be about 8.75° either way. 12.5+5= 17.5 17.5/2=8.75

astro.teacher
05-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Hermetic,

I've done the homework, would you please tell me am I right?

What dignities and debilities on that list does Saturn possess and ill let you know if you were right.

Just a quick question regarding mutual reception - are my Virgo Venus and Libra Mercury in mutual reception? do they both get +5 for this?

Yes they are and yes they do.

blueheron
05-28-2008, 05:02 PM
The Venus/Neptune square stand out. It's a cluster chart, with Venus in high focus. Mars is also strong as it's in it's own sign in the sidereal zodiac.

hermetic
05-28-2008, 05:51 PM
wow, now you're all getting me even more confused... ;P

blueheron, I always considered my Venus pretty weak, detriment in Virgo and troubled by Neptune. I still haven't figured out how to make it work in good ways with this particular aspect. any suggestions?
Mars I am not feeling at all - very rare outbursts of energy. maybe being female, I simply don't know how to integrate it in a socially acceptable ways

astro.teacher, I calculated
+4 for exaltation,
+4 for being in the 4th House,
+4 for direct motion,
+5 for conj Spica,
and -2 for being occidental(if I got that one right)

so...?

astro.teacher
05-28-2008, 06:47 PM
It seems that everything is right, your Almuten/Lord of the Geniture is Saturn if that is the highest scorning Planet.

blueheron
05-28-2008, 07:22 PM
The planet leading counterclockwise into the remainder of the chart is considered to be in high focus for cluster and bowl charts. In your chart venus is in high focus.

Venus is strong, but with Neptune it indicates a spiritual "love" rather than an earthly one. Neptune/Venus fall in love with love, and then is seriously disillusioned when the romance breaks up.

However, an innate capacity for "universal love," would be featured.

Mars is strong because it is in it's own sign in the Vedic, considered auspicious.

In a garden variety of Western chart readings, usually the ruling planet of the Asc is considered to be strongest.

EJ53
05-30-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm trying to learn from this thread, but the "traditional"/"modern" astrology differences are confusing me. If comments here indicated whether they are based on modern or traditional factors, it would help me (and perhaps others) tremendously.

EJ:)

hermetic
05-30-2008, 05:09 PM
traditional way is by calculating planet strenghts by dignities and debilities, thru the link astro.teacher provided. modern generally sticks to asc ruler as strongest.
in my case I think both ways calculated(Moon and Saturn) are very strong planets, but being they are of very different natures, it causes a great tension. I can't decide which is the right way to calculate, being that both fit for me.

hermetic
05-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Venus is strong, but with Neptune it indicates a spiritual "love" rather than an earthly one. Neptune/Venus fall in love with love, and then is seriously disillusioned when the romance breaks up.

I thought I have replied to this already...

Just wanted to let you know how much is true for me - the one most prominent theme of my (love)life, it's eerie...
I am not picky about my lovers as I read Venus in Virgo suggests, rather the total opposite - I get so wraped up in an illusion about someone, just for the feeling I get out of it, I suppose. It ends up breaking me 99% of the time, I get hurt by my uncontrolled falling in love, cause I give a lot into in and the person usually turns out to be mediocre at best. or not responding. or not even there, ummm :o

blueheron
05-31-2008, 05:39 PM
I thought I have replied to this already...

Just wanted to let you know how much is true for me - the one most prominent theme of my (love)life, it's eerie...
I am not picky about my lovers as I read Venus in Virgo suggests, rather the total opposite - I get so wraped up in an illusion about someone, just for the feeling I get out of it, I suppose. It ends up breaking me 99% of the time, I get hurt by my uncontrolled falling in love, cause I give a lot into in and the person usually turns out to be mediocre at best. or not responding. or not even there, ummm :o

I see natal Venus square Neptune in your chart, with Venus in high focus of the cluster. Falling in love with love, then suffering from the disillusionment.

Neptune shows a "spiritual love" summons. Romantic love won't fit the spiritual criteria of Neptune.

Claire19
07-29-2008, 02:31 AM
I can see your problems with which is the strongest planet. There is nothing that is in its natural sign or house. THe chart ruler, the Moon is the most heavily aspected but it is in Aquarius and the 7th house, not strong placements.

They are all in the one hemisphere except for the Moon. I would look at your north node as it is the strongest indication for your path this time around. It is in the 12th in Cancer which is water element and strong. However you have a group of planets in the 4th, again Cancer's house and the Moon. Your main focus is with family, domestic issues, your roots and hereditary traits. Nurturance and mother. WIth your NN in Cancer as I have said this adds to the focus. Your later life conditions will be very significant, ie. after middle age. Also your Sun is there and that is our main indicator of the life path. WIth Venus ruling and in the 3rd, siblings and the local neighbourhood and everyday contacts are important. Also study groups and short trips, your mode of transport. You could be involved with newspapers or local media, transport system, general public in some way, print media. A mail order business from home, selling adornments and beauty aids. You are Aquarian by temperament with predominant fixed air and your Moon again is in Aquarius in Libra's 7th house. Legal matters may also be important.

:)

hermetic
08-25-2008, 03:43 PM
thanks Claire :) just one question, when you say later life conditions will be significant, what do you mean by it? how can one tell this, solely by Sun placement?

BobZemco
08-26-2008, 05:31 AM
Your 4th House is an House of Endings. It shows you the conditions at the end of your life.

You have 4 planets in the 4th, the Sun, Mercury, Saturn and Pluto. One thing you need to take into consideration is that Pluto is your Void of Course Planet. It has the highest degree of any other planet at 25* 58'.

That means that in your progresed chart, all planets will make aspects with other planets before they make an aspect to Pluto. That's also more or less true for the transiting planets.

It indicates an irritation or frustration in the house ruled by the VOC Planet. In your case that's 5th House with Scorpio on the cusp. It could be a matter related to children, romance, your leisure time, or another 5th House matter. You will find other sources of irritation/frustration in your progressed chart as planets progress and become the VOC Planet, even if only temporarily.

To determine the conditions at the end of life, simply delineate the house and planets. Part of your problem here that prevents you from interpreting the chart is that your orbs are way too big. 5 degrees for planets, 7 degrees for the luminaries in an applying aspect on a natal chart. There's no way Saturn and Mercury are conjunct.

juliana_angelova
08-26-2008, 07:09 AM
You have no planets in their own signs or houses but I agree with the poster who said that your Moon is strong because it is the chart ruler and very well aspected, indeed. Your Saturn also stands out because it is in the sign of its exaltation (Libra).

Talking of Libra (relationships), I think your chart is very much relationship-oriented. You have the Sun, Mercury and Saturn in Libra in addition to an Aquarian Moon. Your Libra Sun, Mercury and Saturn strive for harmonious relationships while your Aquarian Moon is able to maintain a distance from a situation and evaluate things without too much emotion. The Moon is also where we seek emotional fulfillment and security, so you will seek fulfillment through relationships (7th house).

Neptune is in a good place in the 6th house. The 6th is about modest service and Neptune helps to break down the ego exactly where that is needed. You will find it easy to idealize (Neptune) service and work (6th house) enthusiastically (Sagittarius on the cusp). However, because your South Node (what you already know how to do) is there in Capricorn (duty & hard work), you will have to learn how to spend some time in pleasant solitude (North Node in the 12th house) in surroundings that give you the feeling of home (North Node in Cancer).

Yuliana

Claire19
08-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Your 4th House is an House of Endings. It shows you the conditions at the end of your life.

You have 4 planets in the 4th, the Sun, Mercury, Saturn and Pluto. One thing you need to take into consideration is that Pluto is your Void of Course Planet. It has the highest degree of any other planet at 25* 58'.

That means that in your progresed chart, all planets will make aspects with other planets before they make an aspect to Pluto. That's also more or less true for the transiting planets.

It indicates an irritation or frustration in the house ruled by the VOC Planet. In your case that's 5th House with Scorpio on the cusp. It could be a matter related to children, romance, your leisure time, or another 5th House matter. You will find other sources of irritation/frustration in your progressed chart as planets progress and become the VOC Planet, even if only temporarily.

To determine the conditions at the end of life, simply delineate the house and planets. Part of your problem here that prevents you from interpreting the chart is that your orbs are way too big. 5 degrees for planets, 7 degrees for the luminaries in an applying aspect on a natal chart. There's no way Saturn and Mercury are conjunct.

I agree that orbs have to be tighter especially with conjunctions. I would maybe go to 8 degrees with the Sun and Moon.

Claire19
08-27-2008, 02:10 AM
You have no planets in their own signs or houses but I agree with the poster who said that your Moon is strong because it is the chart ruler and very well aspected, indeed. Your Saturn also stands out because it is in the sign of its exaltation (Libra).

Talking of Libra (relationships), I think your chart is very much relationship-oriented. You have the Sun, Mercury and Saturn in Libra in addition to an Aquarian Moon. Your Libra Sun, Mercury and Saturn strive for harmonious relationships while your Aquarian Moon is able to maintain a distance from a situation and evaluate things without too much emotion. The Moon is also where we seek emotional fulfillment and security, so you will seek fulfillment through relationships (7th house).

Neptune is in a good place in the 6th house. The 6th is about modest service and Neptune helps to break down the ego exactly where that is needed. You will find it easy to idealize (Neptune) service and work (6th house) enthusiastically (Sagittarius on the cusp). However, because your South Node (what you already know how to do) is there in Capricorn (duty & hard work), you will have to learn how to spend some time in pleasant solitude (North Node in the 12th house) in surroundings that give you the feeling of home (North Node in Cancer).

Yuliana

Absolutely brilliant:) analysis.

I would add that a home that is secluded, has a feeling of retreat such as a monastary type building, near a church and where you can grow your own vegetables etc. This will bring in the Capricorn South Node in the 6th of everyday needs such as food and Capricorn, tilling the earth etc. I feel that our nodal axis works best when we use our old skills and incorporate them into our new direction as indicated by the NOrth Node. Water sign Cancer in water sign can indicate living near a body of water and that will help you to feel calm and tranquil.

Claire19
08-27-2008, 02:13 AM
thanks Claire :) just one question, when you say later life conditions will be significant, what do you mean by it? how can one tell this, solely by Sun placement?

When you have a few planets in the 4th that complicates matters of course.
You need to look at the aspects made to other areas of the chart and the 4th house ruler and its aspects are very important. Remember keep the orbs pretty tight and dont bother with any minor aspects at all, nor stars or asteroids. When planets come along to transit this area is when influences will be the strongest and kick off events. THe progressed chart is also to be taken into consideration.