PDA

View Full Version : diabeties

starlova
04-05-2008, 08:21 AM
IS THERE ANYBODY WHO HAS DIABETIES OR KNOW
WHAT 5.8 MEANS?

I Had a non fasting blood test today which was 5.8 and was told its only bad if its 5.9
OMG thats only .1 away is this considered pre-diabeties?
i know its not a astrology question but i was in horay with a health question which im still trying to figure out the horay answer, but while im trying to find info on this maybe someone here could help many thanks

Looking to Jupiter
04-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I found this on the net

http://www.lifescaneurope.com/uk/diabetes/reuters/20071024elin024/;jsessionid=WMBOSY4T2KQDECUCERDB0GQ

You are right on the border of your sugars being good and going to diabetes. Perhaps diet management will be something you may need to consider. What did the doctor say?

GeraniumSA
04-05-2008, 09:03 AM
According to the article posted, NO, you are not pre-diabetic. Having a reading of 5.9 or above only indicates the possiablity of diabetes in the future, not probability (sorry about the spelling). The number is only an indicator for future monitoring.

Additionally, it is unstated in the article, but they are writing about type II diabetes, which is linked to overweight. If you are concerned, watch your consumption of sugars and carbs and monitor your weight.

I am pre-diabetic--(Jupiter on Asc).

starlova
04-05-2008, 10:33 AM
hmm thanks for that info looking to jupiter
I think a definate shake up in the healthy heating and excersise is overdue.
i had gestational diabities 2 times and its in the direct family to.

I know i have a hight chance at getting it at some stage in my life. geranium sa
i dont eat many hi gi carbs because of this.. and i guess now ill limit sugar to some degree, even if sugar is not what makes one diabetic.
I had the test at a red cross open day at the shops. like i said it wasnt a fasting one. just a blood one i had a protien drink b4 hand.

Ill get it done by a doc soon to get a proper hold on this. thanks for the info.

barty
04-20-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm Type 2.

Your 5.8 was non-fasting? You don't say how close the bood test was to the last thing you ate and drank. You really need to do a fasting test, don't eat or drink anything but water after 9pm and do a blood test first thing in the morning.

If you get a similar figure under those circumstances, you may well be diabetic. But its not too bad at those kinds of figures......I'd registered a reading of around 14 on a fasting test when I was diagnosed. You may well be able to keep a lid on it at this stage by exercising more and eating less sweet stuff. And if any medication is necessary, it will almost certainly be pills at this stage rather than insulin injections.
:-)

barty
04-20-2008, 04:22 PM
even if sugar is not what makes one diabetic.

It is!

Well - it's the body's inability to correctly process sugar that makes one diabetic.

starlova
04-27-2008, 02:37 AM
hi barty
i had a coffee around 2 hours prior to the test.. 1 spoon of suger in the coffee, milk, strong. no breakfast that day.. had the test around 11am id say.

my dad died from complications of it he was type 2 insulin dependant.

Im aware of the process of the body not being able to convert the suger properly believe me after all we went throught with my dad.

I was suprised at my 5.8 as it was around 4 last time i checked and i dont seem to have any symptoms,, excessive thirst, sore legs, going to the tolit all the time and wounds that take a long time to heal.. i certainly have not lost weight ..:rolleyes:

if you know of any other symptoms please feel free to tell me.
ive heard type 2 diabetics are happy if they test around 6, so ill just keep excersising and watching what i eat for now.. maybe have another test in a few months.

is it true you are allways regarded as diabetic once diagnosed? i know with diet and excersise you can control it and not need the tablets but.. your never out of the woods so to speak are you?

GeraniumSA
04-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Astrologically, diabetes is ruled by venus for the pancreas (Type I diabetes) OR by jupiter for the liver (Type II diabetes).

Your test results were skewed by the fact you had coffee--a stimulant, and sugar and milk--both contain sugars. You only need to fast 8 hours, but having anything other than water can skew the results.

Yes, it is a lifestyle--since you had gestational diabetes and your father died due to diabetic complications, I would consider you pre-diabetic.
I highly recommend reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
--ISBN 0-316-09344-0
--Author: Dr. Richard K. Bernstein
--Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
--Year: 1997
He was an engineer turned doctor who managed his own Type I diabetes and outlived most of his contemporary diabetics.:D

The other thing you need to know is aggressively managing your pre-diabetes can prevent further complications. Metformin is the current medicine of choice for Type II diabetics and it is very safe to take--it does not make you hypoglycemic. It's been used in Europe for a couple of decades and in the US for some time now with few problems.

barty
04-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Hi Starlova

I'd certainly echo what GeraniumSA said - definately your coffee would have affected the test results.

You've got all the early symptoms spot on - the longer term complications get pretty scarey, but only really apply to people who have it much worse then you and don't control it well.

I'm on Metformin, have been since diagnosis. I now take three other pills as well, Nateglinide, Gliclazide and Pioglitazone. Next stopo is insulin for me I think :-( The only problem I have experienced with Metformin is diarrhoea, but only for a week or two when my dosage has been increased. It's not a big issue.

But yeah, exercise, and cutting down on sugar, especially the processed sugar in cakes, sweets and biscuits (as opposed to the natural sugars in fruit which the body can process better) should be all you need to do right now. You might not even need Metformin.

Geranium I am certainly gonna check out that book as well :-)

Miss Saturn
04-28-2008, 09:16 AM
I once thought I had diabetes, got really worried about it at one stage. I have a Venus/Jupiter opposition, and wondered whether this has a connection the diabetes. A love of sweet foods can be linked to this aspect I thought maybe my body could not process it, I have to learn to discipline this aspect, but maybe my Saturn counteracts it on the Asc. Not really sure what causes diabetes, but I thought I had the symptoms once.

barty
04-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Quick potted summary of diabetes...

It's caused by a problem with the pancreas which secretes insulin, the hormone that allows the body to correctly process the sugar that is eaten.

There are two main sorts of diabetes, Type 1 and Type 2.

Type 1 occurs when something completely destroys the panceas' ability to produce insulin. It is often an auto-immune problem or illness, and it usually happens in childhood. Treatment is regular insulin injections for the rest of your life.

Type 2 occurs when the pancreas wears out slowly over time, or the body becomes less sensitive to the insulin that it produces. It occurs usually in middle age, but is increasingly diagnosed earlier in life and is being linked to the "obesity epidemic" in the developed world. If caught early enough, it can be treated by increasing exercise and decreasing sugar intake, but as the pancreas gets less and less effective, medication in the form of tablets are required. Insulin may eventually be necessary when the pancreas packs up completely.

Untreated type 1 results in an overload of sugar in the blood, unconsciousness, and death.

Untreated type 2 results in raised blood sugar levels for long periods of time. This damages the circulation, particularly in small blood vessels in the eye and kidneys. Nerves and circulation in the legs and feet can be affected.

Ultimately, without proper control over a period of decades, loss of feeling in feet, legs and hands, blindness, leg amputations and kidney failure lead to a decreasing quality of life and eventual death.

Sounds bleak, doesn't it? If you are diagnosed, your doctor will doubtless tell you these horror stories, but, the good news is, by regularly monitoring your blood sugar levels, eating sensibly, and exercising more, and by taking advantage of the free eye screening and chiropody you are entitled to as a diabetic, you can put back the onset of these complications by many years, and get treatment for them as soon as they begin showing themselves. I personally knew a diabetic that lived well into his 90s, and he died about 20 years ago. Modern medical advances have made life much easier for diabetics since then.

Courtney Love
04-28-2008, 01:34 PM
it's not just sugar you need to watch out for. What hasn't been mentioned is that they way your body processes food is to turn it all into a type of sugar, glucose. So staying away from sugar isn't all you need to do.

As mentioned before, carbohydrates (anything that grows in the ground, really) can raise your blood sugar and cause an spike, meaning alot of insulin has to be produced to bring your blood sugar back down to normal ranges. Repeatedly doing this over years can cause diabetes, simply by tiring out the pancreas, so to speak.

One of the best things you can do for youself is to take chromium Polyniconate. When i was diagnosed Mar 07 (blood sugar was averaging twice the normal rate, at about 220 - no symptoms btw) I cut out all carbs in a panic, and I was still waking up with blood sugar of around 120 (I am not on any medicine since those pills can seriously damage your heart) when normal fasting blood sugar should be under 100.

After taking chromium polyniconate, my fasting blood sugar dropped to nearly 100. Not too shabby for someone whose a1c test (the one you took which gave you the 5.8 figure) was a 9 when I was diagnosed.

So, long story short, you are susceptable to diabetes. Eat more green veggies (less starchy stuff like corn/rice/potatoes) and lean protein, try not to eat carbs by themselves (don't have just a bowl of mac and cheese or meatless spagetti for dinner) and take some chromium, which is also found in most veggies and fruits. And exercise a little, it makes a world or difference. good luck.

ETA: check out the book "death to diabetes" it's amazing. And it explains so much.

starlova
04-30-2008, 03:16 AM
WOW THANKS GUYS FOR ALL YOUR RESPONCES

geraniumsa.. I learnt alot forwhen my father had diabeties, i realise excersise and diet is the only favour i have to either not get it or delay it.
iam not a lot overweight but as im not 20 anymore i find when i put weight on it is around the stomach which iam aware of that its bad for both suger and heart attack situations.. im not really bad just not as good as i once was not long ago.

barty would the coffee i had make the test higher? so im actually not that high or would if i had not had the coffee been lower? confused:rolleyes:

courtneylove.. you have hit my point exactly about the carbs, this is something my dad had trouble with, he never really was a sweet tooth anyway, but loved those pastys at the footy lol
iam the opposite..:p i like suger in chocolate and cakes but not lollies or biscutts or suger in coffee, i think just 1 spoon 3times a day as i have 3 coffees is ok. and i dont like white carbs, never have eaten much of them and i stay away from them 99% of the time.
dont eat pot, rice little patsa sometimes only at lunch time and never cheese,,,rolls crisp that sort of thing, so im sure its not the carbs for me would be a problem

I was talking to someone today and she said her levels of glugose went up after she stoped eating for a few months due to stress then she ate again and her levels went high.. shes not diabetic but like me boarderline.

I did that reciently end last year lost 10kilos in 2 months of excersise and protein drinks soup and meat veg.. then over xmas lost the plot, gained them back, Its winter here now so i just joined a excersie gym for women where u can go anytime u like and they push u.. lol need it. so im just going to get that into me and eat more greens and see how we go.