Determining the Oikodespotes

Ninneveh

Hi everyone, so far I've found two differing ways to attain the Oikodespotes of the chart.

Via Maternus, the Oikodespotes is found in the following sign after the sign in which the Moon is placed at birth. Ex. If moon in Scorpio, then Oikodespotes is Jupiter, the ruler of Sagittarius. He also says that the Oikodespotes can never be the sun or the moon.

The other method, which I think derives from Schmidt, says that the Oikodespotes is the lord of the sign in which the Epikrateor is found.

Which of the two methods is most correct, or have I fudged something up with my recollection?

JUPITERASC

Hi everyone, so far I've found two differing ways to attain the Oikodespotes of the chart.

Via Maternus, the Oikodespotes is found in the following sign after the sign in which the Moon is placed at birth. Ex. If moon in Scorpio, then Oikodespotes is Jupiter, the ruler of Sagittarius.

He also says that the Oikodespotes can never be the sun or the moon.

The other method, which I think derives from Schmidt, says that the Oikodespotes is the lord of the sign in which the Epikrateor is found.

Which of the two methods is most correct, or have I fudged something up with my recollection?
Chroniclers of ancient times sometimes differed

HOW TO FIND THE OIKODESPOTES

1. Find Predominator of the chart

i.e.

sun by day or moon by night provided it is not cadent.

so

If sun is cadent and it's a day chart, then moon = Predominator.

If moon is cadent and it's a night chart then sun = Predominator.

BUT

If BOTH sun and moon are cadent

then ascendant = Predominator

DOMICILE MASTER OF PREDOMINATOR = OIKODESPOTES :smile:

Keep in mind that
Domicile master of Predominator (oikodespotes)

would preferably aspect the predominator

and

Bound ruler of predominator would preferably aspect domicile master (oikodespotes) of chart.

Ascertain whether these planets are “favorable” to the native.

SCHMIDT'S NAUTICAL METAPHOR

or

ANALOGY OF A SHIP AT SEA

'…...Hellenistic astrologers use 'the nautical metaphor' to describe a natal chart.

The ship itself = the native’s life = predominator.
First and second Trigon (triplicity) lords of predominator = winds that carry the ship to its destiny.
The third trigon (triplicity) lord = oars moving the ship.
Oikodespotes (Domicile Master) of chart = ship owner = the one who sets agenda or destiny for native
under restrictions set by bound ruler of the predominator.
Kurios (Lord of the nativity) = Captain of the ship = Executor = the one responsible to bring the ship to the destination
set by Oikodespotes (Domicile Master).....'

'…..Ascendant sign = “helm” of ship = physical life.
Domicile Lord of Ascendant = Helmsman = First Officer of ship.
Lot of Fortune = everything that befalls the native that is not of his own doing.
Domicile Lord of Lot of Fortune = man on prow of ship = Second Officer who is on the look out
for the things and/or events that are going to befall the native.
It is important that the Lord of Lot of Fortune be able to communicate with the Domicile Master or Ascendant (Helmsman)
or Lord of the nativity (Kurios)....'

MORE ON THE NAUTICAL METAPHOR THAT COMPARES THE NATAL CHART TO A SHIP http://www.projecthindsight.com/

Larxene

Hello Ninneveh, welcome to the traditional forum :)

I actually recalled seeing Valens talk about the bound lord of the Predominator, but not sure if it is to be elected as Oikodespotes. Please read book II of The Anthologies for further details. Also, Maternus did mention a few methods. He simply preferred the Moon's next sign.

I am also thinking of testing this technique, but I haven't read enough of the techniques associated with it. I think Maternus has some readings about when a certain planet is the 'ruler of the chart' and is combined with another planet, etc. Valens probably have some important technique that requires calculating the Oikodespotes too; I haven't got to reading it yet.

Also, not totally related, but there is a post where Christopher Warnock wrote about the potential connection between our guardian angel and the almuten figuris. A particular quote from Aggripa paraphrases Porphyry, Maternus (on the topic of Oikodespotes) and others: http://renaissance-astrology.blogspot.com/2011/08/guardian-angel-almuten-figuris.html.

Larxene Xenohart

Last edited: