Sidereal Astrology

Lulu-B

I love the idea of sidereal astrology. Does anyone else have any opinions? I actually feel both charts, tropical and sidereal. If you have programs out there and you have never done your sidereal chart I dare you to and then tell me what you think about it! Please I would love to hear about it! Or, if you think that I am crazy to be interested in it tell me that too.

Last edited:

Moulin

Sidereal, is sidereal astrology like Heliocentric?

If so, l dig it!

I'm really into Magi (although right now my computer is broken) :(

Lulu-B

I'm don't think that it has to do with that, but I'm ot sure. Sidereal astrology is similar to Vedic astrology in that it is based on where the plnets are actually located. I'm not sure about how to technically explain it, but where most people place the planets in the zodiac is based on where the constelations were on the ecliptic 2000 years ago. The constellations have moved since. Infact, they are about 25 degrees off from where they used to be. So, unless you were born withinthe last five degrees of a sign sidereal astrology would say that you are the previous sign. That includes all of the planets. So, unless your planets, asc, MC, everything is in the last 5 degrees of a sign it is considered in the previous sign
I still have your chart. So, instead of being a Taurus moon in Aries, you would be an Aries moon in Pisces. You would still be a Pisces rising though, I checked. Your whole first house stellium would be in Pisces though. Crazy, hah. Pisses alot of people off when you tell them they are not a Taurus, they're an Aries. Ha, ha, ha.

Moulin

ha ha ha

you know i prefer to be an aries than a taurus... not sure l want that **** stellium in Pisces though. Might explain why i'm so psychic though maybe?

Arian Maverick

Sidereal astrology is similar to Vedic astrology in that it is based on where the plnets are actually located.

I'm not sure that this is entirely correct; from my understanding, the beginning of the zodiac in Vedic astrology is based upon a certain calculated point that does not necessarily have the planets correspond with the constellations in the sky.

For one thing, not all of the constellations are of the same size, so the even thirty-degree divisions of the sidereal would be impossible to correlate with the planets. Not to mention that there are many more constellations in the sky than the twelve--now thirteen--that are on the elliptic.

Arian Maverick

Lulu-B

Arian Maverick you are so right! I know, that is where I just go nutty! I posted a thing about being an Ophiachus, the thirteenth sign; well, actually, the ninth sign, but that's what they call it. Vedic is different, I think that their houses are all equal too. I think Vedic follows the sidereal charting, while giving every sign 30 degrees. In my tropical chart my asc is 8* aqu. and Vedic it is 14* Cap. I could be off though, my sun, Mars and Mercury are all conj Neptune :rolleyes: so I do find that sometimes my understanding of things gets botched, and then I feel really stupid! My moon is in Aries, sidereal it is in Pisces, which internally I feel more. But, that could just be the conj with Nep. :eek: . Give me your defense for tropical because my favor wavers and I like to hear such things.

Arian Maverick

I'm not so much a defender of the tropical zodiac as I am a defender of using one's preference of zodiac in conjunction--no pun intended ;)--with fixed stars. In my opinion, this gives a much more complete picture than using either zodiac alone.

Arian Maverick

autumnleaf

I, too, have tried using Sidereal astrology. It changed my AC and Moon, but my Sun stayed the same as it's in the last 5 degrees. In some ways it seems to be right, but I always end up going with the tropical zodiac. I don't know if it's because that is what I have been exposed to the most. I don't know how to read the sidereal chart either. I confuse myself when I try to see if it can show/indicate I'm on the right career path for instance. Another part of sidereal that confuses me is Rahu and Ketu. One of them is Saturn, I think. :confused:

Arian Maverick

Another part of sidereal that confuses me is Rahu and Ketu. One of them is Saturn, I think.

I always thought that Rahu and Ketu referred to the Dragon's Mouth (North Node) and the Dragon's Tail (South Node), but I could be wrong; I'm not very familiar with Vedic astrology, either.

I do know that the sidereal zodiac places my entire Aries stellium into Pisces, which is a bit disconcerting...

But I believe the signs in this system are given slightly different characteristics than the signs in our western tropical zodiac system.

Arian Maverick

Lulu-B

Rahu is the North Node, or the dragon's mouth, and Ketu is the South Node, or the tail. Autumnleaf, try for a career to look at your MC and the sign that it is in. Then look at that sign's ruling planet and the house that it is in. Follow it as far as it goes. Post your info and I'll help you;) .

Lulu-B

:D What somebody told me about the differences of tropical and sidereal that really struck a cord with me is that your Tropical self is your perceived self. Since most people see this as the zodiac this is how most people see reality. Which I guess ift his is how most people see reality, then I guess that it might just be reality.She said that if you can live in the Sidereal world than the Tropical world is easy to navigate.
I don't know if I completely understand what she meant, but what I took from it is that your your Tropical self is your perceived self, probably not only perceived self by others, but by yourself if you are able to honestly take a look at yourself. When I read my sun and moon and other planets in the sidereal chart of mine I feel like it is the true me, but I know that most people might not see this in me. Most people see my Tropical gregarious Sag sun and my gung-ho moon in Aries. They especially see my kooky Aquarius Rising! I see how people see these things in me because this is the self that I watch projected to people. But, internally I feel like the Scorpio sun (reallly Ophiachus, but as not to confuse anyone I'll say Scorpio). I TOTALLY feel the Pisces moon. And I feel the Cappy rising because I worry about EVERYTHING! I have a huge fear of losing everything, even though I know I would be ok if that happened; I think that's pretty Cappy.
So, I guess I think Tropical self is perceived and projected self and the Sidereal self is the self that you feel as if internally you really are.

Think about that and tell me what you think. I would LOVE to hear it! Anyone?

autumnleaf

SiderealSupastar said:
Rahu is the North Node, or the dragon's mouth, and Ketu is the South Node, or the tail. Autumnleaf, try for a career to look at your MC and the sign that it is in. Then look at that sign's ruling planet and the house that it is in. Follow it as far as it goes. Post your info and I'll help you;) .

As soon as you and AM said this I remembered these are the Nodes. :eek: Though, from what AM said, I think I need to have a sidereal chart done. I only had a Vedic chart done and couldn't figure out how to read it with those funky, upside down triangle houses.
Tropical gives me Scorp AC and Sun, Pisces Moon, and Leo on the 10th @ 17 degrees.
Vedic gives me Libra AC, Scorp Sun, Aqua Moon, and I guess a Cancer MC.

MC=the side you show the world. I don't have the sharp, eagle-like features of a Scorp AC. I have softer, rounded features and dimples, which I've always read about under the Libra AC. I do have the penetrating eyes of the Scorp (Sun). The Moon goes both ways. I have strong psychic feelings/gut instincts and can be very sensitive and emotional. Though I related to the Aqua moon being called the "cold fish" in relationships and, according to my mom, I came into the world totally independent which I had always thought was associated to the fact that my sun is so close to being in freedom loving Sagi, but freedom and independence are two different things.
Tropical Leo MC. Not the mommy! I am not a good candidate for working with kids. I love being the Aunt! Spoil them, love them to death, then give'em back to mommy and daddy! :D Though I did almost go into radio broadcasting. Being listened to by a bunch of people appealed to that Leo MC, yet it kept me behind-the-scenes which appealed to my private Scorp sun.

Vedic Cancer MC. My co-workers laughed hysterically when I told them how this MC says I'm good management material. I am hot-headed with a very short fuse. I don't have the patience for those who learn slower than I do and I don't deal very well with the bs people like to pull. I tend to tell them to take a hike and do the work myself. :p On the other hand, I didn't do so bad self-employed as a massage therapist and get told by loved ones that I'm very good at it and they don't know why I'm not super successful at it.

See all this gibberish? lol Back and forth like the Scales or the Fish! Which one is messing with me? My Scorp planets are getting impatient and angry and wants them to make up their freakin' minds!! :rotflmao: I don't know whether I'm coming or going!

:D

Arian Maverick

is there a program that calculates it?

Of course, there's a fine line between the Sidereal zodiac and Vedic astrology, for although Vedic astrology uses the sidereal zodiac, they are not necessarily the same thing.

I know that Astrodienst has a feature in which you can select to use one of two versions of the Sidereal zodiac, but I do not believe that this is a true Vedic chart, for as another member mentioned, this tends to have the houses represented by triangles that are difficult for western astrologers to understand and interpret.

I'm not aware of a true Vedic astrology program, but I know that some free downloadable western astrology programs have Vedic astrology features that calculate the nakshatra each of the planets is located in.

Arian Maverick

Lulu-B

Hye Autumnleaf I've worked with some Cancers (your sidereal MC) and they're not patient! Thye're moody! One minute somethings ok and the next they're irritated by you. They can get all up your a@# sbout stuff! If they are unhappy with their jobs it can be twice as bad as I mentioned. What do you think about that?

Lulu-B

I would think that most programs offer you the option of sidereal or tropical . I have Kepler and it has it as well as once you select it it will automatically do your interpretation for your sidereal chart. Just look for a box on the program where it probably says tropical and see if it will let you change it.
Oh, and I believe that Vedis has an equal house system. So if your rising is 8 dgrees Aquarius then every house thereafter begins at eight degrees of the following sign. Vedic seems so depressing to me though. I like how western astrology has embraced the fact that squares and oppositions give you character and help you evolve.

Last edited:

autumnleaf

SiderealSupastar said:
Hye Autumnleaf I've worked with some Cancers (your sidereal MC) and they're not patient! Thye're moody! One minute somethings ok and the next they're irritated by you. They can get all up your a@# sbout stuff! If they are unhappy with their jobs it can be twice as bad as I mentioned. What do you think about that?

Yes, that sounds exactly like me! I cannot emphasize how impatient I am/can be. When I'm unhappy with a job I generally just quit, but I haven't had to do that since I went into the health care industry. Oddly enough, right now I love my job that's not in health care. I have no boss in my office which, I think, has a lot to do with why I'm still there after all the stuff that does irritate me.

autumnleaf

I found this about an unaspected Jupiter:

"Only a few have an unaspected Jupiter in their chart. They are lucky and subjects usually have a good sense of humor and lots of self-confidence. They are likeable by all and find luck and fortune in what others think as misfortune. Janis Joplin had an unaspected Jupiter in Cancer."

I'm at work, but will try to find something on it being in H12.