Jupiter in Gemini

Awaken to Silence

Not sure which forum this should go in.

What is the relative weights, so to speak, to determine how well-placed a planet is, between dignity/debility and aspects?

I have Jupiter in the 9th house, which is naturally good for Jupiter, but in Gemini, in which it is in detriment. However, I have several positive aspects to Jupiter and few negative ones.

So over all, is Jupiter positive or negative here? Religion/philosophy/teaching/travel is important to me, so I am hoping this house is well-aspected.

Here's the link to my chart:

http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?...=-Ys&asp=1&fix=1&sevenpl=1&ast=Algol,h21,h22,

It would seem to me that Jupiter in Gemini might mean being unable to make up my mind on my own beliefs. Perhaps if this detriment is overcome, then it will be positive?

athenian200

Well, it seems like your Jupiter may not be well-placed by sign, but it has some other dignities. Notice there are no squares or oppositions to Jupiter, but there are trines and sextiles. That's good.

The sun is above the horizon (just barely), which puts Jupiter in sect. That's also good. Using a couple of other rules of sect, it's above the horizon in a daytime chart, and also in a masculine sign. Jupiter may not be a fan of Gemini, but I think it would rather be in Gemini than in Virgo.

Finally, it has some dignity by one definition of face due to being in the first 10 degrees of Gemini.

So, while Jupiter could be placed in a better sign, I think it's not too bad.

As for it being in the 9th house... it doesn't actually joy in the 9th house, though it is a natural co-significator of it. It actually joys in the 11th. It is comfortable in the 9th, however.

Last edited:

Awaken to Silence

Well, it seems like your Jupiter may not be well-placed by sign, but it has some other dignities. Notice there are no squares or oppositions to Jupiter, but there are trines and sextiles. That's good.

The sun is above the horizon (just barely), which puts Jupiter in sect. That's also good. Using a couple of other rules of sect, it's above the horizon in a daytime chart, and also in a masculine sign. Jupiter may not be a fan of Gemini, but I think it would rather be in Gemini than in Virgo.

Finally, it has some dignity by one definition of face due to being in the first 10 degrees of Gemini.

As for it being in the 9th house... it doesn't actually joy in the 9th house, though it is a natural co-significator of it. It actually joys in the 11th. It is comfortable in the 9th, however.

Wow, thanks. There are more variables than I thought. I knew about face dignity, just forgot to check for this situation. But never heard of being in sect. Looking it up, I find that interesting. Thanks for the reference. That definitely helps.

jupiterianguru

Wow, thanks. There are more variables than I thought. I knew about face dignity, just forgot to check for this situation. But never heard of being in sect. Looking it up, I find that interesting. Thanks for the reference. That definitely helps.

That doesnt seem like that bad of a placement but with Jupiter you may be scatter brained and have trouble focusing on the bigger picture. That. Is all maybe you have luck being chatty and learning new things not so bad you are a good networker

JUPITERASC

Not sure which forum this should go in.

What is the relative weights,
so to speak,
to determine how well-placed a planet is,
between dignity/debility
and aspects?

LILLY'S TABLE TO EXAMINE THE STRENGTH AND DEBILITY OF EACH PLANET http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig4.html

I have Jupiter in the 9th house, which is naturally good for Jupiter, but in Gemini, in which it is in detriment.
However, I have several positive aspects to Jupiter
and few negative ones.

So over all, is Jupiter positive or negative here?

Religion/philosophy/teaching/travel is important to me,
so I am hoping this house is well-aspected.

Here's the link to my chart:

http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?...=-Ys&asp=1&fix=1&sevenpl=1&ast=Algol,h21,h22,

It would seem to me that Jupiter in Gemini might mean
being unable to make up my mind on my own beliefs.
Perhaps if this detriment is overcome, then it will be positive?

Traditionally, a planet in detriment remains in detriment

dignities2.gif

HOW TO READ THIS TABLE
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig2.html

DETRIMENT

'......I advise you to beware of the Effects or Influence of a Planet when he is in Detriment.....
For a Planet in his Detriment is like a person cast out of all his Estate without hopes of Recovery......'
(William Lilly, 'Choice Astrological Aphorisms' Merlini Anglici Ephemeris, 1676)

A planet in a sign opposing its own is in detriment
a word which literally means to be harmed or damaged.
A planet's own sign is its stronghold,
it follows that the furthest sign from this should be viewed as its most vulnerable position......
....because here the planets suffer loss of strength
and a reduction of potency.....'

'.....A planet in detriment is in a precarious condition,
more so if it is peregrine or otherwise afflicted.
To have many planets debilitated in this way in a nativity
is considered a sign of obscurity and low birth.
Firmicus described such a person as: wretched, poor, low of birth and constantly plagued by had luck (Mathesis, 2.3.3).

As well as considering a planet's own dignity or debility, it is wise to note how a planet 'responds' to another sign from which it receives an aspect.

"Be not too confident either of a sextile or trine Aspect in violent Signs, nor out of those Signs in which the Planets behold one another, yet essentially suffer" - warned William Lilly in his Astrological Aphorisms for Young Students.....'

Thus, Venus in Capricorn benefits more from trine from planet in Taurus than Virgo, since aspect from Taurus associates Venus with her sign of dominion while trine from Virgo links to her sign of fall
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig4.html

JUPITERASC

Natal Jupiter at 6 degrees Gemini is in its own terms and is recognized as being in a situation of temporary strength,
even though it may not otherwise suited to the sign it is in
so this overall condition of weakness is somewhat alleviated.
Ezra referred to such a planet as "like a man in his seat".
We could compare the situation to someone who rents or owns a holiday villa abroad.
The country may be generally unfamiliar
but there is a sense of security when surrounded by one's own possessions.
Lilly considered a planet in its own terms to be fortified
but thought that it: ....rather shows a man more of the corporature and temper of the Planet,
than any extraordinary abundance in fortune

Natal Jupiter at 6 degrees Gemini is in its own Face as well as Terms :smile:

'....Dignity Rulership by Face is the lowest form of essential dignity
Firmicus Maternus placed great emphasis on essential dignity by face
saying that a planet in its own decan is as good as in its own sign (Mathesis II.IV.II).
Later authors gave it less value.
Ezra described a planet in its own face as corresponding to a man with his ornaments and clothing,
while Lilly said:
"A Planet having little or no dignity,
but by being in his Decanate or Face,
is almost like a man ready to be turned out of doors,
having much ado to maintain himself in credit and reputation."...'

'....Decanate or Face portrays a picture of a person who carries some respect,
but is struggling to maintain it.
Essential dignity then, is used to symbolise rank, position, and someone's material standing in the world.
As a sign of esteem, it is also used to represent personal honour and integrity.
The more essential dignity a planet has,
the greater its position of strength.....'