PDA

View Full Version : Harmonic Charts

Moog
07-29-2013, 03:20 AM
Any evidence or suggestion of these, or something resembling them, in the western tradition?

Thanks

dr. farr
07-29-2013, 03:29 AM
Yeah, an entire Harmonic Chart movement within Modernist astrology developing in the 1970's and continuing on today-see the works of John Addey ("Harmonics in Astrology", "Harmonic Anthology") and D. Hamblin ("Harmonic Charts") Note that Addey (and other Harmonists) attribute their inspiration to ancient Vedic astrology, and actually there is more than a little "Vedic like" thinking, in the Harmonic works.

I have, to a certain extent, combined Vedic and Modernist "Harmonist" thinking, in my own eclectic approach to Divisions ("harmonic charts"/"varga charts")

Moog
07-29-2013, 03:43 AM
Thanks dr. farr

Since it's mostly thought that the Indians copped a lot of stuff from Persians/Greeks/Etc. I was wondering if there was anything in the *early* western tradition?

dr. farr
07-29-2013, 03:57 AM
Nothing that I have come across. And, I dispute that India took all that much from the Hellenists regarding either astronomy or astrology: just look at a few of the substantive differences between Hellenist and Vedic astrology:

+Hellenists used planetary decans ("faces")-Vedic used zodiacal sign decans
+Hellenists made extensive use of Lots-Vedic never used any Lots
+Hellenists used dodecatemorion projections-these have never been mentioned in Vedic
+Hellenists used planetary Time Lords derived from the D1 (original natal) chart-Vedic used Dasha Lords (defacto Time Lords) derived from the Nakshatras as indicated by the Moon (or, in Jaimini, Zodiacal Dashas instead of planetary ones)
+Hellenist doctrine was that retrograde = a weakening of a planet-Vedic doctrine is that retrograde = a stengthening of a planet
+Hellenist doctrine has Saturn as a day-sect planet and Venus as a night-sect planet; Vedic doctrine holds Saturn as a night-sect planet and Venus as a day-sect planet
+there is nothing even partially similar in Hellenist astrology to the enormous importance ascribed to vargas (divisional, actually sub-divisional) charts in Vedic, indeed Parasara ("the father of Vedic astrology") claimed that without taking the vargas into consideration one couldn't really understand the actual horoscope being studied!
...and the list could be extended further: my point is that the Hellenophile Western academics who have touted this "Vedic is just an extension of Hellenist astrology" baloney, don't know what they are talking about!!

Moog
07-29-2013, 04:01 AM
Good post my dear doctor. :cool:

I shall have to chew some of this further.