Detrimental Planets and Falling Planets in the 1st house

soratothamax

I read everywhere that Venus in the 1st house is supposed to make you care more about your appearance, but signs must alter that because I know people with Venus in Aries in 1st house who could care less about their appearance. One female in particular has Venus in Aries conjunct Uranus in the 1st house.

I also notice that people with Moon in Scorpio in the 1st house sometimes don't trust women that much, even though it's in the 1st house, and they don't always like to be around women.

I was wondering if these signs make a difference, and has anyone experienced it making a difference in their planetary expression in the 1st house?

soratothamax

Saturn is not expressed well at all in the 1st since the 1st is primarily a fortunate and "happy" house, depressing Saturn messes with it's mojo.

The receptive planets/luminaries such as Venus, Neptune and the Moon aren't well placed there either because the 1st is the most projective house of all the houses, so receptive forces don't like it at all.

The moon (which represents women in general and the receptive part of ourselves) is poorly placed in the 1st and Scorps, such a person may have trouble accepting his own receptive nature. Being uncomfortable with that part of yourself would have an affect outwardly. "As above, so below"

What about moon in caps? Would they have a hard time accepting their receptive nature?

soratothamax

I have Moon in Scorpio in 1st and know that having that kind of nature so broadcasted out in the open for everyone to see is uncomfortable. XD

I wonder about people who have Mars in Taurus in the first, as mars is considered very comfortable in that house, but Mars is in detriment. To add, maybe something like Sun in Aquarius in the 1st, Sun being a projected planet, but it being at it's detrimental state and if it has effected anyone?

waybread

soratothamax, when I read posts like yours, I wonder whether I read the same things.!
I wouldn't read Venus in the first as necessarily a preoccupation with one's apprearance unless other factors are involved. A strong Virgo-Leo blend, for example, can combine Virgo's perfectionism with Leo's feeling of being on centre-stage. Maybe, too, if Venus is retrograde, where its principle of attraction is turned inward.

I would interpret Venus in the first as normally making a person very attractive-- whether or not she feels that way about herself. Most women criticize their faces and bodies, but some have an attractive quality even when they don't have super-model good looks.

Of course, you'd have to see how Venus in the first is aspected and what planet rules the sign on the cusp of the first house for a clearer picture.

Venus conjunct Uranus could give your acquaintance a very unusual appearance. Also, with Uranus affecting the first house, it is hard for the person to be well-groomed. Just when she puts herself together, suddenly her hair goes haywire or her earring falls off, &c. Uranus often has a disruptive quality. If Uranus is well-aspected, the person may love freedom and liberty-- notably in Aries. Uranus in Aries is a generational placement, but fewer people will have it in the first house conjunct Venus. She may express freedom (Uranus) from standards of feminine beauty (Venus.)

Look to see how that Scorpio moon is aspected. Do you have Scorpio rising? Either way, Scorpio likes to be "the observer who is never observed."

Saturn rules the teeth and bones, so Saturn in the first is blamed for crooked teeth or poor posture! Theoretically it makes people on the small side, but of course genetics play a big role.

m0ney*p0wer*re$pect

I have a venus conjunct mercury and pluto in scorpio in the first and yes i do care very much about my appearance. With it joining pluto and being in scorpio i know the truth about my appearance and well aware of my flaws but i know im handsome, i just know its others out there that women will find more attractive than me.

Im saying that to say this, i try to keep myself together not neccasarily to look good but simply to feel good. My appearance reflects my emotions, so if im feeling down ill dress down and if im feeling good ill dress up. But I am particular about it just not in the general sense

Andrea_

The receptive planets/luminaries such as Venus, Neptune and the Moon aren't well placed there either because the 1st is the most projective house of all the houses, so receptive forces don't like it at all.

I have 6 planets in the first house :)) and Moon, Neptune and Venus are among them. In the past i had been very uncomfortable with my sensible side and receptivity that could be seen by others, because some, instead of seeing it as a nice and warm thing, being able to be compassionate and talk at a much different level and be very understanding, take it as an exploitable weakness.

I also have Uranus, Mercury and Mars in my first House, and they all conjuct each other. (well, mars conj mercury conj uranus conj neptune conj Moon conj venus but Mars definetly doesn't conjuct Venus or Moon) and Saturn sextiles/aspects them all from the second house. I think it talks about a kind of repression, but to be honest, i actually struggled a little not to care so much about others and follow this thing of the society about the appearances that seem to be everything

Last edited:

greybeard

Planets, signs...have multiple potentials for form of expression.

Venus, for example, is said to rule "beauty". But beauty has two faces, as do coins, and the other face is ugliness.

The reason that we must take care in judging the condition of any planet is to gauge the nature of its expression. There is a sort of sliding scale of expression for any planet, going from the extreme pole of "good" to the other pole of "bad." Usually the expression of a planet's energies falls somewhere between the two extremes.

It is by analyzing and interpreting each of the conditions that affect a planet that we can judge its probable forms of expression. The condition of the lord of the planet (Venus in Aries is ruled by Mars) disposes the planet to behave in a certain way. The sign itself is important, of course, but too often we ignore the lord of the sign.

The interpretation of a planet, and of the horoscope as a whole, is conditional. One thing is conditioned by another, and the conditioning reverberates throughout the chart.

The student of astrology should understand that there is nothing mysterious in the art. [Astrology is deeply mysterious, but I want to emphasize the common-sense and practical view, because students tend to want to see the mysterious and lose sight of the down-to-earth nature of interpretation.]

Take Venus in the First House. Venus rules "refinement"; but then too it rules "coarseness". The task of the astrologer is to determine where, on the scale of values ranging from refined to coarse a particular Venus will register.

Suppose we have Venus in Aries, rising. But Venus is squared by Saturn in Capricorn. Well, what is the nature of Saturn, and what is the nature of Capricorn -- an Earth sign? Might we think that Saturn in Capricorn, probably in the Tenth in the example, is "careful of appearances"? Earth signs are by and large conventional. But Aries is a Fire sign and very self-expressive and individualistic, leaning toward the new and daring. The astrologer then faces the problem of which will dominate, the careful and conservative Saturn or the daring, self-expressive Venus? But of course, the native of the horoscope lives with the same conflict faced by the astrologer. By looking at Mars (lord of Aries) and the other aspects to Venus, and well as her situation with regard to Sun, her motion, the Sixth House (which rules clothing and physical self-care), as well as the Moon (image).... we might discover how this person dresses, what appearance she will project.

But all this is too complex, too complicated, you say? Well, yes it is. But then human beings tend to be complex and complicated, too.

So, how do we interpret a horoscope?

Let's set aside the horoscope. Let's turn to a painting by Van Gogh called "Prisoner's Walk." It's attached here.

Van Gogh painted himself into the "portrait". See him there, right up front? He's the only prisoner looking your way.

Look at the colors.

Notice that the walls are so high they go right up out of the picture.

The prisoners are walking round and round and round, in a never-ending circle.

And so on.... We take the details, but we also take the whole. One without the other is incomplete.

Interpret the picture. Everything created by a person is nothing more than a projection of the inner self onto the canvas of life. What was Van Gogh's inner world like?

The same principles apply to the interpretation of horoscopes.

Attachments

• Prisoner's Walk, 1890, Van Gogh.jpg
    Prisoner's Walk, 1890, Van Gogh.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 37

greybeard

Addendum:

Let's try to frame the picture in terms of a horoscope.

The guards stand to one side. They dispose the activity of the prisoners. They are the lord of the horoscope.

Where is the Ascendant in this painting?

If you were to hang this picture in your palace, which room (House) would it occupy? In a horoscope, we would find that House to be somehow brought to prominence.

The lower half of the painting is dominated by blue; the upper half, clearly distinct, has more yellow, more light, but that light is out of reach of the prisoners. They are immersed in the shadows.

What role(s) does Saturn play in this picture? Mars? The Sun, and the light of the Sun, are hidden. The tone of the painting (we are looking at the general pattern or tone of the horoscope) is dark and dreary: colors are drab, there is an expanse of empty wall.... Which planetary energy seems to dominate this projection of Van Gogh's inner self?

The little tricks employed by Van Gogh, the artist, are very powerful and also very subtle. You don't see them if you're not looking, but they control your view of the portrait. Look at the foreground. There is a little more detail and clarity in the stones of the floor, and that one large and prominent joint between them points straight at Van Gogh and draws your eye, very unconsciously, toward him.

The painting is composed of myriad single brush strokes. No single brush stroke (like no single planet in a horoscope) makes the painting. It is the whole of the painting that creates the picture, that tells the story. The horoscope, like a painting, is a composition.

What does all this have to do with Venus in the First House? It has a lot to do with how to interpret it. I'll let you figure it out.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Look at the colors.
Exactly. Miniscule light blue... sparse light yellow... almost unnoticeable, if any, clear white

otherwise note the drabness... the dull tone...

Note absentees from the color spectrum...
i.e. significant total absence of deep red/light red/rose/orange
Significant absence of unadulterated green
:smile:
Addendum:

Let's try to frame the picture in terms of a horoscope.

The guards stand to one side. They dispose the activity of the prisoners. They are the lord of the horoscope.

Where is the Ascendant in this painting?

If you were to hang this picture in your palace, which room (House) would it occupy? In a horoscope, we would find that House to be somehow brought to prominence.

The lower half of the painting is dominated by blue; the upper half, clearly distinct, has more yellow, more light, but that light is out of reach of the prisoners. They are immersed in the shadows.

What role(s) does Saturn play in this picture? Mars? The Sun, and the light of the Sun, are hidden. The tone of the painting (we are looking at the general pattern or tone of the horoscope) is dark and dreary: colors are drab, there is an expanse of empty wall.... Which planetary energy seems to dominate this projection of Van Gogh's inner self?

The little tricks employed by Van Gogh, the artist, are very powerful and also very subtle. You don't see them if you're not looking, but they control your view of the portrait. Look at the foreground. There is a little more detail and clarity in the stones of the floor, and that one large and prominent joint between them points straight at Van Gogh and draws your eye, very unconsciously, toward him.

The painting is composed of myriad single brush strokes. No single brush stroke (like no single planet in a horoscope) makes the painting. It is the whole of the painting that creates the picture, that tells the story.

What does all this have to do with Venus in the First House? It has a lot to do with how to interpret it. I'll let you figure it out.

M

may28gemini

Ok, first off, planets in the 1st house WILL ALWAYS be expressed for good or ill no matter what because it's an angular house whether it be Mars, Venus, Pluto, Saturn, etc. Depending on what the planet(s) are will determine how a person's appearance gets expressed/modified.

Second, depending on the sign that the planets occupy gives a greater glimpse of how that planet behaves and gets expressed for the world to see.

Third, look at what's on the other axises of MC, IC, and DC. AC isn't the only angle that influences appearances. Other planets making aspects to the axises will modify appearances, too.

Fourth, since we're talking about appearances, taking a look at aspects to natal Venus will give a glimpse of how the native view themselves and their confidence (or lack there of) pertaining to their looks.

My ex-husband is Virgo rising with Virgo Venus on the Asc and he was one of the LEAST image concerned person I've ever met. He hated clothes shopping and wore old clothes and wouldn't buy anything new until there were holes in them. I was all too happy about that too because I think it's total BS for a man to be prissy and into his looks. I always bought clothes for him and he felt totally self conscious about wearing the nice clothes I bought him. He also had a thing where he doesn't want to shave... unless it's necessary like for work. During days off and vacations he'd grow a Paul Bunion beard and not care.

I am Libra rising with Libra Jupiter/Saturn on my Asc (with Saturn sitting exactly on top of my AC) and I am concerned about my appearance and appearances of everything overall. I'm not "overly" concerned but I might be considered more concerned than "average." On top of that, I have Pluto in the 1st house hanging out with Jupiter and Saturn so I can give off a heavy/ mesmerizing energy. When people are in my physical presence, they say my energy overwhelms them but I am a very controlled person albeit somewhat provocative when the mood strikes me.

It seems odd that a person with Venus on the AC (my ex-husband) be less preoccupied with their appearance than someone with Saturn on the AC (me) but it does happen.

Last edited:

Bunraku

So how would conjunctions that partly come from the 12th and 2nd house affect the planets in the first house? Surely the nature of the houses affect the planets in some way!

...How would the uhh...12th house operate things, normally? :sad: I don't understand that house very well

poyi

Premium Member
I remember reading article about ruler of the 2nd placed in 1st my actual wealth cash flow are easily be seen on how I dress and how much money I used on pampering myself on appearances in physical ways hahahahahah that was so dumb true! Venus in Libra ruler of 2nd in 1st house and trine Capricorn Moon I only enjoying spending money on my hobbies like buying books and have entertainment such as music and movie. Venus square by Neptune in Sagittarius from 4th, I am big on home decoration and furniture as well as happy to spend on gardening. While Venus also rules 9th house Taurus this part not so sure how to describe my religious view since Jupiter in Sagittarius really square my ascendant while Jupiter parallel and conjuncts with many planets/axises. I would say extremely board with my view of faith and principles that also really added a lot more colours on my appearance. On top of that also have Mars in Virgo aspect moon and mercury and Neptune. I think ascendant/1st house, based on what the planets in first rule and aspect can tell a lot more. The fall and detrimental planets alone is not enough always find the final dispositor.

M

may28gemini

Ahhh... the ruler of my Aqua 5th house is in the 1st house (Saturn). I'm a very romantic, playful person. I like games of all types- puzzles, sports, board, etc. Kids usually like me, even though I make faces at them :whistling:

Venus Neptune

I read everdoesn'that Venus in the 1st house is supposed to make you care more about your appearance, but signs must alter that because I know people with Venus in Aries in 1st house who could care less about their appearance. One female in particular has Venus in Aries conjunct Uranus in the 1st house.

I also notice that people with Moon in Scorpio in the 1st house sometimes don't trust women that much, even though it's in the 1st house, and they don't always like to be around women.

I was wondering if these signs make a difference, and has anyone experienced it making a difference in their planetary expression in the 1st house?

Hi honey.

Moon in Scorpio 1st house doesn't trust women? Make sense. Coz a friend of mine has it and he never open up around women. But I think degree matters.

I have Venus in Aquarius 1st house, along with Uranus and Neptune. Venus is in 4.19°, AS is at 2.47°. Uranus is in 17° while Neptune is in 4.54°. So you see Venus and Neptune they both conjunct each other and conjunct AS.

Well, as a Venusian risers I CARE about looks, which was weird for an Aqua. I spend time looking at myself in the mirror and during lunch break I'll be at the toilet figuring out hairstyles for so long the break ends and I barely finished my meal. Venus is in conjunct with AS at 1.31°, and I also I read somewhere about Aquarius at 4°. They wear a flower crown on their head and stared at their reflection.