Mercury conjunct SAN/Solar Eclipse

I am wondering if traditional astrology has anything to say about the effects of having the SAN being a solar eclipse, being only 10 days before birth, and being conjunct my natal Mercury, which I take to be in the 10th house. The Solar Eclipse that I am referring to was the one that occurred on April 7, 1978 at 17 Aries.

Also, as a new student of astrology, I am unsure how to judge when Mercury is a benefic or a malefic, or how to judge when any planet is an "accidental malefic/benefic."

Attached is my natal chart.

Regards,
Lucas

Attachments

• Lucas.png
    Lucas.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 27

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
LucasBridge said:
I am wondering if traditional astrology has anything to say about the effects of having the SAN being a solar eclipse, being only 10 days before birth, and being conjunct my natal Mercury, which I take to be in the 10th house. The Solar Eclipse that I am referring to was the one that occurred on April 7, 1978 at 17 Aries.

Hi Lucas, unfortunately I'm not able to answer this question directly. I know there are a few members of the forum who also have their SAN as an eclipse, so maybe they can give you some information about it. I can't recall having read about it, but maybe those with the placement have done specialized research to answer that very question.

Also, as a new student of astrology, I am unsure how to judge when Mercury is a benefic or a malefic, or how to judge when any planet is an "accidental malefic/benefic."
Judging malefic and benefic planets in horoscopes can be tricky, but we typically start with sect to give us a good overview of judging if a planet is on the native's team or not. Planets in sect will be, and planets out of sect won't be. So people born during the day will have more difficulties from the Moon, Venus, and especially Mars; whereas people born at night will have difficulties with the Sun, Jupiter, and especially Saturn. Mercury can be on either sect depending on his relationship with the Sun. If Mercury rises before the Sun it's diurnal and causes more problems for people born at night; if it rises after the Sun it's nocturnal and causes more problems for people born during the day.

Accidental malefics are planets that rule the natal 6th, 8th, and 12th house, as they'll carry on the negative significations of those houses throughout the native's life. Accidental benefics aren't really that much of a thing, but you could make a case for the planet ruling the 1st and 10th as being somewhat benefic.

Finally, we have what I refer to as "functional" benefic and malefic planets. A functional malefic is a badly placed benefic planet and a functional benefic is a well placed malefic planet. Now, this isn't something that all astrologers agree on, and it particularly wasn't a thing around the 1500s-1700s due to the strong Christian philosophy that was prominent in astrology at the time, but that's another discussion.

Hi Lucas, unfortunately I'm not able to answer this question directly. I know there are a few members of the forum who also have their SAN as an eclipse, so maybe they can give you some information about it. I can't recall having read about it, but maybe those with the placement have done specialized research to answer that very question.

Judging malefic and benefic planets in horoscopes can be tricky, but we typically start with sect to give us a good overview of judging if a planet is on the native's team or not. Planets in sect will be, and planets out of sect won't be. So people born during the day will have more difficulties from the Moon, Venus, and especially Mars; whereas people born at night will have difficulties with the Sun, Jupiter, and especially Saturn. Mercury can be on either sect depending on his relationship with the Sun. If Mercury rises before the Sun it's diurnal and causes more problems for people born at night; if it rises after the Sun it's nocturnal and causes more problems for people born during the day.

Accidental malefics are planets that rule the natal 6th, 8th, and 12th house, as they'll carry on the negative significations of those houses throughout the native's life. Accidental benefics aren't really that much of a thing, but you could make a case for the planet ruling the 1st and 10th as being somewhat benefic.

Finally, we have what I refer to as "functional" benefic and malefic planets. A functional malefic is a badly placed benefic planet and a functional benefic is a well placed malefic planet. Now, this isn't something that all astrologers agree on, and it particularly wasn't a thing around the 1500s-1700s due to the strong Christian philosophy that was prominent in astrology at the time, but that's another discussion.
Thank you, Kaiousei no Senshi for your helpful reply.

Am I correct in assuming that planets are in or out of sect based solely on whether it is a day or night chart, and that being above or below the horizon has nothing to do with it?

And by "badly placed" or "well placed," do you mean the planet's dignities/debilities and house placement? Or do you include the aspects that said planet makes as well?

Going by your help, and including what I have learned from reading "Traditional Astrology for Today," by Ben Dykes, I think I can say this about my Mercury:
1) Mercury rises before the Sun, and is therefore diurnal. Mine is a diurnal chart, so Mercury is in sect, and that is good. (Could we call it "essentially benefic," then?)
2) By Whole Sign Houses (as per Dr. Dykes on house rulers), Mercury rules my 12th (Gemini) and 3rd (Virgo) houses. Therefore, by virtue of it's rulership of the 12th house, Mercury is an "accidental malefic."
3) By Alcabitus Houses (as per Dykes on whether a planet is angular, etc.), Mercury is in the 10th and Angular (but 6 degrees from the 11th, so barely so), so it is strong. But it is also "under the sun's beams,"which is bad. And I would think that being conjunct the SAN/Eclipse is also bad, especially since that eclipse was one on the south node (but this is conjecture on my part). I would say that this makes Mercury a "functional malefic," assuming that "essential benefic" trumps "accidental malefic," and that "under the sun's beams" and the eclipse trumps being weakly angular.

In any case, my guess is that Mercury in my chart acts more as a malefic, i.e. against me.

Does this seem like a fair analysis?

Let me just add this: I was born with an ear infection which caused me to be deaf for the first 4 years or so of my life, at which point there were tubes put in, making it so that I could hear. I think that this is likely indicated in my chart by Mercury's rulership of my 3rd house, and Mercury's conjunction with the SAN/Solar Eclipse. It would be nice to see this analysis supported by authoritative texts or astrologers.

But again, thank you for your help.

Regards,
Lucas

tsmall

Premium Member

Hello Lucas, welcome to the forum.

Kaiousei no Senshi has it right, there is very little in traditional literature about having the prenatal lunation (syzygy) as an eclipse. It appears that eclipse astrology was more interested in what today we call mundane astrology than in natal. I have done some research into this, since my SAN was an eclipse, I was born in the hours leading to an eclipse (so my natal Sun is an eclipse point), and there were three other eclipses that occurred while I was in utero. One conjuncts my ASC, one conjuncts my natal Venus, and one conjuncts my natal Moon.

For the most part, prenatal eclipses are considered to be active for the entirety of the native's life. Although this is a more "modern idea" I believe it has it's roots in Babylonian astrology. It is also important to understand that the main purpose of the SAN in traditional astrology has to do with determining whether a chart is preventional or conjunctional, and then to look for the hyleg, or giver of life. There is a thread with a very good explanation of the method here

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46808

If Mercury is diurnal in a day chart, then his mission is not to work against you. That is why understanding sect is so important. What you would need to determine is what what Mercury's purpose is in your chart, and what his afflictions will be. Malefic planets could be malefic toward others, for example. Or, they could want to help but be so impeded as to actually get in the way. In addition to placement and rulership, it is necessary to examine the aspects he makes, and look to the condition/sect/purpose of those planets as well.

From my own observations, traditionally (well, at least in the Greek and early Persian tradition) planets that were observed to be making a phasis~that is either setting into or emerging from the Sun's beams, or stationing direct or retrograde~within seven days of the nativity were considered to be highlighted. They would have prominence in the native's life above and beyond what their zodiacal/house position might suggest. I would propose that planets that conjuncted prenatal eclipses should be placed in the same category, and that it would highlight your Mercury as something that would influence every aspect of your life.